PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys think?.

Tough Dawg
10-04-2023, 09:33 PM
Dan would come back? With a clear head and mind to stay here 15 years. Appreciate what he had and what he could still have here. Just curious. I know he still has friends in Starkville.

Homedawg
10-04-2023, 09:44 PM
No. Next question

DownwardDawg
10-04-2023, 09:49 PM
No. Next question

Agree. Nope.
He won't be offered but if he was offered he would turn it down. I don't think he's leaving ESPN for a coaching job.

Commercecomet24
10-04-2023, 09:51 PM
Loved what Dan did for us when he was here but heck no! He?s to busy chasing his sons golf game around and only working a couple days a week and making a chunk anyways

Really Clark?
10-04-2023, 09:57 PM
Nope. Don't believe in backtracking either. Loved what he did here first time though.

KOdawg1
10-04-2023, 09:59 PM
Would Dan come back? Maybe.

Would I take him back? Probably not, but I'm not as adamantly against it as others.

EdwardDrayton
10-04-2023, 10:19 PM
He will NEVER be welcome back. It's over. Let it go.

preachermatt83
10-04-2023, 10:24 PM
I’d take Dan back right now. At whatever price he asked. Forget the pride. I want to win

Quaoarsking
10-05-2023, 12:50 AM
I would take him back, but only if he had his contract written in a way that prevented him from job hunting. Like a $20,000,000 buyout or something that would make no school even bother talking to him.

parabrave
10-05-2023, 01:15 AM
I would take him back, but only if he had his contract written in a way that prevented him from job hunting. Like a $20,000,000 buyout or something that would make no school even bother talking to him.

That and he had to have a recruiting coordinator and also he couldn't run a smurf up the middle 5 times in a row, God bless MS Holloway.

Leroy Jenkins
10-05-2023, 06:56 AM
I never understood why women go back to abusive relationships.

SteelCurtain74
10-05-2023, 07:07 AM

100% agree. I don't understand the segment of our fan base that on one hand complains about the administration and coaching hires then turns around and offers up either unrealistic candidates or guys that have no business ever walking the sidelines of MSU.

Leroy Jenkins
10-05-2023, 07:52 AM

...but here I am every football season. Ironic.

confucius say
10-05-2023, 08:35 AM
I’d take Dan back right now. At whatever price he asked. Forget the pride. I want to win

I've had people mention just hire art Briles

Tater
10-05-2023, 08:42 AM
Dan has humbled himself a bit and has the coaching itch again.

He's in talks to be OU's OC next year. (Lebby is gone regardless of result, he pissed of some very very prominent boosters.)

was21
10-05-2023, 08:46 AM
No. He wouldn't come back. Period.

Really Clark?
10-05-2023, 08:47 AM
I've had people mention just hire art Briles

They need their head examined

confucius say
10-05-2023, 08:52 AM
They need their head examined

Yea, just meant it in response to the "just win" comment (not saying preacher wants Briles)

Is it true Briles was cleared of any wrongdoing?

Goldendawg
10-05-2023, 08:53 AM
Would Dan get the band, I mean Country Club back together?**** Of course Turner, Knox, & Hughes are already with us. Turner probably never had Country Club status as he is on the "D".

KB21
10-05-2023, 09:00 AM
Do I think that we have boosters who will reach out to him to gauge his interest if a change is made? Yes. Do I think he will ever coach in college again? No. He's having a blast making big money in a job where he is not getting second guessed and doesn't have to recruit anyone.

Goldendawg
10-05-2023, 09:07 AM
Is Alan McKeene still alive?*** Never mind "Cigar Boys" of that day ran him off also. We have had a poor history of successful coaches since that point. Those who forget history........

TrapGame
10-05-2023, 09:44 AM
Dan ain't coming back but I would not be surprised if helps us recruit a new coach. Dan has a lot of connections now with ESPN. He can put in a good word with a viable candidate.

Really Clark?
10-05-2023, 09:58 AM
Yea, just meant it in response to the "just win" comment (not saying preacher wants Briles)

Is it true Briles was cleared of any wrongdoing?

NCAA? Yeah they didn't the school but really don't have a mechanism on an individual hiding criminal accusations to "charge" him so to speak. Lawsuit still pending and I think it is about to start.

CaptainObvious
10-05-2023, 10:19 AM
I am sure there is a high school coach in Mississippi just itching to take the Mississippi State job!

Because that is exactly the level we are going to get the way some of you are so adamant about who you DONT want!

In case y?all STILL haven?t figured it out, we are STILL Po Ol? Missippi State and Urban Meyer ain?t coming here!

Really Clark?
10-05-2023, 10:25 AM
I am sure there is a high school coach in Mississippi just itching to take the Mississippi State job!

Because that is exactly the level we are going to get the way some of you are so adamant about who you DONT want!

In case y?all STILL haven?t figured it out, we are STILL Po Ol? Missippi State and Urban Meyer ain?t coming here!

Strange rant on a post about Dan Mullen. There are a lot who call it Po Ol for hiring a Mullen again. Make up y'all's Po Ol Mind.

BlackSailsDawg
10-05-2023, 10:32 AM
I saw a thread on sixpack talking about who is out there. There's several things to consider on why we SHOULD change at the end of the year.

- We should be the only SEC team that would be looking. UF is locked in and they are still paying for past coaches. ARK just upped Pittman's contract and length. 5 million. Those are about the only 2 that I see that might want to make a move. That's good for us. Want a shot in the SEC, we are the only one you get this year.

- There are many coaches out there with a great history making LESS than we are paying Arnett. On is the HC at WSU. They are undefeated and ranked 6th in total offense. He's making less than Arnnet. Somebody suggested Longo who is making 1.25 per year. He has won every where... including the SEC and the state of MS.

Short story, we have an opportunity to grab a proven coach and there are many out there itching to get into an SEC team.

Todd4State
10-05-2023, 10:37 AM

He would need a clause about recruiting too.

Dan did well here but he would not move our program any more forward than he did when he was here. And it took two coaches to clean up our program after he left- and the same is happening at Florida right now too.

Bringing back Dan would be a really bad idea.

BlackSailsDawg
10-05-2023, 10:38 AM

Dan did well here but he would not move our program any more forward than he did when he was here. And it took two coaches to clean up our program after he left- and the same is happening at Florida right now too.

People only remember the 2014 season

Todd4State
10-05-2023, 10:39 AM
I saw a thread on sixpack talking about who is out there. There's several things to consider on why we SHOULD change at the end of the year.

- We should be the only SEC team that would be looking. UF is locked in and they are still paying for past coaches. ARK just upped Pittman's contract and length. 5 million. Those are about the only 2 that I see that might want to make a move. That's good for us. Want a shot in the SEC, we are the only one you get this year.

- There are many coaches out there with a great history making LESS than we are paying Arnett. On is the HC at WSU. They are undefeated and ranked 6th in total offense. He's making less than Arnnet. Somebody suggested Longo who is making 1.25 per year. He has won every where... including the SEC and the state of MS.

Short story, we have an opportunity to grab a proven coach and there are many out there itching to get into an SEC team.

We'll see. Money only appears to be an object at MSU. I think you could very well see several openings in the SEC this offseason.

BlackSailsDawg
10-05-2023, 10:47 AM
We'll see. Money only appears to be an object at MSU. I think you could very well see several openings in the SEC this offseason.

Todd, I dont know who else would have an opening.

Tamu is on the up swing

Ole miss ain't firing Kiffin (though he may just leave)

UK, he ain't going anywhere

LSU, not likely.

Auburn, just hired Freeze he's on good ground.

Vandy?

USC, I think he's solid too. They just extended his contract through 2027 with a raise. 6.2 million starting this season. Beamer's buyout ensures that he would receive 65% of his remaining contract value.

UGA and Bama... Nope.

Mizzou... Undefeated right now.

UT, he is safe. He beat Bama.

Who do you think will be gone at the end of the season?

CaptainObvious
10-05-2023, 11:18 AM
Strange rant on a post about Dan Mullen. There are a lot who call it Po Ol for hiring a Mullen again. Make up y'all's Po Ol Mind.
Not my point.

Point:
Everybody says who they DONT want.
Nobody says who they want that we CAN GET!

Matt3467
10-05-2023, 11:24 AM

I see a lot of people that knock the recruiting while Dan was here but we had more talent at one time on campus than we arguably ever had.

Really Clark?
10-05-2023, 11:26 AM
Not my point.

Point:
Everybody says who they DONT want.
Nobody says who they want that we CAN GET!

You probably just missed it but we had that discussion yesterday with a lot of suggestions. Unrealistic and realistic.

viverlibre
10-05-2023, 11:31 AM
Recruiting/Portal/Retaining are more important now than ever. He couldn't do that with all UF's resources, so he's a no for me.

Todd4State
10-05-2023, 11:34 AM
Todd, I dont know who else would have an opening.

Tamu is on the up swing

Ole miss ain't firing Kiffin (though he may just leave)

UK, he ain't going anywhere

LSU, not likely.

Auburn, just hired Freeze he's on good ground.

Vandy?

USC, I think he's solid too. They just extended his contract through 2027 with a raise. 6.2 million starting this season. Beamer's buyout ensures that he would receive 65% of his remaining contract value.

UGA and Bama... Nope.

Mizzou... Undefeated right now.

UT, he is safe. He beat Bama.

Who do you think will be gone at the end of the season?

Florida- which could then result in an opening at Ole Miss.

You never know when Saban is going to retire- but it's sooner than later.

Stoops could get hired away.

Pittman at Arkansas is a loss away from being on the hot seat.

BlackSailsDawg
10-05-2023, 12:03 PM
Florida- which could then result in an opening at Ole Miss.

You never know when Saban is going to retire- but it's sooner than later.

Stoops could get hired away.

Pittman at Arkansas is a loss away from being on the hot seat.

FL is already paying for a past coach. The current coach: Napier came to Florida in 2022 with an initial salary of $7.1M. That salary is set to increase by $100,000 in each of the seven years his contract runs through. So Napier is earning $7.2M this year, in 2023, will earn $7.3M in 2024, and so on. In total, that seven-year deal is worth $51.8M.
They would have to pay him 85% of the remaining salary. Napier would be paid 50% of that buyout within 30 days of being fired while the remainder would be paid in equal installments (12.5%) over four years.

So it would take them paying out 18.6 plus million within 30 days. and 4.7 Million every year for 4 years. They are currently paying Mullen 1 million per year for the next 4 years. They would be paying out 5.7 million per year PLUS what they would be paying a new coach.

Saban has been retiring for the last 5 years.

Stoops is at home. That's where he wants to be and that is reflected in his.... 10 YEAR contract signed at the end of the season and it includes a raise and increased buyout. $8.6 million per season, beginning in February 2023. If that stayed level (and it doesn't) That's 86 Million.

Pittman was just extended too. 5 years starting at 5 Million per year. So 25 Million minimum. His addons:

Graduate 80-89% of players with exhausted eligibility — $12,500
Graduate 90% of players with exhausted eligibility — $25,000
Earn SEC Coach of the Year — $25,000
Earn National Coach of the Year — $50,000
Reach Tier 3 bowl — $100,000
Appear in SEC Championship — $100,000
Reach Tier 2 bowl — $150,000
Reach New Year’s 6 bowl — $250,000
Win SEC Championship — $250,000
Win 7 games — $250,000 (extra year added to contract)
Win 8 games — $500,000 (extra year added to contract)
Win 9 games — $750,000 (extra year added to contract)
Earn Playoff berth — $750,000
Win national title — $1,000,000

If at any point on the contract Arkansas wins 7 games — inclusive of a bowl game against a Power 5 or Top 25 team — then he gets an extra year added to the end of the deal. His annual base salary would also get a $250,000 bump to go from $5 million to $5.25 million for the remainder of his contract.

If Pittman wins 8 games in 2022, each of his remaining years left on this new deal will get a $500,000 bump to go from $5 million to $5.5 million in base pay. For a 9-win season, his remaining base salary would get a $750,00 increase to go from $5 million to $5.75 million for the next 5 years.

There are also 3 different times in which Pittman can receive retention bonuses. If he’s still Arkansas’ coach on Dec. 31, 2024, he’ll receive $3,300,000. On Dec. 31, 2026, that number is $2,700,000 and on Dec. 31, 2027, that number is $1,500,000 as long as the contract is extended.

Now if they fire him without cause, they owe him 75%.

Pittman is the Stoops of the west. He is home and it would take the wheels coming off in a major way for them to get rid of him.

NCMSTFAN
10-05-2023, 12:16 PM
I'd take him back, but he isn't coming back. Imagine how much he has learned just sitting back and watching the game as an announcer, sometimes taking a step back and observing does a lot for a person, especially a coach.

confucius say
10-05-2023, 01:11 PM
The wash state staff is about to be in charge of a G5 program. If they want to stay P5, they will be looking to move.

No on Beamer. I'd rather keep ZA. Beamer is in year 3 and that roster is worse than ours with the exception of Rattler who followed Beamer from Oklahoma. No thanks.

But I still think all of this is premature and not beneficial. Let it play out.

TrapGame
10-05-2023, 01:16 PM
The wash state staff is about to be in charge of a G5 program. If they want to stay P5, they will be looking to move.

No on Beamer. I'd rather keep ZA. Beamer is in year 3 and that roster is worse than ours with the exception of Rattler who followed Beamer from Oklahoma. No thanks.

But I still think all of this is premature and not beneficial. Let it play out.

SEC Radio says keep an eye on Oregon State's coach. He doesn't like the situation they are in with the PAC12.

If message boards let it play out it would be dead around here.

Really Clark?
10-05-2023, 01:21 PM
SEC Radio says keep an eye on Oregon State's coach. He doesn't like the situation they are in with the PAC12.

If message boards let it play out it would be dead around here.

He has done a really good job out there after Covid

BulldogBear
10-05-2023, 01:54 PM
Is Alan McKeene still alive?*** Never mind "Cigar Boys" of that day ran him off also. We have had a poor history of successful coaches since that point. Those who forget history........

I'm not sure anyone will ever do as well here as he did. If they'd have left well enough alone, there's no telling what kind of butterfly effect changes that would have even rippling down to the present day.

BeardoMSU
10-05-2023, 09:21 PM
I?d take Dan back right now. At whatever price he asked. Forget the pride. I want to win

Lol, oh Lordy...