PDA

View Full Version : One thing about the OL coach debate

Coach34
09-18-2023, 02:48 PM
Defenses against the Airbone would only rush 3 or 4 men alot. We faced the drop 8 on the reg. Bama and some other talented teams would bring more heat and we would struggle as many remember the last 3 years. We were last in the SEC in 2020 in sacks allowed, tied for 10th in 2021. Improved to 7th in 2022 thanks to all the dump down passes that have made Marks our school's all-time receptions leader. Pass pro for the Drop 8 is not that hard to coach or play in.

This season we are seeing teams bring more pressure and such. We are struggling to adjust to teams bringing more guys after facing the Drop 8 so many times in previous seasons. Teams are playing us completely different than in years past. Hopefully we get adjusted sooner rather than later.

basedog
09-18-2023, 03:05 PM
Defenses against the Airbone would only rush 3 or 4 men alot. We faced the drop 8 on the reg. Bama and some other talented teams would bring more heat and we would struggle as many remember the last 3 years. We were last in the SEC in 2020 in sacks allowed, tied for 10th in 2021. Improved to 7th in 2022 thanks to all the dump down passes that have made Marks our school's all-time receptions leader. Pass pro for the Drop 8 is not that hard to coach or play in.

This season we are seeing teams bring more pressure and such. We are struggling to adjust to teams bringing more guys after facing the Drop 8 so many times in previous seasons. Teams are playing us completely different than in years past. Hopefully we get adjusted sooner rather than later.

Good points, my biggest complaint has been we haven't adjusted game plan on both sides of the ball. Very concerning after three weeks, we haven't shown improvement.

Goldendawg
09-18-2023, 03:07 PM
That play pulling both guards in opposite directions will keep the other D guessing.

KB21
09-18-2023, 03:11 PM
Which OL coach is responsible for this:
https://x.com/alestate2020/status/1703507849039471058?s=20

Really Clark?
09-18-2023, 03:12 PM
That play pulling both guards in opposite directions will keep the other D guessing.

That was keystone cops bad

Leroy Jenkins
09-18-2023, 03:19 PM

That is 10 players running a counter the the left, and one guy running it to the right. Dolla must have missed the "opposite" call. But at least he finished it.*

Commercecomet24
09-18-2023, 03:25 PM
Hey you got to give them some credit at least they didn't block each other, lol. I saw a play Florida vs utah this year where florida did that but the 2 ol knocked each other down. Also Dolla showed some good quick feet and at least blocked someone, lol. Yeesh that was bad.

Goldendawg
09-18-2023, 03:27 PM
That is 10 players running a counter the the left, and one guy running it to the right. Dolla must have missed the "opposite" call. But at least he finished it.*

We have been waiting on Bill to have a breakout season for 4 years now. That looked like a guard from one side and Bill from the other. Maybe the confusion is from our having two OL coaches, one for C/G and the other for T/TE's. Who else does this? Maybe they are confused as the players.

My bad. It was both tackles. If one OL coach can't correct, maybe the other can!*****

Bdawg
09-18-2023, 03:38 PM

Oh Wow! That’s the ole tackles switch places play! Gotta love that one! Works every time except when we try it!! Color me shocked!!****

Leroy Jenkins
09-18-2023, 04:12 PM
Oh Wow! That’s the ole tackles switch places play! Gotta love that one! Works every time except when we try it!! Color me shocked!!****

I'm waiting on the Matt Wyatt film study for this one.

Westdawg
09-18-2023, 04:16 PM

Oh my gosh

Westdawg
09-18-2023, 04:21 PM
I?ve coached A LOT of jr high o-lines that never did this.
It?s like an offensive line double Tackle Stunt hahahaha. Keeps the defense guessing nearly as much as the offense was.
I can imagine a jr high DE or OLB trying to read the OTs and the entire front 7 on D just piling up with the RB going for the TD on the counter Hahahaha??and then it sinks in that I?m watching my alma mater?s SEC offense

DawgFromOxford
09-18-2023, 04:32 PM
Nothing like watching our 5 lineman not be able to block their 4 rushers

BankerDog
09-18-2023, 04:36 PM
Just toting the line for your buddy Brad. By the way-what?s your nickname for this offense?

THE Bruce Dickinson
09-18-2023, 04:38 PM
This can't be true . I was told we were struggling because we weren't showing the entire playbook.

Goldendawg
09-18-2023, 04:39 PM
Nothing like watching our 5 lineman not be able to block their 4 rushers

With two OL coaches to teach them to boot. And what do you mean our 5? We also have a "TE" on most plays blocking as they certainly don't go out for many passes at all.

EdwardDrayton
09-18-2023, 04:45 PM
Hey you got to give them some credit at least they didn't block each other, lol.

LOL!!

confucius say
09-18-2023, 06:55 PM

I told y'all this. Nobody would listen. We suck up front. The air raid hides talent deficiencies, which is why it was good for us. We have no OL who will sniff the next level and a QB who is, strictly from a physical talent standpoint, D2.

Goldendawg
09-18-2023, 07:00 PM
I told y'all this. Nobody would listen. We suck up front. The air raid hides talent deficiencies, which is why it was good for us. We have no OL who will sniff the next level and a QB who is, strictly from a physical talent standpoint, D2.

Heard a commercial recently that said the qualifications of a good QB were a strong arm, mobility, and pocket presence. The Air Raid hid that our QB was 0-3 in these areas. Really not fair to keep trotting him out there in so many ways. Try someone else for more than two plays handing it off in a series. At least we will know.

KB21
09-18-2023, 07:07 PM
Heard a commercial recently that said the qualifications of a good QB were a strong arm, mobility, and pocket presence. The Air Raid hid that our QB was 0-3 in these areas. Really not fair to keep trotting him out there in so many ways. Try someone else for more than two plays handing it off in a series. At least we will know.

That commercial is incorrect.

The qualities of a good QB are accuracy and decision making.

confucius say
09-18-2023, 07:10 PM
The first mistake was running this offense instead of air raid concepts this year. It ain't hard. It's only like 12 plays that everybody knew.

The second was keeping this personnel if you're going to run this offense.

confucius say
09-18-2023, 07:13 PM

But you have to the minimum amount of arm strength.

The only system that masks Will's deficiencies enough to be productive is the air raid. Going away from it was stupid if you're plan was was to keep him.

R2Dawg
09-18-2023, 07:25 PM

We've had none of those this year either. Dang worse than I thought.

R2Dawg
09-18-2023, 07:26 PM
But you have to the minimum amount of arm strength.

The only system that masks Will's deficiencies enough to be productive is the air raid. Going away from it was stupid if you're plan was was to keep him.

This is true. Whoever talked Will into staying made a huge mistake. Just wonder who that was? Keenum, cigar boys? CZA? Anyone know who? There is the answer to a lot of our problems.

R2Dawg
09-18-2023, 07:27 PM
You can't tell a coach come run your O or D but Oh you have to keep A,B and C in the process. It don't work that way.

Coach34
09-18-2023, 07:31 PM

Neither. Thats called having a dumbass on your OL. I know how to spot that well. I've been "blessed" with many

Todd4State
09-18-2023, 07:45 PM
I?ve coached A LOT of jr high o-lines that never did this.
It?s like an offensive line double Tackle Stunt hahahaha. Keeps the defense guessing nearly as much as the offense was.
I can imagine a jr high DE or OLB trying to read the OTs and the entire front 7 on D just piling up with the RB going for the TD on the counter Hahahaha??and then it sinks in that I?m watching my alma mater?s SEC offense

Reverse counter?** LOL.

Cooterpoot
09-18-2023, 08:21 PM
We lack talent on the OL mainly because we refuse to play our best ones together. Guys pulling in two directions on one play is damn laughable. This staff is a mess. Barbay calls Wright "our spark" but leaves him on the bench. DC puts a young injured S on Nabors in man coverage. Just shitastic coaching all around.

BuckyIsAB****
09-18-2023, 08:23 PM
This is true. Whoever talked Will into staying made a huge mistake. Just wonder who that was? Keenum, cigar boys? CZA? Anyone know who? There is the answer to a lot of our problems.

Our staff told our kids we werent getting rid of the air raid. Then we hired our chief of staff and that died

Cooterpoot
09-18-2023, 08:32 PM
Our staff told our kids we werent getting rid of the air raid. Then we hired our chief of staff and that died

Bingo! Peterson and the boosters 17'd this deal up. Keenum is an idiot.

BlackSailsDawg
09-18-2023, 08:32 PM

No words.... What the lack of teaching is that!

BuckyIsAB****
09-18-2023, 08:33 PM

No. Up to this point they have blatantly lied to kids and their families

Cooterpoot
09-18-2023, 08:55 PM

I've heard. It's a train wreck that's typical Miss State.

BankerDog
09-18-2023, 08:56 PM

Peterson?s reputation in the state will suffer because of this. I?ll just leave it at that. There is one big State booster in the Brandon area that is not happy.

BankerDog
09-18-2023, 08:57 PM
No words.... What the lack of teaching is that!

The type of teaching that got Friend fired from Auburn and UT..

WeDemBoyz
09-18-2023, 09:17 PM
Peterson?s reputation in the state will suffer because of this. I?ll just leave it at that. There is one big State booster in the Brandon area that is not happy.

Let me guess? your user name is how you know them? Is Brandon area code for Flowood? If so, i am their plumber and was at their house today and most definitely felt the vibe.

KB21
09-18-2023, 09:57 PM
The last time I remember it being said that Mississippi State was hiring a staff with strong Mississippi ties and SEC ties was when the Joe Judge deal was all but done.

Todd4State
09-18-2023, 10:09 PM

So let me get this straight. Brad Peterson told Arnett to not run the Air Raid? Why didn't Arnett say "uh thanks for the advice but I'm the head coach and by the way we have no right ends on the roster"?

BuckyIsAB****
09-19-2023, 06:00 AM
So let me get this straight. Brad Peterson told Arnett to not run the Air Raid? Why didn't Arnett say "uh thanks for the advice but I'm the head coach and by the way we have no right ends on the roster"?

Because he was pretty vulnerable at the time and im sure was looking for any kind of guidance and support he could get from his staff

KB21
09-19-2023, 06:24 AM
Because he was pretty vulnerable at the time and im sure was looking for any kind of guidance and support he could get from his staff

A lot of issues would have been solved by just offering the coordinator spot to Chris Hatcher and keeping the offensive staff mostly intact. Having that experienced head coach on staff and maintaining the continuity would have had a major impact.

KB21
09-19-2023, 06:26 AM
So, what exactly was Peterson?s issue with Mike Leach? Does he have the same mindset as the typical MSU fan in believing that the only way you can win at Mississippi State is by being a run heavy team?

Really Clark?
09-19-2023, 06:41 AM
A lot of issues would have been solved by just offering the coordinator spot to Chris Hatcher and keeping the offensive staff mostly intact. Having that experienced head coach on staff and maintaining the continuity would have had a major impact.

Hatcher didn't want to give up his HC position

KB21
09-19-2023, 06:51 AM
What I want to know is whether they made a concerted effort to keep the Air Raid offense, because there are a lot of AR coaches they could have talked to.

I know Zach Kittley will not leave TT unless it?s for a head job. Why didn?t they talk to Ben Arbuckle, who is the next Kittley and a rising star? What happened with Seth Littrell?

Leroy Jenkins
09-19-2023, 07:10 AM

I was going to say the exact same thing. Who knew Brad "deep state" Peterson was the mastermind all along? LOL.

And even if he did make statements to people around the state about the future offense, any rational person would have thought to themselves, "Dude, thanks for the insight, but you are an administrator."

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/out-of-left-field/id1494796677?i=1000626275469

confucius say
09-19-2023, 07:36 AM
I was going to say the exact same thing. Who knew Brad "deep state" Peterson was the mastermind all along? LOL.

And even if he did say that, any rational person would have said, "Dude, thanks for the insight, but you are an administrator."

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/out-of-left-field/id1494796677?i=1000626275469

Arnett values Brad a lot. They are always together, even away from the complex. They are always together at the complex. Brad is his right hand.

And im not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. This offense can work in time with the right personnel. Im just explaining why arnett would listen to Brad.

Todd4State
09-19-2023, 07:39 AM

Then Arnett is in over his head and not ready to be a head coach.

Leroy Jenkins
09-19-2023, 07:45 AM
Arnett values Brad a lot. They are always together, even away from the complex. They are always together at the complex. Brad is his right hand.

And im not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. This offense can work in time with the right personnel. Im just explaining why arnett would listen to Brad.

I'm saying why would anyone else around the state (not CZA) be upset about an administrator being wrong about future decisions about X's and O's.

Cooterpoot
09-19-2023, 07:47 AM
Then Arnett is in over his head and not ready to be a head coach.

There's no question about that. He wasn't ready for this and our President stuck him in there. People can say what they want about timing, and both sides of that argument have points. Bottom line is we had no plan and we panicked.

confucius say
09-19-2023, 07:49 AM
I'm saying why would anyone else around the state (not CZA) be upset about an administrator being wrong about future decisions about X's and O's.

I don't think anybody would in a vacuum. Assuming it's true, I think people would be upset with arnett for talking the advice.

Leroy Jenkins
09-19-2023, 08:00 AM
Bottom line is we had no plan and we panicked.

We didn't have a contingency in the event the HC suddenly, and unexpectedly, dropped dead? Well, we deserve what we got and anyone around the state who was misled has a right to be angry.*

If people are angry about plans that were made at that time not working out as intended, then I just don't know what to tell them other than, shit happens.

Todd4State
09-19-2023, 08:01 AM

That part makes sense to me. If they're telling recruits that we're going to keep running a version of the Air Raid and then it turns out to be Neanderball then if you're a wide receiver who made a decision to attend MSU in part because of the offensive scheme you were told by the staff and you can't even rotate into the game- I can understand them being upset about that along with their parents. Or a QB recruit.

That's being misled and that's me putting it in a nice way.

Todd4State
09-19-2023, 08:08 AM
We didn't have a contingency in the event the HC suddenly, and unexpectedly, dropped dead? Well, we deserve what we got.

Not having an AD was a huge issue too.

Sounds to me like boosters took advantage of the situation and put their friends in place.

They should have gotten an AD. Done a national search. End of story.

Sure we might have lost recruits but now if this continues they're going to probably leave anyway. And with the portal it's a lot easier to rebuild even if the class fell apart. So what was the point again?

Leroy Jenkins
09-19-2023, 08:13 AM
Sorry, the written word can be lacking in tone and inflection. Should have added *******

Here's the last thing Ill say about it.

Y'all make it sound like Peterson was sitting in his office (rubbing his hands together like a cartoon villain) with a plot to tell everyone we aren't changing philosophy. We didn't even have a OC candidate list. So, even if the plan was to stay air raid, there was no way to know for certain that it would work out that way.

I understand if people are not happy with what we have, but to imply that it was an intentional attempt at misleading players/coaches/parents is just pot-stirring and not accurate.

Cooterpoot
09-19-2023, 09:02 AM
Sorry, the written word can be lacking in tone and inflection. Should have added *******

Y'all make it sound like Peterson was sitting in his office (rubbing his hands together like a cartoon villain) with a plot to tell everyone we aren't changing philosophy. We didn't even have a OC candidate list. So, even if the plan was to stay air raid, there was no way to know for certain that it would work out that way.

I understand if people are not happy with what we have, but to imply that it was an intentional attempt at misleading players/coaches/parents is just pot-stirring and not accurate.

One person said one thing and one person nixed that. Arnett and the staff is going to pay the price for decisions they let others make for them instead of doing what they said. Arnett isn't who we thought he was.

BuckyIsAB****
09-19-2023, 09:38 AM

Well they absolutely mislead players and parents. That is 100 percent fact

BuckyIsAB****
09-19-2023, 09:40 AM
So, what exactly was Peterson?s issue with Mike Leach? Does he have the same mindset as the typical MSU fan in believing that the only way you can win at Mississippi State is by being a run heavy team?

Coach P is about as anti air raid as you can get for one, when Leach came in Brad left. There is definitely an axe to grind. Peterson hired this staff. Arnett had to sign off but it was basically a figure head type deal. The bottom line is, we put egos and personal preferences over what our kids could do. We lied to some

SPMT
09-19-2023, 09:43 AM

Can?t disagree with this.

BlackSailsDawg
09-19-2023, 09:54 AM

Sir, he had the AR installed with a capable staff on the sideline. He did not hesitate to put an unproven Brook in at DC. He told the world we were keeping the AR. Don't say it if you don't mean it.

So yep... straight lied!

BlackSailsDawg
09-19-2023, 09:57 AM
I mean... this is what these kids learned for 3 years and it is a vet team.

Continuity? Keep the same staff. Go in and say "we all have 1 year to prove that we can improve".

Wasn't that hard to do

CoachT14
09-19-2023, 10:26 AM
I mean... this is what these kids learned for 3 years and it is a vet team.

Continuity? Keep the same staff. Go in and say "we all have 1 year to prove that we can improve".

Wasn't that hard to do

The worst part of all this, continuity was the excuse for Arnett getting hired. Well there has yet to be continuity except on the defensive staff kind of. Otherwise, it's nothing like the past.

BSD I know you and I got into debates about the Leach AR and it's issues/successes, but I never in a million years thought this would be the result.

BlackSailsDawg
09-19-2023, 10:44 AM
The worst part of all this, continuity was the excuse for Arnett getting hired. Well there has yet to be continuity except on the defensive staff kind of. Otherwise, it's nothing like the past.

BSD I know you and I got into debates about the Leach AR and it's issues/successes, but I never in a million years thought this would be the result.

Well, I prefer AR with TEs and more run.

This is really coaching. I saw it stated that Colorado hired a new HC and the HC hired a New OC who had his people come in with him. The HC then dismissed over 70 players and got 86 new guys in. Their Offense is clean and producing. 86 guys tht had not been in that system and never played together. Yet we have a vet team and our OL can not block. We have people pulling in the wrong direction. I mean that's JR high level issues.

All of us did not think we would get this again.

Leroy Jenkins
09-19-2023, 11:07 AM
Sir, he had the AR installed with a capable staff on the sideline. He did not hesitate to put an unproven Brook in at DC. He told the world we were keeping the AR. Don't say it if you don't mean it.

So yep... straight lied!

The only promise I recall regarding play-calling was when we went to ATL, because Marks had left, and guaranteed him we were running the ball.

What is the purpose in lying to a bunch of one-trick ponies to get them to stay in a system you know they can't execute? I'm gonna lie to keep players for a system I know they can't perform in? No. Did we tell Locke, Robertson, etc. we were staying AR?

Also, saying something that turns out not to be true is not the same thing as lying. This whole thing is a steaming pile of dogshit, but don't say people are running around lying just because something they may have said turned out not to be true. If we were 3-0 averaging 40 ppg no one would give a crap.

KB21
09-19-2023, 12:25 PM
Coach P is about as anti air raid as you can get for one, when Leach came in Brad left. There is definitely an axe to grind. Peterson hired this staff. Arnett had to sign off but it was basically a figure head type deal. The bottom line is, we put egos and personal preferences over what our kids could do. We lied to some

I'm curious as to how Brad Peterson got to the point where he could have this much power over Mississippi State football.

Todd4State
09-19-2023, 12:31 PM

I hate being a Mississippi State fan sometimes. The above paragraph is why.

We continuously shoot ourselves in the foot. And this is literally the second time we have done this in a five year span! Unbelievable!

Todd4State
09-19-2023, 12:33 PM
I'm curious as to how Brad Peterson got to the point where he could have this much power over Mississippi State football.

He knows the right people. Same as anything else.

The real question is why does Arnett trust him so much?

KB21
09-19-2023, 12:34 PM
I hate being a Mississippi State fan sometimes. The above paragraph is why.

We continuously shoot ourselves in the foot. And this is literally the second time we have done this in a five year span! Unbelievable!

....and the sad thing is, we lucked up and backed into hiring Mike Leach. It's a frightening thought to know that if the NY Giants hadn't come in at the 11th hour to offer him their job, Joe Judge would be our head coach right now. And many would have lapped it up initially with all the "We are going to be blue collar, tough, physical" and "He's one of us" phrases that many would have thrown around.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Fact is, Jackie and Mullen have been the only good coaches we've had since the Soviet Union fell and both of them had flaws. Mullen proved his flaws at UF and got fired for it.

We suck at hiring coaches. End of story. Cohen tried to hire Judge, Hored JoMo, and had Pruitt as one his next target lol. Cohen leaves and Keenum does the dumb but safe move with Arnett, then our boosters take over and show all they care about is MS and State ties and running the football.

We do not have a good President. We have the same dumb boosters everyone else does, but ours are poor. Selmon may be OK but I have my doubts after he cowered from replacing Lemo.

There is no vision, no true leader that can get everyone in line and then select a good football coach for the modern age.

We talk a lot about ADs but at some point Keenum has to also go for us to move forward. He's clearly clueless as to what makes a good AD, football coach, or how to get boosters under control.

CoachT14
09-19-2023, 04:16 PM
....and the sad thing is, we lucked up and backed into hiring Mike Leach. It's a frightening thought to know that if the NY Giants hadn't come in at the 11th hour to offer him their job, Joe Judge would be our head coach right now. And many would have lapped it up initially with all the "We are going to be blue collar, tough, physical" and "He's one of us" phrases that many would have thrown around.

We are throwing them around now. It’s gross.