PDA

View Full Version : On WRs not being where they should be

BlackSailsDawg
09-20-2023, 08:13 AM
Yes, it's been happening in every game. Bumphis just explained that WRs have "options on route by reading coverages".

There were some miscommunications with Will Rogers and the receivers, is it a simple fix?

?Yeah, it?s?I guess you could say nothing simple. But it?s things that can be corrected in practice. We have some option routes that are dictated off coverages, so we?ve just got to make sure we?re seeing the same thing and we?re on the same page.?

Does it sounds like we have complicated things way too much?

Leroy Jenkins
09-20-2023, 08:17 AM
Yeah it looks really bad.

Air raid had the same option routes. We (they) are just panicking right now because we aren't comfortable or are confused about what we are looking at, QB and WR are not seeing the same thing.

It's kind of a miracle we haven't thrown the ball to the other team yet.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-20-2023, 08:35 AM
3 years of looking at a drop 8 zone and "throwing to space" vs man to man with roaming safeties, LBs that can blitz or drop, and occasional zones looks. It's certainly a big change.

Should have modified the air raid. Add some running plays to try to break the drop 8zone but keep all QB/WR stuff as similar as possible. OR- keep everything the same but Portal in a mobile QB. Spencer Sanders is rotting on the bench at OM- his numbers dipped in '22 because their OL got worse but in the 3 years as a starter before that he was a 62.5% passer and rushed for over 500 yards a season. He'd be hell in the air raid if he could pick up the "throw to space" thing.

Leroy Jenkins
09-20-2023, 08:40 AM
3 years of looking at a drop 8 zone and "throwing to space" vs man to man with roaming safeties, LBs that can blitz or drop, and occasional zones looks. It's certainly a big change.

Agreed.

Maverick91
09-20-2023, 09:28 AM
Whether we made crazy changes or not this does explain deer in the headlights play.

BlackSailsDawg
09-20-2023, 09:56 AM
Whether we made crazy changes or not this does explain deer in the headlights play.

Truth. Now that does not mean that Rogers is not the one making the wrong read on the coverage. It does mean we have done a poor job of installing this offense.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-20-2023, 10:25 AM

No doubt! Joe Brady sure got LSUs players on the same page in his first offseason. Deons staff was able to take a much of kids who have never spoken to each other or stepped foot on the Buffs campus and get them on the same page. Heupel had TNs offense rolling his first year.

It all comes down to coaching. You have to adapt to the players and teach them, but history has proven college kids are capable of learning a new offense in 1 offseason. We just have coaches that neither adapted to their players nor taught them well

dawgday166
09-20-2023, 10:47 AM
Seems like outside work by Will with WRs may be lacking or deficient.

memsu06
09-20-2023, 10:51 AM
No doubt! Joe Brady sure got LSUs players on the same page in his first offseason. Deons staff was able to take a much of kids who have never spoken to each other or stepped foot on the Buffs campus and get them on the same page. Heupel had TNs offense rolling his first year.

It all comes down to coaching. You have to adapt to the players and teach them, but history has proven college kids are capable of learning a new offense in 1 offseason. We just have coaches that neither adapted to their players nor taught them well

I don't think it matters what offense we run at MSU. We always look lost on offense when we change. I'm not sure what we're doing different than other schools.

Maverick91
09-20-2023, 11:05 AM
I don't think it matters what offense we run at MSU. We always look lost on offense when we change. I'm not sure what we're doing different than other schools.

Well if the rumors are true that Arnett had abbreviated practices in spring and fall that would explain a lot. I still need someone to say that rumor is true or not.

BlackSailsDawg
09-20-2023, 11:10 AM

Ding friggin ding ding!

BlackSailsDawg
09-20-2023, 11:12 AM

Leach took the 109th passing team to 20th WITHOUT the ability to install the system properly due to covid.

It's coaching.

KB21
09-20-2023, 11:18 AM
Ding friggin ding ding!

I'm really wondering if we have an offensive coordinator who is running a scheme that he really doesn't know that well? Barbay is definitely trying to install the Appalachian State wide zone scheme at Mississippi State. The thing is, last year is the only year he coached in that scheme. Their head coach, Shawn Clark, has coached that scheme for years. They ran that scheme when he was the OL coach for Scott Satterfield and when he was the offensive coordinator for Eliah Drinkwitz. That's what they do. They major in the wide zone, and everything else works off that wide zone run base scheme. Barbay has coached for years with Jim McElwain. Jim is definitely a pro style coach and runs some wide zone, but it has never been the base for his offense. Jim has mostly been an inside zone guy who sprinkles in some gap scheme.

Barbay seems to not really know how to make the wide zone run play work out of 10 personnel or 20 personnel, and he's really struggling with connecting the passing scheme to the running scheme.

dawgday166
09-20-2023, 11:24 AM
FWIW ... I'm pretty underwhelmed by Barbay interviews. I always get feeling I'm listening to a politician.

Maverick91
09-20-2023, 11:28 AM
FWIW ... I'm pretty underwhelmed by Barbay interviews. I always get feeling I'm listening to a politician.

Lol if you watch yesterday interview. He thanked the press guys for softball questions.

dawgday166
09-20-2023, 11:32 AM
Lol if you watch yesterday interview. He thanked the press guys for softball questions.

Yea. I also always get the feeling he's in way over his head at this point in his career. Not saying he won't learn, grow, and mature but from listening to him I personally think he needs more experience.

KB21
09-20-2023, 11:35 AM
https://americaswargame.substack.com/p/dave-aranda-goes-deep-on-offensive

This is an article that was written by Ian Boyd, who is very good. It's an interview he did with Dave Aranda at Baylor. I would like to see someone do this with Zach Arnett. I'd like to know if Zach went into the coordinator search to hire a coach that is going to run the wide zone scheme and what his reasons for that decision were. Dave Aranda gives very detailed reasoning on why he specifically targeted Jeff Grimes to be his offensive coordinator. He basically said that in his first year, he tried to run what they ran at LSU in 2019, but he realized that he couldn't run that scheme at Baylor. So, he looked at the wide zone as a way to combat the style of defenses that are in the Big 12. Most of the teams in the Big 12 run a version of the 3-3-5 flyover scheme made popular by Iowa State. He felt the wide zone was a way that he could attack that scheme and run the ball when there was a talent gap between his team and the opponents.

Dave Aranda is a coach that I consider to be highly intelligent. He's not your typical defensive minded meathead of a coach who just wants to run the ball and play field position. I mean, he basically said that the two hardest things to do in college football are to run the inside zone and have a legit drop back passing game.

Goldendawg
09-20-2023, 12:03 PM
I'm really wondering if we have an offensive coordinator who is running a scheme that he really doesn't know that well? Barbay is definitely trying to install the Appalachian State wide zone scheme at Mississippi State. The thing is, last year is the only year he coached in that scheme. Their head coach, Shawn Clark, has coached that scheme for years. They ran that scheme when he was the OL coach for Scott Satterfield and when he was the offensive coordinator for Eliah Drinkwitz. That's what they do. They major in the wide zone, and everything else works off that wide zone run base scheme. Barbay has coached for years with Jim McElwain. Jim is definitely a pro style coach and runs some wide zone, but it has never been the base for his offense. Jim has mostly been an inside zone guy who sprinkles in some gap scheme.

Barbay seems to not really know how to make the wide zone run play work out of 10 personnel or 20 personnel, and he's really struggling with connecting the passing scheme to the running scheme.

At this point, it appears many of our new coaching staff have exceeded their ceilings in the profession. Haven't felt this discouraged since the Croom /JoMo years as an adult or even the Shira years as a young boy.

KB21
09-20-2023, 12:03 PM
Neither one of the OL coaches are versed in the wide zone scheme they are trying to run either, which also means the TE's coach isn't versed in this scheme. Tony Hughes and Greg Knox? Nope. Bumphis. Yes. He was on Liepold's staff at Buffalo, and they ran wide zone.

Goldendawg
09-20-2023, 12:06 PM
Yea. I also always get the feeling he's in way over his head at this point in his career. Not saying he won't learn, grow, and mature but from listening to him I personally think he needs more experience.

But why does it always seem to to be us as an on the job training site on so many levels including AD, HC, OC, DC, etc?

dawgday166
09-20-2023, 12:08 PM
But why does it always seem to to be us as an on the job training site on so many levels including AD, HC, OC, DC, etc?

LOL ... we're MState.

Homedawg
09-20-2023, 12:09 PM
Neither one of the OL coaches are versed in the wide zone scheme they are trying to run either, which also means the TE's coach isn't versed in this scheme. Tony Hughes and Greg Knox? Nope. Bumphis. Yes. He was on Liepold's staff at Buffalo, and they ran wide zone.

You act like that's a complicated scheme. It's not

KB21
09-20-2023, 12:19 PM
It's obviously too complex for Will Friend to coach it.

Coach34
09-20-2023, 12:28 PM
Leach took the 109th passing team to 20th WITHOUT the ability to install the system properly due to covid.

It's coaching.

Leach also took the 21st best team in the country running the football to dead last in the country- 127th....Thats Coaching!!

(When you throw almost every play- of course your stats will be high in that area)

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-20-2023, 12:46 PM

Because we are cheap. Time and time again, we take the cheap way that might work out over the expensive way that probably will work out. That means internal promotions, 1st time HCs, OCs who have never truly installed and ran their own offense before, keeping a failed Lemo for year 6, etc. sometimes we get away with it, usually we don't.

BlackSailsDawg
09-20-2023, 12:55 PM
You act like that's a complicated scheme. It's not

It may not be, but our OL for 3 games has been a dumpster fire because they don't get it. Dak would be running for his life behind them in this scheme.

BlackSailsDawg
09-20-2023, 01:05 PM
Leach also took the 21st best team in the country running the football to dead last in the country- 127th....Thats Coaching!!

(When you throw almost every play- of course your stats will be high in that area)

And when you are in an SEC only schedule and running it that little, yes it will lower your stats.

Point is, that was Leach's system and he implemented it without a spring session and limited summer. Yet he still produced and he beat LSU on the road.

Step away from Leach. Prime brought in 86 new players and a NEW OC. Yet they looked prepared in that system.

No matter how you try to slice it, we have a coaching problem.

Goldendawg
09-20-2023, 01:53 PM
And when you are in an SEC only schedule and running it that little, yes it will lower your stats.

Point is, that was Leach's system and he implemented it without a spring session and limited summer. Yet he still produced and he beat LSU on the road.

Step away from Leach. Prime brought in 86 new players and a NEW OC. Yet they looked prepared in that system.

Prime had experience as a successful HC , even if on Jackson State level. Also a great pro career in both FB and baseball and great confidence, name recognition, and a national following. Still waiting for him to take his lumps at CSU, could be Saturday. He flipped about 80 players on his roster and they looked well coached and seem to execute their schemes thus far. Our rookie staff are ruining a veteran SEC team ala JoMo.

Goldendawg
09-20-2023, 01:55 PM

And his co-OL coach. What other SEC teams have two OL coaches?

Lord McBuckethead
09-20-2023, 02:29 PM
Yeah it looks really bad.

Air raid had the same option routes. We (they) are just panicking right now because we aren't comfortable or are confused about what we are looking at, QB and WR are not seeing the same thing.

It's kind of a miracle we haven't thrown the ball to the other team yet.

Year one, there shouldn't be option routes in year one. Will should make the call at the line which way they are to go, based on alignment and signal to hte WRs. Ball snapped, WR run a crisp route, complete passes.

Lord McBuckethead
09-20-2023, 02:31 PM
Prime had experience as a successful HC , even if on Jackson State level. Also a great pro career in both FB and baseball and great confidence, name recognition, and a national following. Still waiting for him to take his lumps at CSU, could be Saturday. He flipped about 80 players on his roster and they looked well coached and seem to execute their schemes thus far. Our rookie staff are ruining a veteran SEC team ala JoMo.

Ouch, truth hurts. Hope someone asks Coach ZA about this in person on air at the coaches radio show Thursday at 6:30 at Walk-Ons.
How did Coach Prime do all that, and we can't complete a screen pass with the SECs most decorated QB and a veteran OL and WRs?

Todd4State
09-20-2023, 06:42 PM

Barbay doesn't have an offensive identity. We look like App State with an Air Raid formation thrown in here or there. That's part of the problem.

The other part of this communication piece is just from not working hard enough together or the coaches not teaching it well enough or both.

But it's hard to focus on something when you're just running a pile of plays and so there isn't really anything to build on.

Todd4State
09-20-2023, 06:43 PM
Year one, there shouldn't be option routes in year one. Will should make the call at the line which way they are to go, based on alignment and signal to hte WRs. Ball snapped, WR run a crisp route, complete passes.

Why not? We ran option routes in the Air Raid all the time.

They need to work on it.

Pinto
09-20-2023, 07:37 PM
So what routes were Will and Woody looking at when we f?ed up that screen pass?

Homedawg
09-20-2023, 08:02 PM

Yeah he has to suck, he's been hired by 5 sec teams. Clearly he has to suck. Or maybe, just maybe, he knows something and I assure you he knows more than your ass.

Homedawg
09-20-2023, 08:03 PM
It may not be, but our OL for 3 games has been a dumpster fire because they don't get it. Dak would be running for his life behind them in this scheme.

I'm not arguing that our OL has been good. It's been bad. I, unlike kb and Bucky, and can call it like it is.

Homedawg
09-20-2023, 08:04 PM

It's not hard to implement 10 plays. Not knocking it. But it's super simple.

BlackSailsDawg
09-20-2023, 08:05 PM
So what routes were Will and Woody looking at when we f?ed up that screen pass?

that was simply an over throw. Nobody is saying that we have perfect players. But damn, at least give them a fighting chance to succeed.

Homedawg
09-20-2023, 08:05 PM
And his co-OL coach. What other SEC teams have two OL coaches?

That's on title only. Friend is the OL coach.

BlackSailsDawg
09-20-2023, 08:06 PM
Yeah he has to suck, he's been hired by 5 sec teams. Clearly he has to suck. Or maybe, just maybe, he knows something and I assure you he knows more than your ass.

Being hired by 5 schools that also either fired him or the staff does not make him good.

Homedawg
09-20-2023, 08:06 PM

Do what? Yes there should be option routes based on what the d is in. This isn't jr high

BlackSailsDawg
09-20-2023, 08:07 PM
It's not hard to implement 10 plays. Not knocking it. But it's super simple.

More than ten, but yes. And the focus was to get those plays down to a science. We agree.

Homedawg
09-20-2023, 08:12 PM
Being hired by 5 schools that also either fired him or the staff does not make him good.

So when uga ut auburn sc and us all hire him. He sucks??? They watch film. They see what the line does. You're reaching bro.

Jarius
09-20-2023, 08:14 PM
https://americaswargame.substack.com/p/dave-aranda-goes-deep-on-offensive

This is an article that was written by Ian Boyd, who is very good. It's an interview he did with Dave Aranda at Baylor. I would like to see someone do this with Zach Arnett. I'd like to know if Zach went into the coordinator search to hire a coach that is going to run the wide zone scheme and what his reasons for that decision were. Dave Aranda gives very detailed reasoning on why he specifically targeted Jeff Grimes to be his offensive coordinator. He basically said that in his first year, he tried to run what they ran at LSU in 2019, but he realized that he couldn't run that scheme at Baylor. So, he looked at the wide zone as a way to combat the style of defenses that are in the Big 12. Most of the teams in the Big 12 run a version of the 3-3-5 flyover scheme made popular by Iowa State. He felt the wide zone was a way that he could attack that scheme and run the ball when there was a talent gap between his team and the opponents.

Dave Aranda is a coach that I consider to be highly intelligent. He's not your typical defensive minded meathead of a coach who just wants to run the ball and play field position. I mean, he basically said that the two hardest things to do in college football are to run the inside zone and have a legit drop back passing game.

He’s also about to have his 3rd losing season in 4 years, just lost to Texas State, and probably about to get fired in 2 months more than likely.

BuckyIsAB****
09-20-2023, 08:20 PM

Should have modified the air raid. Add some running plays to try to break the drop 8zone but keep all QB/WR stuff as similar as possible. OR- keep everything the same but Portal in a mobile QB. Spencer Sanders is rotting on the bench at OM- his numbers dipped in '22 because their OL got worse but in the 3 years as a starter before that he was a 62.5% passer and rushed for over 500 yards a season. He'd be hell in the air raid if he could pick up the "throw to space" thing.

Weve been seeing man free for about 2 years now because our WRs cant separate. Just because you are straight line fast doesnt mean you can get open. We have not had a consistent X/Z since Polk. Our best WRs are returners right now. Its been a problem for a pretty good while

BuckyIsAB****
09-20-2023, 08:25 PM
I'm not arguing that our OL has been good. It's been bad. I, unlike kb and Bucky, and can call it like it is.

Im confused?

Jarius
09-20-2023, 08:45 PM
Just in case anyone was wondering about the locker room, Justin Robinson’s dad just posted on Genespage that if Will Rogers starts Saturday that Arnett is going to lose the locker room.

BlackSailsDawg
09-20-2023, 08:55 PM
Just in case anyone was wondering about the locker room, Justin Robinson’s dad just posted on Genespage that if Will Rogers starts Saturday that Arnett is going to lose the locker room.

Got a link to that or what the title of the thread is?

Maverick91
09-20-2023, 08:58 PM

You got receipts? That is a hard push to just put out there.

Jarius
09-20-2023, 09:03 PM
You got receipts? That is a hard push to just put out there.

I don’t know how to attach the file because I’m a damn idiot, but is in “Practice Today” thread and his name is Southbend76

Jarius
09-20-2023, 09:04 PM

BlackSailsDawg
09-20-2023, 09:07 PM

And that was shot down by the Mods.

MBDawg601
09-20-2023, 09:07 PM
I'm not surprised. They are probably tired of that same disappointing helmet snap and trot off the field after another 3 and out.

Jarius
09-20-2023, 09:09 PM
And that was shot down by the Mods.

Well of course it was. They are going to tote water. That’s their only way to get the kind of access they get. Robinson’s dad is at every single scrimmage and gave scrimmage reports when those mods couldn’t even go watch. He knows more about that team than anyone on that board.

BlackSailsDawg
09-20-2023, 09:20 PM
Well of course it was. They are going to tote water. That’s their only way to get the kind of access they get. Robinson’s dad is at every single scrimmage and gave scrimmage reports when those mods couldn’t even go watch. He knows more about that team than anyone on that board.

Per practice reports this week, Rogers is taking the first string snaps. He's taking the majority of those snaps. Rogers is going to start.

Jarius
09-20-2023, 09:23 PM
Per practice reports this week, Rogers is taking the first string snaps. He's taking the majority of those snaps. Rogers is going to start.

I don’t think anyone suggested otherwise. I do believe he better play well or get yanked very quickly if he doesn’t play well or he will lose the locker room. If he doesn’t play well or get yanked for not playing well, I certainly hope the locker room stays together but it doesn’t sound promising.

Maverick91
09-20-2023, 09:29 PM

I don’t know how to attach the file because I’m a damn idiot, but is in “Practice Today” thread and his name is Southbend76

I’ll take your word for it. I cannot find the article. That’s very interesting, you know Rogers has to be aware of this coup d’?tat. I wonder how that is helping his non gunslinger mentality.

Jarius
09-20-2023, 09:32 PM
I’ll take your word for it. I cannot find the article. That’s very interesting, you know Rogers has to be aware of this coup d’?tat. I wonder how that is helping his non gunslinger mentality.

It’s not an article. It’s a thread on the message board over there. I am a big Will Rogers critic as a player (not a person), but I certainly don’t want the locker room to fall apart even if we go 4-8. That’s just not good ever.

BlackSailsDawg
09-20-2023, 09:40 PM
I don’t think anyone suggested otherwise. I do believe he better play well or get yanked very quickly if he doesn’t play well or he will lose the locker room. If he doesn’t play well or get yanked for not playing well, I certainly hope the locker room stays together but it doesn’t sound promising.

Says who? one person?

Maverick91
09-20-2023, 10:32 PM
It’s not an article. It’s a thread on the message board over there. I am a big Will Rogers critic as a player (not a person), but I certainly don’t want the locker room to fall apart even if we go 4-8. That’s just not good ever.

O we agree! If the locker room falls 4-8 is that things on our worry list.

Todd4State
09-21-2023, 12:20 AM

I know a lot of parents are upset and rightfully so. When I see us running one WR past the first down marker blaming Will might be a little misplaced IMO.

KB21
09-21-2023, 08:44 AM
I know a lot of parents are upset and rightfully so. When I see us running one WR past the first down marker blaming Will might be a little misplaced IMO.

I hope it happens, simply because I'm curious as to what all the Mike Wright nut huggers are going to say when his passes are far less accurate than Will's have been. Will's accuracy issues this year has more to do with him not being on the same page as his receivers than anything else. Mike Wright simply isn't and never will be an accurate passer.

Tripp McNeely
09-21-2023, 09:01 AM
I hope it happens, simply because I'm curious as to what all the Mike Wright nut huggers are going to say when his passes are far less accurate than Will's have been. Will's accuracy issues this year has more to do with him not being on the same page as his receivers than anything else. Mike Wright simply isn't and never will be an accurate passer.

I don't think even the most staunch Wright supporters are going to argue that. Most of us clamoring for Wright to start...our main argument is that we're going to give up 5-10% in the completion percentage department, but his mobility versus Will's will outweigh that loss in accuracy

KB21
09-21-2023, 09:15 AM
I don't think even the most staunch Wright supporters are going to argue that. Most of us clamoring for Wright to start...our main argument is that we're going to give up 5-10% in the completion percentage department, but his mobility versus Will's will outweigh that loss in accuracy

So, running the ball 90% of the time with Wright in the game is better than seeing if Rogers will get on the same page with his receivers?

Homedawg
09-21-2023, 09:27 AM
So, running the ball 90% of the time with Wright in the game is better than seeing if Rogers will get on the same page with his receivers?
In a rare instance I agree. If this team is going to maximize their potential, Rogers has to play and play much better. Our line has to get better( no matter the QB) and our wr need to get on same page. If wright is the QB we will be looking at an 8 man box every play and we will run it 85% of the time. That is not a recipe for success.

BlackSailsDawg
09-21-2023, 09:36 AM
In a rare instance I agree. If this team is going to maximize their potential, Rogers has to play and play much better. Our line has to get better( no matter the QB) and our wr need to get on same page. If wright is the QB we will be looking at an 8 man box every play and we will run it 85% of the time. That is not a recipe for success.

It's not just Rogers. It's the OL and the WRs running routes to the wrong spots.

Homedawg
09-21-2023, 09:49 AM
It's not just Rogers. It's the OL and the WRs running routes to the wrong spots.

Did you even read what I said???? Clearly not.

memsu06
09-21-2023, 09:53 AM
After watching Matt Wyatt break it down. Will isn't really to blame other than him being a slow runner. OL blocking was horrible and receivers not running right routes.

We need quick hitting plays on offense because there's no time to wait for a big play to develop.

Tripp McNeely
09-21-2023, 10:02 AM

See, this is why you annoy the hell out of people... "90%" is completely unrealistic and the example a 10-year-old would use when he's trying to "prove his point"...60-65% (on the high-end)...yes it would be better

Maverick91
09-21-2023, 10:02 AM

If our coaches put their heads in the sand then yes. But if they actually build a game plan around Wright’s strengths then we could better pretty dangerous. The issue there is if they can build that game plan than why not build one that suits Rogers better than this current plan.

Todd4State
09-21-2023, 10:10 AM

I agree with others that have said it's not going to make much of a difference really because our o-line can't block well and changing isn't going to get our receivers on the same page. Odds are the scramble/rushing trade off for Will's accuracy is going to be very minimal at best.

Mike Wright isn't Johnny Manziel. Barbay doesn't seem to know what to do with Wright anyway. He has him mostly handing off and he's only thrown one pass. His useage is like most things with Barbay has been head scratching.

TrapGame
09-21-2023, 10:10 AM
If our coaches put their heads in the sand then yes. But if they actually build a game plan around Wright’s strengths then we could better pretty dangerous. The issue there is if they can build that game plan than why not build one that suits Rogers better than this current plan.

Wright at QB could open up Tulu in the slot. An extra hat in the box to account for Wright running. If Mike can hit an open Tulu on a slant, it's off to the races. Will needs quick throws for 5 or 6 yards. The OL can't give him enough time for slow developing plays. Let Will feast on the short passing game and let Marks make some solid runs. Then as the game progresses let Will try for some deeper throws.

Maverick91
09-21-2023, 10:21 AM
Wright at QB could open up Tulu in the slot. An extra hat in the box to account for Wright running. If Mike can hit an open Tulu on a slant, it's off to the races. Will needs quick throws for 5 or 6 yards. The OL can't give him enough time for slow developing plays. Let Will feast on the short passing game and
let Marks make some solid runs. Then as the game progresses let Will try for some deeper throws.

Agreed! It doesn’t seem like rocket science. Hopefully it isn’t and the coaches see this as well.

KB21
09-21-2023, 10:23 AM
Wright at QB could open up Tulu in the slot. An extra hat in the box to account for Wright running. If Mike can hit an open Tulu on a slant, it's off to the races. Will needs quick throws for 5 or 6 yards. The OL can't give him enough time for slow developing plays. Let Will feast on the short passing game and let Marks make some solid runs. Then as the game progresses let Will try for some deeper throws.

LOL! Mike can't even throw accurately enough to consistently do that.

BlackSailsDawg
09-21-2023, 10:37 AM
See, this is why you annoy the hell out of people... "90%" is completely unrealistic and the example a 10-year-old would use when he's trying to "prove his point"...60-65% (on the high-end)...yes it would be better

No it would not... and btw... we ran it 70% against AZ.

Wright is not the answer because the OL in this scheme can not block. No matter who you put back there, the slow developing passing routes would keep what QB you have back there on his back.

KB21
09-21-2023, 10:40 AM
No it would not... and btw... we ran it 70% against AZ.

Wright is not the answer because the OL in this scheme can not block. No matter who you put back there, the slow developing passing routes would keep what QB you have back there on his back.

Take a wild guess on who the QB in the NFL is that takes a sack on the highest percentage of his drop back attempts is.

BlackSailsDawg
09-21-2023, 10:41 AM

Nobody is going to put an extras hat "in there" just for Wright. It's not opening anything up because that's not the issue. The issue is clearly explained by Pate, Wyatt...etc. This OL can not block in this scheme. They are clueless.

We are friggin playing a OT at TE. About to burn his redshirt. Does that make any sense yo you? Any at all? That's not his position and he isn't going out for a pass and he isn;t blocking.

So why the HELL would you keep doing that as a STAFF!

BlackSailsDawg
09-21-2023, 10:42 AM
Take a wild guess on who the QB in the NFL is that takes a sack on the highest percentage of his drop back attempts is.

No idea.

KB21
09-21-2023, 10:43 AM
No idea.

Justin Fields, maybe the most mobile QB in the NFL.

Goldendawg
09-21-2023, 10:51 AM
Nobody is going to put an extras hat "in there" just for Wright. It's not opening anything up because that's not the issue. The issue is clearly explained by Pate, Wyatt...etc. This OL can not block in this scheme. They are clueless.

We are friggin playing a OT at TE. About to burn his redshirt. Does that make any sense yo you? Any at all? That's not his position and he isn't going out for a pass and he isn;t blocking.

So why the HELL would you keep doing that as a STAFF!

Maybe Lemonis is acting in an advisory role in offense, passing (pitching) & defense this year.*****

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-21-2023, 11:01 AM
11/28 for 103 yards and 5 sacks

You people are insane.

After game 1 many of us criticized the way Will looked. His defenders said "he had a high comp percentage and it's game 1, what more do you want?"

After we sucked game 2 is was "well Barbay clearly sucks and never let Will throw enough to get in a rhythm".

After game 3 where Will was asked to throw and went 11/28 and had 78 net yards of offense, now it's the OL and WRs fault.

And the whole time we keep hearing the narrative that Wright can't even hit a slant, which is both a lie and ironic since we've seen Will miss a slant and a screen so far.

Whatever the narrative has to be to defend Will, that's what y'all will go with. Zero intellectual honesty

Newsflash: if the OL can't pass protect and the WRs can't run correct routes, that's all the MORE reason to start the mobile QB. You people can't even hear your own arguments before you make them, it's just whatever comes to mind to defend Will is what you type

MBDawg601
09-21-2023, 11:22 AM
Will is entirely to blame. He is a captain on this team. If his accuracy issues are due to he and the WRs not being on the same page. Put in the work. BE A LEADER. He has regressed this year in the leadership department.

His head shake, helmet snap and slower than jog off of the field after a piss poor effort and anothrler 3 and out is getting OLD. Be a damn leader.

Maverick91
09-21-2023, 11:38 AM

This whole Mike cannot hit the broadside of the barn thought is getting old. It?s not like he is uncle Rico back there. Have we ever thought about the talent he had at Vandy and he had what a 57% completion ratio, guess what Rogers is at 59% on the year. Come on we have yet to see him throw a legit pass at State. (That was a dump off at LSU my wife?s 89 year old grand mother. Could have made that throw.)

Maverick91
09-21-2023, 11:42 AM

What is with you comparing NFL to college. It is a completely different game from scheme to talent. It?s apples and oranges, water and oil, makes as much sense as not putting corn out to attract deer.

Goldendawg
09-21-2023, 11:57 AM
You have to go down to team rated #84 in passing completion percentage, Auburn, to get down to 57.14%. This does not mean some of these teams are not winning. Bama is #96 at 55.41 to date. We are at 102, 54.35% with one of the completions being Wright's TD against the LSU subs to date according to College Football Team Completion Percentage site.

MrCoachKlein
09-21-2023, 12:13 PM
Looks like I posted this in the wrong thread. Guess that answers my question and it's what I thought. If that WR runs to space against a 0 blitz its a 70 yard TD. Will read it right WR screwed it up

The one that still bugs me is the curl will through to the field side of the WR. LSU gave a 0 look and if that WR runs a post, the pass hits him perfect and its a 70 yard footrace. Instead the WR ran a curl and will either had a bad through or threw to grass where the WR should've been if it was an option route. I'd love to know if it was an option route.

BlackSailsDawg
09-21-2023, 12:16 PM

Interesting

Offshore Dawg
09-21-2023, 12:23 PM
whatever they are trying to do isn't working.

TrapGame
09-21-2023, 01:28 PM

Bullshit.

Will, our super passer, looks like a scared junior high kid out there and you're worried about Mike Wright not being able to hit a receiver.

Anything for Saint Will.

BlackSailsDawg
09-21-2023, 01:53 PM
Bullshit.

Will, our super passer, looks like a scared junior high kid out there and you're worried about Mike Wright not being able to hit a receiver.

Anything for Saint Will.

Really ain't about the QB. It's about the blocking for whoever you put back there. Rogers is 76% against az and was 69% against SELA. LSU is very much so an outlier in the sample size we have.

But historically, Rogers is the more accurate passer.

KB21
09-21-2023, 02:09 PM
Really ain't about the QB. It's about the blocking for whoever you put back there. Rogers is 76% against az and was 69% against SELA. LSU is very much so an outlier in the sample size we have.

vs pressure in 2022, Mike Wright was 12 of 47 for 140 yards. That's a 25.23% completion rate.

Goldendawg
09-21-2023, 02:20 PM

There is no such thing as an outlier on our schedule. It is who we are and who we play being in the SEC. It's not all his fault but he is 44 of 74, 60% in 3 games. If we look terrible Saturday night, give Wright some meaningful snaps in a couple of series to do more than hand off and then we will know,

Goldendawg
09-21-2023, 02:21 PM
vs pressure in 2022, Mike Wright was 12 of 47 for 140 yards. That's a 25.23% completion rate.

What's Will vs pressure?

Lord McBuckethead
09-21-2023, 02:42 PM
What's Will vs pressure?

Whatever it is, make sure you take his sacks into account and the 75-95% chance he fumbles on those sacks.

Lord McBuckethead
09-21-2023, 02:49 PM
I have read this entire thread, and this is the truth. MSU football sucks, at the moment. Can they get better? Well that is on coaching and team leadership.
We do not have the answer. CZA probably doesn't have the answer. The team probably doesn't have the answer. RIGHT NOW.

But I will say this, every single player needs to get their heads out of their asses. The coaching staff needs to get their heads out of their asses.

If we sniff a hint of what happened last Saturday on the field this week, people need to be replaced on the field. I hope, every single coach took a step back this last Sunday and realized they have not done their jobs. Week 3, after all spring, all fall, the new OTAs, team meetings, film study, etc and they still can't line up and do damn simple things? That is 100% coaching or lack of teaching. Simple as that.

Will is not getting it done. He should have been pulled during the second quarter or last week's game. The OL that ran the complete wrong direction, on the second GD play of the game, should have been pulled to the sideline and his ASS handed to him. Arnett needs to get animated on the sideline. Take a page out of Saban's playbook. Tear some dudes a new Ahole.

Goldendawg
09-21-2023, 02:59 PM
I have read this entire thread, and this is the truth. MSU football sucks, at the moment. Can they get better? Well that is on coaching and team leadership.
We do not have the answer. CZA probably doesn't have the answer. The team probably doesn't have the answer. RIGHT NOW.

But I will say this, every single player needs to get their heads out of their asses. The coaching staff needs to get their heads out of their asses.

If we sniff a hint of what happened last Saturday on the field this week, people need to be replaced on the field. I hope, every single coach took a step back this last Sunday and realized they have not done their jobs. Week 3, after all spring, all fall, the new OTAs, team meetings, film study, etc and they still can't line up and do damn simple things? That is 100% coaching or lack of teaching. Simple as that.

Will is not getting it done. He should have been pulled during the second quarter or last week's game. The OL that ran the complete wrong direction, on the second GD play of the game, should have been pulled to the sideline and his ASS handed to him. Arnett needs to get animated on the sideline. Take a page out of Saban's playbook. Tear some dudes a new Ahole.

We are running the JoMo playbook on scheme and the Croom/Woody playbook on coaching ability. Don't know what playbook on "D". Maybe JLD the last few years when we ran out of shut down corners and dominate DL that could pressure/sack the QB with no LB help.

MrCoachKlein
09-21-2023, 09:36 PM

How many rush yards did he have? For that matter how many rush yards did will lose (sacks) and how many pass yards did will have. You refuse to see the other part of the equation. That's why hardly anyone takes your points sincerely.

RezDog7
09-22-2023, 12:45 AM
Maybe Lemonis is acting in an advisory role in offense, passing (pitching) & defense this year.*****

I thought I saw Barbay sitting on a bucket Saturday.

BuckyIsAB****
09-22-2023, 12:52 PM

I wonder why Robinson isnt at UGA and why he has been a disappointment here.

KB21
09-22-2023, 01:54 PM
You know this narrative about how mobile QBs can avoid sacks? The highest sack percentage in the SEC through the first three weeks? Jalen Milroe. Milroe, Rattler, and Jefferson have all been sacked at a higher rate than Will, who is 4th highest.

Mjoelner34
09-22-2023, 02:19 PM
You know this narrative about how mobile QBs can avoid sacks? The highest sack percentage in the SEC through the first three weeks? Jalen Milroe. Milroe, Rattler, and Jefferson have all been sacked at a higher rate than Will, who is 4th highest.

Why is that? Is A) Our O-line is better than those teams. B) They are holding the ball longer for plays to develop further than 10 yds down the field. C) Their receivers are slow and run worse routes than ours. D) Will is more mobile and elusive in the pocket than those guys.

KB21
09-22-2023, 02:33 PM
Why is that? Is A) Our O-line is better than those teams. B) They are holding the ball longer for plays to develop further than 10 yds down the field. C) Their receivers are slow and run worse routes than ours. D) Will is more mobile and elusive in the pocket than those guys.

It comes down to this. Mobility means nothing if you don't have a feel for the pocket. In Jalen Milroe's case, he has no feel for the pocket whatsoever. He's a glorified RB playing QB. In Spencer Rattler's case, South Carolina's pass blocking is like the 5th worst in college football right now. In KJ Jefferson's case, it's a lack of feel for the pocket and holding the ball too long. In Will's case, it's a combination of lack of foot quickness in the pocket and protection mistakes up front.

BankerDog
09-22-2023, 02:51 PM
I wonder why Robinson isnt at UGA and why he has been a disappointment here.

Robinson only has himself to blame for production issues. I saw him that first game running lazy routes and not attacking the ball like he should be.

Pancho
09-22-2023, 03:03 PM
he knows when he's the primary target

Todd4State
09-22-2023, 03:05 PM
We are running the JoMo playbook on scheme and the Croom/Woody playbook on coaching ability. Don't know what playbook on "D". Maybe JLD the last few years when we ran out of shut down corners and dominate DL that could pressure/sack the QB with no LB help.

Ron Cooper on D.

MBDawg601
09-22-2023, 05:57 PM

They have all played tougher competition, but I am actually surprised.