PDA

View Full Version : Was Mullen's 2013 comeback = Jackie's 1996 comeback?

Coach34
12-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Refresher:

Jackie had gone 4-5-2 in 93, 8-4 in 94, 3-8 in 1995, and was sitting at 3-5 after a loss to Kentucky in 1996. LT was making his move to get rid of Jackie and get someone he wanted in the job. Then Jackie upset Bammer, lost a heartbreaker to UPig, and then steamrolled Ole Miss in Oxford 17-0 during a rainstorm to finish 5-6. Many speculated had Jackie not beaten OM- LT was going to make the move.

Jackie came back in 1997 and started the best run for State since the 1940's with 4 straight winning seasons and 3 bowl games from 97-2000.

While Mullen hadnt had a losing season since 2009, there was some growing resentment and some boosters were starting to call for his head. Had he not won these last 2 games, many believe we were headed for showdown between some top boosters and the Administration.

With our team being fairly young and we look to have some good years coming, and 2015 recruiting looking strong- could this have been Mullen's "Jackie momentum swing"?

engie
12-03-2013, 01:56 PM
We've finally captured some real momentum for the first time in quite awhile -- maybe since the end of the 2010 season/beginning of the 2011 season. We've GOT to capitalize on it on the recruiting trail this time -- and we seem to be doing a great job of that in the 2015 class. Need to pick up a couple more key pieces in 2014.

Yes -- I see alot of similarities to the 96 run with how the defense has stepped up late and essentially "saved" a coach...

BrunswickDawg
12-03-2013, 02:00 PM
I think it is setting up well for something like that. Let's hope some patience pays off. From that 96 Bama game to the end of 99 was a great time to be a Dawg.

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Need to pick up a couple more key pieces in 2014.

Looks like we have a good chance with Tee Shepard. Not sure about who else we are after that would be a big get though.

engie
12-03-2013, 02:10 PM
I think it is setting up well for something like that. Let's hope some patience pays off. From that 96 Bama game to the end of 99 was a great time to be a Dawg.

I'd say through the end of 2000 -- even though hindsight shows some serious cracks in our armor in the 2000 season...

What actually changed in 96 was that we found our DC -- and held onto him. Also started recruiting lights out about that time, if not before...

engie
12-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Looks like we have a good chance with Tee Shepard. Not sure about who else we are after that would be a big get though.

There are quite a few still out there in JUCO-land that could be really big pickups...

BrunswickDawg
12-03-2013, 02:49 PM
I'd say through the end of 2000 -- even though hindsight shows some serious cracks in our armor in the 2000 season...

What actually changed in 96 was that we found our DC -- and held onto him. Also started recruiting lights out about that time, if not before...

Agree - And hopefully we can hang on to our DC now. I wouldn't mind some of that history repeating itself...

BulldogBear
12-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Agree - And hopefully we can hang on to our DC now. I wouldn't mind some of that history repeating itself...

If we lose Collins, we lose him... but it better not be because of $$$

angusyoung
12-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Jackie very well may have been fired had we not beaten bama and miss but Mullen was not going to be fired this year under any circumstances. That's what's so frustrating with you guys thinking Mullen saved his job and how y'all are now back on the bandwagon.

Stricklin isn't basing his decisions on what message boards say.

No matter how big a font you type your stupid uninformed opinions in, no one that makes any real decisions is reading it.

You can type "IM DONE. FIRE MULLEN" a thousand times and no one gives a shit.

engie
12-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Jackie very well may have been fired had we not beaten bama and miss but Mullen was not going to be fired this year under any circumstances. That's what's so frustrating with you guys thinking Mullen saved his job and how y'all are now back on the bandwagon.

No matter how big a font you type your stupid uninformed opinions in, no one that makes any real decisions is reading it.

It's hilarious how people pretend to know this -- while making it obvious through their comments that they don't have a clue. If you knew what was going on -- you would know FULL WELL that Mullen's seat was scalding hot early this year -- and Stricklin had even talked to people to be sure that the buyout was in place if needed. While he gave votes of confidence in public -- he was preparing for the possibility of having to go another direction behind closed doors.

It's a moot point -- because Mullen stepped up and got it done at the end of the season. Are there still glaring causes for concern? Yes. But he did what was necessary to get the chance to fix those problems -- and we saw visual improvement from the team as the year went on for the first time since the end of 2010. There is cause for optimism going forward -- when 4-5 weeks ago, there was none.

Nice job on hijacking a good thread with this agenda-driven bullshit in attempt to divide a fanbase that's finally trying to pull together though...

Todd4State
12-03-2013, 03:48 PM
I would say it's similar- but I think what Jackie did was more miraculous than what Dan did.

Dan hasn't had any bad losses this year. Jackie lost to La Tech in 1996 and also lost to ULM the year before. Jackie was also getting blown out by Auburn, Georgia and etc. and we just weren't even looking very competitive.

Actually, IMO I think that changed when we played ULM that year. We blew them out 59-0 and looked really good and like we had some semblance of promise for the first time in two years. Again, bear in mind that ULM had beaten us the year before also. Then we out of the blue beat Alabama when they were a top ten team, which is something that Dan didn't do this year, but I'm not holding that against him either at the moment. We lost to Arkansas because we were flat from the week before- and I'm about 90% sure Dan would have beaten that Arkansas team. Then we came back and beat Ole Miss which was a 5-6 team with TWO wins over I-AA teams. And we did that on the road.

This year Dan beat the people he was supposed to beat- which is a good thing- and then he won the Egg Bowl which was for all intents and purposes a toss up going into the game.

Really all I want out of Dan at this point is to improve his personnel decisions and hire a special teams coach. I think if he does that, he'll start to score some wins over ranked teams every now and then. It appears as if recruiting is improving already- three four star commits for 2015 including Johnson today.

ED_Walk_On
12-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Mullen's 2013 Comeback

I'm not trying to be smart, but I have no idea what this means.

NCDawg
12-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Joe Lee Dunn saved Sherrill after his 1-7 record in '95. They brought in good JC players and won the SEC West in '98 (albeit with an inordinately amount of luck). We beat the good teams in 2000 (AL, Auburn, Florida) and then lose to not very good Arkansas and Ole Miss teams at the end of the season. The program went on a spiral downhill after that.
We can than thank Nickoe Whitley for saving the Arkansas and Ole Miss games this year. If he hadn't made those plays, both outcomes would have been in doubt, and if we had lost, people on this board wouldn't be nearly as optimistic.

AROB44
12-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Don't forget........Jackie's DC then (Joe Lee Dunn) did not recruit. It was part of his agreement that he did not have to recruit. At least that was my understanding. Don't believe that could or would happen today.

slickdawg
12-03-2013, 04:39 PM

I don't see how you fire a coach that went to three straight bowls. Sure there was some pressure, but I never thought Dan's job was in jeopardy this year. Well, except the special teams part of him.

angusyoung
12-03-2013, 04:41 PM
It's hilarious how people pretend to know this -- while making it obvious through their comments that they don't have a clue. If you knew what was going on -- you would know FULL WELL that Mullen's seat was scalding hot early this year -- and Stricklin had even talked to people to be sure that the buyout was in place if needed. While he gave votes of confidence in public -- he was preparing for the possibility of having to go another direction behind closed doors.

It's a moot point -- because Mullen stepped up and got it done at the end of the season. Are there still glaring causes for concern? Yes. But he did what was necessary to get the chance to fix those problems -- and we saw visual improvement from the team as the year went on for the first time since the end of 2010. There is cause for optimism going forward -- when 4-5 weeks ago, there was none.

Nice job on hijacking a good thread with this agenda-driven bullshit in attempt to divide a fanbase that's finally trying to pull together though...

You don't have any clue the number of actual athletic department employees that I have spoken to first hand both over the phone and in person.

Fact is you and many others just love to go on message boards and run your mouth yet you don't feel the need to substantiate any of the bullshit that you continuously spray all over the place.

Barking 13
12-03-2013, 04:55 PM
You don't have any clue the number of actual athletic department employees that I have spoken to first hand both over the phone and in person.

Fact is you and many others just love to go on message boards and run your mouth yet you don't feel the need to substantiate any of the bullshit that you continuously spray all over the place.

Don't be messin' with "da prince".....:p

Jack Lambert
12-03-2013, 05:14 PM
We've finally captured some real momentum for the first time in quite awhile -- maybe since the end of the 2010 season/beginning of the 2011 season. We've GOT to capitalize on it on the recruiting trail this time -- and we seem to be doing a great job of that in the 2015 class. Need to pick up a couple more key pieces in 2014.

Yes -- I see alot of similarities to the 96 run with how the defense has stepped up late and essentially "saved" a coach...

I think this year recruiting is not going to be good. It's kind of late in the process. I guess there is always hope it will turn around and I maybe he will get a few uncut jewels this year and put in a good one next year.

Todd4State
12-03-2013, 05:38 PM
I think this year recruiting is not going to be good. It's kind of late in the process. I guess there is always hope it will turn around and I maybe he will get a few uncut jewels this year and put in a good one next year.

We're almost done with this year. We certainly could/would add Tee Shepherd and the Moore twins if they decide to flip.

But our 2015 class has four commits- and all four are four star players. That doesn't include Fletcher Adams and whatever Mississippi QB we get. We'll see how we finish, but we're already off to a great start. And without a doubt the quickest start to a recruiting class in the Mullen era.

engie
12-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Touche. I definitely wouldn't be getting that information from similar places -- and corroberating it within our booster structure**

But that's EXACTLY what you just did -- is it not? Hypocrite much?

Outside of the fact that you are trying to rekindle a fight where there's none to be had at this point...

angusyoung
12-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Touche. I definitely wouldn't be getting that information from similar places -- and corroberating it within our booster structure**

But that's EXACTLY what you just did -- is it not? Hypocrite much?

Outside of the fact that you are trying to rekindle a fight where there's none to be had at this point...

Are you seriously a delusional schizophrenic? I don't have to substantiate anything I've said because it has all come true. I have never said anything other than that Mullen would be here next year no matter what.

And I'm not rekindling anything. I'm trying to shine a light on the assholes that have littered every message board for months with their loud shouting and mindless drivel.

Coach34
12-03-2013, 06:33 PM
I also think Mullen was going to be here regardless- but had he finished 4-8, then there was going to be discussion about a change. There was still alot of concern though about getting that $5MM together- but losing to OM has a way of motivating people. We'll never know and I'm glad. Jackie going in to Mullen's press conference to hug and congratulate him said alot too. Jackie is a smart man, and he wanted people to see that. It wasnt just for show- Jackie was a happy mf'er like the rest of us- but he knew what he doing by doing it in public.

The best thing for us happened- the team didnt quit or get discouraged, worked it's ass off, overcame injuries to key people, and won it's last 2 to get in a bowl game. Now we have some momentum back and Mullen will be leading what should be a pretty damn good football team in 2014.

engie
12-03-2013, 06:54 PM
Are you seriously a delusional schizophrenic? I don't have to substantiate anything I've said because it has all come true. I have never said anything other than that Mullen would be here next year no matter what.

And I'm not rekindling anything. I'm trying to shine a light on the assholes that have littered every message board for months with their loud shouting and mindless drivel.

Point me to where I said a 6-6 Mullen that won the egg would get fired? That's what I thought. Because I said the opposite many times...

"Mindless drivel"? Lol --- be sure to point me to all this tremendous substance you've brought to the table...

LeakyD
12-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Dan is a smart guy who realized that Jackie did something that no other State coach had done in the modern era: win with some consistency. I love that our two best coaches have a mutual respect. If not for the NCAA, Jackie would have a greater presence today.

Jackie's last good season, 2000, was plagued by injuries up front. We probably should've been undefeated going into Oxford. We blew late leads against USC, LSU, and Arkansas. We also jumped ahead early on Ole Miss, but Madkin left the game with an illness. We dominated Auburn and Florida who played in SECCG.

Tbonewannabe
12-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Dan is a smart guy who realized that Jackie did something that no other State coach had done in the modern era: win with some consistency. I love that our two best coaches have a mutual respect. If not for the NCAA, Jackie would have a greater presence today.

Jackie's last good season, 2000, was plagued by injuries up front. We probably should've been undefeated going into Oxford. We blew late leads against USC, LSU, and Arkansas. We also jumped ahead early on Ole Miss, but Madkin left the game with an illness. We dominated Auburn and Florida who played in SECCG.
Jake Hambrick started the eggbowl in 2000. A walkon that had no D1 offers. That was how bad our dline was banged up that year. We went the instant fix with some not SEC quality jucos and let the program go down hill.