PDA

View Full Version : Wyatt video is spot on

BlackSailsDawg
09-19-2023, 11:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PJInB1p-HU

I think that pretty much sums it up. There is a disconnect between coaches and the players in this offense.

Leroy Jenkins
09-19-2023, 11:10 AM
There is a disconnect between coaches and the players in this offense.

Understatement.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2023, 11:37 AM
Matt nails the immaturity of Arnett to complete switch offensive systems with this group of players.

Jomo did the same when he tried to turn Fitz into a passer.

Why can't we learn from mistakes? Why did we make the same mistake twice in a row?

I understand that Arnett didn't want to run the Air Raid or anything close, but he should've seen his roster & known that was the best path for one year.

We should've gradually moved towards what Arnett wants to run vs a complete shift.

BlackSailsDawg
09-19-2023, 11:46 AM
Matt nails the immaturity of Arnett to complete switch offensive systems with this group of players.

Why can't we learn from mistakes? Why did we make the same mistake twice in a row?

I understand that Arnett didn't want to run the Air Raid or anything close, but he should've seen his roster & known that was the best path for one year.

We should've gradually moved towards what Arnett wants to run vs a complete shift.

That's not what he said.

"Who's going to duplicate Mike Leach?" Arnett said on Monday, via ESPN's Alex Scarborough. "There's no chance in hell." "We're not running the pure Air Raid that we ran then," Arnett said.

He talked about keeping it with modification. That is NOT what's happening.

It was after the change that he went with this:

“At the end of the day, I had to find a guy I thought was the right fit for Mississippi State,” he said, “and that oozes out of Coach Barbay.”

Dawgology
09-19-2023, 11:55 AM

I agree and this strategy is rampant amongst head coaches for some reason. I understand wanting to do it your way but common sense would dictate that you need to transition gradually.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2023, 12:07 PM
That's not what he said.

"Who's going to duplicate Mike Leach?" Arnett said on Monday, via ESPN's Alex Scarborough. "There's no chance in hell." "We're not running the pure Air Raid that we ran then," Arnett said.

“At the end of the day, I had to find a guy I thought was the right fit for Mississippi State,” he said, “and that oozes out of Coach Barbay.”

That's what I meant. Obviously Leach was the only pure Air Raid guy left, but we should've run some variation with this roster for at least a year & then evolved more towards what Arnett wants.

So frustrating that this has now happened twice with Arnett & Joe

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2023, 12:10 PM
I agree and this strategy is rampant amongst head coaches for some reason. I understand wanting to do it your way but common sense would dictate that you need to transition gradually.

I feel bad for MSU fans. Two years 2018 & now 2023 where we were set up to win but completely changed offenses due to the previous coach not being there.

We've just got to learn our lesson.

KB21
09-19-2023, 12:16 PM
That's not what he said.

This really makes me believe that someone who is in his ear thinks like many of the fans think. Air Raid isn't the right fit for Mississippi State because Air Raid isn't blue collar and tough enough, or some other misconception many have about the Air Raid.

BlackSailsDawg
09-19-2023, 12:17 PM
That's what I meant. Obviously Leach was the only pure Air Raid guy left, but we should've run some variation with this roster for at least a year & then evolved more towards what Arnett wants.

So frustrating that this has now happened twice with Arnett & Joe

And guess who coaches the QBs?

TrapGame
09-19-2023, 12:30 PM
This really makes me believe that someone who is in his ear thinks like many of the fans think. Air Raid isn't the right fit for Mississippi State because Air Raid isn't blue collar and tough enough, or some other misconception many have about the Air Raid.

I definitely agree with you on this.

BlackSailsDawg
09-19-2023, 12:33 PM

Maybe, but they set him up for failure with the team, fans (listen to the shows, texts, etc).

KB21
09-19-2023, 12:36 PM
Maybe, but they set him up for failure with the team, fans (listen to the shows, texts, etc).

Was it with intent?

Todd4State
09-19-2023, 12:39 PM
I feel bad for MSU fans. Two years 2018 & now 2023 where we were set up to win but completely changed offenses due to the previous coach not being there.

We've just got to learn our lesson.

Even worse- the whole reason to hire Arnett was to maintain continuity. Then he fires the entire offensive staff? WTF?

Based on how pissed off boosters are and from rumors about things my guess is the intent was to do exactly what you are talking about but Arnett went rogue.

Which of you're going to do that- it better work. It was a risky and controversial move and he is getting burned.

And for the Cherry on top we get a bunch of BS fed to us about adapting to our personnel and all of this crap. 17 those guys!!!

Extendedcab
09-19-2023, 12:43 PM
Even worse- the whole reason to hire Arnett was to maintain continuity. Then he fires the entire offensive staff? WTF?

Based on how pissed off boosters are and from rumors about things my guess is the intent was to do exactly what you are talking about but Arnett went rogue.

Which of you're going to do that- it better work. It was a risky and controversial move and he is getting burned.

And for the Cherry on top we get a bunch of BS fed to us about adapting to our personnel and all of this crap. 17 those guys!!!

Dang Todd, I don't think I have seen you this fired up before! I do agree the current situation sucks and I hate it!

Todd4State
09-19-2023, 12:44 PM
Actually this is probably worse than Joe because at least Joe didn't 17 up the defense!

BlackSailsDawg
09-19-2023, 12:48 PM
Was it with intent?

Ignorance.

TorpedoIPA
09-19-2023, 12:49 PM

Is it possible that Arnette had to agree to ditch the Air Raid in order to get the job ?

drummerdawg
09-19-2023, 01:29 PM
That's not what he said.

Somebody on, I believe it was SEC Nation this past weekend, said that Arnett told them he wanted to change offensive schemes because he felt his defense was on the field too much with the Leach air raid offense.

KB21
09-19-2023, 01:33 PM
Somebody on, I believe it was SEC Nation this past weekend, said that Arnett told them he wanted to change offensive schemes because he felt his defense was on the field too much with the Leach air raid offense.

That was McGee from Marty and McGee, and I hope he was just making that comment up. Because if Arnett actually said that, then there is no hope for him.

Santiago
09-19-2023, 01:34 PM

He must not have been thinking in advance about the play clock that now continues after first downs and plays, and shortens the game now. That passing attack of CML, when just some additional run game packages, would easily eat up 3/4 of a quarter in games this season.
He really missed an advantage of at least having an experienced team that could run a system, and then go from there on working in more run packages.

Instead he has gone the JOMO route.

Santiago
09-19-2023, 01:35 PM
Is it possible that Arnette had to agree to ditch the Air Raid in order to get the job ?

If so, I wonder who he had to convince of that, without an AD. Who were the influencers for that, other than some on our site***

BlackSailsDawg
09-19-2023, 01:35 PM

He did say that. We are changing with the wind..............

Santiago
09-19-2023, 01:40 PM

Agree with you Todd. This is infuriating that we recruited and built up personnel that could run the air raid, and that is even with Will running it.
Parson, with his mobility, running a version of the air raid.....dang he would have diced up defenses.
I would watch Will miss so many guys open in the Air Raid, and it would only get me excited for when the better QBs started running the system.

Can someone fill in any inside information on why Hollingshead was not made the OC or kept in some way? Coach Leach had a much bigger track record of identifying young up and coming coaches that later make it big as a HC. CML really saw something in Hollingshead it seems.

The air raid was an equalizer against more talented teams, and Arnett has decided to completely toss it.

memsu06
09-19-2023, 01:51 PM
The Air Raid allowed teams with less talent to hang with the big boys with more talent. Sure the ceiling may never get you a championship, but you have potential to pull off some big wins.

The QB doesn't have to hold onto the ball long which helps the OL protect. You most likely don't face blitzing defenses because they'll be dropping 8 in coverage. There are only a few plays which keeps things simple.

You just have to have a QB with 70%+ completion percentages to throw into the tight zones. The only X factor was a QB that could run. Most QBs that can run can't throw and those that can throw can't run.

Leach was on his way to recruiting QBs that could run.

This new offense takes too long for plays to develop and is way more complicated than the Air Raid. We don't have good enough OL play to block long enough for the play to develop. Then with an immobile QB it just complicates things.

We need to simplify this offense so plays have time to develop. Barbay needs to figure that out, and Arnett needs to look for a OL coach next year. I'm willing to give Arnett time to figure this out. It's just not going to be fun to watch the season unfold.

KB21
09-19-2023, 01:53 PM
Agree with you Todd. This is infuriating that we recruited and built up personnel that could run the air raid, and that is even with Will running it.
Parson, with his mobility, running a version of the air raid.....dang he would have diced up defenses.
I would watch Will miss so many guys open in the Air Raid, and it would only get me excited for when the better QBs started running the system.

Can someone fill in any inside information on why Hollingshead was not made the OC or kept in some way? Coach Leach had a much bigger track record of identifying young up and coming coaches that later make it big as a HC. CML really saw something in Hollingshead it seems.

The air raid was an equalizer against more talented teams, and Arnett has decided to completely toss it.

Yep. You could also see how Mike was already looking to evolve his Air Raid and modernize it. It's not just about Chris Parson, but both Sawyer Robertson and Bradyn Locke had some mobility and ability to extend plays. So, he was recruiting QBs who had accuracy, intelligence, and escapability to run his scheme. Heck, if Mike were still alive, Trey Petty would already be committed to us. He got Creed Whittemore in this last recruiting cycle at WR. Seth Davis at RB.

gtowndawg
09-19-2023, 01:57 PM

I cringed when Arnett gave the whole lunch box, hard hat speech (because that's who Miss. State is)! It's what my Dad use to say in the 80's. "People always know they played Miss. State when they wake up on Sunday!"

Now we totally sucked and couldn't beat anybody but dad gum we were tough!

Santiago
09-19-2023, 02:01 PM
The Air Raid allowed teams with less talent to hang with the big boys with more talent. Sure the ceiling may never get you a championship, but you have potential to pull off some big wins.

The QB doesn't have to hold onto the ball long which helps the OL protect. You most likely don't face blitzing defenses because they'll be dropping 8 in coverage. There are only a few plays which keeps things simple.

You just have to have a QB with 70%+ completion percentages to throw into the tight zones. The only X factor was a QB that could run. Most QBs that can run can't throw and those that can throw can't run.

This new offense takes too long for plays to develop and is way more complicated than the Air Raid. We don't have good enough OL play to block long enough for the play to develop. Then with an immobile QB it just complicates things.

We need to simplify this offense so plays have time to develop. Barbay needs to figure that out, and Arnett needs to look for a OL coach next year. I'm willing to give Arnett time to figure this out. It's just not going to be fun to watch the season unfold.

I really do not understand why Arnett let Mason Miller go, but I was not privy to their working relationship.
I totally agree on this about the air raid, that it is the great equalizer. And Coach Leach was just starting to bring in athletic QB's which was about to make this really fun. Will is a great guy, but was not an SEC QB, and yet that offense had him serviceable.

Arnett talking about giving his defense a breather, geeze I thought we actually led most of the league in time of possession the last couple of years. This year, with the play clock continuing to run, we would have had even more control of a game with it.

Those on here with all the RTGDF stuff, I get it somewhat but we did have a really good setup going for us and just needed to add in some run packages.

BlackSailsDawg
09-19-2023, 02:29 PM
Yeah, when he stated that I was like wth are you talkibg about

bluelightstar
09-19-2023, 02:37 PM
By the end of last year, our pure Air Raid offense was largely ineffective. Why does everyone assume we?d be having offensive success if we had just kept that system? Look at the stats starting with Kentucky. It was not good.

Dawgface
09-19-2023, 02:57 PM
By the end of last year, our pure Air Raid offense was largely ineffective. Why does everyone assume we?d be having offensive success if we had just kept that system? Look at the stats starting with Kentucky. It was not good.

I don't have the stats to back it up but what I remember Leach was running the ball a little more and being effective with it. It gave many of us hope that he was moving in a direction of maybe a 60/40 pass/run ratio in the future. I was hoping for not a pure air raid but a modified version. After his death that would have been a decent transition for this year and not a complete revamping of the offense. But the run guys like c34 were not in favor of that and sure enough....we got a total revamp job. Oh well...

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2023, 03:55 PM

It wasn't the system. It was bad QB.

Throw any of Ole Miss' 4 QBs into the air raid & we would've been much better

Santiago
09-19-2023, 04:03 PM

This all day long! If we had an SEC QB in the system, we extend drives, and the 4th downs such as last year against LSU, become tougher for a defense knowing our QB can get it on his own also.

dawgday166
09-19-2023, 04:04 PM

I approve of this post, although I might not say all 4 of OMs QBs. Howevah, Bucky will be along directly to vehemently dispute this and to make sure we all know Will is the greatest MSU QB ever ****

dawgday166
09-19-2023, 04:09 PM
This all day long! If we had an SEC QB in the system, we extend drives, and the 4th downs such as last year against LSU, become tougher for a defense knowing our QB can get it on his own also.

Not just this either. I can't count the number of times Will has passed 3 or 4 yds short of the sticks on 3rd down with nowhere for the receiver to run. He anxious to get that ball outta his hands.

Mjoelner34
09-19-2023, 04:24 PM

I just looked and we were 6th in the SEC in T.O.P. last year and less than a minute out of 4th place.

ETA: We were #1 in the SEC in 2021 by 2 minutes. We currently sit at #14 in the SEC and #128 in the nation. How is that working out for him?

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot?date=2023-01-10

Santiago
09-19-2023, 04:34 PM
I just looked and we were 6th in the SEC in T.O.P. last year and less than a minute out of 4th place.

ETA: We were #1 in the SEC in 2021 by 2 minutes. We currently sit at #14 in the SEC and #128 in the nation. How is that working out for him?

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot?date=2023-01-10

yep, that was an excuse on Arnett's part to say that BS.
And really if we have an SEC QB running that air raid under Coach Leach, we extend even more drives.
One thing for sure, that WR room is as good in depth as any time before, and many came for the air raid.

KB21
09-19-2023, 04:36 PM
yep, that was an excuse on Arnett's part to say that BS.
And really if we have an SEC QB running that air raid under Coach Leach, we extend even more drives.
One thing for sure, that WR room is as good in depth as any time before, and many came for the air raid.

The depth is good. I don't think there is a true #1 option on the roster at the moment. However, I do think Creed has the ability to be a #1.

coachnorm
09-19-2023, 05:18 PM

This reply is aggressive but respectful so please accept my respect even though it is contrary to the content. Where is there evidence of CML looking for a running quarterback? This holding the ball to long is only partly the issue because other offenses have the same problems that a Will Rogers has. The coaching profession has answers to receivers not getting open because of great secondary play or defensive line play. Because of professional understanding of the difficulties, the quarterback gets reps that launches, the ball, towards a receiver that has position but not separation. This is an answer to the problem, not sorry check downs etc. This also takes pressure of the offensive line to prolong pass protection. An offense needs to have this curriculum and has to be practiced.

Air Raid and Spread offenses have the same formations. Running mesh in Spread is the same as Air Raid. Running Indio/Dagger is the same in Air Raid as is in Spread so where is the difference? The Air Raid does not feature match up contested catches like most other offenses do in D1 and NFL. Air Raid does checkdowns while Spread does contested catches? The non-Air Raid offenses have most of the Air Raid PLUS match up contested catches incorporated into their business plan. Is there any verbiage in the Air Raid that forbids four verticals and a match-up 50-50 pass if time runs out on pass protection of the offensive line. Great plays in which a quarterback gets crushed while delivering a contested catch exist, but not Will Rogers.

If fellow elitedoggers disagree with this I recommend a reference of last years Tennessee-Alabama and this years FSU-LSU games and you might find this on point. Schemes had less to do with wining but contested catches of passes launched while the quarterback is at risk won those games.

I personally wish Matt Wyatt would address this content. This stated with respect to Matt.

Bothrops
09-19-2023, 05:23 PM
We're never going to have a complete team. There will always be something missing. Right now it's the qb position, the DL, and the OL, but mainly the qb position. I mean how many passes were thrown in the dirt Saturday?

BlackSailsDawg
09-19-2023, 05:42 PM
Matt did address it in the linked video. And he isn't on the same page at all with you.

coachnorm
09-19-2023, 06:00 PM
Matt did address it in the linked video. And he isn't on the same page at all with you.

Could you give me the timeline location, on the video, that discussed contested catches? The whole purpose of my statement was to imply that we were not on the same page because the content stated is not in his presentations.

War Machine Dawg
09-20-2023, 03:12 PM
I approve of this post, although I might not say all 4 of OMs QBs. Howevah, Bucky will be along directly to vehemently dispute this and to make sure we all know Will is the greatest MSU QB ever ****

Find someone who loves you the way Bucky loves Will.

dawgday166
09-20-2023, 11:32 PM
Find someone who loves you the way Bucky loves Will.

LOL ... I don't think anyone can find someone to love them that much.