PDA

View Full Version : Overlooked problem nobody seems to talking about in football - OL.....

Goat Holder
04-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Not for next year or the year after......the OL will actually be a strength this year and next. But in 2015 it's looking a little scary if the path we're taking now continues into tomorrow. Justin Malone will be the lone Sr. and Justin Senior will be a Jr. Those are our only known commodities at this time (evidence for Senior is that he's on the 2-deep). Things could certainly change, but we don't know if Desper and Carter can play at this time. Same with Clayborn, Thomas and Flowers from the most recent class. Still that's only 4 upperclassmen in 2015 assuming the freshmen redshirt which they will, with our current depth. Yeah we have some walk-ons but I'm not counting them. The one walk-on who has proven he can play is Beckwith, and he'll be a Sr. in 2014.

The defections (for whatever reason) of Lawson, Knox and Maiden are killing us in that regard. Not that they can or can't play, that's just 3 OL spots we don't have. Even if we sign 4-5 OLs in this 2014 class, they will still be at best true Jrs. or RSo. in 2015. I guess that's OK for backups, but like I said, the guys before them haven't proven they can play. Looks like we better get lucky with the guys we have or we better be hitting up the JUCO ranks early this year and next for OL.

Let's face it, MSU + OL issues = 3-9. Remember, 2015 is when we go to Hattiesburg for the next 20 years of imaginary bragging rights....we really need to be able to run over them.

Homedawg
04-22-2013, 11:56 AM
We will sign 2 jucos this year. Just better be good ones. Can't afford to miss on them for the reasons you stated.

BeastMan
04-22-2013, 12:02 PM
I think Desper is going to be really good at C. As a whole you are right. Don't have much room to miss on guys right now

Coach34
04-22-2013, 12:03 PM
OL guys need to be ready to go by their 3rd season. Thomas and Flowers cant be busts- they HAVE to be players we can depend on. And yes, we will be bringing in at least 1 juco in this Feb's signing class

Goat Holder
04-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Another reason the Mix miss was hard to swallow. For whatever reason it was. Point is, we needed another OL or two in this class.

Rick Danko
04-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Also why it blew my mind we did not go harder after the Fraser kid. Pretty sure we could have had him pretty easily and from camp notes last year, he seemed to be a tough mean player, just what you need on the line. Guess we will never know what it was Hevesy or Mullen didn't like about him.

WutheringDawg
04-22-2013, 12:59 PM
We haven't truly had an above average SEC linebacker since Chris White left.

Big4Dawg
04-22-2013, 01:49 PM
We haven't truly had an above average SEC linebacker since Chris White left.

Lawrence and Mckinney are both above average.

BeastMan
04-22-2013, 02:03 PM
I wanted Mix for 2 reasons: size and where he went to school. I honestly don't think he's very good and Auburn had spots and Melvin made a play. I would have liked a push at Fraser also. Time will tell on mix but I don't think he was our OL savior by any means