PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Lt. Rogers- "You aint got no legs Edition"

Coach34
10-01-2023, 11:45 AM
1. Ahhhhhh another Saturday of college football with still balmy hot weather. Got some of my homestyle burgers on the grill with boudin as an appetizer. Bacon. Just a good day to eat and enjoy life. Hope you guys enjoyed yourselves as well from a culinary standpoint.

2. How about that offense huh? 17 points. The 2nd most scored on Bama this season and the 2nd most on them since 2014. Tied for the 3rd most points vs Bama in the last 22 seasons. We were able to run the ball somewhat effectively at times with our 3 TB's going 20/123- 6 ypc. Add Wright to the mix and its 23/142. That's the kind of production needed for a good offense. Gameplan was pretty good and we got after Bama. Barbay's 17 points last night vs Bama tops Leach's 3 year total of 15 points combined. I see people talking about how this Bama team isnt what they normally are- well Lame Kitten only scored 10 last week on it. Ya'll want to fire him too? Is he over his head?

3. 2 just isnt the answer and wont be. We arent facing the drop 8 anymore and last night finally showed me what his biggest problem is. When the pocket compresses even a little- he cant see anymore. His height or whatever it is gets to where he cant see anymore and he panics. Everybody under the sun knows he cant extend a play with his legs- as does he- and so he goes into panic mode bouncing around on lineman and such waiting to be brought down. This is why a 4th year QB looks so bad at times. He's getting more pressure than ever and doesnt have the legs to avoid it like seemingly every other SEC team has. Hell, Auburn's guy that transferred from Mich St had a 50 yard run vs Georgia. 2 had the best run of his career last night with the wide open QB draw for 15 yards. Rogers is last in the SEC in rushing by QB's with minus 41 yards on 22 carries.

4. Word around the campfire is that Parson is nowhere near being ready to play QB in college. So those calls for him will continue to fall on deaf ears. It's not happening. Ya'lls boy Sawyer Robertson and his below 50% completion percentage got replaced yesterday and after that Baylor scored 26 4th Q points to comeback and beat The GusBus. It's time to get Wright some series during a game- not just random plays.

5. No luck for us starting the game last night. We sack Milroe (one of four for us) and then the punter wedges one on us thats sticks inside the 1. Of course no PI call on Bama the 1st play. But I will say the throw was too underthrown by 2. If he was trying to backshoulder it was still 2 yards too short. Needed that and didnt get it. Then we punt and Bama muffs it but we dont get control of it. Bama then fumbles the snap and the ball is all over the ground and we again fail to cover it. 2 chances at getting a turnover and flipping field position and we dont make it happen. So you just knew what was coming. Milroe scramble with everybody covered for a TD and then a trash throw by 2 for a Pick 6. What a terrible decision. It's covered- throw the damn ball into the ground and let's punt. But noooooooooooo- let's make it 14-0.

6. Quality drives on 3 and 4 resulting in 10 points and only trailing 17-10. Still in the game. So what happens? Bama drives it for the score and then 2 decides to throw another pick before half. It was behind the WR and just trash. I give Barbay a little blame here also. Run the ball and go to half right there. That's Bama's D- not UPig or Mississippi. Get to half and let's get a plan for the 2nd half KO. But it was just a trash throw turnover.

7. OL needs to improve more of course but acting like they are terrible is a little overboard. We are 10th in sacks allowed while being the only SEC team with a statue at QB. Auburn, UPig, Bama, and SC are worse in Pass Pro than us. And this offense is sooooooo much more enjoyable to watch than the last 3 years. I'm sorry- I just dont miss the constant dump off passes to the RB in the Airbone. We average 28 PPG right now and Western Michigan and their 125th in Scoring D team comes in Saturday- We should get back above 30.

8. Injuries hurting on D-line. They played hard but it is what it is. We had 4 sacks and 7 TFL's but just not consistent. It's not the scheme or the DC. Injuries on the DL and poor recruiting in the Secondary is why this defense is not very good. They could run a 4-2-5, a 4-3, or a 3-4 and guess what? They would still be shitty. The way we blitz with a LB on most plays basically is us playing a 4 man front. We are just doing it with a player that doesnt have his hand on the ground.

9. We should bounce back and roll Saturday. Get some feel goods and a bump in attitude. Then we get an offweek to get ready for UPig. UPig has a ridiculous schedule and has lost 3 in a row- giving up 30 plus points each game (BYU, LSU, A&M). They play Mississippi and Bama then us. That's a helluva run. We have a a real shot to win the next 2 to grab that Mo headed to Auburn. Big couple of weeks for this team and a chance to get better. Excited to see what happens.

10. We all hate losing but this team can be 4-3 headed to Auburn at the end of this month. As it typically is- October is a big month for State football. The bi-week is perfect timing for this team coming off a win against a bad OOC to get us to 3-3. Auburn is 0-2 in the SEC also with games vs LSU and Mississippi coming at them. Our offenses have been very comparable so far. Wins over UPig and Auburn would be huge heading into November.

HailState

BlackSailsDawg
10-01-2023, 11:54 AM
Again, nobody is buying your Bama hype. This is the worst bama team since Saban's first year.

Second:

3rd & 11 at MSST 24
(2:37 - 1st) Will Rogers run for 12 yds to the MSST 36 for a 1ST down

2nd & 11 at ALA 39
(12:33 - 3rd) Will Rogers run for 15 yds to the ALA 24 for a 1ST down

That's not the issue. The issue is the same as it has been. We are forcing a square peg in a round hole. We are trying to do what we are not tooled to do and the staff needs to be let go at the end of the season.

We are going to be in a complete rebuild. So, start from the top down.

CaptainObvious
10-01-2023, 11:55 AM
Everything you just said about Rogers was said in 1973 about Ole Miss QB Norris Weese. We State students had a name for Weese:
<Spastic From the Waste Down>

I understand that is politically incorrect to call someone that now. But

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-01-2023, 11:57 AM
2. How about that offense huh? 17 points. The 2nd most scored on Bama this season and the 2nd most on them since 2014. Tied for the 3rd most points vs Bama in the last 22 seasons. We were able to run the ball somewhat effectively at times with our 3 TB's going 20/123- 6 ypc. Add Wright to the mix and its 23/142. That's the kind of production needed for a good offense. Gameplan was pretty good and we got after Bama. Barbay's 17 points last night vs Bama tops Leach's 3 year total of 15 points combined. I see people talking about how this Bama team isnt what they normally are- well Lame Kitten only scored 10 last week on it. Ya'll want to fire him too? Is he over his head?

HailState

Gene34.

Congrats on your hamburger.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 12:00 PM
Again, nobody is buying your Bama hype. This is the worst bama team since Saban's first year.

Second:

3rd & 11 at MSST 24
(2:37 - 1st) Will Rogers run for 12 yds to the MSST 36 for a 1ST down

2nd & 11 at ALA 39
(12:33 - 3rd) Will Rogers run for 15 yds to the ALA 24 for a 1ST down

That's not the issue. The issue is the same as it has been. We are forcing a square peg in a round hole. We are trying to do what we are not tooled to do and the staff needs to be let go at the end of the season.

We are going to be in a complete rebuild. So, start from the top down.

Not defensively they are not. Their offense is not good but they are just as good defensively, as of today, as they have been the last few years. (Avg 14.2 per game this season, 18.2 per game last year). Second in the league.

Coach34
10-01-2023, 12:04 PM

Bama is 17th in the country in Scoring D and allow less than 300 yards per game. They are still very good

BlackSailsDawg
10-01-2023, 12:08 PM
Not defensively they are not. Their offense is not good but they are just as good defensively, as of today, as they have been the last few years. (Avg 14.2 per game this season, 18.2 per game last year). Second in the league.

2022:

Rushing defense ranked 35th
Passing Defense 6th (in efficiency)
Scoring Defense 9th.

2023:

Rushing D... 36th

Passing D.. 21st

Scoring D... 17th

BlackSailsDawg
10-01-2023, 12:10 PM
Bama is 17th in the country in Scoring D and allow less than 300 yards per game. They are still very good

Down from what they were last year. 2 times worse.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 12:15 PM
2022:

Scoring Defense 9th.

2023:

Rushing D... 36th

Passing D.. 21st

Scoring D... 17th

17th this year so far but averaging 14.2 points per game vs 9th last year averaging 18.2 points per game...which one is actually doing better? The one allowing less points is the only and correct answer. We will see were they finish at the end of the year.

basedog
10-01-2023, 12:26 PM
34, IF Arnett doesn't adjust and make changes, he want be at StarkVegas long. No reason whatsoever not playing another QB in the 4th quarter. That is just plain dumb. As far as Parson, to early to really know, most freshman aren't ready for D1 football. But time will tell.
Brock ain't the answer, neither is Friend. What the heck is Peterson and Cambell(?) so close on sideline to Arnett, kinda weird.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 12:31 PM
34, IF Arnett doesn't adjust and make changes, he want be at StarkVegas long. No reason whatsoever not playing another QB in the 4th quarter. That is just plain dumb. As far as Parson, to early to really know, most freshman aren't ready for D1 football. But time will tell.
Brock ain't the answer, neither is Friend. What the heck is Peterson and Cambell(?) so close on sideline to Arnett, kinda weird.

Parson is also still not physically ready for game play.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 12:32 PM
Down from what they were last year. 2 times worse.

Check back on that in December.

Bama defense is not elite, but they are good. Beat defense we've faced.

chef dixon
10-01-2023, 12:32 PM
On point #3, you're just now seeing that? You're being kind.

Our o line has to literally be perfect every play for him to perform

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 12:36 PM
Nm

confucius say
10-01-2023, 12:37 PM
The real question with respect to QB play is why do we refuse to give Wright a half to see what he can do? Or At least a series? Even when the game is out of reach last night, get him some reps in case will gets hurt. I think the reason is because they are worried Wright will play well and then they have a decision to make.

That nobody has asked arnett this specific question is mind blowing.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 12:38 PM
Check back on that in December.

Bama defense is not elite, but they are good. Beat defense we've faced.

Won't argue this and saw some positives last night. But also playing with 3 and 4 year starters on offense as Sr & Grads at our place last night against a very young Bama team. They've played Bama at least 3 times now. We should score more points.

ETA: And Bama was missing their starting LB who is the signal caller on their D last night. Missing him most likely helped our rushing totals last night. It certainly didn't hurt those totals.

parabrave
10-01-2023, 12:51 PM
Concerning #3. two plays stand out to me which are indicative of "Happy Feet" and I can't see over the big boys. On a play in the 3 Will drops back we have a receiver streaking down the sidelines no one near Will and he heaves it way before the receiver breaks free and the ball lands 10 yards in front of him/ On another in the 4 where he got sacked he had 2 receivers wide open downfield and apparently he doesn't see them. And Pittman made a great catch on that TD.

EdwardDrayton
10-01-2023, 01:13 PM
I mean how can you not just love that thread title!!

was21
10-01-2023, 01:19 PM
Peterson and maybe Campbell as well passing on direction from the cigar boys probably.

MetEdDawg
10-01-2023, 01:21 PM
I disagree on the decision to try and push the ball down the field at the end of the half. Just over a minute with 2 timeouts left. You try and push the ball. Will just made a horrible decision.

What makes me made is Arnett second guessing the decision post game. Say that's what we are going to do and we have to have the mentality that we are going to score. Don't back off it.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 01:25 PM
I disagree on the decision to try and push the ball down the field at the end of the half. Just over a minute with 2 timeouts left. You try and push the ball. Will just made a horrible decision.

What makes me made is Arnett second guessing the decision post game. Say that's what we are going to do and we have to have the mentality that we are going to score. Don't back off it.

Yep. With that much time and 2 timeouts down 14, you absolutely have to try to get points.

Yep. Don't cover for will or anybody else. Just be honest.

CaptainObvious
10-01-2023, 01:37 PM
I know everyone here hates the example up north, but dem facks is facks!

All they needed to do was get in field goal range to take the lead late in 4th, but what does Lane do? He says, they haven?t stopped us all day. We ain?t settling for a FG. We are pressing for a TD. And the TD gave them a 4 point lead, making a FG by LSU null and void. But nope, a 5 point lead is not good enough. So let?s get 2 and make it a 6 pt. lead. Why does that make a difference? Because now, if LSU were to score a TD. You can at least go all out to block the XP, keeping it tied for possible overtime. Like analytics or hate them, their Coach is thinking multiple plays ahead. He has the IF/THEN part of Coaching down pat!

Percho
10-01-2023, 01:46 PM
17th this year so far but averaging 14.2 points per game vs 9th last year averaging 18.2 points per game...which one is actually doing better? The one allowing less points is the only and correct answer. We will see were they finish at the end of the year.

Probably in Atlanta

Dawgology
10-01-2023, 01:48 PM
I would like to see Wright at least a full half next week. There no reason to put Will out there the whole game and he doesn?t need the reps. If alright struggles against this OOC then it would at least pull the pressure off the coaches because fans would see we just don?t have talent at QB right now. On the other hand if he rolls maybe they would gain some confidence and just let him play.

Right now scheming defense against Rogers has to be the easiest thing ever.

msstate7
10-01-2023, 01:49 PM
2022:

Scoring Defense 9th.

2023:

Rushing D... 36th

Passing D.. 21st

Scoring D... 17th

Why would you use rankings rather than numbers?

Total def:
2022: 318.2
2023: 297.0

Scoring def:
2022: 18.2
2023: 14.2

BlackSailsDawg
10-01-2023, 01:55 PM
I would like to see Wright at least a full half next week. There no reason to put Will out there the whole game and he doesn?t need the reps. If alright struggles against this OOC then it would at least pull the pressure off the coaches because fans would see we just don?t have talent at QB right now. On the other hand if he rolls maybe they would gain some confidence and just let him play.

Right now scheming defense against Rogers has to be the easiest thing ever.

Wright will not make a difference. When the OL doesn't grasp their blocking and you don't have the TEs You don't keep doing it over and over. Wright was met behind the LOS and dropped several times behind this OL.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 02:11 PM

Total def:

Scoring def:

You know why

Cowbell
10-01-2023, 02:13 PM
Wright will not make a difference. When the OL doesn't grasp their blocking and you don't have the TEs You don't keep doing it over and over. Wright was met behind the LOS and dropped several times behind this OL.

Because they know it's a run play when he is in

CaptainObvious
10-01-2023, 02:22 PM
Wright is not the answer behind an awful O-line.

Refer to Commodores, Vanderbilt.

In fact if State played Vandy in Nashville, Vandy would probably be favored.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 02:33 PM

But he also adds a dimension we don't currently have. That is inarguable.

We need to see how well he can pass in an actual game to know if the trade off is worth it. I personally believe the coaches are worried he will play well and then they will have a QB controversy they don't want to have.

msstate7
10-01-2023, 02:35 PM
But he also adds a dimension we don't currently have. That is inarguable.

We need to see how well he can pass in an actual game to know if the trade off is worth it. I personally believe the coaches are worried he will play well and then they will have a QB controversy they don't have want.

If our coaches are worried that we might have some success, damn...

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 02:36 PM

Total def:

Scoring def:

Relative strength. Each year is different. Offenses are stronger or weaker year to year. This time of year both mean very little actually.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 02:38 PM
If our coaches are worried that we might have some success, damn...

I've seen it before..... just saying

Maybe our media will actually ask the question so we can get a different explanation of why we don't see wright for a series or half.

msstate7
10-01-2023, 02:39 PM
Relative strength. Each year is different. Offenses are stronger or weaker year to year. This time of year both mean very little actually.

Rankings on a complete season vs rankings before halfway aren't equal imo

EdwardDrayton
10-01-2023, 02:40 PM
Yep. With that much time and 2 timeouts down 14, you absolutely have to try to get points.

Yep. Don't cover for will or anybody else. Just be honest.

It's a possession. Just because it's the one before the half makes it no different. Run the offense. But as the veteran QB, understand the situation. It's 24-10; score one and we're one score down. And we get the ball to start the 2nd half. But under no circumstance do you turn it over to allow 31-10. Just an atrocious decision by an experienced QB.

EdwardDrayton
10-01-2023, 02:41 PM

Prove it. Leave him in for a half.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 02:46 PM
Prove it. Leave him in for a half.

Correct. We are giving guys at opportunities at other positions. Stop babying will. He's a big boy. He can take it.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 02:48 PM

I said that. Same with numbers.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 03:07 PM

I'm gonna add something else. Y'all trying to make the argument Bama is some kinda stout D. We could also argue that we really suck since Kiffen put up over 700 yds against an LSU team that we only had 200 against. And that is about 200 more over your statement that it is awfully hard to put up 500 yds in SEC play. LSU is now ranked dead last in SEC in D.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 03:13 PM
I'm gonna add something else. Y'all trying to make the argument Bama is some kinda stout D. We could also argue that we really suck since Kiffen put up over 700 yds against an LSU team that we only had 200 against. And that is about 200 more over your statement that it is awfully hard to put up 500 yds in SEC play. LSU is now ranked dead last in SEC in D.

I get you but conversely that same UM team put up 10 points last week against Bama and we ran for 100 more yards than they did. We do suck on offense, especially against LSU (horrid throwing that game as well) doesn't mean we haven't improved some.

RockyDog
10-01-2023, 03:15 PM

Total def:

Scoring def:

Anything to hold Will blameless and out ALL of it on Barbary. Noodle Stonefeet can do no wrong in some of these clowns’s minds.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 03:41 PM
I get you but conversely that same UM team put up 10 points last week against Bama and we ran for 100 more yards than they did. We do suck on offense, especially against LSU (horrid throwing that game as well) doesn't mean we haven't improved some.

And Bama was missing their best LB and defensive play caller last night. Now you gonna say we have a better offense than Kiffen LOL.

I think we have improved on offense and willing to see what happens the rest of the year. I said last year and now this year it's more the QB than the scheme.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 04:29 PM
And Bama was missing their best LB and defensive play caller last night. Now you gonna say we have a better offense than Kiffen LOL.

I think we have improved on offense and willing to see what happens the rest of the year. I said last year and now this year it's more the QB than the scheme.

Good lord, I'm not saying we have a better offense than Kiffin. Lol

Jarius
10-01-2023, 04:30 PM
Wright is not the answer behind an awful O-line.

Refer to Commodores, Vanderbilt.

In fact if State played Vandy in Nashville, Vandy would probably be favored.

The offensive line was not the problem last night. Our god awful quarterback that Arnett refuses to bench was 100 % the problem last night. Not 90 %. Not 99%. Will Rogers was 100 % the problem on offense last night. Period. End of discussion. He is awful.

RockyDog
10-01-2023, 04:37 PM
The offensive line was not the problem last night. Our god awful quarterback that Arnett refuses to bench was 100 % the problem last night. Not 90 %. Not 99%. Will Rogers was 100 % the problem on offense last night. Period. End of discussion. He is awful.

Truth

defiantdog
10-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Will threw 3 horrible INTs yesterday. He threw the ball in the dirt on some open receivers again. Why not try Wright? Would he do any worse? So what if he does, what we are doing now isn't even competitive.

Cooterpoot
10-01-2023, 04:46 PM
All the offense arguing can continue and it doesn't matter when (A) Will is still out there (B) The defense is trash
The goal is to win games and we're not doing it

ScottH
10-01-2023, 04:46 PM
LSU is now ranked dead last in SEC in D.

And that's having played us. Ouch.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 04:54 PM
And that's having played us. Ouch.

Add our 200 to Kiffen's 700+ and you're getting close to 500 yds/game. Where is State7 when I need some analysis done on that? ******* We need some analytics to figure this puzzle out LOL.

Dawgface
10-01-2023, 04:56 PM
I quit reading after #1. You're an idiot.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 05:04 PM
I quit reading after #1. You're an idiot.

You hate burgers or something?!? Sacrilege!!***

Santiago
10-01-2023, 06:05 PM
I felt like this propaganda brochure by the OP, also had a Forward written by Brad Peterson.

gtowndawg
10-01-2023, 06:08 PM
Gene34.

Congrats on your hamburger.

I lol'd

BlackSailsDawg
10-01-2023, 06:11 PM

Film shows that to be not true. The OL is a problem.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 06:42 PM

Yea. Both of them are problems. And they don't compliment each other at all.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 06:44 PM

We cut down missed assignments last night on the OL. Still work to do but it was better.

Jarius
10-01-2023, 06:58 PM

Will Rogers sucks

coachnorm
10-01-2023, 07:41 PM
Yea. Both of them are problems. And they don't compliment each other at all.

I would like to share something that I experienced during a football game while I was an assistant coach at Southwestern JUCO. This was a post season game, in 2019, between Southwestern and Long Beach Community College. One of the consistent variables was neither offensive tackle, from either side, could block the edge pass rushers across from them. Both quarterbacks had the same pass rush problem. Both play callers had the same pass rush problems also. Both offensive lines had a miserable game, they needed help from someone?

Long Beach ended winning the game because they answered the pass rush issue better than Southwestern. The Long Beach quarterback took more horrific hits than the Southwester quarterback did so this makes something a skewed. The Long Beach quarterback would throw desperation passes into tight coverage and the receivers became warriors and won the ball. The Long Beach quarterback understood the situation and focused on throwing contested catches as best he could. The Long Beach receivers received horrific hits but committed to win the ball. Just for the readers reference, the Southwestern quarterback was a lot better than the Long Beach quarterback. Both quarterbacks could run also.

The Southwestern play caller got caught up in his own mind and tried to outsmart a horrific pass rush schematically. Sadly, for Southwestern, receiver separation was a non-starter due to lack of time. Receiver separation was a non-starter for Long Beach also. The Long Beach quarterback willfully attempted difficult passes unlike scheme orientated Southwestern. Both play callers are getting the vise tightened upon them as the game progressed and what is the answer? More struggles because no one scored in the second half. In this 20-16 game, turnovers set up touchdowns for each team. This could have been a 13-10 game.

For the loosing Southwestern side, the quarterback got tired of the plays called, later in the game, and disregarded the play caller. The quarterback understood the scheme shortcomings and took the issue in his own hands out of frustration. He told the receivers, at times, to just get up the sideline and he was just going to launch before he gets hit again. The quarterback said nothing of the sorts about bracing himself and taking a sac. He said something of the sorts that maybe they might have as much courage as the Long Beach receivers did. After the game, the quarterback went home to Texas and finished his classes on line.

Coach34
10-01-2023, 07:52 PM
You hate burgers or something?!? Sacrilege!!***

Who hates homemade burgers???? Anddddd boudin????? Thats just crazy

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 07:59 PM
Who hates homemade burgers???? Anddddd boudin????? Thats just crazy

I don't know about some of these posters...crazy man

William Tecumsah Sherman
10-02-2023, 07:32 AM
Through halftime of the game, opposing QBs had a 90% completion rate over 10 quarters.