PDA

View Full Version : Targeting rule

Maverick91
09-19-2023, 01:43 PM
I am so tired of this rule. It isn?t fairly judged, it is also purely political to try and appease those that hate football.

If this rule was not the above, they would have offensive and defensive targeting rules. I would guess to say more plays than not the offensive player carrying the ball lowers their head upon contact at the same velocity, angle, speed and violence as if a defender was doing the same thing. But no one bats an eye at the offensive player.

It is a stupid rule and until they make it fairly called on both sides of the ball I will not respect it.

Dawgology
09-19-2023, 02:50 PM
I think they need to change it to a PF of 15 yards and no ejection vs. a blatant/flagrant one that should be ruled unsportsmanlike and result in ineligibility for a game. Additionally, it should be called equally for offense and defense. If a defender is making a good tackle and the offensive players tucks and they hit helmets that’s not targeting.

klong-dog
09-19-2023, 03:11 PM
and to think the guy from Colorado State only got a 15 yarder for a much more malicious hit and a late hit at that, which caused a liver laceration, yet didn't get kicked out of game nor suspended. Make it make sense.

Maverick91
09-19-2023, 03:34 PM
I can get behind the 15 penalty. If they review and find it was malicious then kick um for the first half. It’s just really annoying.

I don’t that hit on was bad, it’s football and he him him in the chest, I hope hunter heals very quick and gets on the field soon. But I am been saying it Hunter needs to had 10-15 lbs of muscle. That size will be fine at the Jackson State level not the D1 level.

MaroonFlounder
09-19-2023, 03:55 PM
Shawn Preston is out for the 1st half Saturday, after working his butt off to full-time starter status. Played great in the AZ game. That hit was not targeting, no matter what they say.

Now his backup will be out there, the Freshman, Isaac Smith, who is going to be good, but isn't ready yet. He got TRUCKED to the ground by the LSU RB on Saturday.

GoDawgz
09-19-2023, 04:14 PM
They say, "well its really a rule to protect the defensive player from hurting his neck"....... proper coaching technique teaches the defender to see what he hits.
But if the great concern is actually player safety, then you would have ZERO RB's left by the end of the game due to ejection because there is no smart RB that is going to run into the hole with their head straight up in the air!
Run and tackle behind your pads is the safest way to play the game.... too bad the head, that has a $600 protective helmet on it, gets in the way.
Oh and BTW, yes I played a little ball back in the late 80's and have degenerative disk in my neck from using my head as a battering ram and a State Championship runner up and a State Championship to prove it.
I understood the risk of playing the game and would do it all over again in a second given the opportunity!
If it continues going the way its going....they will ruin the game and will take the helmets away and it will be a game of 7 on 7.
Football isn't and never will be a game for the weak!

starkvegasdawg
09-19-2023, 05:29 PM
And let's not leave out offensive face mask...I'm sorry...I meant stiff arm. A hang nail on a defender's pinky can brush the mask of an offensive player and it's 15 yards. A ball carrier can push a defender down by the face mask and it's all legal.

Maverick91
09-19-2023, 06:14 PM
They say, "well its really a rule to protect the defensive player from hurting his neck"....... proper coaching technique teaches the defender to see what he hits.
But if the great concern is actually player safety, then you would have ZERO RB's left by the end of the game due to ejection because there is no smart RB that is going to run into the hole with their head straight up in the air!
Run and tackle behind your pads is the safest way to play the game.... too bad the head, that has a $600 protective helmet on it, gets in the way.
Oh and BTW, yes I played a little ball back in the late 80's and have degenerative disk in my neck from using my head as a battering ram and a State Championship runner up and a State Championship to prove it.
I understood the risk of playing the game and would do it all over again in a second given the opportunity!
If it continues going the way its going....they will ruin the game and will take the helmets away and it will be a game of 7 on 7.
Football isn't and never will be a game for the weak!

Couldn’t have said it better. So aggravating, also if they really cared about player safety they would allow real tackling drills in practice. The ability to tackle has gone down the drain and it’s very clear even just in the past decade players don’t know how to tackle and players don’t know how to get hit anymore, tackling these circle dummies is not the same as tackling a human.

Maverick91
09-19-2023, 06:15 PM
And let's not leave out offensive face mask...I'm sorry...I meant stiff arm. A hang nail on a defender's pinky can brush the mask of an offensive player and it's 15 yards. A ball carrier can push a defender down by the face mask and it's all legal.

Yeah… the rules are clearly dumb and made by people who either never played the game or big money changed their perspective of what is true player safety. True player safety is everyone understands this is a violent sport not for the faint of heart. We must teach these kids perfect technique and understand someone is going to get hurt at some point.

GoDawgz
09-20-2023, 10:31 AM

Exactly, any other player on the field that puts their hands on the facemask is either flagged for the facemask penalty or hands to the face.
the inconsistency of the rules is bad, but the targeting rule is clearly a subjectable rule to whomever is in the booth that day......I.E. whose best interest is at hand.