PDA

View Full Version : Friend: "We?ve got to continue to get better, targeting the right people. "

BlackSailsDawg
10-03-2023, 09:45 PM
A complete spring

A Complete Summer

5 games in and they still are not grasping it. BUT, when we play those AR concepts... they get it. So either the OL players COLLECTIVELY just too Stupid to learn ( I mean all of them!), or the staff responsible for teaching it just SUCKS at teaching it.

msstate7
10-03-2023, 09:48 PM
Have you ever thought, man, maybe I should just let it go?

BlackSailsDawg
10-03-2023, 09:52 PM
Have you ever thought, man, maybe I should just let it go?

Not once.

Did you? Bet you didn't!

BARBAY today: “On the other interception that we had there was miss-communication, a little bit of a protection we had. Miss communication... Bad protection.

CadaverDawg
10-03-2023, 09:59 PM
They aren't an Air Raid staff...maybe they don't know how to run it! A few concepts may be all they know. Either way, that's not the future of the offense, so these guys have to learn it or we'll be doing the same awful shit next year.

First things first, get the Air Raid system QB out from behind center and that will help.

BlackSailsDawg
10-03-2023, 10:05 PM
They aren't an Air Raid staff...maybe they don't know how to run it! A few concepts may be all they know. Either way, that's not the future of the offense, so these guys have to learn it or we'll be doing the same awful shit next year.

First things first, get the Air Raid system QB out from behind center and that will help.

And that's not true either. the OC talked about it tonight:

You’re using more four-wides at times and then come in with a true tight end; air raid and classic run game stuff?

“It’s really about the personnel that you’ve got and the schemes that we’re trying to execute.”

“You might go into a 10-personnel group because this guy is a better route runner; or it might be an 11-personnel because this guy is a better blocker on the perimeter. Now, the key is you’ve got to make sure you’re mixing enough of that and quality controlling yourself, so that defensive guys don’t know every time you put this guy in you’re throwing or running.”

VS USCe, the 3rd play of the game was a 30 yard in the air pass to Tulu and it was the Air Raid down to the wide splits. It's not that he doesn't know. He just isn;t going to do it.

These guys have to learn it? LOL! They won;t be here next year! They are SRs and Grad Transfers.

And no it won't help because they are still miscommunication and still don't know who to block. The 2 most sacked QBs in the SEC are "mobile" QBs.

CadaverDawg
10-03-2023, 10:07 PM
And that's not true either. the OC talked about it tonight:

You’re using more four-wides at times and then come in with a true tight end; air raid and classic run game stuff?

“It’s really about the personnel that you’ve got and the schemes that we’re trying to execute.”

“You might go into a 10-personnel group because this guy is a better route runner; or it might be an 11-personnel because this guy is a better blocker on the perimeter. Now, the key is you’ve got to make sure you’re mixing enough of that and quality controlling yourself, so that defensive guys don’t know every time you put this guy in you’re throwing or running.”

VS USCe, the 3rd play of the game was a 30 yard in the air pass to Tulu and it was the Air Raid down to the wide splits. It's not that he doesn't know. He just isn;t going to do it.

These guys have to learn it? LOL! They won;t be here next year! They are SRs and Grad Transfers.

Then put the young ones in

KB21
10-04-2023, 06:05 AM

If getting the Air Raid QB out will help, that is an indication that there is a better player who is backing him up. We have three previous years of data that shows the back up is in fact a lot worse than the starter.

As much as I have called this system ground and pound because of how desperate Barbay is to run the ball, the passing component of this system is very much a drop back pro style system. It?s not a zone read system built around the QBs running ability, and they aren?t running much RPO. Mike Wright can?t run this system from a passing standpoint. He?s not accurate enough and isn?t a progression read style QB.

CadaverDawg
10-04-2023, 06:59 AM
If getting the Air Raid QB out will help, that is an indication that there is a better player who is backing him up. We have three previous years of data that shows the back up is in fact a lot worse than the starter.

As much as I have called this system ground and pound because of how desperate Barbay is to run the ball, the passing component of this system is very much a drop back pro style system. It?s not a zone read system built around the QBs running ability, and they aren?t running much RPO. Mike Wright can?t run this system from a passing standpoint. He?s not accurate enough and isn?t a progression read style QB.

Neither can Will. But at least Wright can run.

BlackSailsDawg
10-04-2023, 08:01 AM

Rogers isn't blocking and running routes as a WR. Fix the real issue. As the coaching staff said yesterday, with enough time from protection, we get record breaking games. Roger's a career high and Tulu a career high.

Gutter Cobreh
10-04-2023, 08:11 AM
Rogers isn't blocking and running routes as a WR. Fix the real issue. As the coaching staff said yesterday, with enough time from protection, we get record breaking games. Roger's a career high and Tulu a career high.

And with 5* players at every position maybe we win every game... guess what - we don't have those nor has protection shown to last long enough for these fictitious record breaking gains...

A mobile QB can extend the play. Guess what Roger's can't do? If you said extend the play - you're correct.

At some point soon, we'll be playing for next year. Might as well rip the band-aid off and make the change.

BlackSailsDawg
10-04-2023, 09:19 AM
And with 5* players at every position maybe we win every game... guess what - we don't have those nor has protection shown to last long enough for these fictitious record breaking gains...

A mobile QB can extend the play. Guess what Roger's can't do? If you said extend the play - you're correct.

At some point soon, we'll be playing for next year. Might as well rip the band-aid off and make the change.

No. Facts do not show any of these. The 2 most sacked QBs in the SEC are Mobile QBs that can't avoid sacks. KJ and Milroe. We did have better protection last year with this OL. That proof in in the number of sacks. Last year 1 sack per 24 passing attempts. This year 1 out of 10.

Yes.. bench all of the starters because they won;t be here next year. Let every recruit know that no matter how successful you were, if we change staffs in your SR year... you are expendable.... even though you did great last season... but this new staff has to play for the future and since you will not be here...

That's a great concept

Santiago
10-04-2023, 09:25 AM

Air Raid, modified, should be our future. If we really stick with this good ole boy BS, then it is on the staff and administration. We are an outpost school in the SEC, and need the different type of offense. But instead we go hire buddies who have failed at other locations, and push for a 180.
So, Parson is an air raid QB. should he transfer too?
Creed came to play in the air raid, as did the other freshmen. Should they all leave because those that don't like the air raid are now calling the shots?
Our admin and staff waited until after they all signed, and then backtracked on saying everything would stay similar.
Heck Justin Brown left in the spring and Paul Jones had him pegged as a potential freshman in the air raid that would make an impact.
I can see an exodus after this season....but go ahead tell them what the future really is.

MaroonFlounder
10-04-2023, 09:29 AM
I've never seen a situation where 2 of the 3 major sports (in this case, baseball & football) have coaches that admit they don't know how to fix it.

RezDog7
10-04-2023, 09:31 AM

That's more of an indictment on Leach for not getting a better QB. Imagine how many games he could have won if we went got a better QB from the portal.

Santiago
10-04-2023, 09:33 AM
That's more of an indictment on Leach for not getting a better QB. Imagine how many games he could have won if we went got a better QB from the portal.

Locke would have been the backup this year if not pushing for significant minutes. I almost forgot about him myself until yesterday.
We forget Leach inherited Rogers, and was signing some really good QBs. Locke, then Parson, then the QB this class. It was about to really change after Rogers.
The drop 8 would have not worked on us with these QBs. They are mobile and can push the ball downfield more also.

Locke basically left as soon as he knew the system and his coaches were changing. Justin Brown left in the spring(WR) but had enrolled early to get playing time in the air raid.
I don't think they will be alone after this 180 system change.

Sixpack had good threads in my opinion, about why did our administration not just give the offensive coaches the chance to stay a year also due to the circumstances, and keep the system similar, except add some running. Then that gives time to transition if needed, and make some better decisions. Arnett maybe could have focused more on his own defense instead of dealing with a whole new offensive staff.

SPMT
10-04-2023, 09:36 AM
I've never seen a situation where 2 of the 3 major sports (in this case, baseball & football) have coaches that admit they don't know how to fix it.

Have they said this?

KB21
10-04-2023, 09:40 AM

And running ability in a QB doesn't mean shit when that QB can't operate as a passer.

BlackSailsDawg
10-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Our WR room is full of 4 star WRs because of Leach.

BlackSailsDawg
10-04-2023, 09:45 AM

Leach had QBs lined up. Them transferring because he is no longer here is on this current staff. The current staff failed to get a QB to challenge Rogers from the Portal. Meanwhile, Ole Miss got how many?

Santiago
10-04-2023, 09:49 AM

Leach had QBs lined up. Them transferring because he is no longer here is on this current staff. The current staff failed to get a QB to challenge Rogers from the Portal. Meanwhile, Ole Miss got how many?

they should have left most of the offensive staff in place if they wanted the job, promote one to OC, and keep things stable for this year. Have Arnett then focus on things he really knows, and not throw the whole job at him.

Losing Locke was big, and I think Justin Brown would have been an impact as a freshman WR along with Creed in the air raid.
This dismantling isn't over, unless end of the year there is a recommitment to the system we were previously building. And I do not see us raiding the portal with a low NIL like some think we can.

We were on the right track to have an offensive system that attracts skill players out of HS, and then maybe use our NIL for defense, and OL if needed.

gtowndawg
10-04-2023, 09:52 AM
Then put the young ones in

It's such a crazy idea it might just work!

BlackSailsDawg
10-04-2023, 10:37 AM
they should have left most of the offensive staff in place if they wanted the job, promote one to OC, and keep things stable for this year. Have Arnett then focus on things he really knows, and not throw the whole job at him.

Losing Locke was big, and I think Justin Brown would have been an impact as a freshman WR along with Creed in the air raid.
This dismantling isn't over, unless end of the year there is a recommitment to the system we were previously building. And I do not see us raiding the portal with a low NIL like some think we can.

We were on the right track to have an offensive system that attracts skill players out of HS, and then maybe use our NIL for defense, and OL if needed.

Yep.

HancockCountyDog
10-04-2023, 11:05 AM

Full of 4 stars? Are you serious? The only guys that any service rated as 4 stars is Tulu, Zavion and Creed. They all play basically the same position.

Plus, this is the SEC, 3 four star players is not something that is unique or makes us special. If anything that probably puts us below average as far as talent in a position group.

Santiago
10-04-2023, 11:08 AM
Full of 4 stars? Are you serious? The only guys that any service rated as 4 stars is Tulu, Zavion and Creed. They all play basically the same position.

Plus, this is the SEC, 3 four star players is not something that is unique or makes us special. If anything that probably puts us below average as far as talent in a position group.

Robinson was 4 star , right? So was Mosely I thought.

BlackSailsDawg
10-04-2023, 11:11 AM
Robinson was 4 star , right? So was Mosely I thought.

Yes the 4 star guys are:

Creed
Tulu
Robinson
Mosely
Thomas
Harmon (was moved to TE/hybrid)

Coursesuper
10-04-2023, 11:33 AM

Truth.

Political Hack
10-04-2023, 01:52 PM
If we run a system that demands supreme talent, we will lose. That's what we're doing. We're running a system that demands our OL be better than their DL. Our RBs be better than their LBs. And our WRs be better than their DBs. In today's NIL environment, we'd better out pay everyone in the SEC if we're going to continue running the 1990-esq pro-style offense.

At Miss St we HAVE to run an offense that makes up for a lack of supreme talent. Even read option puts their DEs in peril and lets us run 5 OL against 3-4 DL with free guys climbing to the 2nd level. It's a scheme advantage. If we don't have scheme advantage from a simple numbers perspective, we will NEVER beat the Bama's, Auburn's, A&M's, LSU's or even ole miss. Anybody who doesn't understand this, doesn't understand Miss State football.

BlackSailsDawg
10-04-2023, 02:01 PM
If we run a system that demands supreme talent, we will lose. That's what we're doing. We're running a system that demands our OL be better than their DL. Our RBs be better than their LBs. And our WRs be better than their DBs. In today's NIL environment, we'd better out pay everyone in the SEC if we're going to continue running the 1990-esq pro-style offense.

At Miss St we HAVE to run an offense that makes up for a lack of supreme talent. Even read option puts their DEs in peril and lets us run 5 OL against 3-4 DL with free guys climbing to the 2nd level. It's a scheme advantage. If we don't have scheme advantage from a simple numbers perspective, we will NEVER beat the Bama's, Auburn's, A&M's, LSU's or even ole miss. Anybody who doesn't understand this, doesn't understand Miss State football.

It's the landscape. If you run a system that competes with all of the SEC for the same players, we are going to lose. It's why right now the 247 people are touting the great future QB who is ranked 475th in the nation. We are not going to out recruit with less pay the players that BAMA, TAMU, UF, Ole Miss, ARK, TX, OU, UGA....etc We are not going to beat them competing with the same system or similar.

We have a history of that for proof. Leach solved this for MSU due to system. QBs want to do what? Throw it. WRs want what, to be thrown too. That with NIL is a better combination for MSU

Goldendawg
10-04-2023, 02:55 PM
But, but, Friend is from Ms and one of us. His love for the state didn't seem to stop him from going out of state to play at bama. I would almost rather see a good instate player go to OM than bama. I did say almost!*****

Coursesuper
10-04-2023, 03:03 PM
But, but, Friend is from Ms and one of us. His love for the state didn't seem to stop him from going out of state to play at bama. I would almost rather see a good instate player go to OM than bama. I did say almost!*****

If it's true that Peterson had as much input to the staff as is eluded to here then it's not very hard to figure out why Will Friend is on this staff.

Goldendawg
10-04-2023, 03:03 PM

More record breaking stats for Will or some wins? This staff is doing Will if not the entire team (and fanbase) an injustice trying to run this "O". Haven't checked today for an update, but how many catches do Goede or Ellis have? With Will inability to runand the opposing D knowing we will not pass to our "TE's ( not counting Harmon when he flexes out), we are playing 9 against 11 on O. I wanted a gradual adjustment with similar passing with more runs. We were all lied to.

Goldendawg
10-04-2023, 03:10 PM

This staff to date cannot evaluate talent in the portal either. OM gets outside WR Harris from LA Tech (?) & he looks like an AA to date. We get Freddy Robinson from Eastern Washington (never heard of the school) who has one catch to date (has he been injured, as I don't see him on field) and 4th string GA TE Goede with no catches at any school.

Goldendawg
10-04-2023, 03:14 PM
Yes the 4 star guys are:

Creed
Tulu
Robinson
Mosely
Thomas
Harmon (was moved to TE/hybrid)

Bless his heart, Harmon is not a TE. Neither is 88 or Ellis (he tries as a former OL, now put into TE position as Freshman), but our OC/HC continue to stubbornly try to run an O that has to have TE's.

BlackSailsDawg
10-04-2023, 04:13 PM
Bless his heart, Harmon is not a TE. Neither is 88 or Ellis (he tries as a former OL, now put into TE position as Freshman), but our OC/HC continue to stubbornly try to run an O that has to have TE's.

That's correct. I was absolutely looking forward to him this year... Now he's lost in the shuffle

defiantdog
10-04-2023, 06:08 PM
I'm starting to think BlackSails is related to Will Rogers

Homedawg
10-04-2023, 06:16 PM
If it's true that Peterson had as much input to the staff as is eluded to here then it's not very hard to figure out why Will Friend is on this staff.

Why? Peterson didn't go to school with Will in high school nor college. Because they both went to hs in ms??? When Will was hired, arnett had coached against him. And Will had a very high grade of available OL coaches.

Homedawg
10-04-2023, 06:17 PM
I'm starting to think BlackSails is related to Will Rogers

I'm starting to think blacksails is Will James. I'm just as sick of him talking about the same crap, air raid as I was reading Will James shit about bunting. It gets old reading the same stuff every freaking post.

Coursesuper
10-04-2023, 06:20 PM
Why? Peterson didn't go to school with Will in high school nor college. Because they both went to hs in ms??? When Will was hired, arnett had coached against him. And Will had a very high grade of available OL coaches.

Where did his dad coach for a very long time? You do realize that this is a very small club and it?s not hard to add 1+1. I mean it?s totally plausible.

Homedawg
10-04-2023, 06:23 PM
Where did his dad coach for a very long time? You do realize that this is a very small club and it?s not hard to add 1+1.

He was at Starkville as an assistant, then neshoba, then Starkville, then out of state. Back to neshoba, Then south panola, now meridian. And I'm not saying he didn't know Will. I'm saying that's not why he got hired.

Coursesuper
10-04-2023, 06:28 PM
He was at Starkville as an assistant, then neshoba, then Starkville, then out of state. Back to neshoba, Then south panola, now meridian. And I'm not saying he didn't know Will. I'm saying that's not why he got hired.

I now where the man coached, hell I played for him. But the hypothesis isn?t too far fetched.

Homedawg
10-04-2023, 06:36 PM
I now where the man coached, hell I played for him. But the hypothesis isn?t too far fetched.

You asked where was he for a long time. I told you where he coached. Guess the long time was at neshoba bc that was his longest stint. Now everyone knows.....

Coursesuper
10-04-2023, 06:43 PM
You asked where was he for a long time. I told you where he coached. Guess the long time was at neshoba bc that was his longest stint. Now everyone knows.....

Do you take everything literally? The man has been a coach the great majority of his career in MS for a long time. That?s a very very small club, so it not a reach if things played out as it was stated here that this relationship could have played a part. Like I said it?s a hypothesis, but plausible.

Homedawg
10-04-2023, 07:13 PM
Do you take everything literally? The man has been a coach the great majority of his career in MS for a long time. That?s a very very small club, so it not a reach if things played out as it was stated here that this relationship could have played a part. Like I said it?s a hypothesis, but plausible.

I get it. Although it is hard to decipher in reading a text /post. .... And I said that's not why he got hired. That simple.

Coach34
10-04-2023, 07:55 PM
I'm starting to think blacksails is Will James. I'm just as sick of him talking about the same crap, air raid as I was reading Will James shit about bunting. It gets old reading the same stuff every freaking post.

I think you cracked the code. He's running a C34 style op and driving the threads

defiantdog
10-05-2023, 07:47 AM
I could see that. He's like a broken record with the same arguments over and over. Dude has to defend his opinion every time someone disagrees. Who does he think he is? C34?

BlackSailsDawg
10-05-2023, 08:06 AM
In reference to MSU and how bad we are, Sports Talk Mr Finebaum responded “I don’t know about that, but there’s no doubt about who’s the most poorly coached team in the league”.

Goldendawg
10-05-2023, 09:19 AM
Did y'all read the latest Q&A articles by CZA and Friend on genespage, free articles? Very concerning, deep solutions like start faster, score first, score more points than them, and hold them to less points than we score. I never thought of that or I might could have been a SEC HC in FB. **** Now, how about a few details on how you plan to do that. Square pegs/round holes and such.

TrapGame
10-05-2023, 09:39 AM
Did y'all read the latest Q&A articles by CZA and Friend on genespage, free articles? Very concerning, deep solutions like start faster, score first, score more points than them, and hold them to less points than we score. I never thought of that or I might could have been a SEC HC in FB. **** Now, how about a few details on how you plan to do that. Square pegs/round holes and such.

Those answers are very Croomesque.

BlackSailsDawg
10-05-2023, 10:21 AM

I saw Friend's... That's where I qouted him from in this thread.

ZA looks miserable in this role.

Really Clark?
10-05-2023, 10:29 AM
Our fans head would explode if we had Belichick giving weekly PC's

Homedawg
10-05-2023, 10:47 AM
Our fans head would explode if we had Belichick giving weekly PC's

Idk what they want him to say? Pc are a joke. If you say what they "want to hear" then the comment is, you can say it now back it up. Pc are just words.

BlackSailsDawg
10-05-2023, 10:50 AM
Idk what they want him to say? Pc are a joke. If you say what they "want to hear" then the comment is, you can say it now back it up. Pc are just words.

I want to hear him talk about candy corn!*****

Really Clark?
10-05-2023, 10:52 AM

I know it

Really Clark?
10-05-2023, 10:52 AM
I want to hear him talk about candy corn!*****

It's not Halloween week yet! How can you want our coach talking about candy corn that far in advance! He has to take it one week, one opponent and one sweet at a time!***

BlackSailsDawg
10-05-2023, 10:55 AM
It's not Halloween week yet! How can you want our coach talking about candy corn that far in advance! He has to take it one week, one opponent and one sweet at a time!***

LOL!

MaroonFlounder
10-05-2023, 12:05 PM
Zack Arnett is our Matt Luke.

Commercecomet24
10-05-2023, 12:14 PM

Do people really still pay that much attention to PCs? Just about every HC says exactly the same things win or lose. It's just noise and people looking for a word or phrase to jump on at this point(not just for CZA but all coaches and players for that matter).

Really Clark?
10-05-2023, 12:18 PM
Do people really still pay that much attention to PCs? Just about every HC says exactly the same things win or lose. It's just noise and people looking for a word or phrase to jump on at this point(not just for CZA but all coaches and players for that matter).

Yes, yes they do.

Best thing about Leach was his were entertaining and so off the wall that you had no were to go with a lot of stuff he said. He was a genius in that

Santiago
10-05-2023, 12:25 PM
Yes, yes they do.

Best thing about Leach was his were entertaining and so off the wall that you had no were to go with a lot of stuff he said. He was a genius in that

Miss that guy. He saw the needlessness of it, and had some fun at least with them.

BlackSailsDawg
10-05-2023, 12:27 PM
Yep

Commercecomet24
10-05-2023, 12:51 PM
Yes, yes they do.

100% about Leach. He was so intelligent and he didn't fall into the bs stupid questions that are asked by literally every reporter. He played them instead of them trying to play him. His answers, just like you said were so off the wall no one knew what to do with them and he could ramble on so long that most of the media was just ready to leave by the time he finished talking so he didn't have to face more stupid questions or give ammunition to detractors, GENIUS!

I love watching Belichiks PCs because reporters are almost scared to death to ask him anything and he just gives those gruff, monotone answers. He's the opposite end of the spectrum as Leach but the method is still effective at not having to answer endless stupid questions and give detractors something to jump on.

Commercecomet24
10-05-2023, 12:52 PM
Yes, yes they do.

I just can't watch PCs myself unless it's an entertaining guy like Leach or Belichik because all you here is the same old answers to the same old questions.

Commercecomet24
10-05-2023, 12:53 PM
Miss that guy. He saw the needlessness of it, and had some fun at least with them.

100% on this!