PDA

View Full Version : Higher football ceiling: ULL or Louisiana Tech?

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Was thinking about this question.

Which school has the greater ceiling and more resources to be good at football?

Jack Lambert
12-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Tech. They are in Conference USA which has a little more street credit then the conference ULLA has.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech. They are in Conference USA which has a little more street credit then the conference ULLA has.

Interesting.

I was curious because I was thinking Tech as well, but, with ULL's facility renovations and Lafayette being a better town than Ruston, I was wondering ULL might have surpassed them.

Jack Lambert
12-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Interesting.

I was curious because I was thinking Tech as well, but, with ULL's facility renovations and Lafayette being a better town than Ruston, I was wondering ULL might have surpassed them.

I think what make C-USA better is the bowl tie in's with other confereces like the SEC. You have to ask your self would you rather go to a lower tier SEC team or to the Sun Belt team or mid atlantic team? Same principle in this case. Not as much difference but the same principle.

gtowndawg
12-03-2013, 05:31 PM
I really have no idea about facilities or anything like that, but because of Bradshaw and a few others, I just think they have more tradition to sell.

Where Louisiana screwed up was having all the directional schools. If they had LSU and Tech and that was it, it would be interesting I think.

engie
12-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech traditionally... ULL in the future if they can hold Hud for another year or two... and if those facilities ever come to fruition in Lafayette

OldFatDog
12-03-2013, 05:53 PM
I really have no idea about facilities or anything like that, but because of Bradshaw and a few others, I just think they have more tradition to sell.

Where Louisiana screwed up was having all the directional schools. If they had LSU and Tech and that was it, it would be interesting I think.

LSU loses nothing to the directional schools. Not recruits, fans or money. If those schools disappeared tomorrow, LSU sports wouldn't change a bit.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2013, 05:56 PM
If your going to have one flagship university, you have to have directional schools so that there is enough infrastructure for quality higher education to exist within the state.

We need to remember that these schools are "schools' first, "research centers" second, and athletic sponsoring entities third.

bobcat91
12-04-2013, 02:22 AM
Tech traditionally... ULL in the future if they can hold Hud for another year or two... and if those facilities ever come to fruition in Lafayette

Hud is raising money for the facilities push because they are trying to get into CUSA. They have a 2 year plan.

BulldogBear
12-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Why does this seem like a back door for a Hudspeth plug?***

BulldogBear
12-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Hud is raising money for the facilities push because they are trying to get into CUSA. They have a 2 year plan.

I'm sure that is the desire but am unsure if that can be seen thru that quickly. I don't know if a small conference would be the one to first experiment with trying 16 again. There is no room in CUSA for another school unless there is more expansion elsewhere to rob them of a school or two. Then ot is also hard for me to see ULL going without ULM, which would make Tech have an absolute cow and even may can block (don't know CUSA expansion rukes or bylaws). Also who wants 3 schools from one state that's not FL, TX, or CA?

32 Dive
12-04-2013, 09:12 AM
ULL needs to lose the last L. I know they've been trying for decades. But, they would have a lot more brand worth, if they were just the University of Louisiana.

But there is a reason for this, in my estimation. Just as there has always been a dominance by LSU, and I don't mean athletically, there has also been an anti-LSU sentiment. LSU wants no resistance from a clear #2 school. "Keep em struggling among themselves, and not with us."

Political Hack
12-04-2013, 09:44 AM
ULaLa by far IMO. They are in south Louisiana closer to the state's population base and can recruit Texas and Mississippi easily. They also have better fans, a better city, are investing more in their program, and currently have a better coaching staff.

Conferences won't really matter until the 20 team conference realignment happens and they're positioning themselves to make a play for a big boy conference. If they start packing 50k into a south Louisiana stadium, they could easily be one of the 100 schools brought into five 20-team conferences.

Johnson85
12-04-2013, 10:10 AM

Louisiana was smart for having all the directional schools. It was set up by design to have LSU as THE university in the state. If they only had LSU and Tech, it would have only taken one bad run by LSU for Tech to establish themselves as a comparable school, eventually causing resources to be split between the schools. With all the directional schools, there is no doubt that LSU will be getting the lion's share of any investment for things other than the core educational functions of the schools.

gtowndawg
12-04-2013, 10:52 AM
What I meant was I WISH Louisiana had created two major schools. Not because it would be good for them, but because it would be good for everyone else. Meaning, let them see what it's like fighting it out with schools in your own state, possibly one of which could have been an SEC school. If it was LSU and Tech 100 years ago, like State/Ole Miss, Bama/Auburn, we would have a different landscape down there.

Unfortunately for us, they made the right choice, one that we should have made, but hindsight is 20/20.