PDA

View Full Version : WMD's State of MSU Football Address

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2023, 04:09 PM
I'm not going to talk much about any specific observations from yesterday's mauling. This will be a much more high level/overview discussion. Going to dispense with the usual Offense-Defense-ST & Coaching format this week, because it doesn't make sense for what I want to say. So here we go:

The Overview/Problems:
1. Will isn't an SEC QB, maybe not a P5 or D1 QB. Many of us have been saying it for years, but it's become obvious to all but the Will worshippers who pray to a shrine of him every night. With the numbers he put up the last 3 years, the NFL should've been begging him to leave early. The fact they weren't says all you need to know. He's bouncing 5 yard passes in the dirt and throwing bubble screens at his receivers' shins. Pull the plug, it's over, everyone who isn't a cultist has seen enough.

2. Our OL is bad. Really bad.

3. Defense can't stop the pass or generate any pass rush without blitzing. They make up for it by not stopping the run too. You can't win giving up 500 yards of offense every week.

4. I'm glad someone is scared of our DBs, because no one outside of Starkville is. Don't think I'd ever run against us, other than the occasional "keep 'em honest" run.

5. I really don't want to panic or overreact after just 3 games. But it feels like we're getting worse each week, not better. No one came out of that game with any credit. Not the defense, certainly not the offense. Our punter deserves some praise, because he's the only one who actually did anything. And our KOR team and Woody. That's it. Everyone else was trash. Yesterday's game gave me Croom/Joe Mo vibes.

6. I have some sympathy with the hiring process. Nobody expected Leach to pass. We didn't have an AD in place. Leach died at a time when several candidates we probably would've liked to look at were off the board. Arnett was a hot name as a potential HC within coordinator circles. We may have hired him 1-2 years early, but it definitely wasn't some terrible idea to promote him. We knew there'd be growing pains and we're seeing them. Do we have the patience to ride them out? Can they be ridden out? We're going to find out very soon one way or another.

7. I have zero sympathy with the staff around Arnett we assembled. Some of those decisions were his and he has to take responsibility for them. Why did we bring in Friend to coach the OL? Auburn was ecstatic to be shot of him. Barbay, liked the hire, but we need to see some improvement. But the bigger red flag for me is promoting Brock to DC. Which leads me to...

8. Brock isn't ready to be DC. Yeah, we lost Forbes and a couple of DBs. But most of the D is back. And we don't just replace first round CBs, granted. There's no reason for the D to look this bad though. That's on Brock. But more than that, it's on Arnett. If he wasn't going to run the D himself, he should have done a national search and hired an experienced, qualified DC. I understand wanting to keep your system. But either run it yourself or recognize you need to hand it off to an experienced DC you don't have to worry about as a first time HC, even if that means a new defensive system. Instead, he promoted his buddy. Not good by any standard.

9. Barbay isn't the problem with the offense per se. The power spread is fine. What is a problem in terms of coaching is how lost we look. OL has forgotten how to pass block in just one offseason. They make up for it by forgetting how to run block in 3 games. We've got some WR talent. Tulu, Zavion, Creed, Walley all need to be force fed touches, but Will can't get the ball to them. Plays are there to be made, but we're not executing at a level to make them, especially at QB. That said, Friend needs to go, yesterday. Knox is a very good recruiter and solid RB coach. Jury is out on Bump, but I'm willing to give it some time. Good thing is he's apparently a beast mode recruiter.

10. CFB is semi-pro now. Treat all coaches and players like mercenaries at your school solely for the money, because that's exactly the situation. The "amateur athlete" fig leaf is totally gone in the era of NIL and 18 year old kids making more for playing a game than most of the fans in the stands make.

Solution Ideas:
Ok, fully admit these may or may not work. This is totally a what I'd do/would like to see done/common sense changes section:
1. Call in Brock. Tell him I'm taking back the DC play calls. Have a very honest conversation. Tell him he isn't ready yet, and that's my fault as HC for putting you in that position. Explain that you still believe in him and his ability to be a DC. Make a commitment to spend time teaching him everything I know about the 4-3-3 and draw up each game plan together every week. Allow him to have real input into the game plan. Give him a series each half to call the plays on D in every SEC game. Maybe give him a whole half and let him develop the entire game plan with you in the room to give input for the OOC games.

2. Call in Barbay. Tell him in no uncertain terms it's time to sit Will. Simplify the offense for Wright and/or Parson. If that means you take away their ability to audible at the line, then do it. But going forward, Wright should start. Parson should be #2 and get significant minutes each week. I'm tempted to say pull the redshirt off Parson and roll with him, but there's rumor of him nursing some sort of injury. If that's legit, go with Wright. But we can't let Will continue to drive the offense into the ground.

3. Fire Friend. I know we probably have to wait to the end of the season, but he's gotta go at the first available opportunity. For now, I'd try to quietly hand all his duties to the other OL coach and have him doing as little as possible.

4. Call in Will. Thank him for his contributions to the program and for being an excellent representative of MSU. Explain that we're going a different direction at QB and that mobility is at a premium, so he'll be the emergency QB for the remainder of the season. Hate it worked out this way, but that's football.

5. Selmon needs to have a HC short list ready to go in case it comes to that. I know some think he won't make a change in his first year on the job because he didn't make a change in baseball. Bollocks that. Football is different. It's the revenue generator that pays for your entire athletics department. We're spoiled because our baseball team turns a profit. But for 98% of schools, what they can do in other sports is directly related to how much money football generates. Selmon isn't tied to Arnett, so there's no loyalty to stop him from making the change if things don't show improvement or continue to get worse.

My Philosophy and General Ideas
1. I'm firmly of the opinion that most schools, but specifically MSU, need to be hiring offensive HCs. The modern game is about outscoring opponents 38-31. The days of winning 14-10 are gone and not coming back. By their nature, DCs prefer that 14-10 style of game. They're control freaks who can't stand the high scoring modern game. Arnett showed us that last week when he admitted to telling Barbay to run the ball more to give the D a blow. I don't care if it's power spread, modernized Air Raid, Pistol, or modernized triple option. But it needs to be someone who understands you better score a minimum of 28 points every week to have a chance to win.

2. MSU needs a mobile QB. This is inarguable. Even Nick Saban finally started using dual threat QBs. Only a very small handful of schools have the OL to run a pro style offense with a traditional pocket passing QB. Outside of those, you need the QBs mobility to create number advantages and mismatches to be successful offensively. Even most "pro style" QBs now are at least relatively mobile, certainly compared to Will and traditional pocket passers of years gone by. The days of a Peyton, Eli, or Brady standing in the pocket like a statue are all but gone outside a very, very small group of schools.

3. Now that semi-pro, er, CFB has free agency, er, the transfer portal, talent can be amassed quickly and easily if you have the right coach. If players aren't getting it done, run them off and replace them. Between the portal and recruiting, you can quite easily and quickly overturn a roster and dramatically improve the talent level.

4. MSU needs to accept this isn't the 90s. Time to admit CFB is semi-pro and big business. Act accordingly and stick our hands in the mud like everyone else. There's no points for being the "good guys" or doing it "the right way." It's win at all costs now. The money is too big to treat it any other way. Modernize or risk losing our place in the SEC and probably the P4/5 altogether. It's that simple.

5. Go hire a big name coach. I know most hate him and think he wasn't good, but Malzahn is out there. Kick the tires on Whittingham at Utah again. Clawson at Wake Forest would be an excellent hire. Urban is a talking head for Fox Sports. Hand him a blank check and make him say no. I don't care if he's a scumbag. He wins.

6. The genesis of all these problems can be traced back to two decisions, but really one decision. The one decision was naming Cohen AD instead of hiring an actual AD. The smaller decision was Cohen hiring Leach. Many of us told you Leach's offense was an outdated gimmick and he'd leave the roster in shambles when it inevitably ended, because that's what happened everywhere else he'd been. Now here we are. Thankfully Cohen is gone and Selmon is here, so maybe some of this can finally be fixed. But when we hired Leach, we could've hired Prime. Let that sink in. Where would we be now if we were the ones to give Prime his first chance instead of Jackson State? But Cohen didn't have the vision or the stones to make that decision.

7. White helmets suck. Please stop wearing them. MSU wears maroon helmets. Period. And can we please wear all white unis on the years we host LSU and force them to wear purple? Don't know why everyone accomodates them and lets them wear their preferred white all the time. And yeah, get off my lawn while we're at it.

Anyway, just some thoughts I had rumbling around and wanted to share. We're in this muck together.

Hail State!

WMD

redstickdawg
09-17-2023, 04:20 PM
Thanks for adding reputation to this user. May you be lucky enough to receive the same Reputation back in turn.

I don't disagree with anything that is stated above. We could have also hired Prime after Leach passed away, but keenum was asleep as usual.

Pancho
09-17-2023, 04:20 PM
good stuff from WMD

Lord McBuckethead
09-17-2023, 04:30 PM
Agree with all of it.

basedog
09-17-2023, 04:31 PM
Can’t disagree.

Lord McBuckethead
09-17-2023, 04:32 PM
I would follow this with my takes from the game, but for the first time since 2001, I stopped watching the game after our first possession of the second quarter.

As everyone knows, I am now a Georgia Bulldog fan in addition to me being a MSU fan. Why? Cause I am tired of rooting for this shit.

Lord McBuckethead
09-17-2023, 04:34 PM
I would add, if Tulu, Creed, and JRob don?t get 8 touches each this next game, it is a total failure.

civildawg
09-17-2023, 04:35 PM
I will NEVER understand the people calling for Malzahn. Besides his first year at Auburn he was extremely mediocre. Lost to us multiple times and his offense is figured out. If they get a first down, they run up to the LOS and hand it off to the rb every time.

Besides that, I agree with all points. Our fans, including myself are just not dedicated enough to give the money needed to elevate our program. We are in the smallest state with the poorest people and we share a state with another SEC school. Our "cigar boys" meddle in the program too much which I'm holding out hope selmon has the balls to fix. They would rather us hire their guy or an MSU guy than what's best for the program

For myself, we have just been so boring to watch for the past 6-7 years. The only game that I remember having fun watching was Leach's first game against LSU. I honestly think the hire of Joe and the 8-4 season in 2018 set our program back about a decade. That team was loaded and would have challenged for the west if Dan stayed or we had hired anyone else. It was just really disheartening to see that team go 8-4.

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2023, 04:39 PM
Thanks for adding reputation to this user. May you be lucky enough to receive the same Reputation back in turn.

I don't disagree with anything that is stated above. We could have also hired Prime after Leach passed away, but keenum was asleep as usual.

Pretty sure he was already off the board to Colorado by then. Too lazy to look up the dates, so I may be wrong. If so, that's the biggest mistake EVAH to promote Arnett instead of going all in for Prime.

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2023, 04:47 PM
I will NEVER understand the people calling for Malzahn. Besides his first year at Auburn he was extremely mediocre. Lost to us multiple times and his offense is figured out. If they get a first down, they run up to the LOS and hand it off to the rb every time.

Besides that, I agree with all points. Our fans, including myself are just not dedicated enough to give the money needed to elevate our program. We are in the smallest state with the poorest people and we share a state with another SEC school. Our "cigar boys" meddle in the program too much which I'm holding out hope selmon has the balls to fix. They would rather us hire their guy or an MSU guy than what's best for the program

For myself, we have just been so boring to watch for the past 6-7 years. The only game that I remember having fun watching was Leach's first game against LSU. I honestly think the hire of Joe and the 8-4 season in 2018 set our program back about a decade. That team was loaded and would have challenged for the west if Dan stayed or we had hired anyone else. It was just really disheartening to see that team go 8-4.

1. If I could go back in time and change just one thing in Mississippi history, it would be to make sure we have one and only one major university in the state, centrally located. The idea to have three major universities, one for each third of the state, has been an absolute killer. If we combined the talent of MSU, OM, and USM and our alumni money, we'd be a major player with the history and tradition as rich as any major program out there. We'd be talked about in the same breathless, reverent way the sports media talks about Bama, Texas, UGA, tOSU, Michigan, etc.

2. Agree. I still think Joe might've been worse than Croom. I'm not sure you could've tried and lost more than 4 games with that 2018 team. If Dan stays just one more year, I think that team wins 10 bare minimum, but probably 11-1 and plays a NY6 Bowl or sneaks into the playoff. But that goes back to hiring Cohen as AD.

AROB44
09-17-2023, 04:56 PM
Our fans, including myself are just not dedicated enough to give the money needed to elevate our program.

That says it all.....and has been true as long as I began as MSU in 1961.

RockyDog
09-17-2023, 04:58 PM

Just like Kiffin did with Blake Sims, Malzahn took a former Georgia cornerback as his QB and led them to a national title game. That QB put up stats that were better than 95% of any MSU quarterback. You are crazy if you think Malzahn is trash compared to most of the coaches we have ever hired at MSU.

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2023, 05:02 PM
Just like Kiffin did with Blake Sims, Malzahn took a former Georgia cornerback as his QB and led them to a national title game. That QB put up stats that were better than 95% of any MSU quarterback. You are crazy if you think Malzahn is trash compared to most of the coaches we have ever hired at MSU.

His offensive system fits the talent we recruit extremely well. While he probably isn't my first choice, we could do and have done, way worse.

KOdawg1
09-17-2023, 05:10 PM
Spot on

Really Clark?
09-17-2023, 05:26 PM
Pretty sure he was already off the board to Colorado by then. Too lazy to look up the dates, so I may be wrong. If so, that's the biggest mistake EVAH to promote Arnett instead of going all in for Prime.

Yes, he was already at Colorado prior to Coach Leach passing

smootness
09-17-2023, 05:26 PM
As everyone knows, I am now a Georgia Bulldog fan in addition to me being a MSU fan. Why? Cause I am tired of rooting for this shit.

Nobody cares, dude.

TrapGame
09-17-2023, 05:31 PM
Nailed it WMD.

If Arnett/Barbay start playing Mike Wright and Arnett takes over the defense again we may have a shot at 6 wins. But, with that said...

Selmon will pull the trigger if we go 4-8. I'd bet a hundred to the BI. That's a sure sign that Arnett is in way over his head. It's a hole too deep to dig himself out of. Selmon can sell this to any coach worth a damn that 4-8 should be unacceptable at any SEC school, including Vandy.

I'd go after Willie Fritz at Tulane, but I would not be opposed to Malzahn either. He's a decent coach. I'd even kick the tires on Petrino. Why not? Hell, if it comes down to it I'd take Dan back.

However, we may have some competition for some coaches come December. Arkansas may be dumping Mr Jukebox and The Crimson King himself may be stepping aside (It would not shock me). Even Jimbo may be getting his pink slip.

DownwardDawg
09-17-2023, 05:42 PM
His offensive system fits the talent we recruit extremely well. While he probably isn't my first choice, we could do and have done, way worse.

His offense is a perfect fit for State. Someday we'll have the AD that realizes that. Maybe Selmon is the guy. Maybe not.
I'm not saying malzahn is the guy, but his offense is tailor made to our recruiting base.

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Nailed it WMD.

If Arnett/Barbay start playing Mike Wright and Arnett takes over the defense again we may have a shot at 6 wins. But, with that said...

Selmon will pull the trigger if we go 4-8. I'd bet a hundred to the BI. That's a sure sign that Arnett is in way over his head. It's a hole too deep to dig himself out of. Selmon can sell this to any coach worth a damn that 4-8 should be unacceptable at any SEC school, including Vandy.

I'd go after Willie Fritz at Tulane, but I would not be opposed to Malzahn either. He's a decent coach. I'd even kick the tires on Petrino. Why not? Hell, if it comes down to it I'd take Dan back.

However, we may have some competition for some coaches come December. Arkansas may be dumping Mr Jukebox and The Crimson King himself may be stepping aside (It would not shock me). Even Jimbo may be getting his pink slip.

1. I appreciate Dan now more than I did by the end. While I'd take him over what we have right now, I think it's generally a bad idea to go back. So no to Dan, too much water under that bridge.

2. Definitely could be a tough cycle on the coaching carousel this year. That said, we likely won't be after the same candidates as TAMU and certainly not Bama. They'll back up the Brinks for Dabo or someone like that. Wouldn't put it past them to try to poach Riley from USC for that matter. If we can't beat Arkansas to our coaching candidates, we need to agree that we don't have the stomach for semi-pro athletics and leave the SEC, probably the P4/5. The most important thing I said above was we have to start getting our hands dirty and treating this like big business, because it absolutely is. The money and the stakes are so big now we can't afford to do anything else.

BlackSailsDawg
09-17-2023, 05:46 PM
1- Everybody is a cultist if they don't agree with me is a laughable joke of a comment.

2- It's 1000% on the coaches. Not the players. Nobody on that team has a friggin clue on what to do in this offense.

3- Barbay may have liked the hire from afar, but Barbay wasn't even hired when we hired Friend. That was the choice of the smoke room guys that know better and what we need.

4- We recruited pretty damn well for the system we hired in due to that system producing and players being attracted to it. No, our only option at LOWLY MSU is using a dan mullen type of offense. Why? Because we won't attract the players at MSU needed to run it. We didn't under Mullen(except for Dak). Nobody wants to go back to 52% passers.

5- Saban did not move to a dual quarter back. In fact, he benched Milroe this weekend. What he demands is a game manager that can move if needs be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outside of that, I agree with everything you stated:

1- Roger's sucked yesterday
2- The OL sucked
3- Most RBs sucked, can't pick up a dang block
4- The WRs sucked running routes.
5- Defensive backfield sucked!
6- The DL can not create a sack.

But all of that says and is screaming that there is a lack of coaching at every level with in our program:

1- If you are going to change the offense in drastic terms, HIRE a PROVEN coach that can teach the system. Not a coach that took APP STATE down hill in ONE year and had limited time at OC. Why experiment with a SR team. That is the most baffling thing ever.

2- Stop letting non coaches hire people.

3- Don't hire people and then expect a NEW OC to come in and just live with it.

Doesn't that scream to you that the people coaching in positions is having to learn the same new system? How could they possibly teach it not being part of it.

TrapGame
09-17-2023, 05:52 PM
1. I appreciate Dan now more than I did by the end. While I'd take him over what we have right now, I think it's generally a bad idea to go back. So no to Dan, too much water under that bridge.

2. Definitely could be a tough cycle on the coaching carousel this year. That said, we likely won't be after the same candidates as TAMU and certainly not Bama. They'll back up the Brinks for Dabo or someone like that. Wouldn't put it past them to try to poach Riley from USC for that matter. If we can't beat Arkansas to our coaching candidates, we need to agree that we don't have the stomach for semi-pro athletics and leave the SEC, probably the P4/5. The most important thing I said above was we have to start getting our hands dirty and treating this like big business, because it absolutely is. The money and the stakes are so big now we can't afford to do anything else.

#1: Yeah, I doubt Dan wants to come back to Starkville anyway.

#2: Prime to Bama. You heard it here first. This season at Colorado is his interview.

Quaoarsking
09-17-2023, 05:55 PM
But when we hired Leach, we could've hired Prime. Let that sink in. Where would we be now if we were the ones to give Prime his first chance instead of Jackson State? But Cohen didn't have the vision or the stones to make that decision.

Can you imagine the meltdown if we had hired a high school OC to be our head coach?

Quaoarsking
09-17-2023, 06:01 PM
Also, Rogers has 1 more year of eligibility left after this year, and theoretically he could have 2 more if he redshirts this season by playing in no more than 4 games.

If I didn't have any rooting interest in Mississippi State and was just his personal advisor, I'd recommend that he step away from the starting role (being available to fill in in 1 more game if we need him for whatever reason), and transfer to Tulsa or Western Kentucky and try to chase down all of Case Keenum's NCAA reccords in 2024 and 2025.

Ranchdawg
09-17-2023, 06:10 PM
My philosophy and general ideas
#4 actually it?s been big business for a long time. What IMO has been a problem for as long as I have been following MSU 40yrs+ is that we try so dead gum to be squeaking clean in atheletics. This is a dirty business and morals kindness doesn?t get you crap. Bama has been cheating for a very long time, Auburn has been cheating for a long time, Ole Miss been doing it for a long time, LSU had a guy embezzling money from a children?s hospital and funneling it to the football team to gain wins on Saturday. Yes I?m not nieve enough to not believe we haven?t paid players.

It also runs deep in our fan base. A Andy of Mayberry belief. I was supposed to be all hospitality to that stupid LSU fan that sat in front of me and ruined my game day experience. The whole time I was sitting there looking at the back of his fat ass head I was remembering how god awful I was treated at the LSU stadium.

Mjoelner34
09-17-2023, 06:20 PM
#4 actually it?s been big business for a long time. What IMO has been a problem for as long as I have been following MSU 40yrs+ is that we try so dead gum to be squeaking clean in atheletics. This is a dirty business and morals kindness doesn?t get you crap. Bama has been cheating for a very long time, Auburn has been cheating for a long time, Ole Miss been doing it for a long time, LSU had a guy embezzling money from a children?s hospital and funneling it to the football team to gain wins on Saturday. Yes I?m not nieve enough to not believe we haven?t paid players.

It also runs deep in our fan base. A Andy of Mayberry belief. I was supposed to be all hospitality to that stupid LSU fan that sat in front of me and ruined my game day experience. The whole time I was sitting there looking at the back of his fat ass head I was remembering how god awful I was treated at the LSU stadium.

My first year at MSU was Felker's first year as coach. Speaking of going overboard, WAAAYY overboard with the hospitality, pregame our band used to stand in front of the visitor's section and play THEIR fight song for THEIR fans to get fired up at OUR HOME games. Somebody deserved a swift kick in the nuts for that decision but it was probably applauded in-house.

DownwardDawg
09-17-2023, 06:22 PM

#2: Prime to Bama. You heard it here first. This season at Colorado is his interview.

I don't think Bama boosters would allow that to happen.

THE Bruce Dickinson
09-17-2023, 06:38 PM
Arnett wasn't an up and coming hot name for any head coaching position. No power 5 team would have ever even considered him as HC and probably not many other D1 teams would have either.

vindastra
09-17-2023, 06:38 PM
Am I off the line, if I say some big-time boosters want Will to start come hell or high-water?

TrapGame
09-17-2023, 07:02 PM

Winning makes strange bedfellows.

Pancho
09-17-2023, 07:20 PM
The best players in the country will want to play for Deion. I'm watching to see if and when the QB son departs the college game. Deion might be up for bid at that point.

Cowbell
09-17-2023, 07:23 PM
I would add, if Tulu, Creed, and JRob don?t get 8 touches each this next game, it is a total failure.

8 touches each? No way in **** is Will going to complete 24 passes that don't include running backs. Funniest thing I've read all day

Coach34
09-17-2023, 08:08 PM
Also, Rogers has 1 more year of eligibility left after this year, and theoretically he could have 2 more if he redshirts this season by playing in no more than 4 games.

Rogers is going to be advised to go get some graduate courses at another University

Coach34
09-17-2023, 08:13 PM

I dont think Bama is ready to hire a black HC just yet. I may be wrong but I will certainly be surprised

DownwardDawg
09-17-2023, 08:21 PM
I dont think Bama is ready to hire a black HC just yet. I may be wrong but I will certainly be surprised

Yeah. I would be very surprised.

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2023, 08:42 PM

The more I think about this, the more I think there's a good chance it happens. Say what you will about Bama, they want to win. They want it more than air to breathe. If they thought hiring Satan was the best chance at winning, they'd hire him and make sure the contract for their souls was ironclad.

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2023, 08:52 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware CFB has been big business for a long time. That train left the station when TV started to become a bigger and bigger thing in the 90s. My point was that as long as there was the farcical fig leaf of amateurism as cover, a segment of our alumni/fans and a significant portion of our administration could delude themselves into thinking "It's just amateur athletics. We can do things 'the right way' and win. We can be the good guys. Eventually those mean cheaters like Bama and Northern Miss will pay. Look at SMU."

Now that NIL is here and players are getting checks, the fig leaf is gone. Between player payroll, benefits and the ever increasing coaching salaries and ridiculous buyouts where you have to pay losers to go, decision time is here for us and many other programs of our size and resources. Do we want to stay on the gravy train? If so, time to go all in and get dirty with the rest of the hogs. If not, have the guts to tell us, the alumni and fans who support all this, and pull out of the SEC at the very least. Probably need to pull out of the P4/5 altogether if we're not willing to get in the slop. But this half in, half out stuff isn't going to work. Realignment isn't going to care if you're a charter member of the conference or not if you're not pulling your weight.

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2023, 08:54 PM
Am I off the line, if I say some big-time boosters want Will to start come hell or high-water?

Considering the way they meddle in every other aspect of our program, I'd be surprised if there WEREN'T Cigar Boyz who are in the Cult of Will and insisting he start.

Mjoelner34
09-17-2023, 08:59 PM
Considering the way they meddle in every other aspect of our program, I'd be surprised if there WEREN'T Cigar Boyz who are in the Cult of Will and insisting he start.

Tying this to NIL, what is going to happen when someone who donates enough NIL to support several players steps in and starts dictating starting lineups or else they take their NIL money and go home? I've heard that supposedly already happened at Texas A&M.

War Machine Dawg
09-17-2023, 09:17 PM
Tying this to NIL, what is going to happen when someone who donates enough NIL to support several players steps in and starts dictating starting lineups or else they take their NIL money and go home? I've heard that supposedly already happened at Texas A&M.

That's why NIL regulation is absolutely necessary. The money needs to be a donation to a general fund and from there blindly distributed. NIL contributors need zero knowledge of who gets their money to ensure they can't meddle that directly. But right now we've got the Wild West. Repeat: I'd be surprised if the Cigar Boyz of every big school weren't doing significant meddling thanks to unregulated NIL.

As for the hypothetical, that's a tough call. You need the booster and the NIL money, but you also need the coaches to have enough autonomy to tell the Cigar Boyz to go F themselves if they start meddling to the degree of attempting to dictate who gets PT and who doesn't. I'd lean towards telling the NIL booster to go away, because if you win, he'll be happy. It's when you're not winning that the meddling and such is a problem. But it takes serious stones to make that call. And it's really easy for me to say from behind my keyboard.

maroonmania
09-17-2023, 09:24 PM
Our fans, including myself are just not dedicated enough to give the money needed to elevate our program.

That says it all.....and has been true as long as I began as MSU in 1961.

Not sure we have the money in our fanbase to keep up even if they were more dedicated. But the whole thing is totally broken. The same boosters who give Bulldog Club donations, buy season tickets and travel multiple weekends to see games and pay gas and large hotel bills shouldn't also be put upon to fund a player payroll to keep and get players when bidding against fanbases with exponentially more booster money to work with. Even IF NIL worked in reality like it was theoretically supposed to we would be behind the 8 ball but the fact that it is pure pay for play leaves us in a really bad way. I give to the Bulldog Initiative to try and help but I don't like it and never will. I really wish football and basketball had true minor leagues like baseball so that guys that have no interest in education and just need a way to get to the league and make money could do so without it having to run through an institution of higher learning for that to happen.

parabrave
09-17-2023, 10:10 PM

Someone is going to step in and start dictating rules about the NIL, and that can only be congress. Remember NIL was sold as Name Image and Likeness. INO Royalties not the University giving direct cash to players and there is going to be title 9 and other things that will be looked at. Also they might be reversing the transfer portal rules in a few years.

DEDawg
09-17-2023, 10:19 PM
Can?t believe we?ve been saying #1 for over 2 years now and people STILL argue that will is the answer

Maverick91
09-17-2023, 10:59 PM
The only thing that is going to give us any hope this week as fans is if we hear practice reports that Wright is running first team snaps. If not, we are going to be a bunch of really down and out posters for the rest of the week.

basedog
09-18-2023, 06:35 AM
Someone is going to step in and start dictating rules about the NIL, and that can only be congress. Remember NIL was sold as Name Image and Likeness. INO Royalties not the University giving direct cash to players and there is going to be title 9 and other things that will be looked at. Also they might be reversing the transfer portal rules in a few years.

Do you trust congress getting involved with college football? If it helps their payroll they will step in. LOL but true.

Offshore Dawg
09-18-2023, 07:30 AM
Very well done WMD.

Offshore Dawg
09-18-2023, 07:32 AM
Do you trust congress getting involved with college football? If it helps their payroll they will step in. LOL but true.

I don't trust congress with Jack F***ing Shit