PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION? did we ever figure out

tcdog70
09-26-2023, 08:15 AM
what a defensive player has to do to re-establish himself back inbounds? also an offensive player?

Johnson85
09-26-2023, 08:42 AM
what a defensive player has to do to re-establish himself back inbounds? also an offensive player?

The only thing I could find was something saying that a player restablishes himself by "being in bounds without another part of his body simultaneously being out of bounds." That is as close as I can recall what I read being. What I read was claiming to be a quote of the rule; I was on my phone and didn't feel like looking for the actual rule book.

If that's the actual wording, the ruling was technically correct as when the player jumped, I think the out of bounds foot did technically leave the ground a millisecond or two before the one in bounds. I feel like that's not what was intended by the rule; his interpretation would mean a player running with one foot in bounds and one out would reestablish himself everytime his inbound foot touches. But on the other hand, it would have been easy to say you reestablish being in bounds by having both feet touch inbounds after the last point at which any part of the body touched out of bounds. If that quote is accurate and there is nothing else, then it seems like just a poorly written rule.

Leroy Jenkins
09-26-2023, 08:46 AM
There is no such thing as a defender being established; they are not eligible receivers. They just have to catch the ball in bounds.

Maverick91
09-26-2023, 08:50 AM
So it seems there are different rules for defense as for offense? Never in my life have I ever heard of such a thing. You would have thought that to be discussed at some point during some game when they were looking at a receiver trying to establish himself inbound. This was stupid and tacky.

Leroy Jenkins
09-26-2023, 08:56 AM
It's pretty simple. Defenders don't have rules for illegal touching. For example, a defensive lineman can intercept a ball, but an O lineman can't catch a pass.

I guess the simplest way to put it is, defenders can't reestablish eligibility, because they never had eligibility to lose. No one on the defense is ineligible.

Maverick91
09-26-2023, 09:59 AM
It's pretty simple. Defenders don't have rules for illegal touching. For example, a defensive lineman can intercept a ball, but an O lineman can't catch a pass.

I guess the simplest way to put it is, defenders can't reestablish eligibility, because they never had eligibility to lose. No one on the defense is ineligible.

I hear you but I have never seen, heard or ever in anyway spoken of from anyone. Just comes across weird.

Leeshouldveflanked
09-26-2023, 10:55 AM
Call was correct. Bad interception on Will.

Ranchdawg
09-26-2023, 01:18 PM
I have a follow up questions. I don?t remember who the receiver on the interception was. But who ever it was from the replays he was out of bounds and just stood there while the South Carolina player adjusted and made the interception. He didn?t even make attempt to catch it or prevent the South Carolina player from intercepting it. Total stupidity

parabrave
09-26-2023, 02:09 PM
Now concerning the Punt coverage guys if they go out of bounds on their own they cannot be the 1st to touch the ball.

Johnson85
09-26-2023, 02:33 PM
Finally bothered to look. This is something claiming to be the NCAA rule book:

Rule 4.2

b. An out-of-bounds player who becomes airborne remains out of bounds
until they touch the ground inbounds without simultaneously being out
of bounds.

https://taso.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/2023-NCAA-Football-Rule-Book.pdf

Leroy Jenkins
09-26-2023, 04:14 PM
Now concerning the Punt coverage guys if they go out of bounds on their own they cannot be the 1st to touch the ball.

If it's after the kick, they are on defense..... I think. Because, when there is a penalty on punt coverage they consider it post-possession.