PDA

View Full Version : Being reported that Clemson has a tentative agreement for an exit plan from ACC

CaptainObvious
09-27-2023, 09:54 PM
In 2025.

msstate7
09-27-2023, 10:03 PM
To where

Homedawg
09-27-2023, 10:15 PM
Don't move the needle for me.

Westdawg
09-27-2023, 10:35 PM
My guess would be SEC?.but if not be shocked to see the B1G pulling it.
I personally see Clemson, FSU, NC State, North Carolina, and Virginia or Virginia Tech joining us as well?possibly Duke or Miami

PGHBulldogBG
09-28-2023, 06:02 AM
I think conference expansion will end once the SEC adds Clemson, FSU, Miami and Va Tech. At least with the two big conferences. The big 10 will add UVA and UNC and then both leagues will be at 20. ACC will probably stay in tact by adding teams like Marshall, App State, Tulane, Liberty and UConn to get them to 20 teams. I eventually see the big 12 taking Wash State, Oregon State, Boise State and San Diego State to get to 20. This will be 2nd tier league. 3rd tier league will be probably three or four small conferences like the MAC, Sunbelt and AAC which will probably each consist of about 15 teams. I guess Notre Dame will just be Notre Dame not sure what to do about them

msstate7
09-28-2023, 06:48 AM
College football seems determined to kill all nostalgia associated with the sport.

William Tecumsah Sherman
09-28-2023, 07:17 AM
Which is one of the main draws to it

basedog
09-28-2023, 07:28 AM
Seems SC would be against Clemson joining, I also wonder about Fsu in Sec because of Florida. But time will tell, I'm sure Clemson, Fsu, Miami and NC have a plan as does the Sec.

20 Team conference sounds correct to form 60 to 80 power conferences teams.

DawgFromOxford
09-28-2023, 07:58 AM
Seems SC would be against Clemson joining, I also wonder about Fsu in Sec because of Florida. But time will tell, I'm sure Clemson, Fsu, Miami and NC have a plan as does the Sec.

I mean we have 2 other SEC schools within 1.5 hours of campus so they can get over it

Hot Rock
09-28-2023, 08:08 AM
Conference realignment has been happening since the game started. I think everyone knows it but doesn't think about it when things change and they don't like how it makes them feel.

The nostalgia you remember is the time when you were young. The young of today will remember these times fondly and the next generation will think their times are better. It's the cycle of life. I mean really? When was the last time you thought of Princeton, Harvard and Yale as the powerhouses for the first 40 years of the existence in the sport or even Minnesota in the 30's. You want a history of conf realignment.. go here or google your own link.. https://theathletic.com/4662822/2023/07/14/college-football-conference-realignment-history/ I didn't even read it myself but I did skim it but here is one excerpt:

Dec. 9, 1932: The original Southern Conference, formed in 1921, had as many as 23 members, until 13 of them broke away to form the modern-day SEC. They included 10 current SEC schools plus Georgia Tech, Tulane and Sewanee. It may have been the most amicable conference breakup in history. Upon receiving the news, league president C.P. “Sally” Miles told the group, “I hope you may prosper, and may your gates be bigger and better.”

basedog
09-28-2023, 08:22 AM
I mean we have 2 other SEC schools within 1.5 hours of campus so they can get over it

I understand, but I read where SC is against Clemson getting in the Sec. Fsu was invited or wanted in years ago, I have no problem with them getting in.

Saltydog
09-28-2023, 08:41 AM
20 is likely where it's going but it's too damn many. The greed is killing collegiate athletics and it's only going to get worse.

Cooterpoot
09-28-2023, 08:50 AM
Clemson looks like a Big team. Can't see the SEC taking them. NC is the big piece in the ACC. FSU/Miami might be after that.

Quaoarsking
09-28-2023, 09:41 AM
I understand, but I read where SC is against Clemson getting in the Sec. Fsu was invited or wanted in years ago, I have no problem with them getting in.

Texas A&M didn't want Texas either, until the SEC told them too bad and they better vote Yes to make it unanimous.

R2Dawg
09-28-2023, 12:01 PM
College football seems determined to kill all nostalgia associated with the sport.

Yep, we'll tell our grandkids how great college sports was years ago down the road. No one will believe it.

viverlibre
09-28-2023, 01:19 PM

Saturday was one of the best College Football days in years. I watched a ton of games, nostalgia had absolutely nothing to do with it. Good teams, good games, good storylines. Nostalgia is vastly overrated.

parabrave
09-28-2023, 01:22 PM
Clemson has no TV market except for the upstate of South Carolina and south Jersey. They have a large student population from Jersey. The SEC would rather have UNC for basketball and the State of North Carolina.

basedog
09-28-2023, 02:45 PM
Clemson has no TV market except for the upstate of South Carolina and south Jersey. They have a large student population from Jersey. The SEC would rather have UNC for basketball and the State of North Carolina.

I agree

coachnorm
09-28-2023, 03:39 PM

I believe you to be on point and I have posted similar in the past. What South Carolina and Florida think is irreverent because the networks are paying for the product. It is HUNGER GAMES and that is the END GAME about this future expansion. Sooner rather than later Notre Dame will get put in its place by the monetary overlords and get into the Big Ten because ND will understand where it is in the food chain, especially when NBC cuts them off monetarily for non compliance.

Apoplectic
09-28-2023, 11:38 PM

that?s not how it works any longer - it?s a new world of clicks and steaming. the sec will take fsu clem certainly. the other 2 are ideally uva and unc

preachermatt83
09-28-2023, 11:41 PM
Just have 4 mega conferences and take the top 4 from each one to go to a 16 team playoff. It’s a beautiful thought

BulldogBear
09-29-2023, 12:32 AM
This is such an odd play. It has to be the B1G. They bring nothing of real value to the SEC. It's another mouth to feed in a small market. Maybe you're thinking Charleston and Columbia. Then I would present to you the state of Missouri with Kansas City and St. Louis. Why would the SEC want "Missouri Tech" when it already has the market. Oh, but "Missouri Tech" is a big name.

Is Clemson a big name? In the last half decade or so. Yeah. Historically? No bigger than Arkansas. They haven't done anything Auburn hasn't done. Be honest, if Auburn wasn't already in the SEC would they be getting an invite? Not in any universe.

Clemson is also trending downward towards once again being just another Auburn or Arkansas. There is too small of a sample size to assume they are a perrinial top 10 that any duplicate market SEC addition would need to be.

If this is true, it a very dumb, short sighted move by the SEC and smacks of desperation. Taking Clemson would be an admission that the B1G has passed the SEC in prestige.

parabrave
09-29-2023, 01:32 AM
This is such an odd play. It has to be the B1G. They bring nothing of real value to the SEC. It's another mouth to feed in a small market. Maybe you're thinking Charleston and Columbia. Then I would present to you the state of Missouri with Kansas City and St. Louis. Why would the SEC want "Missouri Tech" when it already has the market. Oh, but "Missouri Tech" is a big name.

Is Clemson a big name? In the last half decade or so. Yeah. Historically? No bigger than Arkansas. They haven't done anything Auburn hasn't done. Be honest, if Auburn wasn't already in the SEC would they be getting an invite? Not in any universe.

Clemson is also trending downward towards once again being just another Auburn or Arkansas. There is too small of a sample size to assume they are a perrinial top 10 that any duplicate market SEC addition would need to be.

If this is true, it a very dumb, short sighted move by the SEC and smacks of desperation. Taking Clemson would be an admission that the B1G has passed the SEC in prestige.

I used to live there/ Believe me when I tell you that UGA has more Grads and support in that area. Clemson is a poor mans Auburn. Used to see a few MSU Grads in banking up there also.

Really Clark?
09-29-2023, 07:05 AM
If it becomes a package deal to get North Carolina, I take Clemson everyday and twice on Sunday. I also want to close the door of any of the more premium name teams in my footprint going to the B10.

SpaceBully
09-29-2023, 11:33 AM
that?s not how it works any longer - it?s a new world of clicks and steaming. the sec will take fsu clem certainly. the other 2 are ideally uva and unc

Those who watch on tv is proportional to those who stream. So, number of tvs can tell you who will be streaming or clicking pretty closely.

R2Dawg
09-29-2023, 11:53 AM
Saturday was one of the best College Football days in years. I watched a ton of games, nostalgia had absolutely nothing to do with it. Good teams, good games, good storylines. Nostalgia is vastly overrated.

Nostalgia may be the wrong word but all these moves are killing college sports. Next year we don't even play Bama, Aub or LSU. The history of these games is what makes the SEC and college sports so good.

Yes I know Bama and LSU have had our #. Aub we been fairly even for 30 years. It is not about who won. Heck just do away with the iron bowl, egg bowl and all the rest why not. All about the deals they can make.

CaptainObvious
09-29-2023, 12:44 PM
Nostalgia may be the wrong word but all these moves are killing college sports. Next year we don't even play Bama, Aub or LSU. The history of these games is what makes the SEC and college sports so good.

Yes I know Bama and LSU have had our #. Aub we been fairly even for 30 years. It is not about who won. Heck just do away with the iron bowl, egg bowl and all the rest why not. All about the deals they can make.

I?m sure the SEC office will find other teams for you to watch bash our brains in. When LSU and Bama hire another Stovall and Shula, I?ll be ready to watch us actually compete with them year in and year out again. Until then let?s try a couple of new teams.

PGHBulldogBG
09-29-2023, 01:42 PM
I really don?t understand why people would not want Clemson to join the SEC but would want UNC. Clemson has been the best team in the ACC over the past 10 years. Florida State is good this year, but State and Ole Miss have been better than FSU over the past 10 years. UNC has not even been the best team in North Carolina in football over the past 5 years or so. That honor goes to Wake Forest. If the SEC expands to 20, I would take Clemson first over any of the remaining teams and it?s not even close. Next I would take FSU by default, but I would take Oklahoma State, Miami, and VA Tech over UNC.

parabrave
09-29-2023, 01:52 PM
I really don?t understand why people would not want Clemson to join the SEC but would want UNC. Clemson has been the best team in the ACC over the past 10 years. Florida State is good this year, but State and Ole Miss have been better than FSU over the past 10 years. UNC has not even been the best team in North Carolina in football over the past 5 years or so. That honor goes to Wake Forest. If the SEC expands to 20, I would take Clemson first over any of the remaining teams and it?s not even close. Next I would take FSU by default, but I would take Oklahoma State, Miami, and VA Tech over UNC.

it's not how good teams are but TV Markets.

BrunswickDawg
09-29-2023, 01:59 PM

Good! We were put down by the SEC for far too long for us not to start finally reaping some benefit. For 40 plus years we played schedules no other SEC school had to deal with. We played LSU in Louisiana every year from 1931 to 1957. From 1931 to 1973 we only played LSU outside of Louisiana 4 times. That's 38 away games in 42 seasons. From 1932 to 1973 we played Alabama in Alabama 31 times in 41 games. Meanwhile, our in-state rival gets to play Vandy every year and went 3 decades without playing Bama.

Yeah, part of that is on our Administration for rolling over taking it - but I could go 20 years not playing Bama and LSU and feel just fine about MSU.

basedog
09-29-2023, 02:08 PM
Good! We were put down by the SEC for far too long for us not to start finally reaping some benefit. For 40 plus years we played schedules no other SEC school had to deal with. We played LSU in Louisiana every year from 1931 to 1957. From 1931 to 1973 we only played LSU outside of Louisiana 4 times. That's 38 away games in 42 seasons. From 1932 to 1973 we played Alabama in Alabama 31 times in 41 games. Meanwhile, our in-state rival gets to play Vandy every year and went 3 decades without playing Bama.

Yeah, part of that is on our Administration for rolling over taking it - but I could go 20 years not playing Bama and LSU and feel just fine about MSU.

Make this happen Bruins! LOL

PGHBulldogBG
09-29-2023, 02:40 PM
it's not how good teams are but TV Markets.

UNC has a lot of sidewalk basketball fans so their market is probably fairly big. Not sure their numbers for football though because most of those UNC ?fans? are ?fans? of other teams in football.

viverlibre
09-29-2023, 04:17 PM

If you're actually wanting to play LSU and Bama, you're a sadist, but aren't we all as voluntary State fans:cool:

I, for one, am happy not to play them. Bama will have us back on their schedule soon enough.

I'd be happy to permanently replace Bama and LSU with Misery and Vandy.

viverlibre
09-29-2023, 04:23 PM
I found this, no idea it is it accurate or not. Clempson and FSU are high on the list.

College Football viewership by team in the 2022 season. The data is based on views per week:

Team Viewers (in million)
Ohio State 5.80
Alabama 5.11
Michigan 4.37
Tennessee 4.13
Georgia 3.50
N Dame 3.30
LSU 3.22
Texas 3.06
Penn St 3.05
Clemson 2.59
Florida 2.57
Oregon 2.21
TCU 2.20
USC 2.07
FSU 2.03
Nebraska 1.98
Michigan S 1.91
Texas A&M 1.87
Maryland 1.864
Auburn 1.863

BulldogBear
09-29-2023, 05:06 PM
I found this, no idea it is it accurate or not. Clempson and FSU are high on the list.

College Football viewership by team in the 2022 season. The data is based on views per week:

Team Viewers (in million)
Ohio State 5.80
Alabama 5.11
Michigan 4.37
Tennessee 4.13
Georgia 3.50
N Dame 3.30
LSU 3.22
Texas 3.06
Penn St 3.05
Clemson 2.59
Florida 2.57
Oregon 2.21
TCU 2.20
USC 2.07
FSU 2.03
Nebraska 1.98
Michigan S 1.91
Texas A&M 1.87
Maryland 1.864
Auburn 1.863

I'd like to see where Clemson ranks from 1992-2021 Won't even be on that list unless it's 1 or 2 places from the bottom. And that counts the last 5 years.

Lord McBuckethead
09-29-2023, 09:10 PM
And create better conference schedules.

parabrave
09-29-2023, 09:51 PM
That has TCU and Clemson which are two regional fanbase schools ahead of USCw and FSU. Who did that survey Danny Ford and Bob Lilly?

viverlibre
09-29-2023, 10:14 PM
TCU had their best season ever in 2022 with an exciting QB. Clempson's been a thing for a while. Michigan State and Maryland are also surprising.