PDA

View Full Version : The Problems Are Very Simple

War Machine Dawg
10-02-2023, 05:35 PM
Peeps, no need for a long post this week. The problems are glaringly obvious:

1. Our DBs are very, very slow. C34 might've been right a couple of weeks ago when he said they might be SWAC bad. The 3 starting SEC QBs we've faced this year have combined for a total of 8 incomplete passes.

2. DL is beat up and struggles to generate pass rush.

3. OL is struggling, but they're not terrible.

4. QB is limiting us completely. Don't think I remember us having a QB that has so many passes batted down. Will is short, but Tyson Lee was shorter and I don't remember him having a bunch of batted passes. I think it's a combination of a low release point and Will being either unable or unwilling to move off his spot to create throwing lanes for himself. We've discussed his lack of arm strength ad nauseum, no need to rehash that particular issue.

Combine all of those and it's just impossible to beat any SEC team. I feel bad for Arnett. He sees the deficiencies, but most of them can't really be fixed until the portal opens and/or we recruit our way out of it. We should be going hard after DBs as soon as the portal is open. Ditto a QB. Until then, let's just roll with Wright and see what happens. It really can't be much worse and his mobility should at least allow him to make some big plays scrambling.

EdwardDrayton
10-02-2023, 05:43 PM

1. Our DBs are very, very slow. C34 might've been right a couple of weeks ago when he said they might be SWAC bad. The 3 starting SEC QBs we've faced this year have combined for a total of 8 incomplete passes.

4. QB is limiting us completely. Don't think I remember us having a QB that has so many passes batted down. Will is short, but Tyson Lee was shorter and I don't remember him having a bunch of batted passes. I think it's a combination of a low release point and Will being either unable or unwilling to move off his spot to create throwing lanes for himself. We've discussed his lack of arm strength ad nauseum, no need to rehash that particular issue.

Combine all of those and it's just impossible to beat any SEC team. I feel bad for Arnett. He sees the deficiencies, but most of them can't really be fixed until the portal opens and/or we recruit our way out of it. We should be going hard after DBs as soon as the portal is open. Ditto a QB. Until then, let's just roll with Wright and see what happens. It really can't be much worse and his mobility should at least allow him to make some big plays scrambling.

Not saying it's valid but the Bama and Auburn folks over here and think Arnett's in over his head.

KOdawg1
10-02-2023, 05:45 PM
Small, short, slow, weak arm, and scared aren't exactly qualities you want in your starting QB.

He ain't our only problem, but he's a big one.

DEDawg
10-02-2023, 06:20 PM
No correlation between height and batted passes. Bryce Young is 5?10 and doesn?t have the issue because he is mobile in the pocket and finds throwing lanes. Which is Wills biggest flaw. His arm is not ideal but it?s fine for college, his mobility is his #1 limiting factor.

Santiago
10-02-2023, 06:22 PM
Not saying it's valid but the Bama and Auburn folks over here and think Arnett's in over his head.

Bama fans must not be aware of the TDs we scored since 1997 ***

Homedawg
10-02-2023, 06:27 PM
No correlation between height and batted passes. Bryce Young is 5?10 and doesn?t have the issue because he is mobile in the pocket and finds throwing lanes. Which is Wills biggest flaw. His arm is not ideal but it?s fine for college, his mobility is his #1 limiting factor.

No correlation?? Or it isn't all height. ... there certainly is a correlation. But it's not all if it.

confucius say
10-02-2023, 06:28 PM
Will is a legit 6'2". He's plenty tall enough. He weighs enough too. He just can't move and has a weak arm.

Coach34
10-02-2023, 06:39 PM

Not saying it's valid but LSU fans are saying Brian Kelly is in over his head too

Santiago
10-02-2023, 06:42 PM
Not saying it's valid but LSU fans are saying Brian Kelly is in over his head too

That will be a fun thing to watch this season.

SPMT
10-02-2023, 06:48 PM
Will is a legit 6'2". He's plenty tall enough. He weighs enough too. He just can't move and has a weak arm.

No shit! He could Teabag Tua, Russell Wilson, and Bryce Young standing.

The coaches 17ed up by doing a wholesale offensive change and it?s Crystal clear.

I?m sure this O could work great in the future, however a completely green HC with no Saban, Meyer, et al pedigree plus a completely new O staff is a 50/50 shot. And we lost that gamble.

It?s really that simple.

Santiago
10-02-2023, 07:08 PM

The coaches 17ed up by doing a wholesale offensive change and it?s Crystal clear.

I?m sure this O could work great in the future, however a completely green HC with no Saban, Meyer, et al pedigree plus a completely new O staff is a 50/50 shot. And we lost that gamble.

It?s really that simple.

Amen....and I would like to know those involved with the changes other than Arnett, and kick them to the curb as well. It was clear when he let Mason Miller go, and hired an OL coach before an OC that he had people in his ear.
I seriously think Dr. Keenum could have picked someone off the offensive staff, and keep Arnett as DC and it would have been no worse than right now, if not more competitive.

RockyDog
10-02-2023, 07:28 PM

It?s really that simple.

Y?all Will apologists act like this issue wasn?t glaring last year. And no matter who calls the plays, it?s not Leach. It?s like some of y?all didn?t watch the bowl game. Will was atrocious.

Cooterpoot
10-02-2023, 07:32 PM

Arnett could change QBs, adjust the OL a little, and improve his recruiting because that defense is on empty in the talent tank. So I don't feel sorry for a guy getting rich and refusing to adjust.

TrapGame
10-02-2023, 07:38 PM
Arnett could change QBs, adjust the OL a little, and improve his recruiting because that defense is on empty in the talent tank. So I don't feel sorry for a guy getting rich and refusing to adjust.

Arnett has three years of recruiting for his defense. The tank shouldn't be this empty. The talent evaluation is severely lacking with this D staff.

dawgday166
10-02-2023, 07:49 PM
Arnett has three years of recruiting for his defense. The tank shouldn't be this empty. The talent evaluation is severely lacking with this D staff.

I'm looking at the depth chart and every starter but 2 was on last year's roster. All but 3 are Srs and Grads. Mostly Grads. Maybe we are banged up some on D but our D is giving up completion % that QBs working with WRs on their own (after practice) can't hardly achieve.

But, but ... our expectations are too high. We've only beaten LSU 3 times in 15 years (but in last 8 all very close games except 2019 LSU Natty team). FWIW ... we gained as many yards against Bama's 2020 Natty team in T-Town with a true freshman QB during the Covid year as we did against LSU this year.

Last year it was win 10 or AR sucks, Leach sucks, and will never succeed in SEC. This with UGA & Bama on our schedule. Sounds reasonable don't it?? ****

I'm betting that if this staff does make it past this year, I imagine anytime we think we might have a possible 10 win team every 4 or 5 years, we'll probably be reminded that our expectations are just too high and we are being unreasonable. Although I also think it will be a long time before we ever might think that again.

Leroy Jenkins
10-02-2023, 07:51 PM
Last week vs USCe Will was getting passes batted down "because he's too short". But, Rattler, who is an inch and a half shorter, isn't too short.

dawgday166
10-02-2023, 07:53 PM
Last week vs USCe Will was getting passes batted down "because he's too short". But, Rattler, who is an inch and a half shorter, isn't too short.

90%

BlackSailsDawg
10-02-2023, 08:08 PM

Deficiencies are his fault.

- On defense, he was over recruiting for it for the last 3 years.

- On offense, he made the decision to move totally away from what these vets have been in for 3 years. That's all on him.

BlackSailsDawg
10-02-2023, 08:12 PM

Yep friend that played OL at Bama was messaging me during the game. "WTH have ya'll done?" He immediately saw the DL and OL issues.

BlackSailsDawg
10-02-2023, 08:15 PM

And that was talked about too. Our OL are not engaging enough to keep them from jumping.

DEDawg
10-02-2023, 08:36 PM
No correlation?? Or it isn't all height. ... there certainly is a correlation. But it's not all if it.

Correct there is no correlation. MAYBE if you somehow run HS stats or low level CFB where you have athletes playing the position and not true QBs. But at the NFL level there is no correlation between height and batted balls. Baker is notorious for batted balls at 6?0?. So is Cam and Josh Allen at 6?6.

Drew and Tua have the lowest rate in the NFL at 5?11 and 6?0. What do those 2 do well? Throw with ANTICIPATION and timing. Will does not pull the trigger until his target is wide open, you dont see many throws come out of his hand while the receiver is still coming out of his break.

If there is any correlation it would be not coming off your reads fast enough and staring at your receiver too long giving the D a chance to get their hands up in the correct spot? sound like anyone we know?

Lord McBuckethead
10-02-2023, 09:52 PM

Well yeah. First time head coach with new OC and DC. It could have been easier if we kept our offensive side of the ball minus the play caller, but nope. Had to go with a new system from 2005.

SPMT
10-02-2023, 10:36 PM
Y?all Will apologists act like this issue wasn?t glaring last year. And no matter who calls the plays, it?s not Leach. It?s like some of y?all didn?t watch the bowl game. Will was atrocious.

Not a Will apologist. Put the back up in. Our season is toast, so maybe it works better. I?d be happy if it did. Currently the offense, defense, and staff do not appear to be on the upswing in any form. Ineptitude comes to mind. But he?s not short, not too small. He?s maybe not fast/quick enough or fast enough reacting, maybe his arm is weak.

Acting like he wasn?t successful running the previous offense is obtuse.

And yeah, I thought we should?ve had more of a runner at QB. And the offense was boring. Nevertheless Leach did what he always did?..win at shitty places.

DownwardDawg
10-02-2023, 10:38 PM

I said that the day they hired him. Talent makes up for a lot.

SPMT
10-02-2023, 10:45 PM

You?re in over your head. Never seen you take up for ineptitude like this.

If it is the qb?.

17ing change jt.

The coaches have that call, and you know they do. If they coach well and perform well, let?s give them all credit. But let?s not blame the players alone. This coaching staff looks like deer in the headlights and lost at the wheel.

confucius say
10-03-2023, 09:54 AM

For clarity, I'm not a will apologist. He can't move with a weak arm. My point was simply that 6'2" is plenty tall enough to be a great QB.

NCMSTFAN
10-03-2023, 11:40 AM

Very good point, this is his defense. He recruited(or helped recruit) alot of the defensive guys we have. Baffles me how bad our defense looks now.

Dawgface
10-03-2023, 11:44 AM
You?re in over your head. Never seen you take up for ineptitude like this.

I think he?s just trolling us at this point.

Maverick91
10-03-2023, 12:12 PM
Very good point, this is his defense. He recruited(or helped recruit) alot of the defensive guys we have. Baffles me how bad our defense looks now.

Honest question. Is there a chance which Leach hoarding WRs Arnett was not able to recruit the depth he needed or wanted? I do like the young talent we have on defense, it’s just young.

BlackSailsDawg
10-03-2023, 12:17 PM
I think he?s just trolling us at this point.

No he isn't. He's serious.

R2Dawg
10-03-2023, 12:21 PM
Honest question. Is there a chance which Leach hoarding WRs Arnett was not able to recruit the depth he needed or wanted? I do like the young talent we have on defense, it?s just young.

This is a major problem no one has talked about or wants to acknowledge. Leach wanted 25 WR and we got low on D talent, especially DL. Did anyone notice our D after Cumedy got hurt Saturday? We had 1 DL with hand in dirt. We put basically a large LB in in place of Crumedy. After a handful of injuries on DL, we are paper thin and embarrassing. This happened because of recruiting decisions the past 3 years. Big issue that will take a few years to correct.

BlackSailsDawg
10-03-2023, 12:31 PM
This is a major problem no one has talked about or wants to acknowledge. Leach wanted 25 WR and we got low on D talent, especially DL. Did anyone notice our D after Cumedy got hurt Saturday? We had 1 DL with hand in dirt. We put basically a large LB in in place of Crumedy. After a handful of injuries on DL, we are paper thin and embarrassing. This happened because of recruiting decisions the past 3 years. Big issue that will take a few years to correct.

Revisionist.

2019 Roster: 21 WRs/TEs. 9 DL. 10 DEs. 7 LBs
2022 Roster: 16 WRs 9 DL. 6 DEs. 13 LBs

MafiaDawg
10-03-2023, 12:48 PM

Feel bad for him? He was over the D the last few years and didn?t recruit good enough. He could have gone and gotten a portal qb. He made his bed now he gets to sleep in it, hopefully for a short time

Dawgface
10-03-2023, 04:54 PM
No he isn't. He's serious.

Hard to understand his thinking.

RezDog7
10-03-2023, 05:06 PM

It?s really that simple.

I love this misconception that our offense was good last year.

maroonmania
10-03-2023, 05:20 PM

Yep, and the Air Raid is the ONLY system that you can get away with having both of those flaws. Will stood in the pocket like a statue and dinked and dunked his way to some pretty massive passing stats under Leach. Any other system and we need a different QB.

Santiago
10-03-2023, 06:33 PM

The 3-3 defense might be more of your answer there.

Santiago
10-03-2023, 06:34 PM

with the same QB and OL, it was better than this year.
And we had Creed score 2 TDs in the first game.....a WR that came here for the air raid.

Jarius
10-03-2023, 07:03 PM

No. We had no tight end on the previous roster. We had a normal amount of defensive players. Arnett just sucked ass evaluating talent. It was his baby. He ruined it.

confucius say
10-03-2023, 07:04 PM

5th in the league in scoring.
8th in yards.
Way better than this year with the same guys.

confucius say
10-03-2023, 07:07 PM
Yep, and the Air Raid is the ONLY system that you can get away with having both of those flaws. Will stood in the pocket like a statue and dinked and dunked his way to some pretty massive passing stats under Leach. Any other system and we need a different QB.

Correct. I actually like Barbay scheme fine. It can work. But you have to change QB if you're going to do it. Will is a one trick pony.

Santiago
10-03-2023, 07:26 PM
5th in the league in scoring.
8th in yards.
Way better than this year with the same guys.

only at MSU would we make an instant 180 from something working, all because it is not what we used to do.

R2Dawg
10-03-2023, 07:33 PM
only at MSU would we make an instant 180 from something working, all because it is not what we used to do.

You mean like the O we had working before the AR? Mullen O that he had us rolling from year 1? I got news for you 8th in anything is average at best and that took 3 years. If it was that great, every team in America would be doing it and nobody is. BTW, Leach didn't invent throwing the football so don't give that stupid argument.

R2Dawg
10-03-2023, 07:34 PM
Correct. I actually like Barbay scheme fine. It can work. But you have to change QB if you're going to do it. Will is a one trick pony.

This is true. Change the QB play last Saturday and that game is a different game. Swap QB in LSU game and same thing. Our team can still be average even with the talent we got now but we got to change some things.

Santiago
10-03-2023, 07:38 PM
You mean like the O we had working before the AR? Mullen O that he had us rolling from year 1? I got news for you 8th in anything is average at best and that took 3 years. If it was that great, every team in America would be doing it and nobody is. BTW, Leach didn't invent throwing the football so don't give that stupid argument.

Leach had more top 25 upsets in the first three years than any coach before. So his trajectory once he got his QBs in there was going to only improve. I wanted to see it with Parson, Creed, Seth, Thomas, Burnside, Harrell.
You know all that, but saying it is stupid is too far man.

SPMT
10-03-2023, 08:55 PM
This is true. Change the QB play last Saturday and that game is a different game. Swap QB in LSU game and same thing. Our team can still be average even with the talent we got now but we got to change some things.

And if that’s true and the staff hasn’t, they prove their ineptitude. I don’t care who plays QB as a fan. Whatever they are doing isn’t working.

BlackSailsDawg
10-03-2023, 09:29 PM
And the OL coach says what we all see, save Gene34

We’ve got a lot to improve on. We’ve got to continue to get better, targeting the right people.