PDA

View Full Version : What would be our record of Joe Judge was our coach this year?

TheLostDawg
10-08-2023, 03:25 PM

Lord McBuckethead
10-08-2023, 03:46 PM
Does he even like recruiting?

sandjunky
10-08-2023, 03:46 PM
Worse - he sucks

War Machine Dawg
10-08-2023, 03:54 PM
Worse - he sucks

You realize performance as an NFL HC is zero indication of a coach's ability as a college HC, don't you? Saban is the GOAT of CFB HC and struggled a little in the NFL. Spurrier couldn't make it as an NFL HC. We could go down a long list. It's a different game with different rules. Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh are about the only ones I can think of who've made the transition successfully.

Note, not saying I want Judge or that we should be the ones to give him a chance. But making a definitive statement on his ability to succeed in CFB because of his performance in the NFL is dumb. If he can recruit, sell the program to the media/public, and effectively delegate to his assistants, there's no reason Judge couldn't be successful as a CFB HC.

Tough Dawg
10-08-2023, 03:58 PM
Why does his name keep coming up? Turn the page.

DownwardDawg
10-08-2023, 04:13 PM
Nobody knows. He could hire a home run OC and DC and look like a genius. Or he could absolutely suck!!!
No way of knowing.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-08-2023, 04:19 PM
Croom 2 or worse

War Machine Dawg
10-08-2023, 04:32 PM

My guess is simply because he's a relatively successful alum. State fans love the idea of hiring "one of our own" whether it's a good idea or not. Personally, I'd rather hire outside the MSU ecosystem. If you want to give MSU connected coaches shots as assistants, we can talk. But unless one makes it big as a coordinator or HC at a smaller school, don't even bother putting him on the list as a HC candidate.

Goldendawg
10-08-2023, 04:43 PM

Isn't he back on staff at New England and they just took their worst home loss in maybe decades today. Brady and Gronk carried this team.

sandjunky
10-08-2023, 04:45 PM
You realize performance as an NFL HC is zero indication of a coach's ability as a college HC, don't you? Saban is the GOAT of CFB HC and struggled a little in the NFL. Spurrier couldn't make it as an NFL HC. We could go down a long list. It's a different game with different rules. Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh are about the only ones I can think of who've made the transition successfully.

Note, not saying I want Judge or that we should be the ones to give him a chance. But making a definitive statement on his ability to succeed in CFB because of his performance in the NFL is dumb. If he can recruit, sell the program to the media/public, and effectively delegate to his assistants, there's no reason Judge couldn't be successful as a CFB HC.

Yes I understand that and considered that

Saban had success at MSU and LSU prior to the NFL experience

Judge on the other hand has had no success at either level and his stint at the giants was dare I say Croomish

Leeshouldveflanked
10-08-2023, 06:14 PM
If I was going NFL route I would approach Brian Johnson- Philadelphia Eagles OC.

TheLostDawg
10-08-2023, 08:29 PM
Seems yall missed the *** it was a joke. I thought it would be funny considering all the 'what would the score be if x was our coach'

TheLostDawg
10-08-2023, 08:32 PM
If I was going NFL route I would approach Brian Johnson- Philadelphia Eagles OC.

Is that the same one who was qb coach under Mullen

TrapGame
10-08-2023, 08:35 PM
Is that the same one who was qb coach under Mullen

Yep, it's him.

SteelCurtain74
10-08-2023, 08:51 PM
Is Joe Brady still a hot commodity? I saw he is currently the QB coach for the Bills. I know he was fired as OC from the Panthers a couple of years ago but I think that was as much Rhule trying to sacrifice him to keep his job as Brady not doing a good job.

TheLostDawg
10-08-2023, 08:53 PM
Yep, it's him.

Interesting. No way I go from nfl to college. They don't have to recruit and in college it's almost daily. .

Wasn't it Moorhead that brought in some nfl guys and they left the next year

Todd4State
10-09-2023, 12:51 AM
Interesting. No way I go from nfl to college. They don't have to recruit and in college it's almost daily. .

Wasn't it Moorhead that brought in some nfl guys and they left the next year

Some coaches prefer one to the other.

I would imagine the NFL is pretty much daily too. Once the season ends it's time for the draft and then OTA's and mini camps.

Todd4State
10-09-2023, 12:58 AM

You are correct in general. However, Judge really struggled with some of those things in the NFL- dealing with the media and delegating to his assistants.

The hope would be that he learned from those failures and that we should be grateful he didn't "learn" while with us. Our media is a LOT easier to deal with than New York media. I mean we have Joel Coleman lobbing softballs like "tell us your funniest story about when you were a player" and in New York they're grilling you on everything.

And when things go sideways like they are now most of our media just goes mostly radio silent.

With Judge it would come down to whether or not he could get elite coordinators and elite recruiters like everyone else. If he brings a bunch of NFL guys with him- he probably has very little shot of success.

For me to even consider him again I would want him to be a coordinator for Saban or Smart for a little while to see how to run things especially from a recruiting standpoint.