PDA

View Full Version : Can we get a Kyle Wittingham fund started?

Political Hack
10-01-2023, 09:27 AM
He's been interested in coming to the SEC for years.

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 09:30 AM
We had our chance, albeit a small one, in 2017 and that ship has sailed. Also, our boosters want their info more than they want to win. They are going to give this staff every opportunity to fail before being forced to make a move. So unless Selmon finds new boosters with big pockets or one of us wins the lottery we are stuck for the foreseeable future.

msstate7
10-01-2023, 09:37 AM
Good fit.

I'd like to at least interview these guys...
Zach kittley - OC at Texas tech
Jeff lebby - OC at Oklahoma
Willie fritz - HC at Tulane
Kane Womack - HC at USA

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 09:53 AM
Good fit.

Kane Womack - HC at USA

Lebby will never be a HC. His fatal flaw is his father in law. Now that does not bother me one bit, because I do not care. Lebby is not Briles. The other 3 would be good hires with Fritz probably being the safest.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 10:09 AM
Good fit.

Kane Womack - HC at USA

Sean Lewis would get a call and Kinne from me as well. If we start to lose the program then Fritz might be a good choice to solidify the program.

Homedawg
10-01-2023, 10:34 AM
Instead of wasting money on a staff. Why don't we get some money and get some players!!! We won't. Never have. But spending it on talent is way better than hire- fire - rinse repeat.

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 10:35 AM
Instead of wasting money on a staff. Why don't we get some money and get some players!!! We won't. Never have. But spending it on talent is way better than hire- fire - rinse repeat.

Because the current staff is misusing, and in some cases not using, our talent.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 10:35 AM

Can't argue with that

Quaoarsking
10-01-2023, 10:48 AM
Obviously it would be an incredible hire, but how in the world would we hire him away from Utah?

(And I'm not normally one who has an attitude like that...)

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 10:52 AM

I agree with this. It's a lot easier to coach when the Jimmys and Joes are much bigger and faster and QBs can throw accurately and run well too.

Quaoarsking
10-01-2023, 10:56 AM

Maybe hire a "celebrity" coach that would help attract the talent like Colorado did?

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 10:57 AM
Maybe hire a "celebrity" coach that would help attract the talent like Colorado did?

There is only one Deion.

Homedawg
10-01-2023, 11:03 AM
There is only one Deion.

Correct. And anyone like that would never come here anyway.

Homedawg
10-01-2023, 11:04 AM
Obviously it would be an incredible hire, but how in the world would we hire him away from Utah?

(And I'm not normally one who has an attitude like that...)
Pipedreams

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 11:07 AM
Pipedreams

Exactly. As are most of the suggested "hires".

Quaoarsking
10-01-2023, 11:09 AM
https://i.imgur.com/8EWrab3.png

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 11:13 AM
https://i.imgur.com/8EWrab3.png

Our next coach??? ***

Quaoarsking
10-01-2023, 11:14 AM
Our next coach??? ***

I mean, if he would take the job, hell yes I would support hiring him? Is there a bigger "winner" in American sports history?

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 11:16 AM
I mean, if he would take the job, hell yes I would support hiring him? Is there a bigger "winner" in American sports history?

The looking young part is throwing me off some but is that Tom Brady?

EdwardDrayton
10-01-2023, 11:19 AM

We might actually have a chance with that. It would generate headlines and put us in the spotlight which is where his ego loves to bask.

Quaoarsking
10-01-2023, 11:19 AM
The looking young part is throwing me off some but is that Tom Brady?

Yes, I just went to an AI art generator and typed in "Tom Brady in maroon shirt" and this came out. It came out better than expected. (Though I put the logo on myself.)

confucius say
10-01-2023, 11:25 AM
It's way more talent than coaching.

Give us Dart and last years defense with 2-3 OL and we're competing for the west.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 11:26 AM
Yes, I just went to an AI art generator and typed in "Tom Brady in maroon shirt" and this came out. It came out better than expected. (Though I put the logo on myself.)

LMAO. However, I'm not sure how well he could coach. Maybe

Quaoarsking
10-01-2023, 11:30 AM
LMAO. However, I'm not sure how well he could coach. Maybe

I unironically think he would be really good at gathering talent and scheming and would be an outstanding hire for us. I just don't think he'd have any interest in being a college head coach in the first place, and if he did, plenty of other programs would also reach out to him.

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 11:31 AM
It's way more talent than coaching.

Give us Dart and last years defense with 2-3 OL and we're competing for the west.

I do agree that adding a QB that fits this system and replacing the entire OL would go a long way at making us look more competent, but we still would need to replace 8 of the 11 players on defense for us to compete in the West.

Mjoelner34
10-01-2023, 11:35 AM

Or maybe quit paying 2 and 3 star, slow-ass players who wouldn't sniff the field at another SEC program to stay another year and instead go after legit talent.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 11:42 AM
I do agree that adding a QB that fits this system and replacing the entire OL would go a long way at making us look more competent, but we still would need to replace 8 of the 11 players on defense for us to compete in the West.

Well we lost 7 starters off last years defense. Young, Charleton, wheat, Forbes, green, matthews, Duncan. Give me those back with Dart/Daniels and 2 good OL and we're competing for the west.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 11:43 AM
Or maybe quit paying 2 and 3 star, slow-ass players who wouldn't sniff the field at another SEC program to stay another year and instead go after legit talent.

With what money?

Homedawg
10-01-2023, 11:55 AM
With what money?

My point! Everyone keeps saying get this guy. Get that guy. .......

confucius say
10-01-2023, 12:01 PM
My point! Everyone keeps saying get this guy. Get that guy. .......

I know. I'm with you. People don't realize our whole team's NIL this past year doesn't make up what others in this state spent on their QB room.

Mjoelner34
10-01-2023, 12:16 PM
With what money?

People who claim to be "in the know" have stated on here that we spend our NIL money ey to keep current players instead of on future recruits. That money.

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 12:23 PM
People who claim to be "in the know" have stated on here that we spend our NIL money ey to keep current players instead of on future recruits. That money.

But it is pennies compared to what others are spending, even others in our state.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 12:29 PM

When you have difficulty paying to play in the open market, then paying less for retention of current talent is a better option. I'm not saying a good option compared to the open market but what your budget allows. Tulu was money well spent I'd say.

confucius say
10-01-2023, 02:51 PM

Correct. Because retention is much cheaper than buying on the open market.

Now we do have more money today than we did this time last year, so maybe we can sign some free agents this cycle. We will need it

EdwardDrayton
10-02-2023, 01:16 AM
But it is pennies compared to what others are spending, even others in our state.

What are others in our state spending? It's time to start calling out these statements presented as fact but with no actual data. Share the numbers if you really know them.