PDA

View Full Version : SEC main office

Lord McBuckethead
09-24-2023, 09:48 AM
So yesterday they shorted Bama an entire down and they let a player clearly out of bounds intercept a ball on the one and then give them the ball on the 2 for some reason.

Do they even acknowledge they 17d up this time or basically tell us to F off?

Quaoarsking
09-24-2023, 10:04 AM
It's pretty ridiculous that conferences are allowed to have their own sets of referees in the first place. It should just be one set of FBS (or power 5) referees that answer only to the NCAA. (Wait that may not be any better.)

BuckyIsAB****
09-24-2023, 10:56 AM
There was 2 controversial calls in the game and they both went against us. It does make you wonder

confucius say
09-24-2023, 11:03 AM
Apparently the call on the interception was the right call. Weird rule.

The fumble call was horrid. Will's hand clearly moved before the ball moved. It wasn't even that close.

Commercecomet24
09-24-2023, 11:08 AM
Multi billion dollar industry and they can?t hire full time officials and have regular crews without conference affiliations? Smh

Pancho
09-24-2023, 11:50 AM
they seem like liberals trying to count votes

DownwardDawg
09-24-2023, 11:57 AM

The fumble call was horrid. Will's hand clearly moved before the ball moved. It wasn't even that close.

It's amazing how differently we all see things. Which is what makes the world so cool. It was so obvious a fumble to me, I immediately sunk my head when I saw the replay and said "Oh, it's clearly a fumble".

Mjoelner34
09-24-2023, 01:29 PM

Nope. It wasn't the right call.

Article 8 — Illegal Participation
It is illegal for a player of either team to go Out of Bounds, without contact with an opponent, and return to the field and participate in that play.

Notice the part in bold. If he went out without contact, then its a penalty on him for illegal participation. If he went out with contact, then it's pass interference or holding on him. There is no 're-establish' yourself part to that rule.

confucius say
09-24-2023, 01:36 PM
Nope. It wasn't the right call.

Article 8 ? Illegal Participation
It is illegal for a player of either team to go Out of Bounds, without contact with an opponent, and return to the field and participate in that play.

Notice the part in bold. If he went out without contact, then it's a penalty on him for illegal participation. If he went out with contact, then it's pass interference or holding on him. There is no 're-establish' yourself part to that rule.

Interesting. Link?

confucius say
09-24-2023, 01:47 PM
It's amazing how differently we all see things. Which is what makes the world so cool. It was so obvious a fumble to me, I immediately sunk my head when I saw the replay and said "Oh, it's clearly a fumble".

Most people look to see forward movement of the hand once the hand is supinated (hand is facing up or forward). But the rule doesn't say that. It says any forward movement, which would include while the hand is pronated (facing down or back). His hand clearly moved in the downfield direction while it was pronated. The ball was not knocked loose until his hand was supinated.

ETA: watching it again in slow motion, it's not even close. His hand moves at least two feet from the behind his body all the way to his shoulder before he's hit. But the entire time his hand is pronated. He's hit just as his hand turns from being pronated to supinated.

Commercecomet24
09-24-2023, 01:58 PM
Most people look to see forward movement of the hand once the hand is supinated (hand is facing up or forward). But the rule doesn't say that. It says any forward movement, which would include while the hand is pronated (facing down or back). His hand clearly moved in the downfield direction while it was pronated. The ball was not knocked loose until his hand was supinated.

ETA: watching it again in slow motion, it's not even close. His hand moves at least two feet from the behind his body all the way to his shoulder before he's hit. But the entire time his hand is pronated. He's hit just as his hand turns from being pronated to supinated.

This.

Really Clark?
09-24-2023, 02:03 PM
I could live with the fumble call but the re-established call and miss on replay...horrible that the officials and replay made that call. Horrible

confucius say
09-24-2023, 02:05 PM
This.

The rule says "any intentional forward movement of the passer's hand with the ball firmly in their control starts the forward pass unless the player clearly starts to bring the ball back with firm control"

It wasn't even close. Whomever was reviewing that should be fired today.

Commercecomet24
09-24-2023, 02:07 PM
The rule says "any intentional forward movement of the passer's hand with the ball firmly in their control starts the forward pass unless the player clearly starts to bring the ball back with firm control"

It wasn't even close. Whomever was reviewing that should be fired today.

They blew that one bad. The movement was definitely forward with the ball in control.

viverlibre
09-24-2023, 02:11 PM
To play the other side, they missed an obvious PI call on us as USCe was in the red zone.

I can live with the fumble call, but not the out of bounds int call.

Mjoelner34
09-24-2023, 02:28 PM
Interesting. Link?

Oops! Damn Google! I googled NCAA football rules and it returned CFL rules.

Here is the 2022 NCAA book. Skip to the bottom of page 84. Strange that it doesn't mention the defensive guy being out of bounds but I assume these rules cover players on both sides of the ball.
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR22.pdf

Commercecomet24
09-24-2023, 02:31 PM
I could live with the fumble call but the re-established call and miss on replay...horrible that the officials and replay made that call. Horrible

Yeah that was a huge play in the game. Took away our momentum and cost us points

DawgFromOxford
09-24-2023, 04:16 PM
Oops! Damn Google! I googled NCAA football rules and it returned CFL rules.

Here is the 2022 NCAA book. Skip to the bottom of page 84. Strange that it doesn't mention the defensive guy being out of bounds but I assume these rules cover players on both sides of the ball.
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR22.pdf

Based on my reading/understanding, there's no rules for the defensive player going out of bounds and having to reestablish himself in the field. Seems like a defensive player could leap from out of bounds with both feet out as long as 1 foot lands in bounds when catching the ball unless I'm missing something. Which would mean the call in the game was the right call if I'm understanding this correctly

MetEdDawg
09-24-2023, 04:21 PM

This. I don't get our folks being upset about this. It's possible to throw something forward and not have control of it. His fingers weren't gripping the ball and it was spinning in his hand. Doesn't matter how it came out. It was not in his control when it went forward.

Interception was the same. The SC guy reestablished his right foot barely after his left foot, which was out of bounds, came up off the ground. It's a pick.

These are close calls, but they are the right calls.

Dawgology
09-24-2023, 04:26 PM
This. I don't get our folks being upset about this. It's possible to throw something forward and not have control of it. His fingers weren't gripping the ball and it was spinning in his hand. Doesn't matter how it came out. It was not in his control when it went forward.

Interception was the same. The SC guy reestablished his right foot barely after his left foot, which was out of bounds, came up off the ground. It's a pick.

These are close calls, but they are the right calls.
Was he pushed out of bounds or did he run out of bounds on his own. Huge difference in the rules.

SailingDawg
09-24-2023, 04:28 PM

Do only liberals count votes? I thought they were elected county officials and their staff!? What?s the reasoning for your comment? I bet the liberals counting votes in Mississippi won?t bother you.

R2Dawg
09-24-2023, 04:51 PM
They blew that one bad. The movement was definitely forward with the ball in control.

Yes they did. You'd have to defy physics for that not to be a pass. The ball went 15+ yards downfield in a wounded duck spiral. That is a forward pass. The defender slapping down ball could have never been shot downfield. Ridiculous call.

The other int call was just as bad. Defender was making the play from out of bounds to int the ball. The intent of that rule is if he came back in ran around then made an int. Just total ineptness and corruption by SEC office. We are the sacrificial lamb this year because we got a rookie coach. Total BS. But when you are MSU what do you expect.

Bothrops
09-24-2023, 05:53 PM

Very similar people

Pancho
09-25-2023, 05:35 AM
Do only liberals count votes? I thought they were elected county officials and their staff!? What?s the reasoning for your comment? I bet the liberals counting votes in Mississippi won?t bother you.

SEC office appears to make things up as they go to cater to the leagues national appearance regardless of how ridiculous the call looks to the average fan. What is the reasoning for the comment on whether liberals counting votes in MS? thx in advance

louisvilledawg
09-25-2023, 10:02 AM

I agree with you. Was watching with some buddies and everybody except one was like "yeah, that's a fumble."

On the intereception, i would love to know the actual rules because he didn't ever establish his left foot. The call was confirmed so I would like to know the rules for myself.

ScoobaDawg
09-25-2023, 10:06 AM
SEC office appears to make things up as they go to cater to the leagues national appearance regardless of how ridiculous the call looks to the average fan. What is the reasoning for the comment on whether liberals counting votes in MS? thx in advance

Because YOU decided to insert a political comment. So what was your purpose of the comment other than TRYING to stire the pot? don't do that . k?
THX in advance...

DawgFromOxford
09-25-2023, 10:44 AM
Based on my reading and understanding, there's no rules about a defender leaving the field of play and having to reestablish himself. As long as the defender lands inbounds with one foot he can go wherever he wants to before that which seems dumb but I couldn't find any rules about defenders going out of bounds, just offensive players.

msstate7
09-25-2023, 11:11 AM
It was a fumble for sure

Lord McBuckethead
09-25-2023, 11:12 AM
Multi billion dollar industry and they can?t hire full time officials and have regular crews without conference affiliations? Smh

Anytime someone gets good, the NFL takes them. Direct from Sankey

Lord McBuckethead
09-25-2023, 11:14 AM
And again, sounds like republicans can?t understand the count is actually correct and just feel like they deserve to be right.

TUSK
09-25-2023, 11:27 AM
I am in....

Really Clark?
09-25-2023, 04:11 PM
Based on my reading and understanding, there's no rules about a defender leaving the field of play and having to reestablish himself. As long as the defender lands inbounds with one foot he can go wherever he wants to before that which seems dumb but I couldn't find any rules about defenders going out of bounds, just offensive players.

"A player who has been out of bounds re-establishes himself as an inbounds player when both feet, or any part of his body other than his hands, touch the ground within the boundary lines, provided that no part of his body is touching a boundary line or anything other than a player, an official, or a pylon on or outside."

He didn't have both feet in to re-establish himself.

confucius say
09-25-2023, 06:32 PM
It was a fumble for sure

No. Y'all are focusing on hand movement once his hand was supinated. His hand moved forward while his hand was still pronated, well before he was even hit. A qb's hand begins the forward movement before his hand ever rotates from pronation to supination

lastmajordog
09-25-2023, 06:38 PM
I think they also got called for offensive holding......I truly can/t remember that EVER being called playing against the ?DOGS?,....and I?m old.....End of times must be near!!!!

DownwardDawg
09-25-2023, 06:44 PM
No. Y'all are focusing on hand movement once his hand was supinated. His hand moved forward while his hand was still pronated, well before he was even hit. A qb's hand begins the forward movement before his hand ever rotates from pronation to supination

I just watched it again. Over and over. It was clearly a fumble.
If y'all don't think that was a fumble, I don't know what to tell you because that will be called a fumble every single time.
The ball was loose before his hand ever started moving forward.

Pancho
09-25-2023, 06:46 PM
Because YOU decided to insert a political comment. So what was your purpose of the comment other than TRYING to stire the pot? don't do that . k?
THX in advance...

I as raised to speak my opinion and back it up. I am very sorry we have soft folks but we dam sure do. you are welcome

confucius say
09-26-2023, 09:28 AM
If y'all don't think that was a fumble, I don't know what to tell you because that will be called a fumble every single time.

Which way is his palm facing when the ball becomes loose? Keep in mind the rule says what the hand does is all that matters per the rule. The arm is irrelevant. It can actually even be going backwards as long as the hand itself moves/rotates/slides forward intentionally.

Thick
09-26-2023, 09:41 AM
I as raised to speak my opinion and back it up. I am very sorry we have soft folks but we dam sure do. you are welcome

It?s damn, not dam.

Johnson85
09-26-2023, 10:01 AM

I think we essentially got penalized for Will's windup throwing motion on that call. Ball was pointed sideways when he was moving forward and the lazy ass replay official apparently assumed that was because it had already been knocked out of his control not realizing that's his throwing motion.

Johnson85
09-26-2023, 10:07 AM

If you think it was clearly a fumble, then you must be thinking that the ball has to be in control when he finished his throw. Watch this video and pay attention from the 3 to 4 second mark and the 33 to 34 second mark. Look at the change in position of will's shoulder's between the time you can see the defender's hand and the time you can't. It would take a hell of a move by Will to keep his hand from going forward when turning his shoulders that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCbF9OXxP8

Will didn't overpower a defensive lineman that got to him before he started him forward movement and managed to will the ball down field 10 yds. He was starting to move forward before he got hit. Just barely, but barely counts under the rule.

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2023, 10:16 AM
If you think it was clearly a fumble, then you must be thinking that the ball has to be in control when he finished his throw. Watch this video and pay attention from the 3 to 4 second mark and the 33 to 34 second mark. Look at the change in position of will's shoulder's between the time you can see the defender's hand and the time you can't. It would take a hell of a move by Will to keep his hand from going forward when turning his shoulders that much.

Will didn't overpower a defensive lineman that got to him before he started him forward movement and managed to will the ball down field 10 yds. He was starting to move forward before he got hit. Just barely, but barely counts under the rule.

Another great piece in that video is as Will is starting his throwing motion, you can clearly see #6 for USC pulling the back of Zavion's jersey from behind. It didn't impact the play, but he was clearly being held by a defender he was about to beat on a route.

Commercecomet24
09-26-2023, 10:26 AM

It's even more clear from th :50 - :52 second mark. His arm clearly moves forward with the football in control.

ScoobaDawg
09-26-2023, 02:43 PM

You can speak your opinion all you want. Just keep politics out of it. It's a simple rule.

Pancho
09-26-2023, 06:42 PM
oooh my.......It was a sarcastic remark dude. I'll add the ****** next time to be clear.

RisperDawg
09-26-2023, 09:54 PM

God knows, I'm sick now. Lol. I said it was too close to call when it happened. Watching it four ways here, it's obvious it was a pass. "Ole Noodle Arm" even powers through the defender's touch to move the ball forward. It's being launched from his hand, clearly, from several different viewing angles. Must be nice to have a high paying job with little accountability.

confucius say
09-26-2023, 10:12 PM
I think we essentially got penalized for Will's windup throwing motion on that call. Ball was pointed sideways when he was moving forward and the lazy ass replay official apparently assumed that was because it had already been knocked out of his control not realizing that's his throwing motion.

Yep. College replay officials suck so bad compared to nfl

DownwardDawg
09-26-2023, 11:38 PM
It's even more clear from th :50 - :52 second mark. His arm clearly moves forward with the football in control.

Lol. My friend, that is the ONLY 2 seconds in that video that makes it look as if it's MAYBE an incomplete pass. A couple seconds later you get to watch the side view that shows the fumble. My house was full of State fans that night. Not a single one thought it was a pass after seeing the replay. It was a clear fumble.

I called it a fumble. Everyone I know says it was a fumble. The refs called it a fumble. It was reviewed by the SEC and deemed a fumble. All my SEC buddies offshore say it was a fumble.
It was a fumble.

DownwardDawg
09-27-2023, 12:24 AM
I just spoke to Commercecomet24 on the phone. He confirmed that I'm right. Lol
I love you guys. What a great board this turned out to be.

Johnson85
09-27-2023, 10:28 AM
Lol. My friend, that is the ONLY 2 seconds in that video that makes it look as if it's MAYBE an incomplete pass. A couple seconds later you get to watch the side view that shows the fumble. My house was full of State fans that night. Not a single one thought it was a pass after seeing the replay. It was a clear fumble.

I called it a fumble. Everyone I know says it was a fumble. The refs called it a fumble. It was reviewed by the SEC and deemed a fumble. All my SEC buddies offshore say it was a fumble.
It was a fumble.

Love for you to point out the side view you're talking about. 1:01 shows it as a pass also (or 1:02; I guess it will show more frames for one second on the clock). What is the time stamp that you think shows a fumble?

confucius say
09-27-2023, 02:54 PM

It was a fumble.

No offense. But then they don't understand the rule. Follow Bill Renaud on Twitter. He's really good with referee stuff. He quoted the rule, which applies to only the hand. The arm is irrelevant. Any intentional forward movement of the hand equals incomplete pass. If the palm is supinated when the ball becomes loose, it's an incomplete pass because the forward motion of the hand starts when the hand is pronated and before the hand is supinated (As it does with all quarterbacks' throwing motion).

At its deepest point, Will's hand is well behind his body about rib cage high with his palm facing straight down. This is the :51 mark. The ball becomes loose at the :52-:53 second mark when his hand is almost to his shoulder and his palm is now facing up. It's physically impossible for his hand not to have moved up and forward between :51 and :52/:53.

In other words, look at the right hand at its deepest point and then see if it is still at its deepest point when the ball becomes loose. It's not. Which means the hand moved forward prior to the ball being loose.

Commercecomet24
09-27-2023, 03:20 PM
No offense. But then they don't understand the rule. Follow Bill Renaud on Twitter. He's really good with referee stuff. He quoted the rule, which applies to only the hand. The arm is irrelevant. Any intentional forward movement of the hand equals incomplete pass. If the palm is supinated when the ball becomes loose, it's an incomplete pass because the forward motion of the hand starts when the hand is pronated and before the hand is supinated (As it does with all quarterbacks' throwing motion).

At its deepest point, Will's hand is well behind his body about rib cage high with his palm facing straight down. This is the :51 mark. The ball becomes loose at the :52-:53 second mark when his hand is almost to his shoulder and his palm is now facing up. It's physically impossible for his hand not to have moved up and forward between :51 and :52/:53.

In other words, look at the right hand at its deepest point and then see if it is still at its deepest point when the ball becomes loose. It's not. Which means the hand moved forward prior to the ball being loose.

Yeah the :51-:52 mark shows forward movement of the hand and it's clear. Now I also knew there was no way in heck they were overturning that call because it was us on the end of it, we never catch a break, every.