PDA

View Full Version : These folks saying liberty

BeastMan
12-03-2013, 04:33 PM
"The AutoZone Liberty and BBVA Compass Bowls share the eighth and ninth selections and will make their selections, not in any specific order, but in consultation with the SEC Office." http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/tabid/473/article/130607/SEC-Bowl-Tie-Ins.aspx

@MSUSportsGregg
"The Liberty Bowl and Compass Bowl share the 8th and 9th selections this year."
"Meaning the bowls will work together to decide matchups."

@PJ247Sports
"Based on what we are hearing, odds are very favorable it will be MSU in the Liberty Bowl."

SI projections (MSU in Liberty) http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131202/college-football-bowl-projections/

B/R projections (MSU in Liberty) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...cs-rankings-and-bowl-game-projections/page/23

Mike Bonner of CL on MSU Liberty Bowl http://blogs.clarionledger.com/msu/...rty-bowl-shows-interest-in-mississippi-state/

Kyle Veazy on MSU Liberty (need a scrip though) http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/dec/02/kyle-veazeys-late-hits-potential-liberty-teams-mor/

Matt Stevens on Liberty "highly interested" in MSU http://www.cdispatch.com/msusports/article.asp?aid=14211

@GregGatson (Co-Host of the Middays Show on Sports 56 & FM 87.7. Host of Sports Files on WKNO TV.)
"Nothing etched in stone yet but it figures to be Mississippi State in Autozone Liberty Bowl."

Maroon and White Nation weighs in http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2013/12/03/msu-will-likely-liberty-bowl-vs-marshall/

Tennessean says Liberty is most likely for MSU http://www.tennessean.com/article/D0/20131128/SPORTS030102/311280021/

hailmari
12-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Who's the likely opposing team?

CJDAWG85
12-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Marshall

CJDAWG85
12-03-2013, 04:40 PM
It really sucks for Vandy winning 8 games and beating UF, UGA, and Tenn all in the same year, then getting the Compass Bowl. But you also have to look at Vandy getting out of the state of Tennessee for a bowl. Plus, they don't travel well, much less get people to come to their home games.

BogeyGolfer
12-03-2013, 04:44 PM
If you recall the Gator Bowl 2010 wanted a 6-6 TN over us but Slive said no... This may happen again and probably would be the right decision.

smootness
12-03-2013, 04:49 PM
If you recall the Gator Bowl 2010 wanted a 6-6 TN over us but Slive said no... This may happen again and probably would be the right decision.

That's why the rule was implemented, I believe, that says a bowl in a higher selecting slot can't take a select a team if there is another SEC team with at least 2 more wins still available.

However, I think this scenario is a little different. I don't think the Music City wants Vandy, and it makes sense from a conference perspective to get Ole Miss in that game (plus I'm not sure if Slive can do anything about that). That would leave us and Vandy with the Liberty and BBVA still available.

Obviously the reason they worded the rule like it is was to be able to move some things around if they need to, even if one team has 2 more wins than another. So from the SEC's perspective, they don't seem to think either bowl is a bigger deal than the other, so what incentive would there be from the SEC office to make sure Vandy got into the Liberty? The Gator was clearly a better bowl in 2010 than the one below it, which I believe was the Music City.

That seems like the big difference to me. If the Liberty wants State and the BBVA will take either, and unless Vandy is adamant they want the Liberty, who cares?

CJDAWG85
12-03-2013, 04:54 PM
What if Mizzou beats Auburn? Mizzou gets Sugar... then Bama and Auburn go where? Does that bump us into Indy?

BogeyGolfer
12-03-2013, 04:56 PM
That's why the rule was implemented, I believe, that says a bowl in a higher selecting slot can't take a select a team if there is another SEC team with at least 2 more wins still available.

However, I think this scenario is a little different. I don't think the Music City wants Vandy, and it makes sense from a conference perspective to get Ole Miss in that game (plus I'm not sure if Slive can do anything about that). That would leave us and Vandy with the Liberty and BBVA still available.

Obviously the reason they worded the rule like it is was to be able to move some things around if they need to, even if one team has 2 more wins than another. So from the SEC's perspective, they don't seem to think either bowl is a bigger deal than the other, so what incentive would there be from the SEC office to make sure Vandy got into the Liberty? The Gator was clearly a better bowl in 2010 than the one below it, which I believe was the Music City.

That seems like the big difference to me. If the Liberty wants State and the BBVA will take either, and unless Vandy is adamant they want the Liberty, who cares?

B-Ham does pay 400k less than the Liberty and it is a lower bowl. I think if Vandy is ok with it we may play in the Liberty. But I still think BHam is the most likely and the most appropriate.

maroonmania
12-03-2013, 05:06 PM

True, but the primary difference is that our fanbase has a good track record of supporting bowls, Vandy does not. I personally don't know if the SEC would have stepped in to force the Gator to take Vandy over TN back then or not. I am actually fine with either bowl however, to be honest, my biggest issue with the Compass bowl is playing on that horrible artificial surface at Legion Field. Seems like every time we do that we end up with significant injuries. Just last week in Little Rock on that crap we lost Tyler to a major shoulder injury and Fred Ross broke his collarbone. I don't believe either of those injuries would have been anywhere near as serious had we been playing on grass.

Thrill1
12-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Forget Vandy, forget their record, forget anyone's record. It doesn't matter. It's Liberty. Trust me. Save your breath and start making plans for New Years Eve on Beale.

Jack Lambert
12-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Slive or what ever his name is bailed us out of having to go to a lower bowl back in 2010. That was going to happen but we ended up in the Gator Bowl. I just think he is going to take care of Vandy. I will tell you right now a 8 win team should have a better and higher paying bowl then a 6 win team. We as state fans better hope it works out that way because next time it might be up getting the shaft. I think we will end up in B-Town Compass Bowl.

Todd4State
12-03-2013, 05:22 PM
I think part of the issue is some of our fans think the Liberty and Music City are a lot better than the Compass in terms of bowl tiers go. Probably because Memphis is a more fun place to go, is an older bowl, and is played in a nicer stadium. The reality is that they are the same.

The "two win" rule is in place so that a 8 or 9 win MSU team doesn't get snubbed by the Gator over a 6-6 Tennessee team. So, to me- if Vanderbilt has a beef it's probably with whatever bowl takes Georgia whom they beat this year.

Really to me, Vandy belongs in the Music City and State should go to the Liberty and Ole Miss to the Compass. That's going strictly by the standings and results. But as we know, Vandy doesn't want to go to the Music City, and apparently they don't want to go to the Liberty either- so it's either Birmingham or stay at home. The Compass had Ole Miss last year and thanks to Les Miles being stupid and some really good luck against Texas and Vanderbilt they have one more win than MSU. So, they're left with the Music City. And the Liberty wants us really bad and I think a lot of MSU fans want to go there this year, so it seems like a good fit.

Todd4State
12-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Slive or what ever his name is bailed us out of having to go to a lower bowl back in 2010. That was going to happen but we ended up in the Gator Bowl. I just think he is going to take care of Vandy. I will tell you right now a 8 win team should have a better and higher paying bowl then a 6 win team. We as state fans better hope it works out that way because next time it might be up getting the shaft. I think we will end up in B-Town Compass Bowl.

If the rumors are true, they want to go to Birmingham, so they aren't getting the shaft. They're giving themselves the shaft.

And honestly, all things being equal if Slive stepped in, he should send Vandy to the Music City and sent Ole Miss to Birmingham rather than us. We beat Ole Miss and technically finished higher in the standings. They have one more win- in large part because they played a Texas team in disarray.

fishwater99
12-03-2013, 05:35 PM
If the rumors are true, they want to go to Birmingham, so they aren't getting the shaft. They're giving themselves the shaft.

And honestly, all things being equal if Slive stepped in, he should send Vandy to the Music City and sent Ole Miss to Birmingham rather than us. We beat Ole Miss and technically finished higher in the standings. They have one more win- in large part because they played a Texas team in disarray.

That would be hilarious, but it's not going to happen...

Original48
12-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Vanderbilt's team deserves Gator. Their fans deserve that Detroit bowl.

State82
12-03-2013, 07:29 PM
There is a rumor out that the LB Chairman indicated today that a deal had been worked to land us in Memphis. I have no idea if that has any validity, but how could that be if it was stated several days ago around here that the chances of our ending up in Memphis were "0%" and the chances of our ending up in B'ham were "100%". Which begs the question, how is there 0% or 100% chance of most anything happening or not happening unless it involves death? I've always had a real problem with such statements. Granted, there are a very few things that could have those mathematical percentages attached to their chances of taking place. Like, if you did not purchase a lottery ticket, there is a "0%" chance that you will win the lottery. You get the idea. But otherwise, don't put those percentages on anything related to the world of sports. Might happen, might not. No one ever knows for sure.

Political Hack
12-03-2013, 07:36 PM
There is a rumor out that the LB Chairman indicated today that a deal had been worked to land us in Memphis. I have no idea if that has any validity, but how could that be if it was stated several days ago around here that the chances of our ending up in Memphis were "0%" and the chances of our ending up in B'ham were "100%". Which begs the question, how is there 0% or 100% chance of most anything happening or not happening unless it involves death? I've always had a real problem with such statements. Granted, there are a very few things that could have those mathematical percentages attached to their chances of taking place. Like, if you did not purchase a lottery ticket, there is a "0%" chance that you will win the lottery. You get the idea. But otherwise, don't put those percentages on anything related to the world of sports. Might happen, might not. No one ever knows for sure.

not sure what you mean by "around here" but I said it was the liberty com the get-go. Didn't really understand how it would work out, but that's what was being said from a few folks who should know.

State82
12-03-2013, 07:42 PM
not sure what you mean by "around here" but I said it was the liberty com the get-go. Didn't really understand how it would work out, but that's what was being said from a few folks who should know.

Oh, I didn't go back and look it up, Hack. I just remember reading something over the weekend on here where several folks were kicking around the chances of each of the 3 bowls we could land. There was one that listed Liberty at 0% and Compass at 100%. I was just yankin' some chains. It's ALL good wherever we end up! It's a bowl and everyone needs to be there, wherever it is, if at all possible. I will be!

Coach34
12-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Vandy wants the hell out of Tennessee for a bowl game- so they are happy with BHam. And what it unusual, something like that actually benefits us for a change.

Win-Win for us all. Even the BearSharks

Political Hack
12-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Oh, I didn't go back and look it up, Hack. I just remember reading something over the weekend on here where several folks were kicking around the chances of each of the 3 bowls we could land. There was one that listed Liberty at 0% and Compass at 100%. I was just yankin' some chains. It's ALL good wherever we end up! It's a bowl and everyone needs to be there, wherever it is, if at all possible. I will be!

gotcha. It's amazing to me how quickly word got out that Liberty is where we're headed. Good to finally be wanted by bowl games. It's was a long time where bowls would reluctantly take us and now they're fighting for us.

Coach34
12-03-2013, 08:01 PM
I was the one that said 100% Compass- surprised Vandy allowed the drop but it does make sense they want the hell out of Tennessee

Political Hack
12-03-2013, 08:06 PM
I was the one that said 100% Compass- surprised Vandy allowed the drop but it does make sense they want the hell out of Tennessee

I was shocked too. common sense would suggest we were headed to Compass but it is nice to have bowls fighting for us now.

State82
12-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Vandy wants the hell out of Tennessee for a bowl game- so they are happy with BHam. And what it unusual, something like that actually benefits us for a change.

Win-Win for us all. Even the BearSharks

Yep. As bad as I wanted the Liberty, I could not gripe about anything Vandy wanted, everything considered. So this could work out like a charm.

blacklistedbully
12-03-2013, 08:59 PM
gotcha. It's amazing to me how quickly word got out that Liberty is where we're headed. Good to finally be wanted by bowl games. It's was a long time where bowls would reluctantly take us and now they're fighting for us.

If we want that to continue, we need to show up in numbers to this Liberty Bowl.

GreaterCowbell
12-03-2013, 09:02 PM
100% book your tickets for Memphis. Per Liberty bowl selection committee member.

Todd4State
12-03-2013, 09:09 PM

The reputation that we got was because of the 1981 Hall of Fame Bowl, which ironically was in Birmingham. The reason the attendance was bad was because there were tornadoes and really bad weather- like legitimately life threatening type weather. Then we didn't go to a bowl for ten years and the reputation stuck. Probably in part because rival fans who don't really care about us spread that thought.

MagicDawg
12-03-2013, 09:11 PM
MagicDawg will be there, +5, whether it's Memphis or Birmingham or if God knows what happens and we fall to Shreveport.

I will not miss the chance to have attended State's first streak of 4 bowls in a row (and God willing, 5+).

BulldogBear
12-03-2013, 09:16 PM
...We as state fans better hope it works out that way because next time it might be up getting the shaft... I REALLY want to go to the Liberty for reasons I've stated but if so I sincerely hope Vandy is on board for BBVA Compass for this very reason you mention. It's the only concern about it I have. Don't wanna reset the precedent on getting dumped down the bowl chain.

civildawg
12-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Booked my hotel downtown today.

mjh94
12-03-2013, 11:08 PM
I had a past LB board member tell me tonight we will be at the liberty bowl