PDA

View Full Version : Should We Move to 4 DL?

confucius say
09-19-2023, 07:52 AM
Insert Anderson and remove Page. Does that help get your best 11 on the field?

Would probably leave Russell, Pick,the juco guy, and dinkins at DT. Crumedy and Anderson at ends. Williams rotate in.

WinningIsRelentless
09-19-2023, 08:04 AM

Would probably leave Russell, Pick,the juco guy, and dinkins at DT. Crumedy and Anderson at ends. Williams rotate in.

That or flip page and Watson and see how that works.

confucius say
09-19-2023, 08:31 AM
Yep. I mentioned that in another thread. Watson has played Sam in the past. Move him there and page to Mike (with a young guy working in). Watson is much better of an edge rusher than page.

Leroy Jenkins
09-19-2023, 08:51 AM
If you make the Sam a DE, who takes over the Sam responsibility in coverage?

Cooterpoot
09-19-2023, 08:55 AM
Yes, but we don't have the players for it. We've got one guy to throw in there really. No depth at all.

Goldendawg
09-19-2023, 09:07 AM
I addressed this in another thread also. We are getting little to no pressure on the QB even when we rush 1 or 2 LB's ( Lack of speed does not help ). When we rush LB's, the opposing RB's are killing us in the flats. Brock is also in over his head which is a big negative. CZA loves his 3-3-5 and I see him being JoMo stubborn in giving it up. It like JLD's D is very vulnerable without lockdown corners and we don't have those. I think opposing O's have caught up to the 3-3-5. Why do so few run it? Time for a change. We have given up over 900 yards against the two teams we have played that may or may not be very good, LSU, and good AZ.

Goldendawg
09-19-2023, 09:14 AM
Yes, but we don't have the players for it. We've got one guy to throw in there really. No depth at all.

Looks like the Air Raid and CZA running a decent D for 3 years (Maybe his ceiling at DL. Time will quickly tell) hid our poor recruiting, development, and like of depth. I thought we had this plus the most veteran team in the SEC this year. Now looks like we were really following the baseball masterplan of the last two years. *** Add in a rookie coaching staff and we may indeed finish last as predicted by the media and SEC coaching peers. Did no one see this imperfect storm coming?

Maverick91
09-19-2023, 09:50 AM

So we were straight lied to about our depth?

Goldendawg
09-19-2023, 09:58 AM
So we were straight lied to about our depth?

My HS team my SR year looked great in practice against the reserves. Problems came when we played other teams. We went 1-9 (with a first year HC) and were shut out 6 times. Every road game was their homecoming. Saw a lot of pretty girls and corvettes during halftime festivities, however.***

CaptainObvious
09-19-2023, 10:01 AM
I?d try to run a 5-3-5 and try to get away with it!😳😳

But seriously if we don?t have speed at LB, we need to go to a 3-4-4 and use a 210 lb strong safety as a hybrid LB to cover the backs.

BlackSailsDawg
09-19-2023, 10:07 AM

Well per the HC that's a week to week decision based on who they are playing and the health of the DL. I mean literally stated that.

Goldendawg
09-19-2023, 10:11 AM
I?d try to run a 5-3-5 and try to get away with it!����

But seriously if we don?t have speed at LB, we need to go to a 3-4-4 and use a 210 lb strong safety as a hybrid LB to cover the backs.

Heck, we already have tackles pulling in different directions on O. We would totally run into each other with a 5-3-5 and Brock would be even more confused calling plays!**** I have often closed posts with Hail State! Maybe i should change to H*LL? State? as I, too, am totally baffled by the lack of performance and game planning by this staff and team.

Goldendawg
09-19-2023, 10:14 AM
Well per the HC that's a week to week decision based on who they are playing and the health of the DL. I mean literally stated that.

Many of their statements after these three games show a total level of incompetence compared to the other SEC coaches in the West. A couple of East coaches might make similar admissions.

PMDawg
09-19-2023, 10:18 AM
Not playing 10-12 yards off receivers and playing zones with huge holes in them would be my first changes.

LC Dawg
09-19-2023, 10:18 AM
I was surprised we didn't run any 4 man fronts against LSU to see if we could get some pressure on Daniels.
But we decided to give the "running qb" all day to throw and it seemed to work a little because he only completed 88% of his passes.

CaptainObvious
09-19-2023, 10:19 AM
I don?t think you DO! See. You know how to TAKE a reservation. You just don?t know how to KEEP a reservation. If you did, I would have a car!

BlackSailsDawg
09-19-2023, 10:25 AM
Many of their statements after these three games show a total level of incompetence compared to the other SEC coaches in the West. A couple of East coaches might make similar admissions.

That statement says to me, we don't know what to do with what we have and that causes a lack of identity.

bulldawg28
09-20-2023, 03:14 AM
I addressed this in another thread also. We are getting little to no pressure on the QB even when we rush 1 or 2 LB's ( Lack of speed does not help ). When we rush LB's, the opposing RB's are killing us in the flats. Brock is also in over his head which is a big negative. CZA loves his 3-3-5 and I see him being JoMo stubborn in giving it up. It like JLD's D is very vulnerable without lockdown corners and we don't have those. I think opposing O's have caught up to the 3-3-5. Why do so few run it? Time for a change. We have given up over 900 yards against the two teams we have played that may or may not be very good, LSU, and good AZ.

This is the problem 1000%. The defense has been figured out.

bulldawg28
09-20-2023, 06:03 AM
This defense has athletes that are faster than some experienced players. The coaches are being loyal rather than putting the best on the field. It's across the board.

confucius say
09-20-2023, 07:29 AM
This defense has athletes that are faster than some experienced players. The coaches are being loyal rather than putting the best on the field. It's across the board.

Which athletes should be playing that are not? Thinking the young LB or safety?

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-20-2023, 07:30 AM
3-3-5 is about being unpredictable. The 3DL eat up blockers and you can do anything you want as far as blitzing or coverage.

I see 2 issues this season:

1) where are the creative blitzes/coverages? I've seen no slot corner blitzes, no DE drop into coverage to try to pick off the safety valve throw, no S coming up to blitz, and the LBs tell you what they're going to do before every snap.

2) in order to have your back 8 be capable of "mixing it up" they have to be fast enough to get into unexpected spots. We aren't. Can't afford to have bookie and Jett fake a blitz over the A gap because neither are quick enough to cover the swing pass the O counters an overload blitz with. Can't afford to blitz a slot corner because the safety can't get into position quick enough post snap.

If you are slow, you have to win on physicality. Wheat could do that last year to get pressure. Forbes was tiny but beat blockers with aggression and blew up WR screens. This season, nobody fights through blockers. If the offense schemes to have a hat on a hat their play will succeed. And because we're not doing anything chaotic and our players aren't fast enough to get somewhere unexpected, it's very easy to scheme that up.

bulldawg28
09-20-2023, 12:33 PM
Which athletes should be playing that are not? Thinking the young LB or safety?

We definitely have multiple faster and more athletic younger LB's on the team that are not playing. The safety situation is different. We put the safties in terrible situations covering the slot WR's with no help. IMO, we should bring another corner if we want to keep playing this aggressive.

Maverick91
09-20-2023, 01:02 PM
We definitely have multiple faster and more athletic younger LB's on the team that are not playing. The safety situation is different. We put the safties in terrible situations covering the slot WR's with no help. IMO, we should bring another corner if we want to keep playing this aggressive.

Banks is a former high four star corner if we ever need a safety to cover a corner it needs to be him. He is pretty good in coverage.

bulldawg28
09-20-2023, 01:51 PM
Banks is a former high four star corner if we ever need a safety to cover a corner it needs to be him. He is pretty good in coverage.

The problem is when teams run 4 WR's in the formation. We're cooked when that happens in this defense.

Goldendawg
09-20-2023, 02:02 PM
The problem is when teams run 4 WR's in the formation. We're cooked when that happens in this defense.

This D only works well with lock down CB's that we don't have at this time. Loved the great Joe Lee Dunn D's but they also fell apart without the Robert Bean, Fred Smoot type talent.