PDA

View Full Version : Selmon

DownwardDawg
09-17-2023, 01:52 PM
We're gonna see what he's made of this year. Tough decisions coming up for him. Arnett is not his hire so he's not tied to him at all. I don't see this getting any better because we have looked worse each week so far. Arnett may be one and done. Has that happened in the SEC before?

Percho
09-17-2023, 01:59 PM
We're gonna see what he's made of this year. Tough decisions coming up for him. Arnett is not his hire so he's not tied to him at all. I don't see this getting any better because we have looked worse each week so far. Arnett may be one and done. Has that happened in the SEC before?

If it happens this year you can write off Mississippi State football for another 50 years. But do whatever you think is best,

Really Clark?
09-17-2023, 02:05 PM

Robby Caldwell went 2-10 in his one year at Vandy in 2010. They hired Franklin right after him.

BlackSailsDawg
09-17-2023, 02:12 PM
If it happens this year you can write off Mississippi State football for another 50 years. But do whatever you think is best,

HAHAHHA!!

Noway you believe that! None. Prime just booted the whole friggin team and brought in players from the portal.

viverlibre
09-17-2023, 02:33 PM

Maybe tap the brakes? We were going loose to LSU no matter if we played our A game with Leach coaching. Arnett is still a baby and was woefully unprepared, experience wise, for the job that was thrust upon him. This was his third game and first real test. He can still win 6 and that was the expectation. If he doesn't improve over the season then worry, but he'll likely get year two, no matter what, barring a complete implosion.

mo7888
09-17-2023, 07:34 PM

Seems like it may be headed that way. I'm interested to see who going to have the most influence on the next hire. I hope it's Selmon based on the types of offenses he's been around as opposed to the old heads who want to run antiquated sysyems.

99jc
09-17-2023, 07:37 PM

this is some of the stupidest shit i have ever read on here you are an idiot of nuclear proportions.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-17-2023, 07:53 PM
Maybe tap the brakes? We were going loose to LSU no matter if we played our A game with Leach coaching. Arnett is still a baby and was woefully unprepared, experience wise, for the job that was thrust upon him. This was his third game and first real test. He can still win 6 and that was the expectation. If he doesn't improve over the season then worry, but he'll likely get year two, no matter what, barring a complete implosion.

Bold #1: Leach vs LSU- Won, lost by 3 (out gained them by 130 yards though), lost by 15 (but had the lead going into the 4th). There is ZERO reason to assume he'd have lost yesterday. He played LSU close and had them on the ropes every time he played them.

Bold #2: 6-6 was the expectation??? We were 9-4 last year, and returned more starters than almost anyone. All the State beat writers picked 6-6 as the floor. Our discussion threads here had 6-6 as the floor. But you want to rewrite common sense and history to convince us 6-6 was always reality. It wasn't. It is now that we have awful coaches, but 8-4 is what SHOULD be happening.

Screw you for outright lying about Leach vs LSU and what this team was capable of, all to gaslight us into believing Arnett isn't bad

gtowndawg
09-17-2023, 07:56 PM
Our football team is an absolute mess, nobody can argue with that. If it continues throughout the season we need to make a change. We can't wait around.

DownwardDawg
09-17-2023, 08:02 PM
Bold #1: Leach vs LSU- Won, lost by 3 (out gained them by 130 yards though), lost by 15 (but had the lead going into the 4th). There is ZERO reason to assume he'd have lost yesterday. He played LSU close and had them on the ropes every time he played them.

Bold #2: 6-6 was the expectation??? We were 9-4 last year, and returned more starters than almost anyone. All the State beat writers picked 6-6 as the floor. Our discussion threads here had 6-6 as the floor. But you want to rewrite common sense and history to convince us 6-6 was always reality. It wasn't. It is now that we have awful coaches, but 8-4 is what SHOULD be happening.

Screw you for outright lying about Leach vs LSU and what this team was capable of, all to gaslight us into believing Arnett isn't bad
Yeah. 8-4 was pretty much the expectation around here. Anything less will be very disappointing. It's going to be a very bad season.

CoachT14
09-17-2023, 08:07 PM

6 was your expectation? Pathetic.

TrapGame
09-17-2023, 08:15 PM
If we lose to South Carolina we are looking at 4-8/5-7. If we finish 5-7 he'll get the second year with expectations of making a bowl game. If we finish 4-8 he'll be fired by Selmon. We cannot accept a 4-8 finish. That hole is just too deep. That's Croom level failure that cannot be allowed to fester. Even JoMo had two winning seasons and we canned him. Dan finished 5-7 his first year but we were coming off of five years of Croom and that was a scrappy team that fought in every game. 4-8 now for this program is abject failure and cannot be tolerated.

CoachT14
09-17-2023, 08:33 PM
If we lose to South Carolina we are looking at 4-8/5-7. If we finish 5-7 he'll get the second year with expectations of making a bowl game. If we finish 4-8 he'll be fired by Selmon. We cannot accept a 4-8 finish. That hole is just too deep. That's Croom level failure that cannot be allowed to fester. Even JoMo had two winning seasons and we canned him. Dan finished 5-7 his first year but we were coming off of five years of Croom and that was a scrappy team that fought in every game. 4-8 now for this program is abject failure and cannot be tolerated.

4-8 with expectations do 8-4 up to 10-2. What a colossal failure that would be. Especially in the weakest SEC in the forceable future.

Bothrops
09-17-2023, 08:39 PM
HAHAHHA!!

Noway you believe that! None. Prime just booted the whole friggin team and brought in players from the portal.

Do you know of another Prime around? Anywhere?

viverlibre
09-17-2023, 08:40 PM

We had a good dominating win after their natty, and lost two in a row and would have lost yesterday, LSU is better this year than last. When we played LSU last year they had true Freshman starting on their Oline and still beat us by double digits. No matter if Leach, Saban, Belechick, Jimmy Johnson or whoever coached us yesterday, we would have gotten beat.

Always look at Vegas for win totals, they had us at 6.5, they don't put emotion into it, they go by objective analysis. Part of the 6 win expectation is having a first year, inexperienced HC. If Leach was still our coach, the win total would likely have been 7.5 or maybe even 8.

Coach34
09-17-2023, 08:44 PM
I'm not saying there is zero chance we fire him but its damn near close to zero. He has a 4 year contract at 3MM per. We arent going to pay him 9MM to go away unless its just a circus.

viverlibre
09-17-2023, 08:48 PM
Yeah. 8-4 was pretty much the expectation around here. Anything less will be very disappointing. It's going to be a very bad season.

You have to take off maroon colored glasses when it comes to win totals. Look at what Vegas puts out, they are objective and look at what our opponents have done since last season. I'm betting 99% of our fans have not put the work in to evaluate the rosters of our 8 conference opponents. How many of you have looked over the rosters of Ark, the barn, OM, TAMU, etc., to see if they improved their rosters since last year? I certainly haven't, but you know who has? Vegas.

I took the over and think we will win 7. I had already counted LSU and Bam as losses before the season.

DownwardDawg
09-17-2023, 08:49 PM
I'm not saying there is zero chance we fire him but its damn near close to zero. He has a 4 year contract at 3MM per. We arent going to pay him 9MM to go away unless its just a circus.

This is most likely the case, but it could turn into a circus. It appears we are going to be horrible. That could lead to transfers, players just quitting on the team, etc....
Arnett is already in a situation where he is coaching for his livelihood. Nest season his seat will be extremely hot unless some major changes are made this season.

viverlibre
09-17-2023, 09:02 PM
I think you all need to step back from the ledge. We got blown out several times under Leach. LSU is better than last year, yes they lost to FSU, but had plenty of chances in that one. If we stick with Will all the way through USCe and he continues to stink (and we don't make a change early in the game), then panic.

If Leach was coaching this year, we'd be set up for 8 or 9 wins, but he's gone so we have to come to grips with that.

My biggest concern is that other teams are getting better through the portal and we are not. The coaching is going to come together, switching schemes is harder than fans think. Had it been me, I'd probably kept last years staff, but whatever reason, Arnett chose not to and for the long term that be may the right choice, but there's going to be ass pain in the short term.

civildawg
09-17-2023, 09:09 PM
I'm almost certain his buyout isn't the guaranteed money left on his contract. Pretty sure I remember it being a very low buyout just in case year one turned out bad

MBDawg601
09-17-2023, 10:19 PM
I think you all need to step back from the ledge. We got blown out several times under Leach. LSU is better than last year, yes they lost to FSU, but had plenty of chances in that one. If we stick with Will all the way through USCe and he continues to stink (and we don't make a change early in the game), then panic.

If Leach was coaching this year, we'd be set up for 8 or 9 wins, but he's gone so we have to come to grips with that.

My biggest concern is that other teams are getting better through the portal and we are not. The coaching is going to come together, switching schemes is harder than fans think. Had it been me, I'd probably kept last years staff, but whatever reason, Arnett chose not to and for the long term that be may the right choice, but there's going to be ass pain in the short term.

We had 79 yards of offense in 1 complete half of football and gave up 300.

Growing pains?

Kingbarkus
09-17-2023, 10:51 PM
1. Leach wins that game yesterday. Maybe a tough, close loss.

2. 2 years ago we needed 2 more minutes of clock time. Slingblade went to man defense and we carved them up in the 4th quarter. Ran out of time.

3. Last year the guy who did our game said Mississippi State was the better team. Rogers stunk in the second half.

Some of y?all need to realize how discombobulated this team is now.

Really Clark?
09-17-2023, 10:56 PM
1. Leach wins that game yesterday. Maybe a tough, close loss.

2. 2 years ago we needed 2 more minutes of clock time. Slingblade went to man defense and we carved them up in the 4th quarter. Ran out of time.

3. Last year the guy who did our game said Mississippi State was the better team. Rogers stunk in the second half.

Some of y?all need to realize how discombobulated this team is now.

Your point # 1, No

Maverick91
09-17-2023, 11:06 PM
Your point # 1, No

No Leach wins yesterday. I know it is only one play but the first throw was a scripted air raid round. Everyone on State’s offense knew he was throwing to Robinson. If we would have kept that type of “air raid” concept throws all game its a game into the 4th. Will can make those as he is throwing to a spot not hitting a moving target, which he has never been really good at.

Kingbarkus
09-17-2023, 11:08 PM
Your point # 1, No

Yes

Todd4State
09-18-2023, 01:11 AM
I'm almost certain his buyout isn't the guaranteed money left on his contract. Pretty sure I remember it being a very low buyout just in case year one turned out bad

Yeah. I don't know what the buyout is but I would imagine the leash isn't very long with Arnett.

Todd4State
09-18-2023, 01:13 AM

Depending on his things look and play out it wouldn't shock me if we fire him for 6-6.

Cowbell
09-18-2023, 01:44 AM
I can't believe you guys are having this discussion. This season is going similar to year one in the air raid. Does CZA not get a chance to purge malcontents. Does he not get a chance to get his offensive recruits in place? I remember Leach blaming his players for every loss. I remember him making fun of reviewers just last year with his alligator arms speech. We have a coach now that takes the blame and y'all are ready to fire him after his first loss ever?!

Pancho
09-18-2023, 05:35 AM
No purge of malcontents needed. just allow the many who will have no eligibility leave and he'll have 30 spots open.

R2Dawg
09-18-2023, 06:01 AM
HAHAHHA!!

Yep and Colorado is an NIL powerhouse too. We have no chance.***

R2Dawg
09-18-2023, 06:07 AM
I can't believe you guys are having this discussion. This season is going similar to year one in the air raid. Does CZA not get a chance to purge malcontents. Does he not get a chance to get his offensive recruits in place? I remember Leach blaming his players for every loss. I remember him making fun of reviewers just last year with his alligator arms speech. We have a coach now that takes the blame and y'all are ready to fire him after his first loss ever?!

There are issues but the air raid crowd having their dreams come true right now. We played 500 ball, won 3 games one year and 9 another (didn't beat any great teams in that either) carried by the D but the air raid is the greatest offense ever. If a team throws the ball once they say that team runs the air raid. Air raid lovers had a melt down when we ran the ball for 300 yards and won.

We have issues but give the guy a chance and give the air raid BS a rest.

I and everyone else knew this was going to happen if we didn't win 10 games this year.

viverlibre
09-18-2023, 06:53 AM
Depending on his things look and play out it wouldn't shock me if we fire him for 6-6.

I just don't see us firing him short of 4-8 (o-fer in conference). His was so unprepared/inexperienced, we knew there'd be growing pains.

CoachT14
09-18-2023, 07:02 AM
I just don't see us firing him short of 4-8 (o-fer in conference). His was so unprepared/inexperienced, we knew there'd be growing pains.

We can’t afford growing pains in this era of football. Anything less than 7-5, Arnett should be asked to resign.

If we let him “grow” we will get left behind everyone else.

Maroonthirteen
09-18-2023, 07:07 AM
My prediction is &elmon doesn't fire anyone. He waits any big fire/hires out until he finds another job and avoids our messes.

civildawg
09-18-2023, 07:08 AM
Let's not forget that next year is supposed to be a rebuilding year so do people actually believe we will any better next year? Odds are, we will be worse

viverlibre
09-18-2023, 07:11 AM
We can’t afford growing pains in this era of football. Anything less than 7-5, Arnett should be asked to resign.

If we let him “grow” we will get left behind everyone else.

If we had rehired Dan or hired Gus, then I agree, but we didn't. Just go back at look at how time Arnett's resume is.

Offshore Dawg
09-18-2023, 07:21 AM
If you had taken the over on Colorado, you have your money already !!

Offshore Dawg
09-18-2023, 07:24 AM
Let's not forget that next year is supposed to be a rebuilding year so do people actually believe we will any better next year? Odds are, we will be worse

Dawgs can have a worse record but look a lot better doing it.

CoachT14
09-18-2023, 07:30 AM
Dawgs can have a worse record but look a lot better doing it.

It’ll be hard to be much than the 4-8 we are about to experience.

defiantdog
09-18-2023, 07:33 AM
Yep and Colorado is an NIL powerhouse too. We have no chance.***

Colorado is a 21 point underdog to Oregon this week. We'll see who they really are especially since Travis Hunter is out.

Dawgface
09-18-2023, 07:34 AM
It’ll be hard to be much than the 4-8 we are about to experience.

4-8 is no guarantee.

Turfdawg67
09-18-2023, 07:39 AM

This was Arnett's 4th game and we've looked woefully unprepared in all of them. If he can't look competent with this veteran team, what are we going to look like during next year's rebuild? We've made a grave mistake and are back to the Croom years of uncompetitiveness. At least Croom had a defense...

CoachT14
09-18-2023, 08:01 AM
4-8 is no guarantee.

4-8 is more likely than 6-6 or better. Especially with Will at QB.

Matt3467
09-18-2023, 08:32 AM

LSU will end up with ~3 losses. They aren't as good as some on here make them out to be. FSU trounced them then nearly lost to a BC team that lost to a horrible NIU and barely beat Holy Cross.

I see two games on our schedule that we should definitely win and that's Western Michigan and Southern Miss. Where else are we optimistic about getting two more wins? SC just gave Georgia a game and we play them at their home. I'll never believe we beat Bama until we do. We play at ARK. At AU. KY looks good. At A&M. Then who knows what happens on Thanksgiving. After week 3 I don't think there can be any question about it that we're the worst team in the SEC right now. We were lucky to beat AZ at home being gifted 5 turnovers and after that game I knew we were in trouble but some would have others believe we went and nearly threw that game so we could hide a few plays.

viverlibre
09-18-2023, 08:53 AM
LSU will end up with ~3 losses. They aren't as good as some on here make them out to be. FSU trounced them then nearly lost to a BC team that lost to a horrible NIU and barely beat Holy Cross.

I'm wasn't predicting that LSU is a playoff team, my point is they are better than last year and we are worse (or the same at best), so Saturday's loss shouldn't have surprised anyone. Even with Leach coaching, we likely lose that game. We were double digit underdogs.

bulldawg28
09-18-2023, 09:09 AM
Arnett isn't going anywhere nor should he. I suspect he'll fire coaches and make changes. He'll figure it out and the team will win.

ShotgunDawg
09-18-2023, 09:43 AM
The good ones show it quick.

Learning curve is a myth. You know really quick when teams are well coached

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Arnett isn't going anywhere nor should he. I suspect he'll fire coaches and make changes. He'll figure it out and the team will win.

Name me the coaches that greatly underperformed year 1 and turned out good? Sure there are some, but for every 1 you find there are 10 that simply kept sucking.

Could Arnett be the 1 who pans out? Sure. But he hired a bad DC, probably hired a bad PC, hired a bad WR coach, and hired a bad OL coach, and hired a couple more retread assistants because they've been here before. He has very few coaching connections and this season isn't going to make anyone want to hitch their careers to him. We can always poach a G5 position coach just because of pay but getting a proven OC or DC is going to be hard. Especially if Arnett wants to keep his D- he'll have to take over the plycalling and some of the coaching himself if he wants his system to work here. Brock ain't it.

bulldawg28
09-18-2023, 10:53 AM
Name me the coaches that greatly underperformed year 1 and turned out good? Sure there are some, but for every 1 you find there are 10 that simply kept sucking.

Could Arnett be the 1 who pans out? Sure. But he hired a bad DC, probably hired a bad PC, hired a bad WR coach, and hired a bad OL coach, and hired a couple more retread assistants because they've been here before. He has very few coaching connections and this season isn't going to make anyone want to hitch their careers to him. We can always poach a G5 position coach just because of pay but getting a proven OC or DC is going to be hard. Especially if Arnett wants to keep his D- he'll have to take over the plycalling and some of the coaching himself if he wants his system to work here. Brock ain't it.

You make this scenario fit any narrative you want. Truthfully if you see made positive decision making changes that's positive to me.

FSU is an easy example.

MBDawg601
09-18-2023, 11:28 AM

Are you basing this of of anything? Or just guessing?

The 3 game sample we have been given does not lead me to believe he has a clue what he is doing and I don't think he has ever been in a position to roll heads. I'm glad you are optimistic.

Coach34
09-18-2023, 11:29 AM

Bobby Bowden went 5-6 at Fla St
Bear Bryant went 1-9 at Texas A&M
Howard Schnellenberger had 3 straight losing seasons to begin at Louisville
People were saying Kirby Smart going 8-5 at Georgia in Y1 was underachieving

Remind me again- who was picked last in the West this season by damn near everyone?

civildawg
09-18-2023, 11:30 AM
If we still look pitiful by the end of the year and go 5-7 or 4-8, go get Mike Elko from Duke and be done with it

KB21
09-18-2023, 11:34 AM
If we still look pitiful by the end of the year and go 5-7 or 4-8, go get Mike Elko from Duke and be done with it

No more defensive minded head coaches.

civildawg
09-18-2023, 11:35 AM
Remind me again- who was picked last in the West this season by damn near everyone?

This happens every year though.

Coach34
09-18-2023, 11:38 AM
This happens every year though.

It doesnt happen every year. It happens about every other year

We were picked last- so anything better than last would be overachieving.

Goldendawg
09-18-2023, 11:47 AM

Inexperienced I can live with and give a chance to learn and grow. No excuse though, to admit two weeks in a row that the staff had this experienced 9 win team last year unprepared. This could be JoMo 2.0 trying to pound round pegs into square holes. The offense has reminded me of Croom/Woody and the defense is terrible at this point to boot. Beat SC or this season could be very long.

DownwardDawg
09-18-2023, 11:50 AM

Wait a minute now, I thought we had this veteran team and were poised to win 6-8 games.

Matt3467
09-18-2023, 11:50 AM

Apart from Kirby Bryant and Schnellenberger are different cases. Schnellenberger came into Louisville already with a winning background although looking at Louisville's record during his tenure apart from a couple good years they weren't anything special and barely rode above .500. Bryant of course already had big success at KY before A&M. I think the main point is that Arnett had no indicators that he was ready. Kirby had 8 years under arguably the GOAT. Mullen came over with huge success on offense coaching under Urban Meyer. I liker Arnett and it's nothing against him personally but we keep shooting ourselves in the foot with these hires and I'm not just talking HC.

DownwardDawg
09-18-2023, 11:52 AM
Inexperienced I can live with and give a chance to learn and grow. No excuse though, to admit two weeks in a row that the staff had this experienced 9 win team last year unprepared. This could be JoMo 2.0 trying to pound round pegs into square holes. The offense has reminded me of Croom/Woody and the defense is terrible at this point to boot. Beat SC or this season could be very long.

I've never been on a coach this early in his career. Not even close, but this team looks as bad as I've ever seen a State team look. Yes, I was in the stadium for most of Croom's home games.

BlackSailsDawg
09-18-2023, 11:56 AM

Yes he should. I love the 3-3-5, but this is on him. He's the HC and he has no clue how to be the head coach!

KB21
09-18-2023, 12:03 PM
The good thing is, Selmon has been around the Air Raid his entire career as a member of athletic departments.

Goldendawg
09-18-2023, 12:13 PM
Yes he should. I love the 3-3-5, but this is on him. He's the HC and he has no clue how to be the head coach!

Read all the fall camp how good and deep our DL was that we might play some 4 down linemen. We did have two sacks from DL against LSU but we have barely touched the QB in three hoime games. We often send two LB's and still get no pressure and then get eat up on short passes in the flats in the very area the LB's vacated. We need to try a more traditional 4 down linemen with two tackles and two DE's (JMO), as it couldn't be much worse. We knew our LB's aren't very fast, maybe they need to stay more in position instead of blitzs that don't get there. Cushions given by DB's and safetys isolated alone against opponents' best receiver boggles the mind.

Maverick91
09-18-2023, 12:18 PM
Read all the fall camp how good and deep our DL was that we might play some 4 down linemen. We did have two sacks from DL against LSU but we have barely touched the QB in three hoime games. We often send two LB's and still get no pressure and then get eat up on short passes in the flats in the very area the LB's vacated. We need to try a more traditional 4 down linemen with two tackles and two DE's (JMO), as it couldn't be much worse. We knew our LB's aren't very fast, maybe they need to stay more in position instead of blitzs that don't get there. Cushions given by DB's and safetys isolated alone against opponents' best receiver boggles the mind.

I wish we would go 4-2-5 and 4 of those DBs be true CBs to help in coverage. I think our front six could do a good job without having to bring in a safety for run support.

Leroy Jenkins
09-18-2023, 12:23 PM
Read all the fall camp how good and deep our DL was that we might play some 4 down linemen.

We debated going 4 down because we didn't have anyone to replace Wheat at Sam, not because the DL was good.

Goldendawg
09-18-2023, 12:34 PM
We debated going 4 down because we didn't have anyone to replace Wheat at Sam, not because the DL was good.

I'm an old Dog, looks like I fell for how good, fast and deep we were at DL and LB. Was insulted when a team with 19 SR/grad starters were coming back on a 9 win team from last year was picked last by media and coaches. Knew we had to rebuild secondary, but thought we had some good underclassmen and transfers. Add in a rookie HC/staff at several positions, new O and this is tough to watch. The Air Raid with quick short passes also hid major weaknesses of the QB and OL. Zac was better at DC than HC to date. Brock and Barbay look totally lost.

Matt3467
09-18-2023, 12:48 PM
I'm an old Dog, looks like I fell for how good, fast and deep we were at DL and LB. Was insulted when a team with 19 SR/grad starters were coming back on a 9 win team from last year was picked last by media and coaches. Knew we had to rebuild secondary, but thought we had some good underclassmen and transfers. Add in a rookie HC/staff at several positions, new O and this is tough to watch. The Air Raid with quick short passes also hid major weaknesses of the QB and OL. Zac was better at DC than HC to date. Brock and Barbay look totally lost.

It's been a while since we had some speed at LB. Wheat wasn't as slow as the others but watching Jett try to run someone down or better yet spy a mobile QB makes me cringe everytime. Seems like forever since we had Richie Brown and Matt Wells back there.

viverlibre
09-18-2023, 01:03 PM
I'm an old Dog, looks like I fell for how good, fast and deep we were at DL and LB. Was insulted when a team with 19 SR/grad starters were coming back on a 9 win team from last year was picked last by media and coaches.

It's not just our team they look at when picking the order of finish, it's about what EVERY team did in the off season to get better. The barn hired a great coach (bad human though), UM brought in some good transfers, Ark lost a good OC, we lost a very good coach and replaced him with someone who has zero business leading a big time program in the toughest conference in the land, plus we lost one of our best WRs, a 1st round CB and our second best RB.

That we were picked last, should surprise no one. We didn't get much better from the portal (unless I'm missing some one). The portal was a net loss for us.

Goldendawg
09-18-2023, 01:10 PM
It's not just our team they look at when picking the order of finish, it's about what EVERY team did in the off season to get better. The barn hired a great coach (bad human though), UM brought in some good transfers, Ark lost a good OC, we lost a very good coach and replaced him with someone who has zero business leading a big time program in the toughest conference in the land, plus we lost one of our best WRs, a 1st round CB and our second best RB.

That we were picked last, should surprise no one. We didn't get much better from the portal (unless I'm missing some one). The portal was a net loss for us.

Good points, but we usually out perform these predictions historically. However, this year looks like a total mess on so many levels.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-18-2023, 01:20 PM
Selmon ain't going to do anything one way or the other. 99% of athletic directors are bureaucrats who shake hands, kiss babies, and kiss ass to donors. That's the way it is. There are very few who get up every morning fired up to get in the office and compete like a son-of-a-bitch at their profession. It's a job full of guys who coast and look good representing. Their salary and title tells them they have "made it in life", and they perform like they've already made it. It is what it is. The AD who gets up 365 days per year determined to whip the biggest bully on the block and become king of the hill is almost impossible to find. And generally a suit in a college president's office would be too intimidated to hire one anyway.

BlackSailsDawg
09-18-2023, 01:27 PM
I certainly hope he does.

KB21
09-18-2023, 01:44 PM
I certainly hope he does.

If our boosters are involved, I'm not sure we will like the outcome. Think about it. We were legitimately an hour or so away from hiring Joe Judge back in 2020 to replace Joe Moorhead. That was John Cohen getting us a Mississippi State guy that our boosters would support after Moorhead.

BlackSailsDawg
09-18-2023, 01:49 PM
If our boosters are involved, I'm not sure we will like the outcome. Think about it. We were legitimately an hour or so away from hiring Joe Judge back in 2020 to replace Joe Moorhead. That was John Cohen getting us a Mississippi State guy that our boosters would support after Moorhead.

Then we will be the next Auburn dumpster fire.

KB21
09-18-2023, 01:55 PM

No doubt. My prediction is that we will have some boosters that reach out to Dan Mullen, and he will not show any interest in returning to the sidelines. After that, they will probably just decide to keep Zach Arnett.

EDIT: It took a national embarrassment before they fired Joe Moorhead.

bulldawg28
09-18-2023, 05:00 PM

Testify!

StarkVegasSteve
09-18-2023, 05:36 PM
I will say this, if he goes 4-8 this year, keeps his job, and we run it back with this same staff then next year will be an unmitigated disaster. Tech and 10 would not be out of the realm of possibility. We need MASSIVE help out of the portal at about 19 of 22 positions next year and our NIL is not set up to keep our players AND bring in new ones. No matter what happens the rest of the way this year, we will need a minor miracle or multiple guys to take MASSIVE steps forward to make a bowl next year.

Goldendawg
09-18-2023, 05:49 PM
Seriously, what changes or improvements has Selmon brought to the athletic department in his short time at the helm? Low key, behind the scenes or other?

Coach34
09-18-2023, 07:46 PM
I will say this, if he goes 4-8 this year, keeps his job, and we run it back with this same staff then next year will be an unmitigated disaster. Tech and 10 would not be out of the realm of possibility. We need MASSIVE help out of the portal at about 19 of 22 positions next year and our NIL is not set up to keep our players AND bring in new ones. No matter what happens the rest of the way this year, we will need a minor miracle or multiple guys to take MASSIVE steps forward to make a bowl next year.

We are almost assuredly not going to pay a huge buyout of millions to him after 1 season. Outside of him banging a midget in the meeting room on X Live- he is going to be the HC in 2024. After that? Who knows

BankerDog
09-18-2023, 08:59 PM

We don?t have Auburn pockets..

BankerDog
09-18-2023, 09:00 PM
Seriously, what changes or improvements has Selmon brought to the athletic department in his short time at the helm? Low key, behind the scenes or other?

NIL funding has improved tremendously. Now we just have to start closing on guys instead of boosters walking in there with the old school Mississippi State mentality of ?I know your daddy and momma son..?

civildawg
09-18-2023, 09:23 PM
We are almost assuredly not going to pay a huge buyout of millions to him after 1 season. Outside of him banging a midget in the meeting room on X Live- he is going to be the HC in 2024. After that? Who knows

Show me the link that he has a huge buyout. I'm trying to find something online but I swore I remember Faulk or someone reporting that the buyout was advantageous to MSU

BlackSailsDawg
09-18-2023, 09:42 PM
We don?t have Auburn pockets..

The depth of the pockets are relative to the teams, not to those pockets throwing their weight around and making decisions.

Coach34
09-19-2023, 09:10 AM
Show me the link that he has a huge buyout.

Show me something that says he doesnt. No coach is going to sign some contract with a tiny buyout. It may not be the full 9MM- but it will be substantial

ArrowDawg
09-19-2023, 10:37 AM

It's so comforting to know we're willing to allow a university president to destroy our football program with his hire, assuming Arnett is the disaster he appears to be so far.

TrapGame
09-19-2023, 10:47 AM
Show me something that says he doesnt. No coach is going to sign some contract with a tiny buyout. It may not be the full 9MM- but it will be substantial

I could have sworn we covered this back in January. I thought he had a two year contract with only a million dollar buyout to protect both sides. I could have sworn this was what we were told.

ArrowDawg
09-19-2023, 11:00 AM

Remind me again - which people almost always pick us last and get it wrong? Oh yeah, the same people. A blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. Doesn't mean they know a damn thing. If we finish last, it isn't because they knew anything. If we finish last, it's because our coaching staff SUCKS.

FISHDAWG
09-19-2023, 01:44 PM
Are you basing this of of anything? Or just guessing?

The 3 game sample we have been given does not lead me to believe he has a clue what he is doing and I don't think he has ever been in a position to roll heads. I'm glad you are optimistic.

We had a 3 YEAR sample with Croom and still ended up giving him an extension

Leroy Jenkins
09-19-2023, 02:40 PM
Selmon needs to take notes this weekend when he goes to SC, everything from the DJ and the music to the stadium lights, lasers etc.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-19-2023, 03:18 PM

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?97696-We-traded-UGA-RaRa-for-Goede/page2

Here's what we know:

1. Rogers is football smart. Great thing to have at QB
2. Rogers is extremely accurate up to 20 yards.
3. Defenses playing us will no longer expect pass every play
4. Safeties now have to be involved in the run game and cant just sit back to force underneath throws
5. Wright gives us an extra package defenses will have to prep for

We will improve offensively

You want to have your cake and eat it too. Can't be saying "we'll be better offensively" and as soon as we suck come back with "well what did you expect? We were picked last!"

We went 9-4 last year. We return almost evryone. The "offense will improve". No, that doesn't add up to a 7th in the west finish. Just like with Lemonis, you're covering up for awful State coaching

viverlibre
09-19-2023, 03:32 PM
Selmon needs to take notes this weekend when he goes to SC, everything from the DJ and the music to the stadium lights, lasers etc.

Are you trying to kill our Blue Hairs? They complain if someone stands up.

Coach34
09-19-2023, 04:05 PM
I could have sworn we covered this back in January. I thought he had a two year contract with only a million dollar buyout to protect both sides. I could have sworn this was what we were told.

https://hailstate.com/news/2022/12/15/zach-arnett-named-mississippi-states-35th-head-football-coach.aspx

4 years at 3MM per

TrapGame
09-19-2023, 04:14 PM
https://hailstate.com/news/2022/12/15/zach-arnett-named-mississippi-states-35th-head-football-coach.aspx

4 years at 3MM per

Why do I feel like we are in a Will Muschamp/Butch Jones situation?

Dawgface
09-19-2023, 05:09 PM
We're screwed.

DownwardDawg
09-19-2023, 05:15 PM
Remind me again - which people almost always pick us last and get it wrong? Oh yeah, the same people. A blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. Doesn't mean they know a damn thing. If we finish last, it isn't because they knew anything. If we finish last, it's because our coaching staff SUCKS.

Spot on Arrow.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-19-2023, 05:44 PM

4 years at 3MM per

Yes but that doesn't mean it's all guaranteed. His buyout may only be $4M or something

It doesn't matter though, because Selmon and Keenum have no stones

ScoobaDawg
09-19-2023, 06:02 PM

Finally someone who has a clear mind and understands reality not emotion.

Zach gets 2 years minimum.
It might suck. We might not make a bowl (which would be fu*king epicly bad) but it's the truth. We aren't firing him after one year unless fights are happening on the team

dawgday166
09-19-2023, 07:32 PM

LMAO ... in year 1 with Leach and a complete overhall with nothing but true freshmen in the backfield, Covid, SEC schedule, etc. you were all over Leach's pitiful Air Raid when it won only 4 games and ready to fire him.

And now ... you have all the patience in the world.

And another FWIW ... only Kirby inherited anything similar to what we have on our roster. Comparing Bear's 1st TAM team and Schnellenberger's 1st Miami team to this team ... LMAO SMH.

ETA: Bear's 1st year at TAM bout the same situation as Leach's 1st year at MSU. He ran off an all-conference center cause he got sick of watching film of him wallowing around on the field and not blocking anybody.

Kirby did inherit some talent tho and yea, people were laughing at him.

I'm willing to give Arnett time and I do think he's handicapped at the QB position however ... whatever happened to the "I guarantee this offense will be better than the Airborne"?

Coach34
09-19-2023, 08:41 PM
We need to be better for sure. Not excusing anything. I'm just talking about the expectations portion- we were not expected to be very good by damn near everyone.

Pancho
09-19-2023, 08:52 PM

It might suck. We might not make a bowl (which would be fu*king epicly bad) but it's the truth. We aren't firing him after one year unless fights are happening on the team

Is 0fer in the SEC circus worthy? I seriously doubt we defeat any conference team with Will standing and then falling down by himself .

Todd4State
09-19-2023, 11:13 PM

4 years at 3MM per

Even if the buyout is the full value of the contract- which I doubt it is- isn't that why we have the Leo Seal money? In case we have a really bad coaching situation?

This definitely has the potential to qualify as that.

It's very possible that a contract can be terminated for poor performance.

A buyout is similar to a severance package in an instance like this and it's always negotiable as well. Depends on the language in the contract of course.

MBDawg601
09-20-2023, 06:25 AM
As the season wears own and we continue to get hammered by everyone in the SEC.

I would imagine some of this "patience" people have will diminish. I'm almost impressed they still have some after the 3 games we have played. Maybe I am super critical, but another year of being ranked in the 100 range on both offense and defense could be a 10 year rebuild for a team like us with no real success in recent history.

viverlibre
09-20-2023, 06:49 AM
only Kirby inherited anything similar to what we have on our roster

We have a lot of seniors and experience on our team, but not a lot of high level talent or NFL prospects (three of our top players from last year either got drafted or transferred). Kirby likely inherited a lot of talent, similar to SloMo.

msugolf
09-20-2023, 07:16 AM

Yeah get back to me when we go winless in conference, including getting run over in the egg bowl. Losing that game decisively changes peoples minds really really quick, especially the ones that call the shots.

TrapGame
09-20-2023, 08:01 AM
Yeah get back to me when we go winless in conference, including getting run over in the egg bowl. Losing that game decisively changes peoples minds really really quick, especially the ones that call the shots.

Yeah, Jaxon Dart having a career day against us in a 55-10 victory will change a lot of minds.

Goldendawg
09-20-2023, 02:23 PM
Yeah, Jaxon Dart having a career day against us in a 55-10 victory will change a lot of minds.

History: 45(?) to 0 Egg Bowl loss. HC quote, "Well, I didn't see that one coming". Croom creamed and gone. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. We look Tech and 10 after 3 games. SC win could turn year around and we need it to turn things around and save season 4 games in.

TrapGame
09-20-2023, 03:13 PM
Those who forget history are Croomed to repeat it.

Fixed it for ya.

State82
09-20-2023, 04:25 PM
We might not make a bowl (which would be fu*king epicly bad) but it's the truth.

It would be almost as epicly bad as missing Hoover. Twice. In back to back years. Not as bad, but close.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-20-2023, 05:16 PM
It would be almost as epicly bad as missing Hoover. Twice. In back to back years. Not as bad, but close.

So you're saying if we go 4-8 we'll need to keep Arnett to "keep the recruiting class together"?*****

Goldendawg
09-20-2023, 05:26 PM
We better have a successful 6-6 ,Bowl worthy season (4-0, barely OOC & 2-6 in our conference, great success). I already bought a new heavy coat and chains for my '02 Impala (bought new!) to safely make that road trip to Birmingham if the global warming goes away and we get snow that day!***** StarkVegas, can you give advance look on weather for that day?***

State82
09-20-2023, 07:06 PM
So you're saying if we go 4-8 we'll need to keep Arnett to "keep the recruiting class together"?*****
Now you are catching on!****

Pancho
09-20-2023, 10:07 PM
burnside will be in oxford and harrell has no shark offer, so he'll go elsewhere