PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Thoughts-Peter Sirmon Edition

StarkVegasSteve
09-24-2023, 10:37 AM
As usual I took my time to stew, cuss, and just be pissed off for about 30 minutes after the game. So here we go:

1. Extremely proud of Will. He could have moped and sulked after being openly hated by the fan base all week AND THEN getting down 14-0 but he got up off the mat and made some major throws for us to get us back in the ballgame and at least give us a shot. He still made some bad plays too(the INT that was not and having the ball punched out on the goal line) but overall a really good performance.

2. That is what happens when you let Tulu be Tulu. Just get him the ball and watch things happen. He is the most electric MSU player in my lifetime.

3. In the words of Nick Saban, our defense cannot stop s*** running through a tin horn. This defense is 10x worse than the Sirmon defense. At least Sirmon had a young Jeffrey Simmons. Arnett needs to take back the playcalling on defense.

4. Matt Brock needs to be fired or be demoted to positional coach. He just does not have the chops to be a DC and we do not have the talent to mask his deficiencies as a play caller.

5. On the flip side, I thought Barbay called a pretty good game. The Mike Wright reverse pivot play after we got the turnover was an awful call and he had a few more bad ones sprinkled in, but we were Air Raid for the most part, which is what they were giving us.

6. Their stadium atmosphere makes us look like an FCS program. The lights and sound system are constantly going and their fans are engaged and standing from pregame to postgame. Ours cannot be bothered to stand for a TD.

7. This season is not lost but 6 wins is just about the ceiling. 7 would be great and 8 would be a miracle.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-24-2023, 10:57 AM
Will played great, Barbay leaned into what was working (though our inability to run and fact we were down big made "pass it" a pretty easy decision). Still played bad TE's way too much. OL still sucks though. We won't be able to run it on anyone the way they're blocking.

Defense has no speed, not really anything that can be done this season. Nee to recruit better long term and hit the Portal for '24.

As you say the stadium atmosphere was night and day. SC was like 2017 Bama. We are a deflated balloon of a program

I think it's 50/50 we go 5-7, 50/50 we go 6-6. Hard to believe we won't take one of Arky, Auburn, UK, or OM. But it's also hard to believe we'll take more than 2.

StarkVegasSteve
09-24-2023, 11:09 AM
Will played great, Barbay leaned into what was working (though our inability to run and fact we were down big made "pass it" a pretty easy decision). Still played bad TE's way too much. OL still sucks though. We won't be able to run it on anyone the way they're blocking.

Defense has no speed, not really anything that can be done this season. Nee to recruit better long term and hit the Portal for '24.

As you say the stadium atmosphere was night and day. SC was like 2017 Bama. We are a deflated balloon of a program

I think it's 50/50 we go 5-7, 50/50 we go 6-6. Hard to believe we won't take one of Arky, Auburn, UK, or OM. But it's also hard to believe we'll take more than 2.

Forgot to add that. Goede is the biggest waste of a scholarship we have had since the Croom era

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-24-2023, 11:17 AM
Forgot to add that. Goede is the biggest waste of a scholarship we have had since the Croom era

I mean I'm sure there's worse players in our 85, they just don't see the field. And neither should Goede. Want to go run heavy? Bring in the the Fr OL. Want to air it out? Bring in a 4th WR. Want to have a TE but also have them catch a pass? Harman. 88 should never see the field unless hes good at ST

Todd4State
09-24-2023, 11:27 AM
I mean I'm sure there's worse players in our 85, they just don't see the field. And neither should Goede. Want to go run heavy? Bring in the the Fr OL. Want to air it out? Bring in a 4th WR. Want to have a TE but also have them catch a pass? Harman. 88 should never see the field unless hes good at ST

The coaches make it so difficult.

StarkVegasSteve
09-24-2023, 11:36 AM
The coaches make it so difficult.

Spivey being ruled ineligible made things 100x more difficult as well.

Commercecomet24
09-24-2023, 11:40 AM
Delete wrong thread

confucius say
09-24-2023, 11:45 AM
They have one explosive guy on offense. One.
And we gave up two 75 yard TDs to him.

Our defensive game planning sucks. If you're going to play bend don't break then commit to it. Don't leave their only explosive guy manned up with no safety help over tip. Just dumb.

We lack talent defensively too. Bad. When you have to spell 44 or 14, do it with one of the young talented LB. Not page.

91 needs 9's reps from here out. Let 9 spell him.
Getting dinkins back will help.

StarkVegasSteve
09-24-2023, 11:51 AM

Our defensive game planning sucks. If you're going to play bend don't break then commit to it. Don't leave their only explosive guy manned up with no safety help over tip. Just dumb.

We lack talent defensively too. Bad. When you have to spell 44 or 14, do it with one of the young talented LB. Not page.

We gave up a 98 yd TD drive followed by a 99 yd TD drive to start the first half and then let them hit a one play 75 yd TD to open the second half. That alone should get Brock stripped of playcalling duties if not fired immediately. Defensively we are by far the worst team in the league. 44 and 14 are good football players but they are slow. 0 is quick but cannot tackle. Our D line cannot get a consistent push. I think Anderson could be great and agree that we need to be giving him as many snaps as possible. Our backend is worse than it was in 2020 when Landon Guidry was having to play meaningful snaps. As I said, we are worse than Sirmon and do not have the luxury of a future NFL superstar on the line maturing every week.

BlackSailsDawg
09-24-2023, 01:09 PM
1- He did have a few bad plays, that's going to happen with anybody. On the INT, not sure what he saw, but he was gunning for the endzone. If that was not a pick a TD could have happened.

2- And with the run threat, we can keep that happening so long as he does not revert to forcing a square peg into a hole. We had plenty of people that won their routes. Mosley included. Just gotta catch the ball.

3- YEP!

4- YEP! I will say this, Preston was impressive once back on the field. I do believe he could have been the difference maker in stopping their run game.

5- Like you said, he changed to what we do well UNTIL the end of the game. We went again to schemes where the WRs were confused on their routes. I'm fine with that once they LEARN IT. scratch all of it except for 2 to 3. Perfect those. It would be another way to keep teams out of the 3 and drop 8.

6- We have work to do to improve our environment. We have to have a SET the STANDARD attitude on that.

7- Even if you count Bama as a loss, We have Western Michigan and that will put us at 3-3 going into the by week. Every game left is winnable if we keep this change on Offense and we find any kind of a pulse on defense.

BlackSailsDawg
09-24-2023, 01:14 PM

Remember, Preston was out in the first half. And that's a massive difference.

confucius say
09-24-2023, 01:22 PM
Remember, Preston was out in the first half. And that's a massive difference.

Well none of those was second half. Where we had man coverage and no safety over the top of 17.

Two weeks in a row we let the one guy on the opponent who you can't let beat you beat you (nabors last week). It's just bad game planning. Take something away and make somebody else beat you. Commit to something. ZA said our game plan was bend but don't break. Fine. You can beat in man coverage over the top with no safety help then. Dumb.

BlackSailsDawg
09-24-2023, 01:27 PM
Well none of those was second half. Where we had man coverage and no safety over the top of 17.

Two weeks in a row we let the one guy on the opponent who you can't let beat you beat you (nabors last week). It's just bad game planning. Take something away and make somebody else beat you. Commit to something. ZA said our game plan was bend but don't break. Fine. You can beat in man coverage over the top with no safety help then. Dumb.

One 75 yarder was the very first play of the 3rd quarter, but from that first play on they only scored 10 more points.

ZA has to wake up and intervene.

confucius say
09-24-2023, 01:31 PM
One 75 yarder was the very first play of the 3rd quarter, but from that first play on they only scored 10 more points.

ZA has to wake up and intervene.

Yea, meant to type one of those was second half. Not none.

civildawg
09-24-2023, 01:35 PM
On number 6, I'm really starting to doubt selmon as AD because of how bad our atmosphere has been. He'll ultimately be graded on hires but the other stuff isn't pretty

Mjoelner34
09-24-2023, 03:36 PM
6- We have work to do to improve our environment. We have to have a SET the STANDARD attitude on that.

You mean you don't like the same 'bad to the bone' entrance we've been doing since the mid 80's, the absolutely nauseating, mood-killing forced maroon and white cheer or the mumbling, repetitive, monotone rap we continuously play? C'mon man!**

StarkVegasSteve
09-24-2023, 04:23 PM
You mean you don't like the same 'bad to the bone' entrance we've been doing since the mid 80's, the absolutely nauseating, mood-killing forced maroon and white cheer or the mumbling, repetitive, monotone rap we continuously play? C'mon man!**

South Carolina did the same chants, the same rap music, and have had the same entrance since the early 2000s. The difference is that their fans give a shit. They stand the whole game, they are into the game, and they do not just sit on their ass and complain anytime someone stands up like our entire west side does.

TheLostDawg
09-24-2023, 04:51 PM
Yeah we need stadium seating lower section, New lighting and get rid of the south ez. Of course the SEZ can wait but needs to be done. With all this money we've made and saved, we should be able to do it especially with the new tv money. That is unless we've over spent on these other projects

LC Dawg
09-24-2023, 04:52 PM
South Carolina did the same chants, the same rap music, and have had the same entrance since the early 2000s. The difference is that their fans give a shit. They stand the whole game, they are into the game, and they do not just sit on their ass and complain anytime someone stands up like our entire west side does.

Same on the east side. It's infuriating.
Most of our section (19) will stand when the team runs out but will be sitting before the team is on the sideline. And few are standing for the opponent's first offensive play.
They'll complain if I stand but won't complain if a Bama or LSU fan stands directly in front of them. And when I say something to the Bama or LSU (or any school) fan they tell me "We (State fans) don't act that way".
The absolute worst was when I swapped tickets with family and sat in the faculty section which is a whole other story.

KB21
09-24-2023, 05:22 PM
The defense has finishing issues. This game was very reminiscent of last year?s Kentucky game. They gave up 150 yards on 2 plays yesterday. Both were TDs. Against Kentucky, there were 11 plays that Kentucky gained 275 yards on.

The difference is that last year, they bent but didn?t break. This year, they couldn?t get off the field on third down.

StarkVegasSteve
09-24-2023, 07:28 PM
Same on the east side. It's infuriating.
Most of our section (19) will stand when the team runs out but will be sitting before the team is on the sideline. And few are standing for the opponent's first offensive play.
They'll complain if I stand but won't complain if a Bama or LSU fan stands directly in front of them. And when I say something to the Bama or LSU (or any school) fan they tell me "We (State fans) don't act that way".
The absolute worst was when I swapped tickets with family and sat in the faculty section which is a whole other story.

Oh it goes back to the LFL thing. They will race to give an LSU/Vandy/OM fan a catered meal but would not piss on a State fan if they were on fire.

Todd4State
09-25-2023, 01:11 AM

How much impact would he really have other than as a blocker?

Todd4State
09-25-2023, 01:14 AM
On number 6, I'm really starting to doubt selmon as AD because of how bad our atmosphere has been. He'll ultimately be graded on hires but the other stuff isn't pretty

I'm willing to give him a pass on that this year. It's his first year and my expectation is that he take inventory of what needs to be fixed and correct it in 2024.

preachermatt83
09-25-2023, 02:15 AM

I agree?. Our te group is absolutely atrocious right now

preachermatt83
09-25-2023, 02:18 AM
As usual I took my time to stew, cuss, and just be pissed off for about 30 minutes after the game. So here we go:

1. Extremely proud of Will. He could have moped and sulked after being openly hated by the fan base all week AND THEN getting down 14-0 but he got up off the mat and made some major throws for us to get us back in the ballgame and at least give us a shot. He still made some bad plays too(the INT that was not and having the ball punched out on the goal line) but overall a really good performance.

2. That is what happens when you let Tulu be Tulu. Just get him the ball and watch things happen. He is the most electric MSU player in my lifetime.

3. In the words of Nick Saban, our defense cannot stop s*** running through a tin horn. This defense is 10x worse than the Sirmon defense. At least Sirmon had a young Jeffrey Simmons. Arnett needs to take back the playcalling on defense.

4. Matt Brock needs to be fired or be demoted to positional coach. He just does not have the chops to be a DC and we do not have the talent to mask his deficiencies as a play caller.

5. On the flip side, I thought Barbay called a pretty good game. The Mike Wright reverse pivot play after we got the turnover was an awful call and he had a few more bad ones sprinkled in, but we were Air Raid for the most part, which is what they were giving us.

6. Their stadium atmosphere makes us look like an FCS program. The lights and sound system are constantly going and their fans are engaged and standing from pregame to postgame. Ours cannot be bothered to stand for a TD.

7. This season is not lost but 6 wins is just about the ceiling. 7 would be great and 8 would be a miracle.

You absolutely nailed #2 and #4 for sure