PDA

View Full Version : We really are a G-5 program aren?t we?

CaptainObvious
09-23-2023, 01:47 PM
Scheduled to go TO Southern Miss in 25 and TO Troy in 26. SMDH!😣

parabrave
09-23-2023, 02:01 PM
Scheduled to go TO Southern Miss in 25 and TO Troy in 26. SMDH!��

At least it isn't Mercer/

Leroy Jenkins
09-23-2023, 02:10 PM

That has to be 3-for-1, or 2-for-1 minimum.

Homedawg
09-23-2023, 02:14 PM
That has to be 3-for-1, or 2-for-1 minimum.

It sounds easier than what it is. Harder to find games than you think. The ones w way more money than us can offer 3 times + what we offer to buy a game. Or buy 3 games rather.

LC Dawg
09-23-2023, 02:25 PM
Bama played at South Florida last week.

Leroy Jenkins
09-23-2023, 02:35 PM
It sounds easier than what it is. Harder to find games than you think. The ones w way more money than us can offer 3 times + what we offer to buy a game. Or buy 3 games rather.

That's why I said 2 or 3 for 1, meaning we go there for 1, not just buyout the series.

Todd4State
09-23-2023, 02:44 PM
Alabama just played a road game against South Florida last week.

If we play USM, Memphis, Tulane, or UAB on the road we're gong to have enough of a fan presence that we will be fine.

Homedawg
09-23-2023, 02:50 PM
That's why I said 2 or 3 for 1, meaning we go there for 1, not just buyout the series.
And my point is they won't agree to it.

Ranchdawg
09-23-2023, 03:10 PM
Just don?t ever go back to Louisiana Tech.

PGHBulldogBG
09-23-2023, 03:15 PM
I don?t mind playing home and home with USM for recruiting purposes and to give our fans in the Southern part of the state an easier trip, but we should never play any other G5 team on the road.

Quaoarsking
09-23-2023, 03:37 PM
This is nothing new. We've been doing this throughout the 21st century. Just off the top of my head, we've already played at both of those schools, plus La Tech (twice), UAB, Middle Tennessee, South Alabama, UMass, Houston (when they were CUSA), Tulane (when they were CUSA), etc.

Maroonthirteen
09-23-2023, 05:06 PM
I get the economics of it all. But damn.... at Troy???.... is terrible. I guess Troy is offering a deep deep discount.

Homedawg
09-23-2023, 05:14 PM
I get the economics of it all. But damn.... at Troy???.... is terrible. I guess Troy is offering a deep deep discount.

Typically, if you agree to a 1 for one. We pay them nothing when they come here. They pay us nothing to go there.....instead of million + for them to come here. Which they can't get way more than that from auburn or Fla or whoever. Way more.

Quaoarsking
09-23-2023, 05:36 PM

Do you remember this game from 2012?
https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap/_/gameId/322592653

Lord McBuckethead
09-23-2023, 05:40 PM
I want to play at Notre Dame. Don?t care if we win or get smoked.

Homedawg
09-23-2023, 05:57 PM
I want to play at Notre Dame. Don?t care if we win or get smoked.

Doubt they would play us ....

msudawg1200
09-23-2023, 06:24 PM
Do you remember this game from 2012?
https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap/_/gameId/322592653

Very well. We gave up almost 600 total yards to Troy. They had 4 turnovers and we had 0. We only won 30-24. Sound familiar?

Coursesuper
09-23-2023, 10:11 PM
Scheduled to go TO Southern Miss in 25 and TO Troy in 26. SMDH!😣

I know you meant this post as a slap, but you might just want to temper yourself here. As realignment continues if you think we are safe in the SEC you are dead wrong. As the landscape continues to change and we fall further and further behind those trips you are bitching about will be our everyday.

Bothrops
09-23-2023, 10:18 PM

We are a G5 program now.

Maroonthirteen
09-23-2023, 10:41 PM
Typically, if you agree to a 1 for one. We pay them nothing when they come here. They pay us nothing to go there.....instead of million + for them to come here. Which they can't get way more than that from auburn or Fla or whoever. Way more.

Well hopefully we didn't agree to a 1 for 1 with Troy. Maybe A 2 for 1, no $ exchange......but I dnk if that's a good deal because it's such a terrible trip for team, equipment and fans. Just play uab or mtsu. Someone in any metropolitan areas. But i guess those teams are asking for more than Troy.

SpaceBully
09-23-2023, 10:50 PM
I know you meant this postl as a slap, but you might just want to temper yourself here. As realignment continues if you think we are safe in the SEC you are dead wrong. As the landscape continues to change and we fall further and further behind those trips you are bitching about will be our everyday.

We'll always be in the SEC. However, a certain number of SEC teams will compete in a football only Super Division. And we likely won't be one of them. We'll still play our normal SEC schedule but could participate in a playoff system just a notch below the Super Division. All other sports will be your normal SEC events. Wouldn't bother me at all. At least we would be competing against teams more like us and on our level come playoff time.

EdwardDrayton
09-24-2023, 04:10 AM

We went to the last one there. They put us all in a section of the stands that's not even on the playing field.

Coursesuper
09-24-2023, 12:19 PM
We'll always be in the SEC. However, a certain number of SEC teams will compete in a football only Super Division. And we likely won't be one of them. We'll still play our normal SEC schedule but could participate in a playoff system just a notch below the Super Division. All other sports will be your normal SEC events. Wouldn't bother me at all. At least we would be competing against teams more like us and on our level come playoff time.

In the next 3 to 5 years the super division will begin. It will encompass the top 40 or so schools and we will not be part of that group. When that happens our funding goes away. Football pays the bills and say goodbye to that. Athletes that we have been able to attract, gone. We are beginning to see the effects of this now with our lackluster ability with the NIL, even with a great deal more of effort from a dedicated few. Ultimately the rich are going to get richer and everyone else is left behind. Sooner than later the other sports both revenue and non revenue will follow into the new super league. $$$ talk and bullshit walks. If you don?t believe that what has happened to Oregon State and Washington State can?t happen to us you need to.