PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Concept

Tater
09-24-2023, 04:56 PM
So, we finally saw what people have been begging for for a while. Will Rogers slinging the rock. The play designs are there. Will has enough arm strength to make the throws that he would make in almost 2 years. We know what works and what doesn't.

What works:
- Will taking 5 step drops and trusting his stud WRs to go make a play 1 on 1.
- Play action
- Throws with more than 10 air yards if we block for 2 seconds.

What doesn't work:
- The Mike Wright play designs. Seriously, last night was atrocious. Even the TD was just him being a playmaker making a play. I think if we had let him run the same PA play we hit Tulu on like 3 times instead of whatever it was that got him blown up, it would open up everything else. I'm not sure if he's got the deep ball accuracy to do that. But if he's only going to be a runner, then we need different concepts. You can't run east/west all the time when the defense knows you're only going to run and disrespects the pass. We need HB a step back and read option with either Woody running downhill into the line or Mike pulling and keeping based on edge read. Then we need jet sweep motion with Mike running downhill on snap. Only pop it to the sweep with certain defense alignment. Other than that, if you're not throwing with Mike then you have no use for any other RPO concepts. Safeties and Corners will just contain the outside and prevent his speed from being anything. It's not working.

- Run blocking in general. This OL ain't doing well right now. Leave the "wait for a hole to develop" runs at the door. Have Woody run downhill to a spot until the OL can effectively zone block. Woody is best falling forward with momentum, not standing up and dancing. Help him, we didn't last night.

- 3rd and Medium pass plays. SCar ate our lunch and won the game on this last night (if you ignore officiating which we are for this exercise). Will Rogers is not tall. Will Rogers struggles getting the ball over the line and on a rope in the 0-10 yard downfield range. When SCar can rush 3/4 and tell DLine to maintain lane integrity and just play to swat, and it works several times over, call something else other than a quick pop pass. This was something that would rear its head every so often under Leach, but Will adjusted to throwing check downs to prevent them. Figure something else out. The easy counter is the 15-20 yard pass because the DLine will be blocked for a while. Screens won't work cause they're slow rushing it.

- Defense in general. Brock is looking to join the 1 and done DC fraternity. We're passed Grantham and approaching Sirmon levels of bad. Thank goodness for Jett and Watson trying. They aren't being utilized right but their effort as the heart of the defense helps us. Pickering started to show a little bit. We need more from him.

In short, I'm more pissed about the LSU offensive performance now, knowing that Will isn't harboring some shoulder injury and just didn't uncork a few.

Coach34
09-24-2023, 05:04 PM
We are running Arnett’s D and he is heavily involved

BuckyIsAB****
09-24-2023, 05:12 PM
The batted balls are very much on the OL too. You have to get their hands down

Todd4State
09-24-2023, 05:16 PM
So in other words we should be throwing the ball more than running it. Which I agree with.

Really Clark?
09-24-2023, 05:28 PM
So in other words we should be throwing the ball more than running it. Which I agree with.

We started throwing the ball a lot more against LSU, even to start the game. It's not just throwing more, it's calling what they can execute and the players executing what is called.

DownwardDawg
09-24-2023, 06:14 PM
We started throwing the ball a lot more against LSU, even to start the game. It's not just throwing more, it's calling what they can execute and the players executing what is called.

^^^ This^^^

Tater
09-24-2023, 06:25 PM
The batted balls are very much on the OL too. You have to get their hands down

Dude I didn't even throw Will under the bus and put that more on coaching. And you still gotta try to throw other players down to prop your boy up. Cmon now Bucky.

Tater
09-24-2023, 07:35 PM
We are running Arnett’s D and he is heavily involved

And he'll have to find someone else to steer the ship.

Give up 40 points with 4+ bomb TDs on Thanksgiving night and Brock won't be able to show his face in Starkville.

Tater
09-24-2023, 07:39 PM

Should simplify the run concepts because the ones that require us to think are getting blown up. We're not mentally there as a team to run them.

Idk if I think a certain balance is necessary. I'm more saying, simplify the playbook and get more complex as the season goes along. We started too complex. Especially for a team used to running no more than 20 plays.

Cooterpoot
09-24-2023, 08:19 PM
Hard to say what we are on offense still. We played one of the worst defenses in America last night. Let's see this week.

Really Clark?
09-24-2023, 08:28 PM
Hard to say what we are on offense still. We played one of the worst defenses in America last night. Let's see this week.

Are they? I don't think they will be great but I think they end up average nationally when it's said and done. 2 of their first 4 games were against Georgia (14th in scoring) and North Carolina (34th in scoring) and held both to below their average as it stands today. We will see.

Cooterpoot
09-24-2023, 08:34 PM
They're 120 in the country. They're really bad. Georgia is crazy overrated too IMO.

CaptainObvious
09-24-2023, 08:53 PM
So, we finally saw what people have been begging for for a while. Will Rogers slinging the rock. The play designs are there. Will has enough arm strength to make the throws that he would make in almost 2 years. We know what works and what doesn't.

What works:
- Will taking 5 step drops and trusting his stud WRs to go make a play 1 on 1.
- Play action
- Throws with more than 10 air yards if we block for 2 seconds.

What doesn't work:
- The Mike Wright play designs. Seriously, last night was atrocious. Even the TD was just him being a playmaker making a play. I think if we had let him run the same PA play we hit Tulu on like 3 times instead of whatever it was that got him blown up, it would open up everything else. I'm not sure if he's got the deep ball accuracy to do that. But if he's only going to be a runner, then we need different concepts. You can't run east/west all the time when the defense knows you're only going to run and disrespects the pass. We need HB a step back and read option with either Woody running downhill into the line or Mike pulling and keeping based on edge read. Then we need jet sweep motion with Mike running downhill on snap. Only pop it to the sweep with certain defense alignment. Other than that, if you're not throwing with Mike then you have no use for any other RPO concepts. Safeties and Corners will just contain the outside and prevent his speed from being anything. It's not working.

- Run blocking in general. This OL ain't doing well right now. Leave the "wait for a hole to develop" runs at the door. Have Woody run downhill to a spot until the OL can effectively zone block. Woody is best falling forward with momentum, not standing up and dancing. Help him, we didn't last night.

- 3rd and Medium pass plays. SCar ate our lunch and won the game on this last night (if you ignore officiating which we are for this exercise). Will Rogers is not tall. Will Rogers struggles getting the ball over the line and on a rope in the 0-10 yard downfield range. When SCar can rush 3/4 and tell DLine to maintain lane integrity and just play to swat, and it works several times over, call something else other than a quick pop pass. This was something that would rear its head every so often under Leach, but Will adjusted to throwing check downs to prevent them. Figure something else out. The easy counter is the 15-20 yard pass because the DLine will be blocked for a while. Screens won't work cause they're slow rushing it.

- Defense in general. Brock is looking to join the 1 and done DC fraternity. We're passed Grantham and approaching Sirmon levels of bad. Thank goodness for Jett and Watson trying. They aren't being utilized right but their effort as the heart of the defense helps us. Pickering started to show a little bit. We need more from him.

In short, I'm more pissed about the LSU offensive performance now, knowing that Will isn't harboring some shoulder injury and just didn't uncork a few.

You had me right up until <play action>. Play action requires Will to turn his back to the defense. He is a shotgun, 3 steps drop back QB and with time and good route running or open grass stop patterns he is excellent. He also hit Tulu and Zavion in stride several times.

maroonmania
09-24-2023, 08:57 PM
Our pass D after 4 games (which includes one game against SE Louisiana) is historically bad. Currently we are:

- 125th out of 135 teams in opponents passing yards per game
- 131st out of 135 teams in opponent completions per game and
- 135th out of 135 teams in opponent completion percentages

Matt Brock is currently making Peter Sirmon look like a competent DC.

Coach34
09-24-2023, 09:13 PM
Our pass D after 4 games (which includes one game against SE Louisiana) is historically bad. Currently we are:

Matt Brock is currently making Peter Sirmon look like a competent DC.

This is Arnett's Defense

Tater
09-24-2023, 09:20 PM
You had me right up until <play action>. Play action requires Will to turn his back to the defense. He is a shotgun, 3 steps drop back QB and with time and good route running or open grass stop patterns he is excellent. He also hit Tulu and Zavion in stride several times.

Did you watch the game at all last night just curious no judgment.

Commercecomet24
09-24-2023, 09:44 PM
Did you watch the game at all last night just curious no judgment.

The majority of our big pass plays came on play action last night. Sc sold out to stuff the run and they bit on every play action.

Really Clark?
09-24-2023, 09:55 PM
They're 120 in the country. They're really bad. Georgia is crazy overrated too IMO.

I was going by scoring defense, they are 84th. I just think by the end of the season they end up average or a little below after they play some weak teams. Not good but not the worse defense we will see. We will find out.

maroonmania
09-24-2023, 10:08 PM
This is Arnett's Defense

Well I doubt anyone is wanting to claim ownership of this defense at the moment.

BuckyIsAB****
09-24-2023, 10:55 PM
Dude I didn't even throw Will under the bus and put that more on coaching. And you still gotta try to throw other players down to prop your boy up. Cmon now Bucky.

Uh no? I just simply said that batted balls at the LOS is an OL issue. Im not propping anyone up

preachermatt83
09-24-2023, 11:02 PM
Grantham was very good for us. Putting him in the same sentence with sirmon caused me to stop reading.