PDA

View Full Version : Arnett is a problem and most knew that when we hired him

Bark
10-01-2023, 11:08 AM
BUT let's discuss the real and more serious problem....Keenum. We desperately need new leadership at the top. Logistically how does this happen? Who makes this decision? How can we push this?

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 11:14 AM
It won't happen because him staying president is not tied to the football coach. Many like him running the university from the academic and financial side.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 11:15 AM
You want to get rid of the most influential college president in college football?

Arnett needs a PR 101 crash course fast. Aside from on field issues, Two f bombs in postgame in a 3 week period is a bad look. As is his bumbling press conference response. Looks lost

Leroy Jenkins
10-01-2023, 11:20 AM
Fire the president of the university because the football team sucks? Hell yeah, that's like firing the US president because the US soccer team sucks. Who knew that's all we had to do to get rid of him?

BlackSailsDawg
10-01-2023, 11:21 AM
You want to get rid of the most influential college president in college football?

Arnett needs a PR 101 crash course fast. Aside from on field issues, Two f bombs in postgame in a 3 week period is a bad look. As is his bumbling press conference response. Looks lost

The videos of him on the sideline is very telling. He's talking to himself.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 11:34 AM
I like CZA but last night's press conference was painful to watch. He desperately needs to win Sat to be 3-3 for the bye week, which we should.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 11:35 AM
The videos of him on the sideline is very telling. He's talking to himself.

I think he's uncomfortable.
I think he's second guessing himself.
I think he's unsure of himself.

Drop your balls and be a leader. Enough with the fake and transparent "I messed up and have to coach better" response every week. Just tell the truth. Take accountability for coaching issues but also place blame where it needs to be.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 11:38 AM
I like CZA but last night's press conference was painful to watch. He desperately needs to win Sat to be 3-3 for the bye week, which we should.

He'd be a lot better off just saying what we all see.
We have alot of injuries on the DL.
Coaches have to coach better yes, but players have to play better. Saying he should have just taken a knee on the last drive of the half because we turned it over is stupid. We did right. You have to try to score there. Just say we can't throw it right to the other team there and Will has to play better.

Bark
10-01-2023, 11:40 AM
Fire the president of the university because the football team sucks? Hell yeah, that's like firing the US president because the US soccer team sucks. Who knew that's all we had to do to get rid of him?

No fire the president bc the university as a whole sucks. We need new blood. We've fallen under his leadership in just about every category.

Bothrops
10-01-2023, 11:40 AM
We must fire ourselves before we can fire others. It's the only way.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 11:46 AM
He'd be a lot better off just saying what we all see.
We have alot of injuries on the DL.
Coaches have to coach better yes, but players have to play better. Saying he should have just taken a knee on the last drive of the half because we turned it over is stupid. We did right. You have to try to score there. Just say we can't throw it right to the other team there and Will has to play better.

I agree, there is falling on your sword for the betterment of the team but sometimes you have to be public about the players not performing. Saban didn't mince words last night, it's not about shifting blame and throwing the players under the bus all the time, but sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade. And I agree with them trying to get points before the half, we had time to try and get points. Not to mention how many on here criticized previous coaches for not trying in those situations and then some acting like it was stupid idea last night...we were down, you compete.

Bark
10-01-2023, 11:50 AM

The most influential person in college football hired Zach Arnett? Hilarious.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 11:59 AM
The most influential person in college football hired Zach Arnett? Hilarious.

I said most influential college President, not person. He's the 5th most influential person though. He's the chair of the CFP. Don't take my word for it.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2023/09/01/college-football-playoff-25-most-influential.aspx

Bark
10-01-2023, 12:26 PM
I said most influential college President, not person. He's the 5th most influential person though. He's the chair of the CFP. Don't take my word for it.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2023/09/01/college-football-playoff-25-most-influential.aspx

I'm well aware of his involvement in the CFP. Maybe that's why the university academics are where they are. He apparently has a hard time doing both. I'm pissed he hired Arnett without a search but that's the least of his problems.

Since you're a fan of him can you give me a few reasons he's been a good president?

Cowbell
10-01-2023, 12:41 PM
Keenum is just a politician

Leeshouldveflanked
10-01-2023, 01:06 PM
Keenum is just a politician
^^^^^This^^^^^
Keenum is a government bureaucrat where being an underachiever is accepted.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 01:20 PM
I'm well aware of his involvement in the CFP. Maybe that's why the university academics are where they are. He apparently has a hard time doing both. I'm pissed he hired Arnett without a search but that's the least of his problems.

Since you're a fan of him can you give me a few reasons he's been a good president?

I didn't say I was a fan of him.

But If your reason for wanting him gone is related to college football, that'd be a mistake imo. He won't even be making the next hire, and you'd lose the most influential college president in college football.

DownwardDawg
10-01-2023, 02:29 PM

He dropped the f bomb publicly again???

confucius say
10-01-2023, 02:41 PM

Yes. In the postgame presser last night. The unedited version below shows it about 2:40 in. The version on the hail state website edited it out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aHv9wP8ywvc

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 02:56 PM
Yes. In the postgame presser last night. The unedited version below shows it about 2:40 in. The version on the hail state website edited it out.

I think I heard fumble ... not the F bomb. Either way ... I think folks are making too big a deal out of this. Even moreso since his generation uses the word much more openly than our generation did. Hell ... everyone uses it all the time these days.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-01-2023, 02:59 PM
Yep. Dude is a schmuck.

redstickdawg
10-01-2023, 03:01 PM
Yep. Dude is a schmuck.

You've got to wonder if he has some clause in his contract that may come into play with the F bombs, like unprofessional behavior, etc. It certainly is a terrible look for him and the University, really unprofessional and low class.

Cooterpoot
10-01-2023, 03:06 PM
I screamed 17 all night watching that game. I'm ready to be fired as a fan.

DownwardDawg
10-01-2023, 03:22 PM
I screamed 17 all night watching that game. I'm ready to be fired as a fan.

Hahaha! I understand completely! I have too as a fan. Completely in your rights. But when you're the front man of a multi million dollar business, it's unacceptable and shows weakness and guarantees a lack of respect. He can get caught on the sidelines cursing players and coaches because it's not his fault that they show that. But when he stands in front of the camera knowing that "investors" and thousands of people including children are listening, he's a moron.

DownwardDawg
10-01-2023, 03:26 PM

Yep. At 3:12 he says it. I just watched it. Thanks for the link.

SpaceWranglerDawg
10-01-2023, 03:28 PM
Arnett just needs to go be a DC somewhere....which is exactly what will happen at the end of 2024.

I could care less about what he says in interviews....

confucius say
10-01-2023, 03:43 PM
I think I heard fumble ... not the F bomb. Either way ... I think folks are making too big a deal out of this. Even moreso since his generation uses the word much more openly than our generation did. Hell ... everyone uses it all the time these days.

He said the F bomb. Again. That's why the version on hail state edited it out. It wouldn't do that if he said fumble.

And other coaches aren't dropping it consistently in their post game interviews and pressers. It's a bad look as the front man of our program. He needs to grow up.

KB21
10-01-2023, 04:05 PM
While I definitely didn?t like the fact that he completely changed the offense, I?m not ready to just up and say Zach can?t handle this. Mike Leach saw something there that made him believe that the program would be in good hands under Zach.

We were all fooled in thinking that this was our up year roster due to all the seniors on it. There is a reason many of those guys are 6th year guys. We have gotten little to no impact from the 21 and 22 recruiting classes. That?s just the facts.

Fact is, we are in a situation where I?m not sure any coach that isn?t Mike Leach would have had success in.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-01-2023, 04:37 PM
We are also getting our butts kicked in Mississippi HS crootin as well.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 04:56 PM
He said the F bomb. Again. That's why the version on hail state edited it out. It wouldn't do that if he said fumble.

And other coaches aren't dropping it consistently in their post game interviews and pressers. It's a bad look as the front man of our program. He needs to grow up.

I finally heard it. He said it really mostly under his breath, that's why it was so hard for me to hear it. It's a big nothing burger IMO.

DownwardDawg
10-01-2023, 05:06 PM
I finally heard it. He said it really mostly under his breath, that's why it was so hard for me to hear it. It's a big nothing burger IMO.

In leadership circles, it's a huge something burger. Glad you don't care though.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 05:08 PM
In leadership circles, it's a huge something burger. Glad you don't care though.

I care about results ... and those do suck now. Saban uses F bomb all the time. Maybe not with media but he uses it.

was21
10-01-2023, 05:11 PM
While I definitely didn?t like the fact that he completely changed the offense, I?m not ready to just up and say Zach can?t handle this. Mike Leach saw something there that made him believe that the program would be in good hands under Zach.

We were all fooled in thinking that this was our up year roster due to all the seniors on it. There is a reason many of those guys are 6th year guys. We have gotten little to no impact from the 21 and 22 recruiting classes. That?s just the facts.

Fact is, we are in a situation where I?m not sure any coach that isn?t Mike Leach would have had success in.

Not sure I'd trust Mike Leach's opinion on the program being in good shape in Arnett's hands, since Mike Leach didn't give a f--k.

KB21
10-01-2023, 05:23 PM
Some still making up shit about Mike Leach I see.

DownwardDawg
10-01-2023, 05:28 PM
I care about results ... and those do suck now. Saban uses F bomb all the time. Maybe not with media but he uses it.

Almost everyone uses it. Leaders don't use it when they are representing the company they work for. I use it sometimes at work in a closed door situation. I would never use it while speaking publicly or addressing my team in a public forum. It's horrible weakness. The dude is in way over his head. And he knows it. The stress is kicking his butt.

Saban, Smart, etc.... do not use it when speaking as the representative of their schools. They chew their players asses out and it gets caught on camera.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 05:29 PM
Almost everyone uses it. Leaders don't use it when they are representing the company they work for. I use it sometimes at work in a closed door situation. I would never use it while speaking publicly or addressing my team in a public forum. It's horrible weakness. The dude is in way over his head. And he knows it. The stress is kicking his butt.

He looks physically like like he is overwhelmed. That's what worries me. The leadership piece seems to be missing.

Homedawg
10-01-2023, 05:30 PM

And who recruited those classes????? Uh huh.

DownwardDawg
10-01-2023, 05:30 PM
He looks physically like like he is overwhelmed. That's what worries me. The leadership piece seems to be missing.

I agree. Most people aren't cut out for that situation.

TrapGame
10-01-2023, 05:43 PM

He's totally lost on the sideline. I wouldn't be too surprised if he could be talked into stepping down at the end of the season. He's in way over his head. Peterson giving him shit advice isn't helping him either.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 05:54 PM
He's totally lost on the sideline. I wouldn't be too surprised if he could be talked into stepping down at the end of the season. He's in way over his head. Peterson giving him shit advice isn't helping him either.

Peterson getting it from C34 ****

gtowndawg
10-01-2023, 06:05 PM
You can tell he (CZA) has no confidence in what he's doing and how to fix it. We need to move on, people understand Leach dying put us in a bad spot. We get a mulligan on this one, we need to move on after this season.

BlackSailsDawg
10-01-2023, 06:20 PM
You can tell he (CZA) has no confidence in what he's doing and how to fix it. We need to move on, people understand Leach dying put us in a bad spot. We get a mulligan on this one, we need to move on after this season.

He is lost.

We do need to move on

KB21
10-01-2023, 06:35 PM
I personally don?t believe he will get fired barring some scandal that gets him fired. However, if it did happen, they have to be prepared to give the next guy a chance to get his footing, because it is likely that he will be replaced by another first time head coach.

TrapGame
10-01-2023, 07:26 PM

We are gonna find out what kind of AD Selmon will be come December. Either he's a Larry Templeton that accepts the status quo or he's a Greg Byrne willing to be a visionary.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 07:31 PM
We are gonna find out what kind of AD Selmon will be come December. Either he's a Larry Templeton that accepts the status quo or he's a Greg Byrne willing to be a visionary.

Greg was going to retain Croom after 2008 and the EB disaster if he made a change at OC. Croom wouldn't and that's the reason Byrne let him go. That's not really visionary but he did have an either / or plan.

Todd4State
10-01-2023, 07:40 PM
Greg was going to retain Croom after 2008 and the EB disaster if he made a change at OC. Croom wouldn't and that's the reason Byrne let him go. That's not really visionary but he did have an either / or plan.

This isn't true. Croom was fired after Kentucky 2008.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 07:42 PM
This isn't true. Croom was fired after Kentucky 2008.

If Croom had agreed to making the change at OC, he was being retained no matter what. Even the EB disaster.

TrapGame
10-01-2023, 07:45 PM

Byrne was getting rid of Croom no matter what after the EB skull dragging. We had boosters calling Byrne and telling him not to ask for any more money if Croom was still coaching in 2009. It was getting ugly.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 07:46 PM
Byrne was getting rid of Croom no matter what after the EB skull dragging. We had boosters calling Byrne and telling him not to ask for any more money if Croom was still coaching in 2009. It was getting ugly.

It didn't matter by that point because Croom had already told Byrne he wouldn't change the OC.

Goldendawg
10-01-2023, 07:52 PM
What's wrong with this SEC West Head Coaching picture?

bama - Saban legend with NC's
AU - Freeze, slimeball but nationally known with ruthless recruiting and good offensive mind
aTM - Jimbo, slimeball but nationally known with a NC (and Petrino at OC)
OM - Kiffin, nationally known with exciting offense
LSU - Nationally known and a winner at Notre Dame and LSU
Arky - Pitman, Long time sucessful asst at GA and winner (maybe problems this year)
MSU - CZA

You get what who pay for. Bad enough we made this in over his head, rookie HC and a staff of rookies, rethreads and good ole boy, "connected" hires, but imagine him on an in house recruiting visit after any of these West HC's. Shira, Rocky (he could recruit)., Croom, JoMo bad.

DownwardDawg
10-01-2023, 10:12 PM

AU - Freeze, slimeball but nationally known with ruthless recruiting and good offensive mind
Arky - Pitman, Long time sucessful asst at GA and winner (maybe problems this year)
MSU - CZA

You get what who pay for. Bad enough we made this in over his head, rookie HC and a staff of rookies, rethreads and good ole boy, "connected" hires, but imagine him on an in house recruiting visit after any of these West HC's. Shira, Rocky (he could recruit)., Croom, JoMo bad.
This is a scary post. I'm picturing ZA visiting a recruit after Saban, Freeze, Kiffin. Horrifying.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 10:20 PM
This is a scary post. I'm picturing ZA visiting a recruit after Saban, Freeze, Kiffin. Horrifying.

We're paying ZA 3 million a year. That leaves 5 million a year easy that we could be paying a top tier coach.

I say take that 5 million and buy talent instead of a coach.

Goldendawg
10-01-2023, 10:25 PM
We're paying ZA 3 million a year. That leaves 5 million a year easy that we could be paying a top tier coach.

Their top name sucessful HC's are offering big $ for the same recruits. Hard act to follow.

Todd4State
10-01-2023, 11:32 PM
If Croom had agreed to making the change at OC, he was being retained no matter what. Even the EB disaster.

Croom did agree to change the OC. He was trying to bring in Al Borges. No idea if they had an agreement in place or not but that was his plan. Byrne wanted him to switch to the spread option. Croom wasn't going to do that and I can't totally blame him- you can't let your AD just dictate what offense you run as a football coach and he was unfamiliar with that scheme.

But no- it was actually the Kentucky game where we Croomed the end of the game with ridiculous game management and lost to them at home when he decided. Interestingly enough Rosebowl kind of confirmed what I heard about that about a month ago.

Todd4State
10-01-2023, 11:34 PM

I know we paid Leach more than we are paying Arnett. And with no buyout money to pay for Leach we should be set up well to hire someone financially.

Todd4State
10-01-2023, 11:43 PM

MSU - CZA

You mention "nationally known" and "exciting offense" and I think that's a BIG sticking point with Arnett and MSU football in general that may end up being his ultimate demise.

We keep mentioning "blue collar mentality" and trying to sell that and "we're underdogs" but players just aren't attracted to that. They want to play for someone flashy, exciting, or legendary- not go out there and rehash Remember the Titans right down to the boring three yards and a cloud of dust offense.

RiverCityDawg
10-02-2023, 07:26 AM
Their top name sucessful HC's are offering big $ for the same recruits. Hard act to follow.

This is what some people don't seem to get. There's no recruit store where you just buy whatever the hell you want. The recruit has to actually want to come here. If they're worth a crap they can get the same money somewhere else AND get coached by a big time successful head coach.

What is the draw to Arnett, Barbay, Brock and Starkville right now? "Bring your lunch pail to the South Farm, then look like a bunch of jackasses on Saturday" is our current pitch.

SpaceWranglerDawg
10-02-2023, 10:02 AM
This is what some people don't seem to get. There's no recruit store where you just buy whatever the hell you want. The recruit has to actually want to come here. If they're worth a crap they can get the same money somewhere else AND get coached by a big time successful head coach.

What is the draw to Arnett, Barbay, Brock and Starkville right now? "Bring your lunch pail to the South Farm, then look like a bunch of jackasses on Saturday" is our current pitch.

Nothing....there is no draw to come to State over those other options.

BlackSailsDawg
10-02-2023, 10:06 AM

OUCH! That hurts to read. Mainly because it's true. And it seems like the "network" of "insiders" is out today to sell us on how we are moving in the right direction.

TrapGame
10-02-2023, 10:13 AM

Arnett wasn't ready for the Captain's Chair but we will have to suffer through two seasons of this cluster**** before it is corrected.

War Machine Dawg
10-02-2023, 05:53 PM
It didn't matter by that point because Croom had already told Byrne he wouldn't change the OC.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember reading several articles and an interview with Byrne at the time all saying that Croom was open to changing OC, but that he wanted to keep the West Coast Offense as the scheme. Talk was Croom wanted to bring in Al Borges. But Byrne pressed for wholesale changes on offense, which Croom refused to do. That said, it was irrelevant after the EB embarrassment. No way Croom could be retained after that.

Really Clark?
10-02-2023, 06:06 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I seem to remember reading several articles and an interview with Byrne at the time all saying that Croom was open to changing OC, but that he wanted to keep the West Coast Offense as the scheme. Talk was Croom wanted to bring in Al Borges. But Byrne pressed for wholesale changes on offense, which Croom refused to do. That said, it was irrelevant after the EB embarrassment. No way Croom could be retained after that.

Yeah I said OC but it should have been the offense. I misstated that.

Brahmabull
10-03-2023, 01:43 PM
Yeah I said OC but it should have been the offense. I misstated that.

The ultimate decision on Croom was made after the Egg Bowl disaster. Prior to that, the administration was bringing him back.

RezDog7
10-03-2023, 06:15 PM
The ultimate decision on Croom was made after the Egg Bowl disaster. Prior to that, the administration was bringing him back.

So there's hope Selmon will do the same after this years egg bowl.

Leroy Jenkins
10-05-2023, 03:19 PM
https://youtu.be/-IMP8l175So?si=Zmq3qIuM6zRiOFWm

Commercecomet24
10-05-2023, 03:52 PM
https://youtu.be/-IMP8l175So?si=Zmq3qIuM6zRiOFWm

Thats hilarous!