PDA

View Full Version : We have a rare card to play - the sympathy card

gtowndawg
10-02-2023, 01:46 PM
or get out of jail card, a mulligan, etc. Whatever you want to call it.

We can all agree CZA is lost and has no idea what to do. So, if that's the consensus why would we not play that card? Our beloved coach died after the season. We had no AD. Others looking for coaches were already well into the process while our tragedy occurred. Who's going to fault us for making a move after one season when it's obvious to everyone we're a mess?? I've asked this but I can't get a real answer. People get it, we got a bad break, and we didn't have much of a choice. I go to a large church with fans from just about every SEC school and they all agree we have the right to move on and do a real search should the season keep trending down. So if everyone else gets that, why don't we??

Can someone explain? I'm looking for an honest answer. Is it money (can't afford it)? It can't be to keep a recruiting class together because that's not great either. Are there rumors about us loading up in the portal if CZA stays? I've not heard of anything. Again, I don't know but if there's ever been a case, and I mean EVER, for looking for a new coach after one season I think we have the case study in hand right now.

Santiago
10-02-2023, 01:54 PM
No offense Gtowndog, but that post would totally have pissed off Coach Leach. His comments were always "no excuses".
It just seems to be a backstabbing attitude toward his mindset in football.
edit :I misread what you are getting at. We definitely should move on after this season. So in line with that, it would be the same thing Coach Leach says....no excuses. My only wish is to clean house of those that were in his ear telling him to make a 180 wholesale change this season, and get rid of the buddy hires. Clean house of any administration that convinced Arnett likewise.

confucius say
10-02-2023, 02:15 PM
We absolutely could move on. Nobody would give us a hard time about it if that's what we elect to do.

TrapGame
10-02-2023, 02:26 PM
We absolutely could move on. Nobody would give us a hard time about it if that's what we elect to do.

I'd bet a $100 to the BI if we do go 4-8 other coaches will be reaching out to us to inquire if the job will be opening. They know the situation.

drummerdawg
10-02-2023, 02:41 PM
Who cares what anyone else thinks? Start making decisions based on what will win games. OM hired a wife beating basketball coach because he wins basketball games. Nothing else matters.

TrapGame
10-02-2023, 02:44 PM
Who cares what anyone else thinks? Start making decisions based on what will win games. OM hired a wife beating basketball coach because he wins basketball games. Nothing else matters.

And that's why Selmon should have already reached out to Petrino. He will be going somewhere else after this season. He's not going to stick around just to make Jimbo look good.

StarkVegasSteve
10-02-2023, 02:51 PM
And that's why Selmon should have already reached out to Petrino. He will be going somewhere else after this season. He's not going to stick around just to make Jimbo look good.

I think you have to at least call Shane Beamer. I know it would be damn near impossible to pull him, but say USCe goes 7-5. With all the hype they had I wonder if he would not be under enough pressure and that seat getting just hot enough to listen. Because if you get him on campus for a visit I think it is over. He and Selmon are good friends, his wife is from Starkville, her parents still live here, and outside of coaching under Spurrier at USCe he really does not have anything tying him down to there.

TrapGame
10-02-2023, 03:14 PM
I think you have to at least call Shane Beamer. I know it would be damn near impossible to pull him, but say USCe goes 7-5. With all the hype they had I wonder if he would not be under enough pressure and that seat getting just hot enough to listen. Because if you get him on campus for a visit I think it is over. He and Selmon are good friends, his wife is from Starkville, her parents still live here, and outside of coaching under Spurrier at USCe he really does not have anything tying him down to there.

I would be a little shocked if Beamer and Selmon haven't already thrown around the hypothetical. I'm sure Selmon has asked his opinion on what he thought about Arnett. And let's face it, Beamer's wife is a State girl. His in laws live in Starkville. Selmon is one of his best friends. Shane Beamer replacing Zach Arnett is not that far fetched. We could do a lot worse.

Dawgology
10-02-2023, 03:14 PM
Whatever coach we go after this off-season I want a person with D-1 head coach experience with a proven track record and yes we can pull someone like that. We were ready to give Mullen almost 7 mil to stay. We can do it. Just go do it and let’s get this thing fixed and stop screwing around.

Cooterpoot
10-02-2023, 03:31 PM

Petrino is washed up and past his prime. That's a terrible hire.

TrapGame
10-02-2023, 03:41 PM

He's saving Jimbo's ass right now. And Petrino is better than what we have now. I'd prefer others but I wouldn't be pissed off if we hired him.

RockyDog
10-02-2023, 03:43 PM

If you paired him up with Hall and Wallace, a Bobby Trifecta could be lethal at MSU!!!!!

CaptainObvious
10-02-2023, 03:44 PM
I would be a little shocked if Beamer and Selmon haven't already thrown around the hypothetical. I'm sure Selmon has asked his opinion on what he thought about Arnett. And let's face it, Beamer's wife is a State girl. His in laws live in Starkville. Selmon is one of his best friends. Shane Beamer replacing Zach Arnett is not that far fetched. We could do a lot worse.

Shane Beamer can pay off his in-laws house and buy them one in Myrtle Beach cash. Why would you think they would want to move to Starkville and from Columbia South Carolina where he can recruit southwest Georgia, all of South Carolina and North Carolina where they have 10 times the 4 and 5 * players Mississippi does and wouldn?t have to rely on Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU and Auburn rejects to field a team.

TrapGame
10-02-2023, 03:50 PM
Shane Beamer can pay off his in-laws house and buy them one in Myrtle Beach cash. Why would you think they would want to move to Starkville and from Columbia South Carolina where he can recruit southwest Georgia, all of South Carolina and North Carolina where they have 10 times the 4 and 5 * players Mississippi does and wouldn?t have to rely on Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU and Auburn rejects to field a team.

I don't know, Bruh. It's just a hypothetical. If we have a bonafide actual coaching search a lot of people are going through the rumor mill.

Of course when you put it like that why would ANY coach leave to come to Mississippi State to coach football. We must be the redheaded step child of the SEC.

We better hope Jans and Purcell stay for a while b/c that's all we are going to have in sports until further notice.

StarkVegasSteve
10-02-2023, 03:54 PM

Because he can recruit those same players here. Hell half his team is transfers and guys from our recruiting footprint anyways. Again, it is just a hypothetical because I doubt we have the money to buy our current staff out after 1 year and pay their staffs buyout AND new contracts. I know Leo Seal left us 9 figures for exactly that but I do not know how much of that has already been used.

DesotoDog1967
10-02-2023, 03:58 PM
Kliff Kingsbury?

Really Clark?
10-02-2023, 04:03 PM
Whatever coach we go after this off-season I want a person with D-1 head coach experience with a proven track record and yes we can pull someone like that. We were ready to give Mullen almost 7 mil to stay. We can do it. Just go do it and let’s get this thing fixed and stop screwing around.

Kliff Kingsbury?

Why? Do you think 3rd times the charm?

TrapGame
10-02-2023, 04:05 PM
Kliff Kingsbury?

I think he's good with that NFL money. I know he wasn't really tearing it up at Texas Tech but I think he had a horrible defense too.

HancockCountyDog
10-02-2023, 04:06 PM
Whatever we do, we have to take the same approach we did with Mullen and Kentucky has with Mark Stoops.

We are a developmental program. We have to trust the process and recruit HS kids, develop them, and be physical. That is what we did under Mullen, Sherrill and Kentucky has done under Stoops.

I'm not sure how that works in the NIL and transfer portal era, but that is how we win.

Throw in the fact that we need a mobile QB as well so that we have a numbers advantage on offense would also be extremely helpful.

Cooterpoot
10-02-2023, 04:09 PM
Whatever we do, we have to take the same approach we did with Mullen and Kentucky has with Mark Stoops.

We are a developmental program. We have to trust the process and recruit HS kids, develop them, and be physical. That is what we did under Mullen, Sherrill and Kentucky has done under Stoops.

I'm not sure how that works in the NIL and transfer portal era, but that is how we win.

Throw in the fact that we need a mobile QB as well so that we have a numbers advantage on offense would also be extremely helpful.

Dude, KY has been killing the portal. Wouldn't have a QB last two seasons without it. Any team not utilizing the portal is falling behind. Not enough numbers in MS talent and more and more are wanting out of MS. It's a balancing act.

defiantdog
10-02-2023, 04:13 PM

Kentucky isn't a good comparison. They beefed up their OLine, got a damn good transfer RB from Vandy, and a good WR through the portal.

TrapGame
10-02-2023, 04:16 PM
There are several teams that out portal us by a mile. We suck at evaluating portal talent.

StarkVegasSteve
10-02-2023, 04:17 PM
Kliff Kingsbury?

He would have to commit to a top of the line DC and recruiting defensive talent. We would somehow have to convince him to live in Starkville, MS after living in Scotsdale, AZ and LA for the last 5 years.

Cooterpoot
10-02-2023, 04:20 PM
There are several teams that out portal us by a mile. We suck at evaluating portal talent.

Must retain our older players~~~~

gtowndawg
10-02-2023, 05:35 PM
I'd bet a $100 to the BI if we do go 4-8 other coaches will be reaching out to us to inquire if the job will be opening. They know the situation.

I tend to agree with this line of thinking. It's a great job for 80 to 85% of the coaching world.

gtowndawg
10-02-2023, 05:37 PM

I agree. But when it comes up some people tend to think it will look bad if we fire CZA after one year. But who are these people that will think that way? I've not spoken to anyone that thinks that. Is Keenum afraid his college president's buddies will look down on him? I just can't understand the argument.

Cooterpoot
10-02-2023, 05:49 PM
Arnett will be rich even if he gets fired. Nothing to be ashamed about. It's ok to fire people that aren't good at their jobs.
I hope he hits a big win streak and we don't have to worry about it, but it's ok to cut him loose if he doesn't win more than 4 or 5 games too.

Santiago
10-02-2023, 06:26 PM
Arnett will be rich even if he gets fired. Nothing to be ashamed about. It's ok to fire people that aren't good at their jobs.
I hope he hits a big win streak and we don't have to worry about it, but it's ok to cut him loose if he doesn't win more than 4 or 5 games too.

yep, using the 25 rule, where you multiply 25* your annual needs to live with comfort, and Arnett is financially independent with a buyout.