PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Thoughts- Peter Sirmon>Matt Brock Edition

StarkVegasSteve
10-08-2023, 09:10 AM
Well, we won. But once again, another week and another QB looking like they are playing against air. This time it was a 3rd stringer.

1. Matt Brock has to go and if Arnett wants to keep his job he needs to go this week. There is just no good way to look at it. We get no push from the DL, our LBs are good football players but are painfully slow, and our back end would be better off if they were not on the field.

2. It was good to see Mike Wright get some consistent PT. Great to see him actually get a whole drive and I thought his passing got marginally better as the game went on. The first pass was BAD, but he should have had a TD pass to Walley, but just an absolutely inexcusable drop there. Also, if we are not going to use him consistently with runs and passes, please do not put him in on 3rd and 8. That was another head scratching decision from Barbay.

3. This bye week is coming at the perfect time. We seemed to lose another player every play yesterday. It was incredible the amount of injuries we had at the end of the day. We need to use this week to get healthy and see who is available.

4. Really good to see Davis and Lee play the way they did. With the injuries all over the backfield it was good to see those two get in there and make the most of their opportunities.

5. WE FINALLY HAD A CREED WHITTEMORE SIGHTING!!! And of course, you get him the ball and he finds the end zone. I do not know how we continually can keep this kid off the field. If going 4 WR is what it will take then we need to go 4 WR. Not like our TEs do anything anyways.

6. If Will is not 100% full go in two weeks then start Mike Wright. Healthy Will has limitations, wounded Will would be a death sentence.

7. The next 3 weeks will decide the fate of Arnett. Get a win and he is probably safe, no wins and he is probably gone, and 2+ wins would make him without a doubt safe.

Leroy Jenkins
10-08-2023, 09:33 AM
Barbary's side of the ball is figuring out their stuff. Brock is dealing with more injuries but they are still inexcusably bad. It's like we have Jangle-Leg and Can't-get-Right for coordinators. We got about 12 days to pull our head out.

EdwardDrayton
10-08-2023, 09:36 AM
And for those who dwell on QB stats, Mike Wright completed seven of his ten pass attempts. That's a 70% completion rate for those who are math challenged.

tcdog70
10-08-2023, 09:41 AM
Ha, I’m smiling thinking of all the idiots wanting Dan back. Remember all the times we suxed against shitty teams, UMass, Samford and of course the South Alabama game with shorts no less. Yep, our defense looks lost and I wish ZA would take them back. I don’t know who He is redshirting but He needs to play anyone that can help. When you can’t pressure a MAC team you have a problem.

Now 41 points and taking Knee on the two is pretty good. Offfense seems to be getting better. Our special team are maybe the best I can remember and I go back to Paul Davis. If we can play better on defense then beating The Hogs, Barners and Wildcats seems possible. Hell, I think Arizona is just as good as them. Remember our Coach died and ZA might need some time to get His shit together.

Quaoarsking
10-08-2023, 09:45 AM
Ha, I’m smiling thinking of all the idiots wanting Dan back. Remember all the times we suxed against shitty teams, UMass, Samford and of course the South Alabama game with shorts no less.

Dan Mullen literally had 1 bad loss in 9 years. That's a great ratio anywhere in the SEC.

EdwardDrayton
10-08-2023, 09:45 AM
We have a big problem on defense. The only players we have are linebackers who can tackle. Unfortunately they get to do it a lot. The dline is invisible and there is no speed anywhere.

FISHDAWG
10-08-2023, 09:55 AM
What I don't get is why ZA isn't calling the defense himself.... I know we lost a few key players there but not the entire squad.... he said in an interview that he only signals while Brock calls the play because Brock is the one that has studied film because ZA is busy doing head coach stuff..... my question is if Dan Mullen and Mike Leach could call plays and keep control of the offense while doing head coach stuff then why can't ZA do the same thing with the defense

Turfdawg67
10-08-2023, 09:58 AM
Dan Mullen literally had 1 bad loss in 9 years. That's a great ratio anywhere in the SEC.

Saban has had one bad loss in all of his seasons, La Tech in year 1, Dan's was in year 8, two years removed from rising to #1. Just shows his lack of caring and wanting to get out (Maryland?) as fast as he could. Dan is a great coach but y'all longing for him is like battered wife syndrome. He could have done so much more here if he gave a shit.

Cooterpoot
Doesn't matter who coaches the defense. The talent is gone.
Offense doesn't have to face a good defense again except A&M.
I don't care who starts at QB. It's all about the same either way. Just a different play sheet.
Damn special teams has been solid!

Cooterpoot
Saban has had one bad loss in all of his seasons, La Tech in year 1, Dan's was in year 8, two years removed from rising to #1. Just shows his lack of caring and wanting to get out (Maryland?) as fast as he could. Dan is a great coach but y'all longing for him is like battered wife syndrome. He could have done so much more here if he gave a shit.

He lost to Croom

Turfdawg67
10-08-2023, 10:02 AM
He lost to Croom

Mullen > Croom > Saban... it all makes sense now. Lol

TNDawg35
10-08-2023, 10:02 AM
Doesn't matter who coaches the defense. The talent is gone.
Offense doesn't have to face a good defense again except A&M.
I don't care who starts at QB. It's all about the same either way. Just a different play sheet.
Damn special teams has been solid!

A&M defensive line may kill Rogers if he plays. They looked unreal yest against Bama. You put Jaylon Daniels or even Spencer Sanders on A&M, they would be unreal. They just don’t have a qb.

Cooterpoot
10-08-2023, 10:07 AM
A&M defensive line may kill Rogers if he plays. They looked unreal yest against Bama. You put Jaylon Daniels or even Spencer Sanders on A&M, they would be unreal. They just don’t have a qb.

They probably beat AL with their starting QB. Heck, they had two scores called back.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-08-2023, 10:40 AM

Horse crap! We were 14 point favorites at home in the 2017 Egg Bowl. Bo Wallace, on one leg, beat his best team in 2014 with a playoff spot on the line. And 1st year Bucky out coached him in 2012. Those were all inexcusable.

tcdog70
10-08-2023, 10:56 AM
Horse crap! We were 14 point favorites at home in the 2017 Egg Bowl. Bo Wallace, on one leg, beat his best team in 2014 with a playoff spot on the line. And 1st year Bucky out coached him in 2012. Those were all inexcusable.

You beat me to it. What World does He live in. Dan had plenty of shitty games.

StarkVegasSteve
10-08-2023, 11:04 AM
You beat me to it. What World does He live in. Dan had plenty of shitty games.

And yet he was still either the best or in the top 3 of best coaches we have ever had. People who would not take Dan back are still stuck on him leaving. He left for a better opportunity at the playoffs. Had we not hired a dud as the next HC I think people would have gotten over it. And btw, Dan is not coming back. He is happy being retired at this point. Maybe he gets the itch in the next 5 years but for now we would have to make him a STRONG offer.

tcdog70
10-08-2023, 11:10 AM
And yet he was still either the best or in the top 3 of best coaches we have ever had. People who would not take Dan back are still stuck on him leaving. He left for a better opportunity at the playoffs. Had we not hired a dud as the next HC I think people would have gotten over it. And btw, Dan is not coming back. He is happy being retired at this point. Maybe he gets the itch in the next 5 years but for now we would have to make him a STRONG offer.

Dan had a good run, but he did some stupid shit. He could have done so much better. He got to #1 then shit the bed. The dumbest thing He did was leave when he would have had his best DEFENSE and Fitz and an offense perfect for his scheme. Easily would have been a ten game winner,

BlackSailsDawg
10-08-2023, 11:21 AM
They probably beat AL with their starting QB. Heck, they had two scores called back.

Johnson took a beating against bama. A couple of times I thought he wasn't going to get up.

DownwardDawg
10-08-2023, 11:47 AM

Bama had 14 or 15 penalties. Played extremely sloppy. If Bama plays clean like they usually do, that game yesterday is a blowout.

DownwardDawg
10-08-2023, 11:49 AM
Agree. Mullen could have won the west at least twice had he given the effort.

Bothrops
10-08-2023, 08:10 PM
Well, we won. But once again, another week and another QB looking like they are playing against air. This time it was a 3rd stringer.

1. Matt Brock has to go and if Arnett wants to keep his job he needs to go this week. There is just no good way to look at it. We get no push from the DL, our LBs are good football players but are painfully slow, and our back end would be better off if they were not on the field.

2. It was good to see Mike Wright get some consistent PT. Great to see him actually get a whole drive and I thought his passing got marginally better as the game went on. The first pass was BAD, but he should have had a TD pass to Walley, but just an absolutely inexcusable drop there. Also, if we are not going to use him consistently with runs and passes, please do not put him in on 3rd and 8. That was another head scratching decision from Barbay.

3. This bye week is coming at the perfect time. We seemed to lose another player every play yesterday. It was incredible the amount of injuries we had at the end of the day. We need to use this week to get healthy and see who is available.

4. Really good to see Davis and Lee play the way they did. With the injuries all over the backfield it was good to see those two get in there and make the most of their opportunities.

5. WE FINALLY HAD A CREED WHITTEMORE SIGHTING!!! And of course, you get him the ball and he finds the end zone. I do not know how we continually can keep this kid off the field. If going 4 WR is what it will take then we need to go 4 WR. Not like our TEs do anything anyways.

6. If Will is not 100% full go in two weeks then start Mike Wright. Healthy Will has limitations, wounded Will would be a death sentence.

7. The next 3 weeks will decide the fate of Arnett. Get a win and he is probably safe, no wins and he is probably gone, and 2+ wins would make him without a doubt safe.

Sirmon welcomes all comers.

civildawg
10-09-2023, 04:28 PM
Seriously, we haven't announced Brock's firing yet? I forgot until Hadad's podcast today that Brock was the special teams coach a couple of years ago and then was reassigned because special teams was so bad. Dude should have been showed the door years ago

StarkVegasSteve
10-09-2023, 04:51 PM
Seriously, we haven't announced Brock's firing yet? I forgot until Hadad's podcast today that Brock was the special teams coach a couple of years ago and then was reassigned because special teams was so bad. Dude should have been showed the door years ago

Yep. I remember wanting him fired in 2021 and being blown away Leach did not can him after the Arkansas debacle.