PDA

View Full Version : If MSU vs Marshal and OM versus GT, your predictions?

blacklistedbully
12-03-2013, 05:26 PM
How do y'all see this going and why? Do we match up well versus Marshall? Does OM match up well with GT's triple-option?

engie
12-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Ole Miss will dominate Georgia Tech. Let's not forget that Wommack was DC there for Johnson's first 2 years. I'm pretty confident that he'll know how to stop the triple option given his past exposure to it...

Todd4State
12-03-2013, 05:31 PM
I think we match up well against Marshall. Wommack coached at GT under Paul Johnson so he is very familiar with their offense. Ole Miss will have plenty of time to prepare for them as well. I think it kind of depends on how down Ole Miss is about the Egg Bowl.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Very good points.

I agree with OM beating Georgia Tech. The triple option is an offense that is very tough to stop when you only have a week to prepare for it, and nobody else runs anything similar to it.

However, just like Saban in bowl games, if you give OM a month to prepare to the triple option, they'll stop it.

MagicDawg
12-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Of course, GT *knows* that they know, and they are equally as demoralized as OM is about their (double!) OT loss in their rivalry. I could see GT getting up for this game as salve.

Ok, wishful thinking.

bobcat91
12-03-2013, 06:14 PM
UM knew what we were going to run as well and Dak almost put up 150 yds in less than a quarter. I could see GT giving them all they want.

Todd4State
12-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Of course, GT *knows* that they know, and they are equally as demoralized as OM is about their (double!) OT loss in their rivalry. I could see GT getting up for this game as salve.

Ok, wishful thinking.

GT hasn't won a bowl game in years. I think they will be more up than Ole Miss.

BrunswickDawg
12-03-2013, 06:22 PM
GT hasn't won a bowl game in years. I think they will be more up than Ole Miss.
Terrible lately until last year - when they spanked USC in the Sun Bowl.

If the Tech offense that played UGA in the first half shows up, Ole Miss will be in trouble.

Todd4State
12-03-2013, 06:23 PM
UM knew what we were going to run as well and Dak almost put up 150 yds in less than a quarter. I could see GT giving them all they want.

Yes, but we aren't nearly as one dimensional as GT. GT threw the ball 186 times compared to 664 rushing attempts.

If GT can control tempo and wear them down- then yes, they will give them all they want. If they go with the Saban/Collins plan on defense they should be OK.

Todd4State
12-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Terrible lately until last year - when they spanked USC in the Sun Bowl.

If the Tech offense that played UGA in the first half shows up, Ole Miss will be in trouble.

I missed that somehow.

dawgs
12-03-2013, 06:25 PM
However, just like Saban in bowl games, if you give OM a month to prepare to the triple option, they'll stop it.

are you comparing freezus with a month to prepare to saban with a month to prepare???

blacklistedbully
12-03-2013, 07:23 PM
GT will win because they "will care more". It will be their "Super Bowl", their chance to show the world they can compete with an "SEC Powerhouse". Not only will Wallace still be suffering lingering effects of his flu, but that flu will have spread like wildfire through the entire Black Bear roster, putting OM at a significant disadvantage versus a foe who will be more "up" for this game than any other this year with the possible exception of UGA, as the world knows what an incredible accomplishment it would be to beat Ole Miss.

Naturally, GT will not actually beat Ole Miss. If GT wins it will be because OM beat themselves. It is not possible that GT could win due to their own efforts.

Oh yeah, and the ACC officials will also "screw Ole Miss" out of the W.

Political Hack
12-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Conner and Prewitt should be able to come up and tackle well against GaTech. I think leaving the WRs in one on one on the outside could hurt OM, but I don't see GaTech throwing up 35 points with the rushing attack.

Coach34
12-03-2013, 07:42 PM
It works both ways- Johnson also knows how Wommack defensed him in practice and what gave him fits in scrimmages.

But I definitely give the edge to OM

CadaverDawg
12-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Yea, given a month to prepare, ole miss will easily shut down the triple option.

Sincerely,

MSU vs Air Force in the 91 Liberty Bowl

We didn't have a DC from a Triple a Option team either though.

EnterpriseDawg
12-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Ok, we covered OM's bowl game. How do we compare to marshal? Anybody know anything about them?

State82
12-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Yea, given a month to prepare, ole miss will easily shut down the triple option.

Sincerely,

I wish you had not brought that up. Ironically, I was discussing that very game with someone this afternoon. I left at halftime to drive back and take the opportunity to go duck hunting the next morning after that debacle. One of the worst performances I witnessed during Jackie's tenure.

BulldogBear
12-03-2013, 08:58 PM
I wish you had not brought that up. Ironically, I was discussing that very game with someone this afternoon. I left at halftime to drive back and take the opportunity to go duck hunting the next morning after that debacle. One of the worst performances I witnessed during Jackie's tenure.

That was the first bowl game I ever went to. Not a big accomplishment since the last time we had gone I was 9! Bad Bad Memory. Wish we'd played AFA this year!

BulldogBear
12-03-2013, 09:01 PM
GT will win because they "will care more". It will be their "Super Bowl", their chance to show the world they can compete with an "SEC Powerhouse". Not only will Wallace still be suffering lingering effects of his flu, but that flu will have spread like wildfire through the entire Black Bear roster, putting OM at a significant disadvantage versus a foe who will be more "up" for this game than any other this year with the possible exception of UGA, as the world knows what an incredible accomplishment it would be to beat Ole Miss.

Naturally, GT will not actually beat Ole Miss. If GT wins it will be because OM beat themselves. It is not possible that GT could win due to their own efforts.

Oh yeah, and the ACC officials will also "screw Ole Miss" out of the W.

You know the script well. Yes, you do. You must have to listen to many, many Bears.

Todd4State
12-03-2013, 09:14 PM

Sincerely,

Jackie always let his teams play around too much when they went to a bowl. I'll just leave it at that. But yes, that was definitely one of my biggest pet peeves about Jackie. We didn't win a bowl under Jackie until 1999, and we probably should have won at least the Liberty Bowl, and the Peach at least once if not twice before 99.

Todd4State
12-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Ok, we covered OM's bowl game. How do we compare to marshal? Anybody know anything about them?

They took Virginia Tech to triple OT and lost. They look a lot like us- spread option team, but they probably throw it more and their QB probably runs it less than we do. Their QB has 34 TD passes and 8 rushing TD's. They're a big a physical looking team. They have a RB that is a 1K rusher as well and then they have a WR with 1K yards and another that has 13 TD's.

I think they'll be a challenge for us to be honest.

But this will be a home game for us essentially, and I assume Dak will be healthy. Perkins needs to go out with a bang since we are hell bent on playing him. Our corners are going to have to play well and we need to stop their run.

Political Hack
12-03-2013, 09:46 PM
they're 2-3 against teams with a winning record but score over 40 points a game. Should be a fun game, but I can't see them stopping our offense if Dak is healthy.