PDA

View Full Version : Just a Hypothetical Scenario

StarkVegasSteve
10-05-2023, 05:45 PM
So lets just go with a hypothetical and say this season goes off the rails, I for one think 7 wins is still very much possible with our remaining schedule, but for the sake of conversation lets just say we do not figure this out and 4-8 or 5-7 is the record at the end of the season. It is obvious that Andy Staples was not just posting the Arnett buyout for nothing he was fed it by someone. So lets say we move on from CZA after one season. Who should we go after?

A) An up and coming OC like Kittley at TTU

B) A G5 HC like Charles Huff or Sean Lewis, yes I know Lewis is OC now but he was HC at Kent

C) Retread P5 HC like Malzahn, Herman, Mullen, etc

D) Lay our sack on the table and shoot for a sitting P5 HC. Someone like Dykes, Gundy, Leipold, Locksley, etc.

Homedawg
10-05-2023, 05:46 PM
A... maybe B. No chance on D.

StarkVegasSteve
10-05-2023, 05:49 PM
A... maybe B. No chance on D.

I lean that way too. Although, if we were to ever swing for the fences this is the time to do it. The buyout that Bracky and Keenum put in place make it possible.

Leroy Jenkins
10-05-2023, 05:51 PM
B, D, A, C

Homedawg
10-05-2023, 05:59 PM
I lean that way too. Although, if we were to ever swing for the fences this is the time to do it. The buyout that Bracky and Keenum put in place make it possible.

You can swing..... it will be a miss...

SteelCurtain74
10-05-2023, 06:03 PM
So lets just go with a hypothetical and say this season goes off the rails, I for one think 7 wins is still very much possible with our remaining schedule, but for the sake of conversation lets just say we do not figure this out and 4-8 or 5-7 is the record at the end of the season. It is obvious that Andy Staples was not just posting the Arnett buyout for nothing he was fed it by someone. So lets say we move on from CZA after one season. Who should we go after?

B) A G5 HC like Charles Huff or Sean Lewis, yes I know Lewis is OC now but he was HC at Kent

D) Lay our sack on the table and shoot for a sitting P5 HC. Someone like Dykes, Gundy, Leipold, Locksley, etc.

I would want A but not Kittley. We would be trading one Zach for another and younger as well. Also, at least from this article, his job as OC may be in jeopardy.

https://wreckemred.com/2023/09/24/texas-tech-football-itime-have-serious-discussion-zach-kittley/

I would agree however that I would prefer a coach with offense as his background.

A would be first option for me then D followed by C and B.

Todd4State
10-05-2023, 06:58 PM
I don't mind swinging for the fence even if we miss and then end up with a proven G5 coach.

I wonder if Selmon will go after Shane Beamer at South Carolina? They're pretty close and I'm sure his wife would like to be close to home.

Maverick91
10-05-2023, 07:13 PM
I don't mind swinging for the fence even if we miss and then end up with a proven G5 coach.

I wonder if Selmon will go after Shane Beamer at South Carolina? They're pretty close and I'm sure his wife would like to be close to home.

I’m fine with pulling a good P5 find someone though that runs the ORGANIZATION not just the team well. But I do not want Beamer

Dawgface
10-05-2023, 07:15 PM
I can?t imagine Beamer coming here unless the alum there are not supporting him.

KB21
10-05-2023, 07:37 PM
Probably A unless there is an up and coming rising star head coach who is offensive minded and up to date with analytics.

viverlibre
10-05-2023, 07:51 PM
Can't take a chance with this hire. Have to get an experienced HC who is a good recruiter and understands the portal.

Does Selmon have a connection with Bob Stoops? That'd be my first call. Urban would be my second. Both will probably turn us down. Next on the list would be Gus and Petrino. HC experience at a high level would certainly be a plus.

Goldendawg
10-05-2023, 08:05 PM

Beamer seems to have gotten the big head and arrogant at USCe after their successful season last year and this year could end up being meh. Break out the $ bags and try for a nationaslly known, experienced, older coach. OM did it with Lane. Why can't we? JMO

Quaoarsking
10-05-2023, 08:12 PM
Mullen and Malzahn are the floor, but if we can get someone we like better than those, cool. If we can't, we know those guys can win in the SEC at much more consistent level than Croom/Moorhead/Arnett, so it would be an improvement.

Santiago
10-05-2023, 08:15 PM
This is a good thread. Selmon is definitely gonna have to go Greg Byrne and make his own name in this hire.
I do hope Arnett figures it out this year, as much as I griped this week. It is good for MSU, and the guy is swimming.

That Colorado OC is really good. We do need a proven commodity for sure though.

Dawgology
10-05-2023, 09:18 PM
You can swing..... it will be a miss...

No. It won’t. It may not be our first choice but I guaran-damn-tee you some P5 coaches would be interested in the HC position at MSU.

Dawgology
10-05-2023, 09:22 PM
We were ready to give Mullen 7 million to stay six years ago. If he had stayed and had never received another raise he would still be the 20th highest paid coach in college football. I guarantee you we could pull a good sitting P5 coach if we really wanted him.

Maverick91
10-05-2023, 09:43 PM
Can't take a chance with this hire. Have to get an experienced HC who is a good recruiter and understands the portal.

Does Selmon have a connection with Bob Stoops? That'd be my first call. Urban would be my second. Both will probably turn us down. Next on the list would be Gus and Petrino. HC experience at a high level would certainly be a plus.

My issue with getting coaches that haven’t coached during the transition or in the portal/NIL/kids run the school yard college football right now is are those coaching going to be playing catch up or are they going to be able to hit the ground running.

Maverick91
10-05-2023, 09:47 PM
This is a good thread. Selmon is definitely gonna have to go Greg Byrne and make his own name in this hire.
I do hope Arnett figures it out this year, as much as I griped this week. It is good for MSU, and the guy is swimming.

That Colorado OC is really good. We do need a proven commodity for sure though.

That a really good thought. He was a head coach before going to Colorado, also Deion being there could help us as Deion can give him the lay of the land of Mississippi. I also love the swagger side of Deion and if some do that rubs off on the coaches I’m not mad at it. And when I say swagger I mean “I am walking into the room and I’m going to own it.” Our team could use some of that.

BlackSailsDawg
10-05-2023, 09:49 PM
Well none of this matters per Rosey. Per his several sources, Arnett will be retained and He has hired Jimmy Sexton.

StarkVegasSteve
10-05-2023, 09:52 PM
Well none of this matters per Rosey. Per his several sources, Arnett will be retained and He has hired Jimmy Sexton.

He also reported Moorhead was safe the morning of the Music City. I mean Rosey is always right.

BlackSailsDawg
10-05-2023, 10:05 PM
He also reported Moorhead was safe the morning of the Music City. I mean Rosey is always right.

Always

TrapGame
10-05-2023, 10:29 PM

As of now, yes, he is being retained. No decisions are being made in the middle of season. There's still a lot of football to play.

phatdog
10-06-2023, 06:35 AM
What we can replace Arnett with depends on our NIL program. I'm think we are in for long term sucksville.

Leroy Jenkins
10-06-2023, 06:47 AM
Arnett will be retained

He can stay, just move back to his old office.

RiverCityDawg
10-06-2023, 06:54 AM
Mullen and Malzahn are the floor, but if we can get someone we like better than those, cool. If we can't, we know those guys can win in the SEC at much more consistent level than Croom/Moorhead/Arnett, so it would be an improvement.

People keep mentioning Malzahn. He's not leaving a P5 head coaching job in Florida to come to the 13th best team in the brutal SEC located in Starkville. He just signed an extension with UCF. They will be a better program than us in... oh wait, they are already a better program than us.

CoachT14
10-06-2023, 06:56 AM

D should be the first one (I highly doubt they come, but you do it anyway)

Tier 1:
Urban Meyer (won't even answer ha)
Sonny Dykes
Chris Klieman
Prime
Kyle Whittingham

Again, those guys aren't coming but you call and at least gauge interest just in case.

I struggle to find a spot for Mike Elko and Lance Liepold, they're kind of in between Tier 1 and 2 for me and could easily be in both.

Next you move on to lower less proven P5 coaches/G5 coaches:

Tier 2:
Jake Dickert - Modern AR guy, defensive head coach that is beginning to prove something following Leach at WSU. Will most likely bring Ben Arbuckle with him. 28 year old wiz kid running that offense. (2)

Jonathan Smith - consistently has won at OSU which has become a hard place to win at at times.

Charles Huff - familiarity, seems like he's becoming a top notch HC himself.

Jamey Chadwell - My favorite choice, he's won everywhere he's been, it's time for his shot at this level. (1)

Sean Lewis - Exciting, been a HC recently, stop on the with Prime

GJ Kinne - young and exciting, probably the biggest risk, but the reward could be worth it. (3)

Curt Cignetti - too old imo, but he wins.

Willie Fritz - too old imo, but just wins.

Tier 3, retreads and OCs:

Gus Bus - anyone who thinks we wouldn't be better for calling him is just ignorant. He's not my first call, but we are currently doing far worse.
Tom Herman - could be Kiffin 2.0 for us, could be disaster. I need to see more of what he will do at FAU this year.
Jeff Lebby - my favorite choice if we go the OC route. Been around some of the greatest offense minds in football. He's almost 40. He's ready.
Ryan Grubb - has the Husky offense rolling.
Bobby Petrino - meh, but better than this staff.
Phil Longo - has orchestrated some really good offenses for the last 10 years.

BlackSailsDawg
10-06-2023, 07:12 AM
My issue with getting coaches that haven’t coached during the transition or in the portal/NIL/kids run the school yard college football right now is are those coaching going to be playing catch up or are they going to be able to hit the ground running.

Anybody you get will go over who they want to keep that is committed and resell them on the idea. Second, unless they have not been doing their jobs at their last job, they have recruits they have built relationships with.

Matt3467
10-06-2023, 08:07 AM
People keep mentioning Malzahn. He's not leaving a P5 head coaching job in Florida to come to the 13th best team in the brutal SEC located in Starkville. He just signed an extension with UCF. They will be a better program than us in... oh wait, they are already a better program than us.

While I'd be very surprised if he'd entertain an offer from us if ARK came calling I'd almost guarantee you he'd be leaving.

StarkVegasSteve
10-06-2023, 08:31 AM
While I'd be very surprised if he'd entertain an offer from us if ARK came calling I'd almost guarantee you he'd be leaving.

He has coveted that Arky job for almost two decades. If they even make him a remotely competitive offer he will be gone.

PGHBulldogBG
10-06-2023, 09:10 AM
If Gus wasn?t that successful at Auburn I?m not sure why a team like State or Arkansas would want him. If he can?t win with Auburn recruits I doubt he wins with State or Arkansas recruits which are traditionally ranked lower. The best formula to win at State is a coach that wins at either lower P5 schools like Leach or one that wins at the G5 level with lower talent than the other teams in their conference. This is why going after Clawson or Chadwell is what we should do. Napier was a bad choice for UF because he had a talent advantage at ULL. Chadwell would have been the better choice for UF because he won at the same rate in the last few years as Napier with a big talent deficit. The only other route is to hire an OC who has won multiple championships with a good offense like we did with Mullen. Those are few and far between though.

TrapGame
10-06-2023, 09:33 AM
Jonathan Smith of Oregon State may be in play for some team this season. He has turned the Beavers around in the last four years. He has made it known he does not like that Oregon State is in limbo concerning the PAC12 fiasco.

Chadwell has some baggage, but my goodness, if Auburn can hire Freeze then we should be in play for him.

Petrino is a definite possibility. Some won't like it but Petrino would take the our job in a heartbeat if it was the best job on the table.

Santiago
10-06-2023, 10:08 AM
What we can replace Arnett with depends on our NIL program. I'm think we are in for long term sucksville.

This is a good point. We all talk about throwing money to hire a coach but these days a school has to show a good coach their commitment to NIL.
Takes more now than just saying "we are in the SEC and here is some money". With the playoffs, these coaches have way better options to get there than coaching here.

KB21
10-06-2023, 10:09 AM
It blows me away to see that some would rather hire someone like Bobby Petrino, who has had a losing season in 3 of his last 4 years as a head coach and is old over getting a great up and coming young offensive mind that is super intelligent and savvy with analytics.

TrapGame
10-06-2023, 10:12 AM
It blows me away to see that some would rather hire someone like Bobby Petrino, who has had a losing season in 3 of his last 4 years as a head coach and is old over getting a great up and coming young offensive mind that is super intelligent and savvy with analytics.

It's about who will take the job. Petrino has run P5 programs as a head coach. His offense is killing it for Jimbo this year. Is he my first choice? HELL NO! But beggars can't be choosers.

BlackSailsDawg
10-06-2023, 10:17 AM
This is a good point. We all talk about throwing money to hire a coach but these days a school has to show a good coach their commitment to NIL.
Takes more now than just saying "we are in the SEC and here is some money". With the playoffs, these coaches have way better options to get there than coaching here.

I disagree with that a bit. Again, WSU is ranked 6th in offense this year after being 93rd last year. It took that staff a spring, a summer, and they are 4-0 with 2 wins over 2 top 20 teams. That's the polar opposite in what we have been able to do. And here are the 2 things to note:

- That HC makes less than Arnett
- That massive turn around happened with 3 star and below players. Not a single 4 or 5 star on that team.

KB21
10-06-2023, 11:10 AM
It's about who will take the job. Petrino has run P5 programs as a head coach. His offense is killing it for Jimbo this year. Is he my first choice? HELL NO! But beggars can't be choosers.

There is no upside to hiring a retread like Petrino. All it means is that we are going to be doing this again in 3 years. I'd much rather go after Kittley or Riley and have a coach with significant upside and growth potential.

KB21
10-06-2023, 11:18 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1659016408808734721/sCe3KsDh_400x400.jpg
1. Zach Kittley, offensive coordinator, Texas Tech.

https://library.sportingnews.com/styles/crop_style_16_9_mobile_2x/s3/2023-09/GettyImages-1251930815.png?h=920929c4&itok=IJ0XDdlj
2. Garrett Riley, offensive coordinator, Clemson

https://www.si.com/.image/ar_1:1%2Cc_fill%2Ccs_srgb%2Cfl_progressive%2Cq_aut o:good%2Cw_1200/MjAwODA1ODg0MzkyMTIxNzMw/gj-kinne.jpg
3. GJ Kinney, head coach, Texas State

TrapGame
10-06-2023, 11:19 AM
There is no upside to hiring a retread like Petrino. All it means is that we are going to be doing this again in 3 years. I'd much rather go after Kittley or Riley and have a coach with significant upside and growth potential.

There's no guarantee Kittley or Riley would pan out either. Upside? Bruh, Petrino has been the head coach of P5 teams. Right now, that's an upside.

HancockCountyDog
10-06-2023, 11:21 AM
Bottom line on all of this. He beats Arkansas in two weeks, he is not getting fired, barring a 2008 egg bowl performance, which there is zero indication of happening.

If we are 4-3 headed into the last 5 games, we have a good shot at being bowl-eligible.

TrapGame
10-06-2023, 11:32 AM
Bottom line on all of this. He beats Arkansas in two weeks, he is not getting fired, barring a 2008 egg bowl performance, which there is zero indication of happening.

If we are 4-3 headed into the last 5 games, we have a good shot at being bowl-eligible.

It's also Croom level to beat one decent team out of 8 and still keep your job. If he beats Arkansas, that's great but he needs to follow that up with another SEC win to think he can handle this job. He needs to beat AU or UK.

I'm really hoping the wheels start turning and we see vast improvement in the back half of schedule and win 6 or 7 games.

KB21
10-06-2023, 11:33 AM
There's no guarantee Kittley or Riley would pan out either. Upside? Bruh, Petrino has been the head coach of P5 teams. Right now, that's an upside.

Nope. That's a floor with a low ceiling. We need a coach that is young. Preferably in his 30s. We need a coach that is offensive minded. We need a coach that is innovative in what he does. We need a coach that understands and embraces analytics. We will not get that with any retread. Heck, we won't get that with most G5 head coaches that would take the job. The one G5 head coach I would go for is Kinne.

BuckyIsAB****
10-06-2023, 06:45 PM
Malzahn would be a good hire. Ask Auburn if they regret it

StarkVegasSteve
10-08-2023, 04:26 AM
Malzahn would be a good hire. Ask Auburn if they regret it

Gus is interesting. He has won big at Auburn and would definitely embrace the portal. There is also the fact that his offense would be perfect for Mike Wright or Parson. We also know he is not afraid of Saban. He also would bring an offense that is a hell of a lot more exciting than what we currently have.

The negatives are the unknown if he has lost a step in being at UCF. Also, he is a little too chummy with Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy for my liking. We would need to quell that, or at least be a bit more covert with it.

mo7888
10-08-2023, 08:38 AM

Don't fret... he isn't beating Arkansas...

mo7888
10-08-2023, 08:40 AM
Nope. That's a floor with a low ceiling. We need a coach that is young. Preferably in his 30s. We need a coach that is offensive minded. We need a coach that is innovative in what he does. We need a coach that understands and embraces analytics. We will not get that with any retread. Heck, we won't get that with most G5 head coaches that would take the job. The one G5 head coach I would go for is Kinne.

Fortunately, I think Selmon understands that..

EdwardDrayton
10-08-2023, 01:39 PM
So we hire him on the premise of continuity and we'll keep him if he goes 5-7?!!?

memsu06
10-08-2023, 02:16 PM
If the decision is made to replace Arnett, you got out and get a P5 coach like we did with Leach.

This isn't MSU of old. We don't hire coordinators like we used to. You go for the guy who does more with less talent than is peers.

Really Clark?
10-08-2023, 02:23 PM
If the decision is made to replace Arnett, you got out and get a P5 coach like we did with Leach.

This isn't MSU of old. We don't hire coordinators like we used to. You go for the guy who does more with less talent than is peers.

Who is realistic in scenario? That is an extremely extremely small pool of realistic candidates

TrapGame
10-08-2023, 02:27 PM
So we hire him on the premise of continuity and we'll keep him if he goes 5-7?!!?

At this point 5-7 is just as bad as 4-8. We beat one SEC team that is just as bad as us. Whoopee!

If the lever is pulled we have to have a national search with a genuine search committee. Selmon has to do his due diligence.

KB21
10-08-2023, 02:30 PM

Getting Mike Leach was a once in a lifetime move. We were very fortunate that he was interested. Considering that Cohen?s first choice was Joe Judge, there is no telling where that search would have gone if Jared Benko hadn?t reached out to Mike. There was a big push for Todd Grantham.

Really Clark?
10-08-2023, 02:36 PM
Getting Mike Leach was a once in a lifetime move. We were very fortunate that he was interested. Considering that Cohen?s first choice was Joe Judge, there is no telling where that search would have gone if Jared Benko hadn?t reached out to Mike. There was a big push for Todd Grantham.

I do agree with it being a long shot getting a P5, Leach was wanting that crack at the SEC and open to the move. Very few will be.

KB21
10-08-2023, 02:43 PM
Best chance would be trying to convince Jake Dickert at Wazzu or Jonathan Smith at Oregon State to make the jump due to their current situations.

TrapGame
10-08-2023, 02:49 PM
Best chance would be trying to convince Jake Dickert at Wazzu or Jonathan Smith at Oregon State to make the jump due to their current situations.

I'd take Jonathan Smith in a heartbeat. What he's done at Oregon State is pretty impressive.

Quaoarsking
10-08-2023, 03:00 PM

Those two, Malzahn, and maybe Dana Holgerson are 4 examples of a current P5 head coach we could realistically get.

viverlibre
10-08-2023, 03:15 PM
Whatever we do, we need to stick with transitioning to the more common ground-based, mobile QB, spread option type offense. We don't need to go back to an AR concept. We're half way through this transition, it'd be stupid to go back at this point. There's one Mike Leach, there's tons of Dan and Gus's.

KB21
10-08-2023, 03:46 PM
Whatever we do, we need to stick with transitioning to the more common ground-based, mobile QB, spread option type offense. We don't need to go back to an AR concept. We're half way through this transition, it'd be stupid to go back at this point. There's one Mike Leach, there's tons of Dan and Gus's.

Gag! Barf!

Really Clark?
10-08-2023, 03:49 PM
Those two, Malzahn, and maybe Dana Holgerson are 4 examples of a current P5 head coach we could realistically get.

Hard and I mean hard pass on Holgerson.

StarkVegasSteve
10-08-2023, 04:19 PM
Hard and I mean hard pass on Holgerson.

Dana would have been a great hire in 2017.

War Machine Dawg
10-08-2023, 04:38 PM
Don't know why more of you aren't naming Clawson from Wake. If the dude can win there, he can win here. He'd be a big upgrade.

CaptainObvious
10-08-2023, 06:46 PM
Don't know why more of you aren't naming Clawson from Wake. If the dude can win there, he can win here. He'd be a big upgrade.

But would MSU be an upgrade from Wake for Clawson. My 8 ball says highly doubtful at this time.

Todd4State
10-08-2023, 07:20 PM

My biggest reservation there is he has a history of taking a couple of years to rebuild. We need a splash.

Todd4State
10-08-2023, 07:22 PM

Nah. We need something entertaining. Most of our fans are tired of ground based offense. Give the people a modified Air Raid or Veer and Shoot and start blowing up some scoreboards. We would be the first team potentially to run a modified Air Raid in the SEC. Could give us an advantage.

PGHBulldogBG
10-08-2023, 07:37 PM
But would MSU be an upgrade from Wake for Clawson. My 8 ball says highly doubtful at this time.

Yes because Wake may end up without a home like Oregon State and Washington State. Clawson has been my number one choice since we hired Moorhead and nothing has changed. Then he was my number one choice when we hired Leach and Arnett. The fact he is winning 7-9 games a year at Wake Forest while basically have a huge talent deficit is remarkable. His offense is exciting too.

RocketDawg
10-08-2023, 07:45 PM
I'd rather have Mullen back than Malzahn.

Bothrops
10-08-2023, 07:59 PM

This is the way.

Quaoarsking
10-08-2023, 09:32 PM

Sure, add him to the list. If we were willing to give him $5M or so, he'd probably come. There are probably 10-15 current P5 head coaches who would come without us having to break the bank, but I don't know that any of them would make our whole fanbase happy.

Really Clark?
10-08-2023, 09:38 PM
Sure, add him to the list. If we were willing to give him $5M or so, he'd probably come. There are probably 10-15 current P5 head coaches who would come without us having to break the bank, but I don't know that any of them would make our whole fanbase happy.

Clawson is making between $4-$4.5 MIL now according to most reports. They are private so don't publish their coaches salaries.

StarkVegasSteve
10-08-2023, 10:07 PM

Clawson has the personality of a stick. We need a guy with personality. We need to make Starkville cool. I know some do not want to here that because that makes us too much like OM, but you have to have flash to attract talent in todays game.

Quaoarsking
10-08-2023, 10:30 PM
So, Tom Brady then?

Maverick91
10-08-2023, 11:26 PM
Clawson has the personality of a stick. We need a guy with personality. We need to make Starkville cool. I know some do not want to here that because that makes us too much like OM, but you have to have flash to attract talent in todays game.

Completely agreed! But you can find cool without being slimy (lame ��*⬛) I’m thinking honestly Eli drinkwitz, not saying for us to poach him. But his type of demeanor, he is a cool dude fun to listen to and the players are attracted to him. He gets a flashy recruit like every year. Someone like him but hopefully a better coach would be nice.

KB21
10-09-2023, 08:18 AM

Exactly! Look at this group of younger head coaches in the NFL. We have fans that would shit an absolute brick if Mississippi State ever hired anyone that looked like these coaches. College football is in need of a youthful revolution among its head coaches. Got to phase out the mindset a lot of college football coaches have when it comes to offensive football.

Santiago
10-09-2023, 08:20 AM

TX State HC - he has that uniqueness

KB21
10-09-2023, 08:22 AM
TX State HC - he has that uniqueness

Maybe my top guy. Of course, we will have some of the poor ole state folks who think he's too young and too inexperienced, and that his offense is just too exotic.

Really Clark?
10-09-2023, 08:31 AM
Maybe my top guy. Of course, we will have some of the poor ole state folks who think he's too young and too inexperienced, and that his offense is just too exotic.

I like him a whole lot. Do think lack of experience is an issue and the fact he has never stayed at a place for more than a year. I want to see him build a program for a few years at least.

CaptainObvious
10-09-2023, 08:36 AM
I like him a whole lot. Do think lack of experience is an issue and the fact he has never stayed at a place for more than a year. I want to see him build a program for a few years at least.

From the looks of things we may not have a year for any young Coach develop and improve:

For reference see: Arnett, Zach

RiverCityDawg
10-09-2023, 08:36 AM

By the time he or someone like him builds a program he would be out of our league. You think Mullen would have come to State after he had the 2014 year somewhere else? Elko at Duke is almost certainly out of our league after he's proven he can win at Duke.

We have to see the potential and catch a guy on the way up, otherwise he ain't coming here. Kinne has done it at multiple stops, offensive guy, young energetic, uses the portal and is a bit unconventional. All things we have to have with the next guy.

KB21
10-09-2023, 08:40 AM
By the time he or someone like him builds a program he would be out of our league. You think Mullen would have come to State after he had the 2014 year somewhere else? Elko at Duke is almost certainly out of our league after he's proven he can win at Duke.

We have to see the potential and catch a guy on the way up, otherwise he ain't coming here. Kinne has done it at multiple stops, offensive guy, young energetic, uses the portal and is a bit unconventional. All things we have to have with the next guy.

That's the key word. Unconventional. When you eschew conventional thinking, it opens up massive possibilities. That's what Mike Leach did. He went against convention when he created the greatest system that ever graced a college football field, and he changed the way the game is played.

Really Clark?
10-09-2023, 08:41 AM

Yeah that's ignorance. But so be it. He hasn't been at a place for more than a year. Name the coaches that jumped to the SEC after only 1 year in G5. Then name the ones who succeeded.

And I love him, I think I was the first or one of the first persons to name him on here weeks ago. Doesn't mean that I don't have a very valid opinion about him jumping a lot and it's hasn't lead to success at this level.

KB21
10-09-2023, 09:01 AM
We have a fanbase that would shit a brick if our head coach looked like this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F78hjAwXYAMtbij?format=jpg&name=large

BlackSailsDawg
10-09-2023, 09:04 AM

To me, that shows he can take what's on the Roster and make it work.

Really Clark?
10-09-2023, 09:07 AM
To me, that shows he can take what's on the Roster and make it work.

Sure, but there is nothing to show he can run a program and keep it at that level and / or grow it. Nothing showing he can recruit a team for multiple years worth of talent. More to being an SEC HC than calling offensive plays.

Really Clark?
10-09-2023, 09:09 AM

Naw. He wins nobody cares. If Mullen hadn't lost to USA, the shorts would have never been brought up.

BlackSailsDawg
10-09-2023, 09:16 AM
Sure, but there is nothing to show he can run a program and keep it at that level and / or grow it. Nothing showing he can recruit a team for multiple years worth of talent. More to being an SEC HC than calling offensive plays.

That's equally as true.

Joebob
10-09-2023, 10:55 AM
No retreads. I'm not interested in a ceiling of mediocre and a floor of mediocre. There are plenty of good, quality candidates that would love a shot at coaching an SEC team. The problem is the NIL, and some of them won't want to live in Starkville. But we've shown that we'll pay for a quality head coach, so that will generate some interest. We just need to do our homework, find the quality people that are interested, and then negotiate from a position of strength. It can be done, we just have to play our cards right.

KB21
10-09-2023, 11:01 AM
No retreads. I'm not interested in a ceiling of mediocre and a floor of mediocre. There are plenty of good, quality candidates that would love a shot at coaching an SEC team. The problem is the NIL, and some of them won't want to live in Starkville. But we've shown that we'll pay for a quality head coach, so that will generate some interest. We just need to do our homework, find the quality people that are interested, and then negotiate from a position of strength. It can be done, we just have to play our cards right.

Going to have to take a chance on someone who is an up and coming coach who may not have head coaching experience.

StarkVegasSteve
10-09-2023, 11:49 AM

I hardly ever agree with KB on anything but he is spot on with this. Joggers and $500 shoes and our fans would scream and whine that he does not look professional. He needs to be wearing a sport coat and boots. That is all I heard Week 1 how Arnett looked so good in his sport coat and boots. He looked like a coach. Hell, it does not matter!!! McDaniel puts up a metric 17ton of yards and points. He also wears Yeezys, Jordans, Joggers, and Air Force 1s. There is ZERO correlation in how a coach dresses and how he coaches.

KB21
10-09-2023, 11:53 AM
McDaniel would be too nerdy for some MSU fans.

BuckyIsAB****
10-09-2023, 03:54 PM
We would be lucky to get Malzahn. He is a good coach. Hope he brings a whole new staff with him

KB21
10-09-2023, 04:07 PM
We would be lucky to get Malzahn. He is a good coach. Hope he brings a whole new staff with him

I don't get it, because I know you aren't one of the ones who believes we need run the ball all the time or even establish the run. Gus Malzahn has no clue about passing offense. None. He can't develop QBs that aren't pure runners at all. I don't want a scheme where everything is based around the running game and the QB's ability to run.

BuckyIsAB****
10-09-2023, 05:53 PM
I don't get it, because I know you aren't one of the ones who believes we need run the ball all the time or even establish the run. Gus Malzahn has no clue about passing offense. None. He can't develop QBs that aren't pure runners at all. I don't want a scheme where everything is based around the running game and the QB's ability to run.

I want to win and he does that.

I think you have to be able to do both when youve gotta have it. Thats what balance is to me

KB21
10-09-2023, 06:12 PM
I want to win and he does that.

I think you have to be able to do both when youve gotta have it. Thats what balance is to me

I?d beg Dan to come back before I went to Malzahn.

Santiago
10-09-2023, 06:32 PM
I hardly ever agree with KB on anything but he is spot on with this. Joggers and $500 shoes and our fans would scream and whine that he does not look professional. He needs to be wearing a sport coat and boots. That is all I heard Week 1 how Arnett looked so good in his sport coat and boots. He looked like a coach. Hell, it does not matter!!! McDaniel puts up a metric 17ton of yards and points. He also wears Yeezys, Jordans, Joggers, and Air Force 1s. There is ZERO correlation in how a coach dresses and how he coaches.

If McDaniel had some chicken coops, he might pull this off at MSU.

Todd4State
10-09-2023, 07:40 PM

Well he's probably waiting on Arkansas to open up so I doubt he comes here anyway.

StarkVegasSteve
10-09-2023, 07:46 PM
Well he's probably waiting on Arkansas to open up so I doubt he comes here anyway.

Arkansas will make a run at Deion and a few other big names and then they will circle back to Malzahn.

TrapGame
10-09-2023, 08:09 PM
Arkansas will make a run at Deion and a few other big names and then they will circle back to Malzahn.

If Arkansas makes a move I can see them rolling the dice on Lebby.

Maverick91
10-09-2023, 08:20 PM
If Arkansas makes a move I can see them rolling the dice on Lebby.

I’d like to role the dice on Deion. I wanted to see what he did at a bigger program and I love what he says and what he does and what he is teaching those kids. I also think he is the only coach that truly understands how to coach NIL college football he is testing those boys like they were all treated in the NFL and these other coaches haven’t grasped that yet.

StarkVegasSteve
10-09-2023, 08:21 PM
I’d like to role the dice on Deion. I wanted to see what he did at a bigger program and I love what he says and what he does and what he is teaching those kids. I also think he is the only coach that truly understands how to coach NIL college football he is testing those boys like they were all treated in the NFL and these other coaches haven’t grasped that yet.

Unless we are ready to pay 8 mil plus we will not sniff Deion.

BuckyIsAB****
10-09-2023, 08:32 PM

I?d rather have Mullen than Malzahn agree

BuckyIsAB****
10-09-2023, 08:35 PM
Unless we are ready to pay 8 mil plus we will not sniff Deion.

Not happening now. Waste of time. I would call Gundy Malzahn and Mullen before Deion. Just dont see Colorado letting anyone out bid them for him

RezDog7
10-09-2023, 10:05 PM
Not happening now. Waste of time. I would call Gundy Malzahn and Mullen before Deion. Just dont see Colorado letting anyone out bid them for him

I'd rather blow Davis wade up than hire Mullen, malzahn or Gundy. WTH are y'all even thinking.

Todd4State
10-10-2023, 12:27 AM

No way they get Deion because of Deion's contract. He's not going to pay Colorado 15 million to go to Arkansas.

StarkVegasSteve
10-10-2023, 07:46 AM
No way they get Deion because of Deion's contract. He's not going to pay Colorado 15 million to go to Arkansas.

The Hunt family, the Walton family, or Tyson family would pay that in 5 minutes.

War Machine Dawg
10-12-2023, 04:52 PM
Naw. He wins nobody cares. If Mullen hadn't lost to USA, the shorts would have never been brought up.

Bingo. It was about the casual attitude it signified. If he'd won, we'd have hailed him as a trendsetter with the guts to wear shorts.

CadaverDawg
10-12-2023, 11:17 PM
I would think we did great if we hired any of the following...

1. Jamey Chadwell

2. GJ Kinne

3. Dave Clawson

I like guys that are consistently winning at lower tier schools without major advantages.

I am honestly stunned that people are saying Malzahn, Petrino, etc. I'd rather have Mullen back than either, but I'd rather have one of the above instead. Chadwell seems like the perfect guy to me....45ish, wins everywhere he goes, Southernish roots. I don't know if it's realistic to get Chadwell, but that would be great.

Jonathan Smith would be great, but he has never ventured out of the Northwest, and is at his alma mater, so I'm not thinking he is realistic either.

Kinne would also be a home run. I know he hasn't stayed in one place very long, but you can't blame the guy for wanting to climb. Let us be his entry into the SEC, bc he will get it at some point. Texas roots, young innovative guy....would love this hire.

A young up and coming offensive genius, or a coach that has shown the consistency of overachieving at disadvantaged programs....that's my targets.

PGHBulldogBG
10-13-2023, 07:09 AM

1. Jamey Chadwell

2. GJ Kinne

3. Dave Clawson

I like guys that are consistently winning at lower tier schools without major advantages.

I am honestly stunned that people are saying Malzahn, Petrino, etc. I'd rather have Mullen back than either, but I'd rather have one of the above instead. Chadwell seems like the perfect guy to me....45ish, wins everywhere he goes, Southernish roots. I don't know if it's realistic to get Chadwell, but that would be great.

Jonathan Smith would be great, but he has never ventured out of the Northwest, and is at his alma mater, so I'm not thinking he is realistic either.

Kinne would also be a home run. I know he hasn't stayed in one place very long, but you can't blame the guy for wanting to climb. Let us be his entry into the SEC, bc he will get it at some point. Texas roots, young innovative guy....would love this hire.

A young up and coming offensive genius, or a coach that has shown the consistency of overachieving at disadvantaged programs....that's my targets.

Best list of potential coaches I have seen so far. I don?t know much about Kinne but Chadwell and Clawson would be homerun hires and exactly what we need if Arnett doesn?t work out. I?m still willing to give Arnett until the end of the year though to see if he can fix things

TrapGame
10-13-2023, 08:07 AM

1. Jamey Chadwell

2. GJ Kinne

3. Dave Clawson

After watching the Liberty/App State game I'd 100% be down with Chadwell.

KB21
10-13-2023, 08:16 AM
Got to get that triple option to Mississippi State. QBs and WRs will love playing in that scheme.

HancockCountyDog
10-13-2023, 09:09 AM
Got to get that triple option to Mississippi State. QBs and WRs will love playing in that scheme.

You just named two of the most expensive positions to recruit to in the NIL world we live in.

Top flight kids don't care about system, they care about NIL.

For MSU to be good at football the QB must be dual threat because it is the only way to even the playing field against SEC defenses when we don't have equal talent at all of the other positions. If you don't realize that, I can't help you.

Stonka is the best WR commit we have had in a long time and he didn't commit to a pure air raid offense, so I'm not sure you have a point.

KB21
10-13-2023, 10:00 AM
You just named two of the most expensive positions to recruit to in the NIL world we live in.

Top flight kids don't care about system, they care about NIL.

For MSU to be good at football the QB must be dual threat because it is the only way to even the playing field against SEC defenses when we don't have equal talent at all of the other positions. If you don't realize that, I can't help you.

Stonka is the best WR commit we have had in a long time and he didn't commit to a pure air raid offense, so I'm not sure you have a point.

Oh, I absolutely have a point. Good WRs aren't going to play in an offense where their touches will be limited due to scheme. Same goes for good QBs. It appears some of you want a particular style because you have that age long belief that many Mississippi State fans have that say we can't recruit QBs and WRs well enough to throw the football. When you say dual threat, you are really saying a QB that can run whether he can actually throw or not. Because true dual threat QBs who can operate and excel in the passing game are few and far between.

HancockCountyDog
10-13-2023, 10:09 AM
Because true dual threat QBs who can operate and excel in the passing game are few and far between.

This is the only thing you said that I agree with. They are extremely rare and are very expensive. We cannot swim in those NIL waters.

I don't have a preference for an offense at MSU except I don't want a triple option, pro-style or pure air raid. You can't be successful with those styles in the SEC on a consistent basis. I'm fine with a modified Air Raid with read option concepts, I'm fine with an option attack out of the shotgun with read option passing plays.

On pure football level, for MSU to be successful offensively, we need a QB that can get first downs with their feet as well as their arm. We need someone that can convert 3rd and 3 with their legs sometimes. The best teams at schools like MSU - Arkansas (Matt Jones), AU (Cam, Marshall), bears (Kelly, Corral) SC (Garcia) and A&M (Manziel) all mobile QB's that could throw that leveled the playing field. IT is no coincidence that our best years 2009, 2014 and 2015 we had a mobile QB.

KB21
10-13-2023, 10:19 AM
This is the only thing you said that I agree with. They are extremely rare and are very expensive. We cannot swim in those NIL waters.

I don't have a preference for an offense at MSU except I don't want a triple option, pro-style or pure air raid. You can't be successful with those styles in the SEC on a consistent basis. I'm fine with a modified Air Raid with read option concepts, I'm fine with an option attack out of the shotgun with read option passing plays.

On pure football level, for MSU to be successful offensively, we need a QB that can get first downs with their feet as well as their arm. We need someone that can convert 3rd and 3 with their legs sometimes. The best teams at schools like MSU - Arkansas (Matt Jones), AU (Cam, Marshall), bears (Kelly, Corral) SC (Garcia) and A&M (Manziel) all mobile QB's that could throw that leveled the playing field. IT is no coincidence that our best years 2009, 2014 and 2015 we had a mobile QB.

Did you mean 1999?

Also, look at the history of MSU QBs. There is a reason that the offense with Dak is probably the best we have ever seen at Mississippi State. He could throw the ball, throw it accurately, and excel in the passing game. Nick Fitzgerald couldn't. Chris Relf couldn't. Go back to the days of Derrick Taite. He couldn't.

Goldendawg
10-13-2023, 10:28 AM
Free article on genespage yesterday on every transfer out since 2019 and their performance at their new schools. Those 3 highly ranked Texas QB's (Two 4's and a mid 3, I think), have been busts to boot. In fact the only real loss to date may be RaRa. He only has a dozen catches so far but his ypc is impressive. Recruiting, as we know so well, is a real crap shoot for us. Those average of about 51% of our recruits who left the last 3 years have not made a contribution anywhere , some out of football. Makes me think we have had very poor evaluation of our commits the last three years.

CoachT14
10-13-2023, 10:31 AM

1. Jamey Chadwell

2. GJ Kinne

3. Dave Clawson

Good list outside of Clawson. He's fine, I'm just not a massive fan of his in general. It's a boring hire. I get that he's at Wake Forest, but he's just been meh outside of 1 year.

I'd rather grab a Chadwell or Huff type at this juncture over Clawson. Give me someone younger with some energy about them. I think Kinne is a stud in the waiting possibly. It's risky though. Just depends on what type of risk we are willing to take. Chadwell is a safer hire than Kinne, but would be ecstatic for either.

Really Clark?
10-13-2023, 10:36 AM
I like Kinne as well. My biggest issue with him is he is only 1 year in D1 as HC. And he can't recruit. Or he can but he's never stayed longer than a year anywhere to know if he can or if he has a good recruiting plan to build a program upon.

CoachT14
10-13-2023, 10:41 AM
I like Kinne as well. My biggest issue with him is he is only 1 year in D1 as HC. And he can't recruit. Or he can but he's never stayed longer than a year anywhere to know if he can or if he has a good recruiting plan to build a program upon.

There's definitely some give and take with him. He showed the ability to use the portal extremely effectively. His lack of experience (and big time football experience) and questionable recruiting ability is worrisome. His defense sucks this year so does he have the connections to hire a legit DC too? The offense is a no doubter though.

KB21
10-13-2023, 10:55 AM
Good luck trying to attract WRs and QBs to Chadwell's spread triple option offense.

CoachT14
10-13-2023, 10:58 AM
Good luck trying to attract WRs and QBs to Chadwell's spread triple option offense.

Im glad you finally used a semi correct term for his offense.

I think Kaidon Salter and Grayson McCall would disagree though.

KB21
10-13-2023, 11:00 AM
Im glad you finally used a semi correct term for his offense.

I think Kaidon Salter and Grayson McCall would disagree though.

Neither one of those QBs can operate a drop back passing scheme.

MrCoachKlein
10-13-2023, 11:10 AM

You would shit a brick because he doesn't run AR and runs the ball almost as much as he passes

KB21
10-13-2023, 11:32 AM
LOL at the idea that McDaniel is running a run first offense in Miami.

HancockCountyDog
10-13-2023, 11:37 AM

He said that he runs it almost as much as he passes it. His offense this year is 55/45 pass run split. So, I'm struggling to see where he is wrong.

CoachT14
10-13-2023, 11:56 AM
Neither one of those QBs can operate a drop back passing scheme.

Sure.

HoopsDawg
10-13-2023, 01:00 PM
Need to hire a coach who is exceptional at evaluating, recruiting and developing QBs. The rest can be worked out.

KentuckyDawg13
10-13-2023, 01:13 PM
Petrino should NEVER be in the discussion.

DownwardDawg
10-13-2023, 01:30 PM
Petrino should NEVER be in the discussion.

Wow. Nothing like Freeze, Briles, etc....
But ok. While I'm not sure I would be real excited about the hire, at this point I would be absolutely fine with it. His 1 issue was a long time ago. And nothing compared to those others.

TrapGame
10-13-2023, 01:48 PM
Wow. Nothing like Freeze, Briles, etc....
But ok. While I'm not sure I would be real excited about the hire, at this point I would be absolutely fine with it. His 1 issue was a long time ago. And nothing compared to those others.

Exactly. Petrino is good candidate. He's not my first choice by far but we could do a hell of a lot worse than Bobby Petrino. I like preachers in church on Sunday not coaching football teams on Saturdays.

KB21
10-13-2023, 02:23 PM
Petrino isn't a good candidate because the game has passed him by. His second Louisville tenure wasn't good, and he was fired after going 2-8. His tenure at Missouri State wasn't good either.

TrapGame
10-13-2023, 03:00 PM
Petrino isn't a good candidate because the game has passed him by. His second Louisville tenure wasn't good, and he was fired after going 2-8. His tenure at Missouri State wasn't good either.

Seems to be working pretty good for Jimbo. His WKU tenure was pretty good. He also had one losing season at Missouri State. I know you want a wet behind the ears coach that's air raid.

StarkVegasSteve
10-13-2023, 03:01 PM
Exactly. Petrino is good candidate. He's not my first choice by far but we could do a hell of a lot worse than Bobby Petrino. I like preachers in church on Sunday not coaching football teams on Saturdays.

Why does it matter to so many the morals of a FB coach? Especially in this day and age where you have to get down in the mud to be successful. If it was a high school FB coach then yea I might get it, but not a college football coach.

KB21
10-13-2023, 03:10 PM
Seems to be working pretty good for Jimbo. His WKU tenure was pretty good. He also had one losing season at Missouri State. I know you want a wet behind the ears coach that's air raid.

I want a coach that has the potential to be great. I see all these young coaches succeeding in the NFL, and I want to see that in college. So, yeah. I want someone that is wet behind the ears who hasn't been polluted by conventional wisdom when it comes to scheming. I want an offensive minded coach who isn't afraid to use analytics in his decision making process.

Todd4State
10-13-2023, 04:07 PM
I want a coach that has the potential to be great. I see all these young coaches succeeding in the NFL, and I want to see that in college. So, yeah. I want someone that is wet behind the ears who hasn't been polluted by conventional wisdom when it comes to scheming. I want an offensive minded coach who isn't afraid to use analytics in his decision making process.

Not sure how much they use analytics but someone that is ahead of the curve like a GJ Kinne or any of the modified Air Raid guys would be good pick ups. Possibly an OC like a Lebby or Sean Lewis.

KB21
10-13-2023, 04:19 PM
Not sure how much they use analytics but someone that is ahead of the curve like a GJ Kinne or any of the modified Air Raid guys would be good pick ups. Possibly an OC like a Lebby or Sean Lewis.

Kinne has been around Howie Roseman, so that is a plus. Jeff Lebby is 39. Sean Lewis is 37. GJ Kinne is 34. Those are my top three. Garrett Riley (34) and Zach Kittley (32) would round out my top 5. My wild card would be Brian Johnson (36).

MrCoachKlein
10-13-2023, 10:38 PM

I know I won't get an honest answer because you're incapable of that, but why do you think your favorite coach wasted 525 plays the past 1.25 years with run plays? I mean he's so smart and running the football is 'obviously' retarded. Is he just dumb?

The Federalist Engineer
10-14-2023, 01:49 AM
Gundy will never happen. He is Mr Cowboy.

MSU could get the other dudes on your list. Dykes left SMU for TCU. That means he likes promotions. Would be cool if MSU took Beamer so I could dunk on USCe friends. "Y'all are MSU's minor league farm school."