PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Thoughts- This Is Going To Hurt Edition

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 09:17 AM
Well there is no settling down after last night. Another embarrassing game and embarrassing coaching decisions.

1. Arnett needs to be fired this year, but we will give him another year. Arnett is in so far over his head at this point and even he knows it. It is so painfully obvious that this guy has no clue how to be a HC or the decisions that go along with it. Hell, he has Brad Peterson and Steve Campbell down there advising him on everything.

2. Brock needs to be fired today and we need to get out of the 3-3-5. I know Arnett is also partly to blame for the 3-3-5 but we do not have the lineman to run it. The DC has to see that and yet he keeps putting the same look out there that gets no pressure on the QB and we the holes in the run game are wider than when Moses parted the Red Sea.

3. Barbay seems to have figured at least a little something out. We were able to sustain some drives last night and the run game looked ok at times. Barbay is just so hamstringed by the limitations at the QB position that it takes out about 65% of his playbook.

4. Bench Will Rodgers. This has run its course and it is time to move on. We thank Will for his service and use Wright the rest of the year and find someone in the portal. Hopefully Parson is ready in 2025

5. Get ready for a long season and unless major changes are made a long season next year.

Political Hack
10-01-2023, 09:24 AM
The easy critique is this is Will Rogers fault. I just don't see it. Some of his play has been bad for sure, but his skill set didn't just change overnight. He's still good at the same things. Quick reads, get the ball out, attack different areas of the field to keep the defense honest, run option routes with the guys underneath, throw it to the RBs some to substitute for the running game, etc... we're not doing any of that. Wholesale change with players that don't fit the scheme. That's poor game planning. You could look at the run vs pass split after the first two games and know what was about to happen. Who in the right minds thought we were going to bow up and run the ball against SEC defenses consistently with the guys we have on campus? To me, this is 100% on the administrators and coaches.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 09:25 AM
I posted this in another thread but it may be more appropriate for this thread. So I'm gonna post it here and go delete the other one. And I posted it in reply to Clark's blaming the QB and D for last night's loss. So the "you" is in reply to Clark.

The QB held us back last year and he's holding it back this year. Which is what I said last year. Our offense right now ain't good, and it ain't any better than it was last year.

Now, having said that, I saw some pretty decent things last night offensively, although if Barbay runs another damn gimmick play as he has run several times this year (like the double reverse last night), I'm gonna be ready to fire him on the spot. All the ones we have run so far are slow to develop, go nowhere, and have been wasted downs.

I'm not ready to fire the staff on either side of the ball just yet. I saw some pretty decent things on both sides of the ball I liked last night. And last night we were down all the Dline depth we have, but you ain't saying that in blaming our D and the QB for last night. Just like C34 is saying the QB is holding us back this year, but last year it was Leach's Air Raid. We moved the ball last year against Bama in T-Town, we just didn't get it in the end zone. And last year, the refs started the game even much worse than last night. It's also pretty devastating when you play a game as banged up as we were last night on D, and they still only gave up 23 pts if you take away a pick 6 and short fields due to 2 other picks. They scrapped hard all night. LBs played pretty decent too. We still a little on the slow side but played faster last night than we have been playing. That could be due to confusion some, or maybe just motivation.

At this point in the season last year we had scored 42 against TAM and 40 against Arky. And we had some explosive plays on offense in those games too. Yet the anti-AR/Leach crowd weren't too excited and hardly said a word about those wins. This year, the main anti-AR critic Mr. Football, C34 himself, is having a love fest with this crew, no criticisms at all. It's all sunshine and roses and the staff just needs more time. Yet in 2020 Covid year with no Spring Practice and playing a bunch of true freshmen, he was all over Leach and his AR saying it wouldn't work in SEC and Leach sucked. And he stayed on him the whole time, regardless of if we played well or not. To me that's bullshit, is agenda driven, and has nothing to do with wanting to win or winning football games. He was anti-AR mostly cause he was cutoff from the coaching staff. Now his homeboys are all in there and it's all good.

Going back to the staff. We're MSU, which is frankly probably the 2nd worst job in the SEC beside Vandy. We won't pay coaches or players like other schools will (including KY), we have to recruit against OM, LSU, Bama, and AU (and sometimes UGA now not to mention TAM nosing in over here now) for talent in our own state, which even KY doesn't have to do as much as we do.

This coaching staff is young. Zach is very inexperienced. However, unless we luck into someone like a Freeze or Petrino or whatnot (like Leach), we probably ain't getting a top notch Head Coach, even very good up-n-comers, to come to MSU.

As I said, Zach is young and very inexperienced. So far, he's been protected mostly as the DC. Now, he has all kinds of people in his ears and he has to figure out who to listen to and who to ignore (let's just hope he don't start ignoring or cutting off C34 from his homeboys, or we'll be hearing how much he sucks ad nauseum on this board forever *).

Having said all that, I'm personally inclined to see where this year goes and try to stick with the staff and let them grow and learn. Cause otherwise, we gonna end up doing the same shit AU has done the last several years, and we don't have the pockets nor the clout to lobby the SEC to let us hire a Freeze or Briles type of coach to bail us out on the winning football games front. And I also personally don't trust our admin to hire a good coach either. So if we can squeak out a couple of SEC wins maybe and stick with it, I'm inclined to give this young staff some time to grow together. It took Dabo a good while to evolve at Clemson. We ain't gonna hire any coach that comes in and wins big tomorrow, even with NIL.

And let's fervently hope C34 don't get cutoff from his homeboys in the process*

Todd4State
10-01-2023, 09:32 AM
I posted this in another thread but it may be more appropriate for this thread. So I'm gonna post it here and go delete the other one.

The QB held us back last year and he's holding it back this year. Which is what I said last year. Our offense right now ain't good, and it ain't any better than it was last year.

Now, having said that, I saw some pretty decent things last night offensively, although if Barbay runs another damn gimmick play as he has run several times this year (like the double reverse last night), I'm gonna be ready to fire him on the spot. All the ones we have run so far are slow to develop, go nowhere, and have been wasted downs.

I'm not ready to fire the staff on either side of the ball just yet. I saw some pretty decent things on both sides of the ball I liked last night. And last night we were down all the Dline depth we have, but you ain't saying that in blaming our D and the QB for last night. Just like C34 is saying the QB is holding us back this year, but last year it was Leach's Air Raid. We moved the ball last year against Bama in T-Town, we just didn't get it in the end zone. And last year, the refs started the game even much worse than last night. It's also pretty devastating when you play a game as banged up as we were last night on D, and they still only gave up 23 pts if you take away a pick 6 and short fields due to 2 other picks. They scrapped hard all night. LBs played pretty decent too. We still a little on the slow side but played faster last night than we have been playing. That could be due to confusion some, or maybe just motivation.

At this point in the season last year we had scored 42 against TAM and 40 against Arky. And we had some explosive plays on offense in those games too. Yet the anti-AR/Leach crowd weren't too excited and hardly said a word about those wins. This year, the main anti-AR critic Mr. Football, C34 himself, is having a love fest with this crew, no criticisms at all. It's all sunshine and roses and the staff just needs more time. Yet in 2020 Covid year with no Spring Practice and playing a bunch of true freshmen, he was all over Leach and his AR saying it wouldn't work in SEC and Leach sucked. And he stayed on him the whole time, regardless of if we played well or not. To me that's bullshit, is agenda driven, and has nothing to do with wanting to win or winning football games. He was anti-AR mostly cause he was cutoff from the coaching staff. Now his homeboys are all in there and it's all good.

Going back to the staff. We're MSU, which is frankly probably the 2nd worst job in the SEC beside Vandy. We won't pay coaches or players like other schools will (including KY), we have to recruit against OM, LSU, Bama, and AU (and sometimes UGA now not to mention TAM nosing in over here now) for talent in our own state, which even KY doesn't have to do as much as we do.

This coaching staff is young. Zach is very inexperienced. However, unless we luck into someone like a Freeze or Petrino or whatnot (like Leach), we probably ain't getting a top notch Head Coach, even very good up-n-comers, to come to MSU.

As I said, Zach is young and very inexperienced. So far, he's been protected mostly as the DC. Now, he has all kinds of people in his ears and he has to figure out who to listen to and who to ignore (let's just hope he don't start ignoring or cutting off C34 from his homeboys, or we'll be hearing how much he sucks ad nauseum on this board forever *).

Having said all that, I'm personally inclined to see where this year goes and try to stick with the staff and let them grow and learn. Cause otherwise, we gonna end up doing the same shit AU has done the last several years, and we don't have the pockets nor the clout to lobby the SEC to let us hire a Freeze or Briles type of coach to bail us out on the winning football games front. And I also personally don't trust our admin to hire a good coach either. So if we can squeak out a couple of SEC wins maybe and stick with it, I'm inclined to give this young staff some time to grow together. It took Dabo a good while to evolve at Clemson. We ain't gonna hire any coach that comes in and wins big tomorrow, even with NIL.

And let's fervently hope C34 don't get cutoff from his homeboys in the process*

Nah. This staff is in over their heads. We need to pull the plug quickly.

TrapGame
10-01-2023, 09:36 AM

If Peterson could have been any farther up Arnett's ass last night he could have given him a colonoscopy. It was obvious every time the camera panned to Arnett that Peterson was telling him what he should do. That ain't being a head coach. Arnett is in way over his head. This is Croom level territory now.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 09:37 AM

Ok ... and get who??

SaintDawg
10-01-2023, 09:49 AM
1. Get on the NIL bus and start paying these kids to come here. Roll with it or get rolled over.
2. Drop the moral superiority charade and get a coach that wins, period. As long as he isnt breaking the law, I dont care what he did before or does now in his off time as long as he wins. If you aint cheatin, you aint tryin.
3. Im at the point now that I want us to be hated in the SEC as being ruthless on the field. I had rather be known as mean than soft. Win or lose. I wanna see some Dillon Day stepping on players after the tackle stuff. I want teams to be afraid to play us not because they may lose but because they may get hurt. I’d rather be feared than liked.

I’m just fed up and angry. I dont understand why 13 other SEC schools get it and we dont. Cant blame Selmon… yet. It has to be be Keenum. Bash away.

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 09:50 AM
Ok ... and get who??

At the P5 level I think you would look at Jake Dikert at Wazzu or Lance Leipold at Kansas. Go down to the G5 level and you probably would be looking at Willie Fritz, Kane Wommack, Jon Sumrall, Curt Cignetti, or Jason Candle. If you go coordinator at the P5 level I think you may be looking at Petrino or Sean Lewis. And if you just want the female enrollment and female gameday attendance to go up then Kliff Kingsbury is at USC with Riley.

msstate7
10-01-2023, 09:52 AM
Ok ... and get who??

I think we need to look at 3 things to determine arnett's fate more than wins bc we aren't winning many...
1. Offensive improvement - we've actually saw some signs here the last 2 weeks. Need to step it up even more.
2. Defensive improvement - this pass defense is awful, and the run defense isn't good. Need to find ways to at least slow teams down.
3. Recruiting - we have talent issues imo. Can arnett fix that? He needs to be pointing the trail after some talent

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 09:54 AM
I think we need to look at 3 things to determine arnett's fate more than wins bc we aren't winning many...
1. Offensive improvement - we've actually saw some signs here the last 2 weeks. Need to step it up even more.
2. Defensive improvement - this pass defense is awful, and the run defense isn't good. Need to find ways to at least slow teams down.
3. Recruiting - we have talent issues imo. Can arnett fix that? He needs to be pointing the trail after some talent

Totally agree ... that's the reason for the post. Plus, I still say he has to figure out who to ignore and who to listen to. And unfortunately, he can't just ignore the big $$ folks paying his and his staff's salary. He has to learn how to navigate with them.

Not saying the D is great, but it is pretty banged up right now. Imagine if Simmons and/or Sweat had been hurt in 2018.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 10:00 AM
Totally agree ... that's the reason for the post. Plus, I still say he has to figure out who to ignore and who to listen to. And unfortunately, he can't just ignore the big $$ folks paying his and his staff's salary. He has to learn how to navigate with them.

Not saying the D is great, but it is pretty banged up right now. Imagine if Simmons and/or Sweat had been hurt in 2018.

Yeah I actually thought the front 7 was really gutsy last night playing with just 2 DL several times. The backend is so much in trouble it's pick your poison. Go after the QB or play coverage hasn't mattered either way so far. But I did like some of the changes made in personnel last night.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 10:00 AM
At the P5 level I think you would look at Jake Dikert at Wazzu or Lance Leipold at Kansas. Go down to the G5 level and you probably would be looking at Willie Fritz, Kane Wommack, Jon Sumrall, Curt Cignetti, or Jason Candle. If you go coordinator at the P5 level I think you may be looking at Petrino or Sean Lewis. And if you just want the female enrollment and female gameday attendance to go up then Kliff Kingsbury is at USC with Riley.

My thought is ... what'll end up happening is we'll screw it up and get another JoMo most likely.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 10:04 AM

I like Kinne at TX State as well.

civildawg
10-01-2023, 10:08 AM
My thought is ... what'll end up happening is we'll screw it up and get another JoMo most likely.

Uh... we have another Jomo currently

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 10:16 AM
Uh... we have another Jomo currently

No ... JoMo was an arrogant bastard that had us practicing indoors in August cause he couldn't take the August heat in MS. JoMo's receivers dropped passes right and left. JoMo started Hill over Aeris which ended up getting Fitz killed most every game.

JoMo was inexperienced and thought he knew everything. Zach is inexperienced and willing to learn I think.

TrapGame
10-01-2023, 10:21 AM

I'm going to throw this name out there because it is a possibility. Shane Beamer. Not saying we hire him but he has a lot of State ties and is one of Selmon's BFFs. However, if it's between Petrino and Beamer, I'd go with Petrino every time. I'd go Willie Fritz over Beamer too.

TrapGame
10-01-2023, 10:23 AM
No ... JoMo was an arrogant bastard that had us practicing indoors in August cause he couldn't take the August heat in MS. JoMo's receivers dropped passes right and left. JoMo started Hill over Aeris which ended up getting Fitz killed most every game.

JoMo was inexperienced and thought he knew everything. Zach is inexperienced and willing to learn I think.

Learning from Brad Peterson. He's being set up for failure.

Joebob
10-01-2023, 10:23 AM
I haven't been keeping up the way I need to, but does anybody know why Creed doesn't play anymore? Same reason they won't change quarterbacks? He had an impressive first game but I don't think I've heard his name mentioned since then.

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 10:26 AM
I haven't been keeping up the way I need to, but does anybody know why Creed doesn't play anymore? Same reason they won't change quarterbacks? He had an impressive first game but I don't think I've heard his name mentioned since then.

The reasoning given is that he plays behind Tulu so I guess it is illegal to put them in at the same time.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 10:26 AM
Learning from Brad Peterson. He's being set up for failure.

Now I might not argue that one. That's why I say Zach has to learn how to filter input. Can he learn that? Dunno yet.

Activated Alpha
10-01-2023, 10:33 AM
I'm going to throw this name out there because it is a possibility. Shane Beamer. Not saying we hire him but he has a lot of State ties and is one of Selmon's BFFs. However, if it's between Petrino and Beamer, I'd go with Petrino every time. I'd go Willie Fritz over Beamer too.

I'd hire Petrino right now too. No one is saying they dislike Arnett, but you can tell he is just not ready for this position in the SEC at this time

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 10:33 AM
Now I might not argue that one. That's why I say Zach has to learn how to filter input. Can he learn that? Dunno yet.

He cannot filter himself in media interviews to stop dropping F bombs. What makes you think he can filter input?

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 10:35 AM
He cannot filter himself in media interviews to stop dropping F bombs. What makes you think he can filter input?

I said input, not output. And I really don't care if he uses an F bomb in media sessions. I don't want a saint as a HC.

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 10:39 AM
I said input, not output. And I really don't care if he uses an F bomb in media sessions. I don't want a saint as a HC.

Neither do I, but it just is another reason he is not ready to be a HC. Dan dropped F bombs all the time, same as Moorhead, Leach, Lemonis, Howland, Schaefer, Jans, Purcell, Cohen, and every other coach we have ever had. The difference is that they know how to handle themselves as HCs. This guy does not. He does not excel at anything needed to be a HC. Like if he was a great recruiter or a great marketer then you could forgive some of the misgivings he has on and off the field. However, he does nothing well.

TrapGame
10-01-2023, 10:40 AM

He's let the boosters set up the football program under the guise of mentoring him on the job. They have set his career back five years by doing this. Arnett should have been a head coach at a smaller D1 school to pay his dues. Mullen had been with Urban for nearly a decade when we hired him. He absorbed everything he could from Urban.

SPMT
10-01-2023, 10:42 AM
Ok ... and get who??

Come on. That?s the easiest reply to a coaching change. This is what people said about wanting to get rid of Croom.

We all know we won?t get a ?hot name? HC, neither will most schools.

The stupidity of the complete staff overhaul with a complete rookie head coach was indication number one and they?ve just piled it on throughout the season.

It is crystal clear this staff has no clue. I mean, very obvious. It?s time to cut them and move on.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 10:46 AM
Neither do I, but it just is another reason he is not ready to be a HC. Dan dropped F bombs all the time, same as Moorhead, Leach, Lemonis, Howland, Schaefer, Jans, Purcell, Cohen, and every other coach we have ever had. The difference is that they know how to handle themselves as HCs. This guy does not. He does not excel at anything needed to be a HC. Like if he was a great recruiter or a great marketer then you could forgive some of the misgivings he has on and off the field. However, he does nothing well.

You might be right but we don't know all that yet. That's why in my post I said let's see how rest of year plays out, and that includes the recruiting cycle too. Right now I would say we ain't doing too good at that. We need at least 1, and preferably 2, of those top 4 Dlinemen in this state.

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 10:48 AM
He's let the boosters set up the football program under the guise of mentoring him on the job. They have set his career back five years by doing this. Arnett should have been a head coach at a smaller D1 school to pay his dues. Mullen had been with Urban for nearly a decade when we hired him. He absorbed everything he could from Urban.

Spot. On. The boosters got scared they were going to lose control and access when Cohen left so they forced this hire under the guise of keeping the recruiting class together and continuing the legacy of Leach.

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 10:49 AM
You might be right but we don't know all that yet. That's why in my post I said let's see how rest of year plays out, and that includes the recruiting cycle too. Right now I would say we ain't doing too good at that. We need at least 1, and preferably 2, of those top 4 Dlinemen in this state.

We need all of that along with immediate transfer help. And sadly, I doubt we get either.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 10:49 AM

This is a key point people are missing IMO when talking about hiring a new football coach. I think we got lucky with Mullen. And what Mullen was really good at was doing much more with less and developing players over time. We need that again and they ain't a dime a dozen.

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2023, 10:54 AM
This is a key point people are missing IMO when talking about hiring a new football coach. I think we got lucky with Mullen. And what Mullen was really good at was doing much more with less and developing players over time. We need that again and they ain't a dime a dozen.

We made a grand slam hire with Dan and most new it from the moment we hired him. He came in and fired up the fan base, started crawling in OMs ass from the jump and was hell on wheels on the recruiting trail early on. Hell you have to remember we were only 30-50K away from pulling Cam Newton.

Again, if he is even halfway open to the idea you hire him back this afternoon. Hev would have this line looking competent by Wednesday and Dan would have Mike Wright running the Relf Coast by this evening.

Leroy Jenkins
10-01-2023, 11:01 AM
we need to get out of the 3-3-5 we do not have the lineman to run it.

If we don't have 3 DL, how do we play with 4?

Joebob
10-01-2023, 11:01 AM
The reasoning given is that he plays behind Tulu so I guess it is illegal to put them in at the same time.

Well, at least now I know :(

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 11:04 AM
If we don't have 3 DL, how do we play with 4?

I thought our 2-4-5 looked better last night at times than our 3 DL looks this season with some of our talented young players getting more time. Thought Pick and Crumedy were playing well and gutsy all night.

Santiago
10-01-2023, 11:15 AM
The easy critique is this is Will Rogers fault. I just don't see it. Some of his play has been bad for sure, but his skill set didn't just change overnight. He's still good at the same things. Quick reads, get the ball out, attack different areas of the field to keep the defense honest, run option routes with the guys underneath, throw it to the RBs some to substitute for the running game, etc... we're not doing any of that. Wholesale change with players that don't fit the scheme. That's poor game planning. You could look at the run vs pass split after the first two games and know what was about to happen. Who in the right minds thought we were going to bow up and run the ball against SEC defenses consistently with the guys we have on campus? To me, this is 100% on the administrators and coaches.

I am really glad you posted this.
That mentality was not only by admin and coaches but pushed by some on these message boards who are friends with the good ole boys.
Arnett said when hired he would not change much. I thought that was a wise move. He already had mobile qb's committed and being recruited so take time to transition to a whole other offense.
Then after being hired he switched. He started listening to the wrong group.
Our admin seems to also have some playbook from the Templeton days that in an emergency..... hire from within and then hire their friends.

Santiago
10-01-2023, 11:17 AM
We made a grand slam hire with Dan and most new it from the moment we hired him. He came in and fired up the fan base, started crawling in OMs ass from the jump and was hell on wheels on the recruiting trail early on. Hell you have to remember we were only 30-50K away from pulling Cam Newton.

Again, if he is even halfway open to the idea you hire him back this afternoon. Hev would have this line looking competent by Wednesday and Dan would have Mike Wright running the Relf Coast by this evening.

Dan is in cruise control these days. You would not be getting the hungry Dan. You would be getting South Alabama short wearing Dan.

Santiago
10-01-2023, 11:19 AM

Agree Vegas, Arnett speaking uncontrollable like that is a sign of weakness, not strength, in his press conferences.

vindastra
10-01-2023, 11:32 AM
2. Drop the moral superiority charade and get a coach that wins, period. As long as he isnt breaking the law, I dont care what he did before or does now in his off time as long as he wins. If you aint cheatin, you aint tryin.

Just don't care anymore.

Get a Briles or Hudspeth FWIW. Build them a brothel in Vegas if you want to keep it legal.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 11:41 AM
Just don't care anymore.

Get a Briles or Hudspeth FWIW. Build them a brothel in Vegas if you want to keep it legal.

Most want to move away from and are complaining about the connections that was brought in for this staff and you want...Hudspeth?? Coaching in high school Hudspeth??? He is the poster child of being brought into the staff for connection purposes. If I never hear his name mentioned for HC again it will be too soon.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-01-2023, 11:53 AM

I really have a hard time understanding our fanbase and the hate out there for Moorhead. Let me clue you in on something. 99% of head coaches in college football are arrogant assholes. We took some steps back with Moorhead and long term I don't think he would have worked out, but at least he win SOME games and 2 Egg Bowls. We are staring 0-8 in the SEC in the face with a senior heavy team that won 9 games last season.

Also Moorhead had big success at major programs and is still a division 1 head coach. Arnett got this job because his boss died-That's it. He, like Croom, will never again be a head coach.

TrapGame
10-01-2023, 11:57 AM
Agree Vegas, Arnett speaking uncontrollable like that is a sign of weakness, not strength, in his press conferences.

It's Jeremy Pruitt level. Although, I don't think Pruitt ever swore during a press conference, the same brainless, over your head mannerisms are obviously there.

BlackSailsDawg
10-01-2023, 12:01 PM
Well, we need to go in a different direction.

Really Clark?
10-01-2023, 12:03 PM
I really have a hard time understanding our fanbase and the hate out there for Moorhead. Let me clue you in on something. 99% of head coaches in college football are arrogant assholes. We took some steps back with Moorhead and long term I don't think he would have worked out, but at least he win SOME games and 2 Egg Bowls. We are staring 0-8 in the SEC in the face with a senior heavy team that won 9 games last season.

Also Moorhead had big success at major programs and is still a division 1 head coach. Arnett got this job because his boss died-That's it. He, like Croom, will never again be a head coach.

I hear ya but JoMo is 3-14 at Akron in his second year. I think he is a good OC but not HC. And him being fired had everything to do with the issues inside the program and not just his win loss record here.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-01-2023, 12:09 PM
I hear ya but JoMo is 3-14 at Akron in his second year. I think he is a good OC but not HC. And him being fired had everything to do with the issues inside the program and not just his win loss record here.

Yeah I know, and i agree he's not a great head coach.

The post was more about just the hate of the man from our fanbase. He wasn't going to make it here with the off the field problems.

PGHBulldogBG
10-01-2023, 12:24 PM

The post was more about just the hate of the man from our fanbase. He wasn't going to make it here with the off the field problems.

I can?t speak for the entire fanbase, but my dislike for Moorhead stems back to his time at PSU. I live in PA and know a lot of PSU fans. Moorhead had a good offense there because he had some rare talent with Barkley and McSorley. I will give him credit for helping to utilize the talent, but both of them had a natural gift. Most PSU fans expected better results given the raw talent. It was known he was not much of a disciplinarian. This is why I was furious when we hired him. I knew it would be a disaster. Then the Kentucky game I was immediately over him and knew he was going to take our most talented team in many years and not do anything with it. Combine the cheating and forfeited wins along with letting the inmates run the asylum, it makes me dislike him more than any Miss State coach. I am not sold on Arnett, but I?m willing to give him a chance since he did a great job with our defense for three years given the raw talent he had. That being said, if he goes less than 6-6 with this team I will be ready to move on.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 12:29 PM

OK ... I'll give you that 99% coaches are arrogant assholes. And I'll give you JoMo won some games too.

However ... he ain't a BIG success at major program(s ... plural) coming into our program. He was OC at PSU for 2 years and while they beat OSU one year, his O numbers against OSU were not that great both years. And he also was privileged with NFL offensive skill players at PSU including a top 5 RB pick. With that talent PSU was 49th in Total O in 2016 and 21st in scoring. In 2017 they were 19th and 6th. Nice jump, small sample size, very good skill players.

He was 51st in total O at Oregon in 2021. He was 42nd in scoring O. To put that into perspective in 2019 they were 39th and 16th. In 2018 they were 41st and 25th.

He's got 3 total years as a Div 1 OC, 2 as an SEC coach and 2 as a mid-American Div 1 coach.
Now ... he's shore lighting it up at Akron. But ... we'll see.

And JoMo blew up what could've been maybe our best team ever. The only good thing he did was hire Shoop in 2018. Hell even the guys he brought with him from PSU bailed on him after 2018. And then he told us to kick rocks and pound sand LOL.

dawgday166
10-01-2023, 12:31 PM
I can?t speak for the entire fanbase, but my dislike for Moorhead stems back to his time at PSU. I live in PA and know a lot of PSU fans. Moorhead had a good offense there because he had some rare talent with Barkley and McSorley. I will give him credit for helping to utilize the talent, but both of them had a natural gift. Most PSU fans expected better results given the raw talent. It was known he was not much of a disciplinarian. This is why I was furious when we hired him. I knew it would be a disaster. Then the Kentucky game I was immediately over him and knew he was going to take our most talented team in many years and not do anything with it. Combine the cheating and forfeited wins along with letting the inmates run the asylum, it makes me dislike him more than any Miss State coach. I am not sold on Arnett, but I?m willing to give him a chance since he did a great job with our defense for three years given the raw talent he had. That being said, if he goes less than 6-6 with this team I will be ready to move on.

And Bruce ... add ^^^ right here. Cohen didn't do his damn homework. Probably should be more pissed at Cohen than JoMo.

parabrave
10-01-2023, 12:58 PM

Yep/

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-01-2023, 01:19 PM
And Bruce ... add ^^^ right here. Cohen didn't do his damn homework. Probably should be more pissed at Cohen than JoMo.

Yeah I get it too, and I am not advocating he should still be the coach or anything. I am just saying, it seemed like a lot of our fan base hated him even when we won. As opposed to our current coach where they keep making excuses to these Croom level performances. That's really the point I was trying to make.

Offshore Dawg
10-02-2023, 12:49 PM

It probably isn't hate as much as disgusted with the results.

gtowndawg
10-02-2023, 01:26 PM
It's Jeremy Pruitt level. Although, I don't think Pruitt ever swore during a press conference, the same brainless, over your head mannerisms are obviously there.

I agree but we (my friends and I) say it's like Joe Lee Dunn. Great DC that had NO business being a head coach. Same thing.