PDA

View Full Version : Who is the general contractor doing the Hump reno?

Tough Dawg
10-06-2023, 04:42 PM
Anybody know the liquidated damages if it?s not done in time??

CaptainObvious
10-06-2023, 04:49 PM
It will NEVA be done in time!

Homedawg
10-06-2023, 04:54 PM
Th ere was a big daily fine. Including missed games etc. but I'm not sure the original group is still doing it. So not sure.

msstate7
10-06-2023, 05:33 PM
Thrash?

msstate7
10-06-2023, 05:39 PM
Here's a link to the plans...

https://plans.fm.msstate.edu/jobs/10710/specs/21-117-phase-one-addition-and-renovation-to-humphrey-coliseum-concourse

You can find liquidated damages in there

Saltydog
10-06-2023, 05:55 PM
Anybody know the liquidated damages if it?s not done in time??

W/o looking it up I'd say Jesco. They seem to get everything on campus and have for a long time.

Homedawg
10-06-2023, 06:17 PM
W/o looking it up I'd say Jesco. They seem to get everything on campus and have for a long time.

It is not jesco

Santiago
10-06-2023, 08:32 PM
Definitely was not JESCO. They tend to always get their jobs finished on time on campus. If I remember correctly, from hearing about the bid for the Hump, JESCO had given the university a lot of extra construction work when doing the baseball stadium and other projects to give a good vibe for getting the Hump.
MSU took all those little extras, and when the Hump bid those favors must not have gotten factored in. History of finishing on time must not have been a big factor on the scorecard, but I don't know for fact. I am foggy on those details but remember someone telling me the high points of it.

Who was the company that got the Hump? edit: I think it is Thrash

Santiago
10-06-2023, 08:43 PM
Thrash?

I think it is Thrash

Tough Dawg
10-06-2023, 09:11 PM
Thrash Commercial out of Flowood? Seems like a big project for them. I didn?t see any fence signage around the construction so was curious.

Westdawg
10-06-2023, 10:44 PM
Thrash Commercial out of Flowood? Seems like a big project for them. I didn?t see any fence signage around the construction so was curious.
With the way it?s looks around there, you couldn?t blame them for not having their name out on it

Mjoelner34
10-07-2023, 06:53 AM

My first guess would have been whoever put the top floor on the library. That took well over 2 years for them to complete.

msstate7
10-07-2023, 06:55 AM
It's trash. Here's link to their projects, and the hump is listed as current...

https://thrashco.com/projects/

Lord McBuckethead
10-07-2023, 07:41 AM
It is Thrash. Liquidated damages were huge each event, and I believe they have a daily one as well.
I feel like the event loss potential had it really high, like 500k per event. It was enough for me to go… hmm that is pretty strong.

Lord McBuckethead
10-07-2023, 07:42 AM
From what I heard, other contractors were scared of the Liquidated Damage amounts.

msstate7
10-07-2023, 07:51 AM
I wonder if they actually got charged the liquidated damages. Right after the bid date (last January), there were some insane lead times on building materials... well, at least there were in the trade my company does, and that trade was a pretty big part of this project.

WinningIsRelentless
10-07-2023, 08:01 AM
I wonder if they actually got charged the liquidated damages. Right after the bid date (last January), there were some insane lead times on building materials... well, at least there were in the trade my company does, and that trade was a pretty big part of this project.

This was a two year project from the start. It?s not suppose to be done till this year.

msstate7
10-07-2023, 08:05 AM
This was a two year project from the start. It?s not suppose to be done till this year.

Gotcha. Still, I wonder if they were given an extension bc of lead time on materials last year

Tough Dawg
10-07-2023, 10:05 AM
State bid laws are stupid to let a low bidder do a project of this size and pressing schedule.

Santiago
10-07-2023, 10:19 AM
From what I heard, other contractors were scared of the Liquidated Damage amounts.

Actually I heard Jesco initially really wanted this, and the university chose someone else.

Santiago
10-07-2023, 10:20 AM
State bid laws are stupid to let a low bidder do a project of this size and pressing schedule.

I assume they used a scorecard , which usually lets you pick more from the final 2 or 3.
The university I think initially was trying to use someone else. Alot of this falls on the decision makers at our university.

R2Dawg
10-07-2023, 11:37 AM

Well rule is don't bid someone you are not willing to give the order to because they might get it. Only bid those that can do the work.

BrunswickDawg
10-07-2023, 11:48 AM
Well rule is don't bid someone you are not willing to give the order to because they might get it. Only bid those that can do the work.

Something I liked when I was working for the State of GA - we could do a contractor pre-qual before we ever went to bid. In some cases, we could even select contractors based on qualifications only and then negotiate a contract. Saved us on some big complex projects.

Santiago
10-07-2023, 12:47 PM
Something I liked when I was working for the State of GA - we could do a contractor pre-qual before we ever went to bid. In some cases, we could even select contractors based on qualifications only and then negotiate a contract. Saved us on some big complex projects.

Totally agree. MSU could have navigated this to anyone they wanted. They intentionally steered it from JESCO even though I heard they committed to schedule and price. There were others that could have done likewise.
This is MSU being MSU in decision making.