PDA

View Full Version : UM being up means only one thing

TaleofTwoDogs
10-07-2023, 09:42 PM
MSU will be down and that is what's happening now. The only time both schools were flying high was 2014. Poor, small Mississippi can't supply both the money and talent to support two SEC teams plus USM. This has been known for decades and apparently it is true today as it was in the past. UM has Kiffin, a better marketing program and more influential alumni. We tripped out of the starting gate and UM jumped the lead. We need to get it back somehow.

lastmajordog
10-07-2023, 09:53 PM
I think I remember Rick Cleveland writing some lawyers stopped merging the schools. They and their families should be cursed. Imagine a LSU in Mississippi;

confucius say
10-07-2023, 09:54 PM
We were both 8-4 last year

Maroonthirteen
10-07-2023, 09:55 PM
Meh. SEC recruits more nationally. Sure, having MS kids is huge and can be the backbone of the program. However they have players from everywhere contributing.

How we got to where we are.... leadership. They went after Kiffen and unloaded the bank to keep him. We.... waffled on firing Moorhead. MSU Had to go to our 3-4th option for Leach. We have a roster full of receivers. Leach dies. MSU leadership makes a bad situation worse.... makes a guy HC with very little coaching experience. Huge mistake.

Then all the other stuff.... State has just a few serious fans. ....even fewer give. Ugh...

Mjoelner34
10-07-2023, 10:02 PM
I think I remember Rick Cleveland writing some lawyers stopped merging the schools. They and their families should be cursed. Imagine a LSU in Mississippi;

That may have been the same article I read years ago but I remember reading that Mississippi A&M was going to be part of UM in Oxford but as it was being formed or either after the first year, the aristocratic delta planters didn't want people they viewed as being the 'help' being educated with their children so Mississippi A&M was formed as it's own stand-alone school.

SpaceBully
10-07-2023, 10:11 PM
That may have been the same article I read years ago but I remember reading that Mississippi A&M was going to be part of UM in Oxford but as it was being formed or either after the first year, the aristocratic delta planters didn't want people they viewed as being the 'help' being educated with their children so Mississippi A&M was formed as it's own stand-alone school.

This is correct. Two different classes of people.

Pancho
10-07-2023, 11:15 PM
still are today

Dawgology
10-08-2023, 12:35 AM
still are today

Yep. And all the aristocrat farmers now speak Mandarin

Thick
10-08-2023, 06:48 AM
We were both 8-4 last year

OM finished 8-5. They went 1-5 down the stretch. We finished 9-4

R2Dawg
10-08-2023, 07:13 AM
Meh. SEC recruits more nationally. Sure, having MS kids is huge and can be the backbone of the program. However they have players from everywhere contributing.

How we got to where we are.... leadership. They went after Kiffen and unloaded the bank to keep him. We.... waffled on firing Moorhead. MSU Had to go to our 3-4th option for Leach. We have a roster full of receivers. Leach dies. MSU leadership makes a bad situation worse.... makes a guy HC with very little coaching experience. Huge mistake.

Then all the other stuff.... State has just a few serious fans. ....even fewer give. Ugh...

Pretty much summary since Mullen left.

I understand one thinking having some continuity after Leach died but that was a huge mistake. I think the team and MSU needed to move on. I think some of what we are seeing is the Leach hangover - everything his death, recruiting, style, etc. We need a fresh look like when Mullen came in.

Cooterpoot
10-08-2023, 08:30 AM
Little difference in HS recruiting. They went and got coaches and portal guys. We scratched our dicks and hired a guy that we shouldn't have & did nothing in the portal.

TheLostDawg
10-08-2023, 09:33 AM
Little difference in HS recruiting. They went and got coaches and portal guys. We scratched our dicks and hired a guy that we shouldn't have & did nothing in the portal.

This. Why we needed an ad to make the hire. Cohen made the tough decision moving on from Henderson.

Funny, I couldn't remember Henderson last name. Looked up former coaches, wiki came up. Goes from Cohen to Lemonis with the gap of Cannizaro , can Henderson not listed those two years.

TheLostDawg
10-08-2023, 09:37 AM
Win and people will start putting money in. Why having a good coach and staff is so important.
An AD could have guided Arnett in building his staff. Not so many inexperienced coaches. Yes he would have let him get the guys, or try to, he wanted but again with guidance and thought. Seems he got some bad advice building this staff. Not that some won't or himself be great but takes time to do so and you doing have that in the SEC. Time is money.

I feel like we're back to the MSU everyone always thinks we are

Turfdawg67
10-08-2023, 09:42 AM
MSU will be down and that is what's happening now. The only time both schools were flying high was 2014. Poor, small Mississippi can't supply both the money and talent to support two SEC teams plus USM. This has been known for decades and apparently it is true today as it was in the past. UM has Kiffin, a better marketing program and more influential alumni. We tripprd out of the starting gate and UM jumped the lead. We need to get it back somehow.

On NAFOOM a couple weeks ago, most of their posters wanted Kiffin gone. Lol

DownwardDawg
10-08-2023, 10:45 AM
The two will never separate from the other. It'll never happen. People of the state are too closely connected.
We'll fire Arnett, make a hire that surprises everyone, and Lane will leave for another job. It's that easy how fast it changes. Always does. They will suck as bad as we are right now in a couple years. Then it'll all start turning again. It is what it is.

That was just a hypothetical example, but it'll be something close to that.

Goldendawg
10-08-2023, 10:58 AM
MSU will be down and that is what's happening now. The only time both schools were flying high was 2014. Poor, small Mississippi can't supply both the money and talent to support two SEC teams plus USM. This has been known for decades and apparently it is true today as it was in the past. UM has Kiffin, a better marketing program and more influential alumni. We tripprd out of the starting gate and UM jumped the lead. We need to get it back somehow.

Wonder how much they paid Chuck Lidel (sp?) ala Kathy Perry to attend and get a shot on National TV that celebrities regularly attend their games (great marketing BTW). They have a Nationally known coach ,exciting O, players and fans, sold out games, and soon to be top 15 team. We have a 2/3 filled stadium (average to date this year), a dying season, & CZA and his band of incompetent Asst. "Coaches". We hire a legend in Coach Leach and had success. They reacted with Lane and they are having success. Coach Leach passes away and we react with CZA. What is wrong with the picture for us now? This is a clown show , but keep this up & we won't have enough fans at the games to fill the clown car. Have lived through Shira, Felker, Croom & JoMo but honestly thought we had learned our lessons and were beyond this. We have enough $ to be better than this! Leadership from Keenum (including academic rankings) down is totally unacceptable at this time!!!!

DEDawg
10-08-2023, 11:06 AM
Good news is the right HC and QB combo can turn around a P5 problem extremely fast. Hopefully our administration realizes promoting a never before HC with a defensive background was an incredibly inept thing to do and moves on this year.

KOdawg1
10-08-2023, 11:59 AM
OM has more fans who want to win than we do.

We like to win, but don't need to. Way too many casuals.

EdwardDrayton
10-08-2023, 01:27 PM
They hired a legitimate coach?