PDA

View Full Version : Question for all the Rogers apologists.

Pinto
09-21-2023, 02:01 PM
When will it be Will?s fault? What does it take for it to be on him?

Homedawg
09-21-2023, 02:16 PM
I'm not an apologist. He was bad last week. Has been bad numerous games. W that said, he gives us the best chance to win imo.... Bucky is the only one I know of that says he's not to blame.

Coach34
09-21-2023, 02:22 PM
Everybody on offense is to blame from Barbay on down to the last redshirt on the OL

EdwardDrayton
09-21-2023, 02:23 PM
It's not just Will.

We are not a very good football team right now. There is a lot to overcome and not much time to do it.

Goldendawg
09-21-2023, 02:32 PM
Everybody on offense is to blame from Barbay on down to the last redshirt on the OL

No, Keenum, Cigar Boys (If they really exist), and CZA down. Jury still out on our latest On-The-Job training AD. Compare our Athletic Department to the others in the West. We are in real trouble on far too many levels.

Churchill
09-21-2023, 02:53 PM
No, Keenum, Cigar Boys (If they really exist), and CZA down. Jury still out on our latest On-The-Job training AD. Compare our Athletic Department to the others in the West. We are in real trouble on far too many levels.

I go back to the 60's and we have always had a proud old tradition of incompetent (and apathetic) management of our athletic department by the people in the positions you just named. Their names have changed numerous times but their approach to athletics has almost always been the same.

paverdog
09-21-2023, 02:54 PM
I might get ripped for this, but I don't care and sick of seeing this for almost four years. Rogers a good kid, yes, but seeing him standing there like a cement pole and just folds when a rusher gets two from him is just mind blowing, No zips on his passing, can't run and make plays at all. To many three and out, watching him just walk off the field with his down and just set and look in the air i could go on, and lots of people on here is just going accept that to go on again, mind blowing. Gosh I want my qb to be spunky and tuff the way most qb's are now. I want my team to win and win now, Common since will tell you that Wright will give us the hope for the season. Just can't see the love for Rogers that some on here have for him. It's not worth losing for our school, fan's and the other players..

Coach34
09-21-2023, 03:02 PM
Compare our Athletic Department to the others in the West. We are in real trouble on far too many levels.

Football should improve. Saban lost to La-Monroe his 1st season.
Basketball? Made the NCAA Tourney last year and our coach was just listed as a preseason candidate for COY this coming season
Baseball? We just had 3 guys named to MLB's Top 100 prospects for the July draft yesterday- one Top 20

I think our athletic dept is doing well overall

Commercecomet24
09-21-2023, 03:06 PM
Basketball? Made the NCAA Tourney last year and our coach was just listed as a preseason candidate for COY this coming season
Baseball? We just had 3 guys named to MLB's Top 100 prospects for the July draft yesterday- one Top 20

I agree and add the ladies basketball team is back to winning and Selmon seems very interested in getting up to date with nil and I think we're doing very good. Always room for improvement but we're right there.

Goldendawg
09-21-2023, 03:09 PM
I go back to the 60's and we have always had a proud old tradition of incompetent (and apathetic) management of our athletic department by the people in the positions you just named. Their names have changed numerous times but their approach to athletics has almost always been the same.

I will say when my now 22 year old MSU Grad School, Raised Hardcore Dog Son was was about 4 years old, he was amazed by the Templeton Troughs in the men's room of the FB Stadium. "Dad, We get to pee in the floor!" Hail State, I Guess?****

Goldendawg
09-21-2023, 03:13 PM

Agree on MBB right now. Condition of baseball program last two years and FB (including in-state recruiting) right now, not so much at all.

NWADAWG
09-21-2023, 03:33 PM

Maybe I see this differently than some. It will never be Will's fault. Will does all he is capable of doing. It is up to the coaches to recruit talent and decide what talent/scheme gives us the best chance at winning. Virtually no player want to be bad or tries to be.

Leroy Jenkins
09-21-2023, 03:35 PM
If you make a mental list of the best 11 offensive players, how far down that list do you go before you get to a QB or an O-lineman? Some of you would make it further down your list than others.

Goldendawg
09-21-2023, 03:50 PM
If you make a mental list of the best 11 offensive players, how far down that list do you go before you get to a QB or an O-lineman? Some of you would make it further down your list than others.

I thought we had better talent than shown to date this season, probably decreased by our coaching woes, but honestly, how many of our top 11 offensive players start for another SEC West team? OM or someone tried to get Tulu in the off season & some of you say Will got offers (must have had a great offensive line and real OC). Was said Z Thomas wanted to go to LSU and was offered a walkon spot I hear. Marks could play for someone else. Who else? I'm a long way from 11.

Homedawg
09-21-2023, 03:56 PM

I can name the top two and after that I get a whole lot of meh...... zavion maybe when he gets healthy. Course tulu is one of the top two and he flat dogged it on a route last week too that otherwise would have been a catch

DownwardDawg
09-21-2023, 04:00 PM
I love Will Rogers. But he has looked terrible in this offense so far. It shows what a system can do for a QB. I remember when my LSU buddies were excited about signing Brennan. "Stole him" out of Mississippi. Talked about all the records he had broken. I laughed and told them he was a system QB. If he was ever the starter at LSU then they were in big trouble.

Leroy Jenkins
09-21-2023, 04:07 PM
he flat dogged it on a route last week too that otherwise would have been a catch

Yup. That would have been a TD but he's jogging because he didn't think the ball was coming his way.

Goldendawg
09-21-2023, 04:15 PM
I love Will Rogers. But he has looked terrible in this offense so far. It shows what a system can do for a QB. I remember when my LSU buddies were excited about signing Brennan. "Stole him" out of Mississippi. Talked about all the records he had broken. I laughed and told them he was a system QB. If he was ever the starter at LSU then they were in big trouble.

Love your avatar. Used to have these decals on the rear, side glass of my 1966 Chevelle Malibu coupe (283 2bbl, 2 speed powerglide), when I was a 16 year old HS student in 1971. First car I ever had (65 El Camino 327 at 15). Dad told me he would keep me in good, used car if I didn't marry before MSU graduation. Got 4 Chevelles and a '75 RS Camaro before graduating in '77. Hail State!

Goldendawg
09-21-2023, 04:19 PM
Yup. That would have been a TD but he's jogging because he didn't think the ball was coming his way.

A lot of the time I'm afraid Will already has decided who he going to target from the huddle due to the OL issues and his lack of mobility/pocket presence. Add in poor scheme and coaching issues and the mess we have now.

DownwardDawg
09-21-2023, 06:10 PM
Love your avatar. Used to have these decals on the rear, side glass of my 1966 Chevelle Malibu coupe (283 2bbl, 2 speed powerglide), when I was a 16 year old HS student in 1971. First car I ever had (65 El Camino 327 at 15). Dad told me he would keep me in good, used car if I didn't marry before MSU graduation. Got 4 Chevelles and a '75 RS Camaro before graduating in '77. Hail State!
Haha! Thanks. Yeah I'm old school and love old stuff. Saw that years ago and stuck with it.
Man those were some cool rides you had!!!

BlackSailsDawg
09-21-2023, 07:43 PM

I blame Rogers for missed targets. No issue at all with that. But he's not the issue we have.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-21-2023, 07:45 PM

Bruh.

Football was 9-4 last year, returned a ton, and is now likely to miss a bowl. Why? Bad coaching. Could they get better? Sure. It's happened before. But the early return are NOT good, the team will be worse next year due to loosing 26 Srs, and recruiting is currently 35th.

Basketball is in a great spot, agreed.

Baseball missed Hoover with those same 3 stud players you mentioned. We failed epically in the Portal to bring in the fresh talent we needed. Ledbetter (our best hitter) is replaced by Hujsak. Clark (our 3rd best hitter in SEC play) is replaced by... Chance? I guess? We have literally no reason to expect better results next year except blind faith Parker can work miracles.

Our AD failed to fire Lemo when he should have because he's scared to make a move. We all know Keenum isn't great at evaluating ADs (Cohen). Our NIL is always going to be behind the 8 ball relative to the West.

Could everything work out? Of course! But the odds are objectively against us every area but Basketball

sandjunky
09-21-2023, 08:17 PM
Bruh.

Football was 9-4 last year, returned a ton, and is now likely to miss a bowl. Why? Bad coaching. Could they get better? Sure. It's happened before. But the early return are NOT good, the team will be worse next year due to loosing 26 Srs, and recruiting is currently 35th.

Baseball missed Hoover with those same 3 stud players you mentioned. We failed epically in the Portal to bring in the fresh talent we needed. Ledbetter (our best hitter) is replaced by Hujsak. Clark (our 3rd best hitter in SEC play) is replaced by... Chance? I guess? We have literally no reason to expect better results next year except blind faith Parker can work miracles.

Our AD failed to fire Lemo when he should have because he's scared to make a move. We all know Keenum isn't great at evaluating ADs (Cohen). Our NIL is always going to be behind the 8 ball relative to the West.

Could everything work out? Of course! But the odds are objectively against us every area but Basketball

There you go - messing with the injuns

Now I fully expect a 15-17 type season now in basketball

MaroonFlounder
09-21-2023, 08:59 PM
Will can shut people up if he could figure some things out Saturday.

I want the O-Line to get the job done so that that won’t be an excuse. SC’s defense is good, but not nearly as menacing as LSU.

Barbay plays aren’t doing him any favors, but how in the world does a career 70% completion guy throw so many short passes at receivers feet? That ain’t on the OC. Will’s head is in a bad place right now.

paverdog
09-21-2023, 09:18 PM

I want the O-Line to get the job done so that that won’t be an excuse. SC’s defense is good, but not nearly as menacing as LSU.

Barbay plays aren’t doing him any favors, but how in the world does a career 70% completion guy throw so many short passes at receivers feet? That ain’t on the OC. Will’s head is in a bad place right now.

Thats right about Will, he had his time here and i'll be glad to see him move on. I just want and our coaches should want to save the season by Will learning, from what I see, he can't. Put Wright in and we can move the chains and keep the defense honest..

EdwardDrayton
09-21-2023, 09:34 PM
I blame Rogers for missed targets. No issue at all with that. But he's not the issue we have.

He's not the ONLY issue we have.

Todd4State
09-21-2023, 11:42 PM
Bruh.

Long term baseball will be fine no matter what. Either Lemonis will turn it around next year and go to a Super Regional or he won't and he will be fired. We handled that situation correctly whether our fans like it or not. And it's not just about keeping recruiting classes together.

Football is going to have some changes soon unless things turn around very quickly. But when coaches look like they're in over their heads we all know how that usually turns out.

NCMSTFAN
09-22-2023, 06:51 AM

I agree with this, especially with basketball. Both the Men and Women teams went to the tournament and the Women's team just brought in a top 3 portal class to go along with a top 25 high school class. We can't lump everything together and say our Athletic Department is in trouble.

CoachT14
09-22-2023, 06:57 AM

It doesn't matter how good the OL plays, if there's one bad play by them the Will Bois will crow and crow about how the OL just sucks. They've done it the last 2 years.

NCMSTFAN
09-22-2023, 07:01 AM

Agreed. This weekend is Will's make or break game, I know alot of us think he is already broken but the coaching staff is still sticking with him as of now. I strongly feel this is his last shot at proving if he will continue running the show or let Wright take it over and live with whatever happens. I could be wrong but no coach in their right mind would leave their coaching future in the hands of an inconsistent QB and that's no disrespect to Will.

confucius say
09-22-2023, 07:14 AM
Bruh.

The 3 Keenum ADs are now at Bama, Florida, and Auburn.

confucius say
09-22-2023, 07:19 AM
Our problems are more talent than coaching. A hall of fame coach with a system that hides talent deficiencies helped mask that the last couple of years, but we have major talent issues at the three most important positions, QB and OL and DL (secondary too).

The staff hasn't helped by making things way more complicated than they have to be.

That said, we play a team more in line with us this week. Should be a close game.

NCMSTFAN
09-22-2023, 07:24 AM
Just to put into perspective how bad Rogers is playing in this system (which in my opinion the system has alot to do with his poor play). Here are his stats vs. other SEC QB's through 3 games:

Passing yards: 492 total yards (He ranks 13th in the SEC in passing yards which is 2nd to last only behind Bama's Jalen Milroes 449, who didn't play last week)
Completion %: 59% (ranks 13th again 2nd to last only behind Vandy's AJ Swann who is at 57%)
Yards/PA: 6.65 yards PA (He ranks dead last in yards per attempt in the SEC)
Longest completion: 37 yards (Again he ranks dead last in the long ball)

The one area he does rank at the top of the SEC in is Interceptions. He hasn't thrown and INT so I have to give him credit for that.

At the end of the day, numbers don't lie and Rogers is putting up some of the worse numbers from the QB spot that we have seen since walk on Tyson Lee. If CZA or Barbay continue to allow historically bad QB play without at least attempting to make a change, they both need to be gone by the end of the year. There are other coaches who have pulled their starting QB's already including Saban who has played 3 guys, CZA better be careful or this fanbase will quickly turn on him quicker than what happened with Moorhead.

CoachT14
09-22-2023, 08:50 AM
Just to put into perspective how bad Rogers is playing in this system (which in my opinion the system has alot to do with his poor play). Here are his stats vs. other SEC QB's through 3 games:

Passing yards: 492 total yards (He ranks 13th in the SEC in passing yards which is 2nd to last only behind Bama's Jalen Milroes 449, who didn't play last week)
Completion %: 59% (ranks 13th again 2nd to last only behind Vandy's AJ Swann who is at 57%)
Yards/PA: 6.65 yards PA (He ranks dead last in yards per attempt in the SEC)
Longest completion: 37 yards (Again he ranks dead last in the long ball)

The one area he does rank at the top of the SEC in is Interceptions. He hasn't thrown and INT so I have to give him credit for that.

At the end of the day, numbers don't lie and Rogers is putting up some of the worse numbers from the QB spot that we have seen since walk on Tyson Lee. If CZA or Barbay continue to allow historically bad QB play without at least attempting to make a change, they both need to be gone by the end of the year. There are other coaches who have pulled their starting QB's already including Saban who has played 3 guys, CZA better be careful or this fanbase will quickly turn on him quicker than what happened with Moorhead.

The stats are even worse when you go into more advanced stuff. He's been really bad this year. Which he was pretty bad last year too.

Inaccurate throws: 30 - 6th most in the SEC, but he's thrown 20 less passes than the next closest guys who only have thrown 31. For reference, AJ Swann leads the SEC in it and has thrown 58, but he's almost double the attempted throws with 134, while Will has thrown only 74.

Adjusted Completion %: 13th in the SEC

Big Pass Play %(35+ yards): Last in the SEC

Average Depth of Target: 12th in the SEC

Air Yards Percentage: Last in the SEC

Success Rate: Last in the SEC

Depth Adjusted Accuracy %: Last in the SEC

Uncatchable Pass %: Highest in the SEC

Turnover Worthy Play %: Lowest in the SEC and lowest by a large margin. Which tells me he doesn't even try to make plays, it's just ultra conservative.

On the flip side our WR's

Drop %: Least amount of drops in the SEC

Our OL

Time Allowed in Pocket: Tied for 5th most in the SEC

Sack %: 3rd highest in the SEC

Pressure %: 6th in the

Again the line isn't great, but it's manageable. Not all sacks are created the same (QBs can cause the sacks), so I look at time in the pocket and pressure % as more valuable for line play. Which tells me we are fairly average at OL right now. They were bad at times against LSU that's no doubt.

Our QB play is arguably the worst in the SEC. No ifs ands or buts about it.

BlackSailsDawg
09-22-2023, 12:23 PM
Thats right about Will, he had his time here and i'll be glad to see him move on. I just want and our coaches should want to save the season by Will learning, from what I see, he can't. Put Wright in and we can move the chains and keep the defense honest..

Rogers will never learn to block a DE or LB. He's not an OLman. He will never run the right routes for the WRs. That's not his job. He's never going to call plays for Barbay. It's not his job.

Until you fix the actual problem, we will be where we are.

BlackSailsDawg
09-22-2023, 12:24 PM
It doesn't matter how good the OL plays, if there's one bad play by them the Will Bois will crow and crow about how the OL just sucks. They've done it the last 2 years.

Noted. This weekend I will clipboard it.

MaroonFlounder
09-22-2023, 03:24 PM
Rogers will never learn to block a DE or LB. He's not an OLman. He will never run the right routes for the WRs. That's not his job. He's never going to call plays for Barbay. It's not his job.

Until you fix the actual problem, we will be where we are.

Let's count how many passes are thrown at the receiver's feet tomorrow.

That ain't on Barbay or the O-line or the receivers.

parabrave
09-22-2023, 03:41 PM
The stats are even worse when you go into more advanced stuff. He's been really bad this year. Which he was pretty bad last year too.

Inaccurate throws: 30 - 6th most in the SEC, but he's thrown 20 less passes than the next closest guys who only have thrown 31. For reference, AJ Swann leads the SEC in it and has thrown 58, but he's almost double the attempted throws with 134, while Will has thrown only 74.

Adjusted Completion %: 13th in the SEC

Big Pass Play %(35+ yards): Last in the SEC

Average Depth of Target: 12th in the SEC

Air Yards Percentage: Last in the SEC

Success Rate: Last in the SEC

Depth Adjusted Accuracy %: Last in the SEC

Uncatchable Pass %: Highest in the SEC

Turnover Worthy Play %: Lowest in the SEC and lowest by a large margin. Which tells me he doesn't even try to make plays, it's just ultra conservative.

On the flip side our WR's

Drop %: Least amount of drops in the SEC

Our OL

Time Allowed in Pocket: Tied for 5th most in the SEC

Sack %: 3rd highest in the SEC

Pressure %: 6th in the

Again the line isn't great, but it's manageable. Not all sacks are created the same (QBs can cause the sacks), so I look at time in the pocket and pressure % as more valuable for line play. Which tells me we are fairly average at OL right now. They were bad at times against LSU that's no doubt.

Get ready to feel the wrath of all the willkkies, Our version of Trekkies. Well when you can't dump off to the RB 35 times a game this is what happens,.

Turfdawg67
09-22-2023, 03:57 PM
Our problems are more talent than coaching.

Well if that's the case, stick a fork in us. Those 'Home Town' folks are pouring money into OM.* And we were already behind.

*allegedly

vindastra
09-22-2023, 04:43 PM

It doesn't matter - BuckySails21 are creating thread after thread blaming everyone else (including the water carriers*).

BlackSailsDawg
09-22-2023, 04:47 PM
He's not the ONLY issue we have.

No, the play on the field is the by product of the lack of coaching in every aspect of that offense. Period.

They guy can't install his offense with VET players. He's done ok with the run game, nothing else. When the staff is a mess, it's going to show up on the field.

justwin
09-22-2023, 10:34 PM
Maybe just maybe it is just will. Every other player has been changed except will. Let?s see it with a different qb before making any conclusions

BlackSailsDawg
09-23-2023, 09:49 AM
Maybe just maybe it is just will. Every other player has been changed except will. Let?s see it with a different qb before making any conclusions

No sir. Every other player has not been changed out. We are running more 12 personnel than 10. That means the coach is forcing us to play a true freshman OT at TE! And about to burn his RS.

No Sir. Rogers doesn't line up at center, guard, tackle or TE. He's not the one saying to Pittman... "hey... that blitzer that's going to reach me in 2 seconds.... DON'T PICK HIM UP!"

Put the blames where they go. In 1 game this season Rogers was bad when he had opportunity. Wrs literally failed to read the defense and took the wrong option route. OT pulling in the wrong direction. Center didn't even attempt to pick up the LB on the bitz and he wasn't even engaged on a block. Our OTs are not blocking well. And the issue with those is it's been multiple games where this is happening.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-23-2023, 12:26 PM
Maybe I see this differently than some. It will never be Will's fault. Will does all he is capable of doing. It is up to the coaches to recruit talent and decide what talent/scheme gives us the best chance at winning. Virtually no player want to be bad or tries to be.

Participant Trophies for Everyone!!!