PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Chapped Ass Edition

Coach34
09-17-2023, 10:47 AM
1. I hate working on Saturday. Utterly despise it. I dont mind the 6 day/70 hour work week that is coaching in season- but I got to be able to enjoy my Saturday to rest and recharge. We had our "Egg Bowl" last night and let's just say State played better than we did last night. How bad was it? I have a call that means "DON'T MOVE". Dont Fu***** MOVE. It's called Black Penguin. We dont have any playcall for a penguin. So in addition to it being the "dont move" play- what would you even do on a play called penguin?????? Guess what we did last night? Instead of getting the 5 yards for them jumping offsides on a critical drive- we moveddddddddddddd. It was that kind of night.

2. Welllllll- we threw it more. Everybody wanted more passes and you got it. 29 passes to 21 runs. Passing solves everything doesnt it?

3. Its just a poor job all around offensively. The OC is to blame because ultimately- he has to get the guys in something that works. Will is to blame- he is not playing well at all. You can see he is not comfortable with all the moving around he has to do in this offense. Lots of underthrows. The OL is bad. They arent picking up stunts and twists. The WR's arent looking for the ball when the QB is ready to deliver it. They arent in the spot the QB expects them to be in. Nothing right now looks good about us offensively. One play that stood out to me yesterday was the swing pass we threw to Marks and of course he immediately got tackled. We threw it to the trips side and the WR's were running routes- not blocking. Tulu was running a wheel route. Either Rogers didnt make the correct read and give the routes time to develop- OR- the WR's didnt know what the hell the playcall was. But either way the offense is not on the page and it happens alot. That's garbage.

4. Defensively? Yesterday reminded me of the old John McKay quote- "We can't stop the pass or the run but otherwise we're in great shape"

5. I've never seen a team pass drop their LB's the way we do. Our guys are dropping to 15 yards. It's like we are defending the Mike Leach Airbone out there. Daniels just kept hitting guys underneath and they would get yardage. Then we would man up and they just ran simple Hitch/Fade Mirror hitting Nabors for a couple of TD's. Daniels couldnt go 31/37 against air but I'll be damned if we didnt make him look like an AA out there. Holy crap that was bad pass coverage.

6. Stop calling for Parsons. If he was the dude he wouldnt be 3rd string right now. The outlook is Wright likely being the QB in 24. Could that change? Absolutely. But if any change is to be made at QB its going to be Wright. But what has to change is the offense needs to get on the same page. It's a complete cluster**** right now and that cant happen at an SEC program. Nothing needs to be added- get better at what you do because right now we arent good at anything.

7. White helmets still suck

HailState

Dawgface
09-17-2023, 11:04 AM
8. The coaches are shit. We're screwed.

MBDawg601
09-17-2023, 11:07 AM
9. Ole Miss may win the west. We're screwed.

TrapGame
09-17-2023, 11:13 AM
Arnett wasn't ready to be a head coach. Mike Wright needs to take over the offense.

AROB44
09-17-2023, 11:18 AM
Stop calling for Parsons

If he isn't any good, why did we sign him?

HancockCountyDog
09-17-2023, 11:23 AM
Stop calling for Parsons

He is a dual threat freshman QB that is recovering from an injury. Give him time. No one, and I mean no one expected him to play this year.

defiantdog
09-17-2023, 11:28 AM
Stop calling for Parsons

Parson not Parsons

CaptainObvious
09-17-2023, 11:29 AM
Stop calling for Parsons

Because he didn?t want to play for Florida State maybe?

Who knows.

But Lane is sitting there in Oxford with 3 capable Starters and we can?t find one. Does anyone think Ole Miss keeps getting these talented QBs to transfer in if Kiffin ain?t their Coach?

We should have thrown money at Malzhan if we wanted to be Vanilla State University! At least his offense is consistent!

BlackSailsDawg
09-17-2023, 11:38 AM

This is fact!

BankerDog
09-17-2023, 11:44 AM
Because he didn?t want to play for Florida State maybe?

Who knows.

But Lane is sitting there in Oxford with 3 capable Starters and we can?t find one. Does anyone think Ole Miss keeps getting these talented QBs to transfer in if Kiffin ain?t their Coach?

We should have thrown money at Malzhan if we wanted to be Vanilla State University! At least his offense is consistent!

With the money they spent on QBs this off-season, let throw this question out there. Everyone knows they tried hard to get RaRa and Tulu from our squad. But why, if they were hell bent on getting transfer QBs, did Lane not come after Rogers??

Again Will is a great kid, but he was offered by Joe to get Mingo. It backfired in a few ways..

WSOPdawg
09-17-2023, 11:48 AM

Enough with the BS already, OM doesn't have the D to win win the West, much less finish 4-4 in the SEC. I agree that the West is "down" this year and it's unfortunate that we don't appear to be in position to capitalize. But stop acting like OM is ready to "walk on water."

RockyDog
09-17-2023, 11:51 AM

You can be pissed about our performance but don’t be delusional. Jaxon Fart is not running for 100 yards on Bama and Judkins still looks terrible. No way they come close to winning the West.

WinningIsRelentless
09-17-2023, 11:51 AM
I?ll give the ol a little pass because they haven?t faced stunts in 3 years. A mobile qb would help them a ton.

StarkVegasSteve
09-17-2023, 11:55 AM
I?ll give the ol a little pass because they haven?t faced stunts in 3 years. A mobile qb would help them a ton.

I am genuinely interested in why some people think that. How would a mobile QB help them? I mean I guess instead of giving up 9 sacks we would only give up 5? Our O Line is trash and they are coached by two guys who suck.

msstate7
09-17-2023, 11:58 AM
I am genuinely interested in why some people think that. How would a mobile QB help them? I mean I guess instead of giving up 9 sacks we would only give up 5? Our O Line is trash and they are coached by two guys who suck.

A running qb would at least make dlinemen maintain lane integrity. DEs can just run around the edge without any worry of a qb taking off in the area he left open

WinningIsRelentless
09-17-2023, 12:00 PM

Forces the defenders to play a step slower to make sure they don?t lose contain on the edges. That?s why you see barbay keep trying to roll will out some even know it?s a weak point for him. If I?m a dc right now with will at qb I?m bringing 5 every time and telling my outside contain to get up field hard because he isn?t a threat to get outside.

Todd4State
09-17-2023, 12:02 PM
A running qb would at least make dlinemen maintain lane integrity. DEs can just run around the edge without any worry of a qb taking off in the area he left open

Mahomes would struggle behind our o-line.

StarkVegasSteve
09-17-2023, 12:03 PM

But there is one main problem with that….WRIGHT CANNOT THROW. Teams will just stack the box, blitz the LBs up the middle and contain on the edge.

msstate7
09-17-2023, 12:04 PM

Of course any qb would have some struggles, but a good qb would at least make some plays. Will has no shot behind out line right now, so our team has no shot at winning

msstate7
09-17-2023, 12:07 PM
But there is one main problem with that….WRIGHT CANNOT THROW. Teams will just stack the box, blitz the LBs up the middle and contain on the edge.

This seems overstated. Wright playing on vandy with bad coaching had a 134 passer rating last year. Will had a 139 passer rating last year with a college football HOF coach

EdwardDrayton
09-17-2023, 12:11 PM
The perfect thread title!! The way we all feel I'm sure.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-17-2023, 12:22 PM
But there is one main problem with that?.WRIGHT CANNOT THROW. Teams will just stack the box, blitz the LBs up the middle and contain on the edge.

11/28 103 yards 0 TDs and 5 sacks

The only reason LSU didn't stack the box is that they didn't need too to stop our run. They didn't keep safeties back because they feared Wills 39% comp %

RockyDog
09-17-2023, 12:22 PM
But there is one main problem with that?.WRIGHT CANNOT THROW. Teams will just stack the box, blitz the LBs up the middle and contain on the edge.

Wright never had an 11 for 28 game last year. Stop with your bullcrap

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-17-2023, 12:28 PM
C34, I still feel you're taking it easy on the staff. You understood way more than I did watching that game, and I saw terrible coaching on all sides. I think you have level 5 alarm bells going off watching our coaching decisions, but you're pulling punches because you think it's best for State to not pile on.

Coach34
09-17-2023, 12:28 PM

He completed 57% of his passes last year. Where does this bogus narrative come from?

calidawg
09-17-2023, 12:29 PM

Dude we've won 8 games with relf and Fitz. Good OCs figure it out

CoachT14
09-17-2023, 12:33 PM

How do you know Wright can?t throw? There?s no definitive answer. Cause it?s made up. We?ve yet to see him get an opportunity. It?s not like Will can throw either. He?s been awful.

CoachT14
09-17-2023, 12:34 PM
He completed 57% of his passes last year. Where does this bogus narrative come from?

Will fan bois making stuff up so their precious can keep playing.

basedog
09-17-2023, 12:36 PM
Too many excuses, it ain't just Will, it's the scheme on offense and defense. In saying this, it all comes down to coaching and coaching decisions. It's obviously there have been way too many bad decisions. I just don't think things can be worked out for this year. Arnett needs to take control of calling the defense, gotta put Barbay in the box upstairs and let someone like Greg Knox be the main play caller on offense.

If we don't make changes with personnel and find out if we can do better, then Arnett isn't who we thought he would be.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-17-2023, 12:37 PM

Bucky, Black sails, and KB21. The noted Will fans who wanted to keep the pure Air Raid. Oh, Homedawg too. "I've seen practice" is the only evidence provided. WHich is fair enough I guess, I"m sure Will does look better in practice. But in a game? Wright can't be worse than 11/28 and 78 net yards of offense

StarkVegasSteve
09-17-2023, 12:47 PM
Dude we've won 8 games with relf and Fitz. Good OCs figure it out

But we do not have a good OC

StarkVegasSteve
09-17-2023, 12:49 PM

Look I want to replace Will. But are we really saying 57% completion rate is good???? Like that is slightly better than Will is at his worst?.which is right now. I know Will is not the answer, but I do not believe Wright is either. We should have gone all in on some of the other portal guys and then could have circled back to Wright. We have the worst QB room in the conference at the moment by a decently wide margin.

Instead we went all in on defensive portal guys who have not played a snap, a WR who has played 15% of snaps, a TE who is crap, and Mike Wright. Wright is the only one who has remotely contributed anything positive to this team.

Turfdawg67
09-17-2023, 12:55 PM

But Barbay was one of the top five offensive coordinators out there according to this op. 29 passes, yeah boy we threw it more. Lolz... This guy's opinion is as bad as bad as his coaching apparently.

RockyDog
09-17-2023, 01:00 PM
Here’s a solution.

Let Will have an injury. He can be listed as out due to foot concretitis. He’s only played 3 games so a redshirt is available to him. Let him finish out the season on the sidelines with a headset. Then during the off-season he can go collect his millions in NIL and have 2 more years to play for a college powerhouse and on to the NFL. It’s a win win and WR and his fan club can move on to bigger and better things.

Coach34
09-17-2023, 01:00 PM
C34, I still feel you're taking it easy on the staff. You understood way more than I did watching that game, and I saw terrible coaching on all sides. I think you have level 5 alarm bells going off watching our coaching decisions, but you're pulling punches because you think it's best for State to not pile on.

Coaching is definitely a problem. When your players arent running plays correctly- thats a huge problem. Something is getting lost in translation. They need to get it figured out ASAP

RockyDog
09-17-2023, 01:04 PM
Look I want to replace Will. But are we really saying 57% completion rate is good???? Like that is slightly better than Will is at his worst?.which is right now. I know Will is not the answer, but I do not believe Wright is either. We should have gone all in on some of the other portal guys and then could have circled back to Wright. We have the worst QB room in the conference at the moment by a decently wide margin.

Instead we went all in on defensive portal guys who have not played a snap, a WR who has played 15% of snaps, a TE who is crap, and Mike Wright. Wright is the only one who has remotely contributed anything positive to this team.

57% is a hell of a lot better than 39%, especially when most of those 28 throws failed to clear the first down marker

Cowbell
09-17-2023, 01:16 PM

Preach. I mean, there is a reason we didn't just bull rush every play yesterday.

NCDawg
09-17-2023, 01:20 PM

Agree, and our DL appears incapable of putting any pressure on the QB. They try and struggle but just can't get to the the QB. Guess they're too slow and not strong enough.

MBDawg601
09-17-2023, 01:20 PM
You can be pissed about our performance but don?t be delusional. Jaxon Fart is not running for 100 yards on Bama and Judkins still looks terrible. No way they come close to winning the West.

It is not that Ole Miss looks great. It's that the west looks that bad.

DownwardDawg
09-17-2023, 01:21 PM

Relf couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and he led us to 8-4 regular season and some big wins. Coaching......

DownwardDawg
09-17-2023, 01:24 PM
It is not that Ole Miss looks great. It's that the west looks that bad.

Yesterday showed me that ole miss can't stop the run. Is saban smart enough to run it down their throats? He hasn't shown to be in the past.

MBDawg601
09-17-2023, 01:30 PM
Yesterday showed me that ole miss can't stop the run. Is saban smart enough to run it down their throats? He hasn't shown to be in the past.

If they start Milroe, they may squeak out a win. Tulane and GA Tech are not bad football teams. Both of those teams have better QBs than we do. It's not even close.

vindastra
09-17-2023, 01:37 PM

Looks at Wright's 57% completion rate and Will Mannings' 39% completion rate...scratches head in confusion...

Really Clark?
09-17-2023, 01:40 PM
Look I've been saying that Will was our best option at QB at the start of the year. But Wright should have taken the second half and run what he could, including passing. Is he a good passer? No, but he is better than the spring game now and has some arm talent to push it down field. If you can get 13 for 22 passing with 170 yards for him right now it might be enough to keep teams honest with his running ability. Ultimately we can't execute, the answer for me is to simplify the offensive package to what we can execute and build off of that.

I also said earlier this week we had to have a quick trigger on our OL issues. Well we did switch up OL but nothing is really working so far. I think you have to make a change to our top graded 4 best OL and stick Bell at RT and just let him grow. Then stick with that group for the next 3 games no matter what.

confucius say
09-17-2023, 02:40 PM
Look I've been saying that Will was our best option at QB at the start of the year. But Wright should have taken the second half and run what he could, including passing. Is he a good passer? No, but he is better than the spring game now and has some arm talent to push it down field. If you can get 13 for 22 passing with 170 yards for him right now it might be enough to keep teams honest with his running ability. Ultimately we can't execute, the answer for me is to simplify the offensive package to what we can execute and build off of that.

I also said earlier this week we had to have a quick trigger on our OL issues. Well we did switch up OL but nothing is really working so far. I think you have to make a change to our top graded 4 best OL and stick Bell at RT and just let him grow. Then stick with that group for the next 3 games no matter what.

Yep and yep.

We are so bad on OL right now. So so bad.

I knew what will was already, so not a shock. Can't move with a weak arm. Only offense he can run is the air raid. Love the kid though.

We have no pass rusher. Put bookie at Sam and bring him off the edge.

Our secondary is meh.

And yes, simplify things. We look lost and slow.

Lord McBuckethead
09-17-2023, 02:43 PM
No he wouldn?t. He would do quick hitter throws, running that DL horiz until they stop bull rushing.

I don?t care what C34 says, Parson is the long term answer and unless he literally cannot run yet, tell him he has one week to get ready.

The reality is, Parson could transfer in 3 months and we never even gave him a look at the field. He literally cannot be worse than Will. Will has like maybe 200 yards for two games and half of our fan base could have made those throws.

Tripp McNeely
09-17-2023, 04:01 PM
Stop calling for Parsons

Plus, that's not even his name!

JoseBrown
09-17-2023, 05:37 PM
Dam Coach, good job, short n sweet?..I agree with everything. I swear with the white helmets and the turd playing dudes wearing them I coulda sworn we were still in the Croom days! His teams looked a lot like us yesterday. I accidentally called Will, Henig, a few times?.for real! Our coaches have a lot of work to do. I hope they can get us turned around, we just don?t look like a football team right now!

DownwardDawg
09-17-2023, 06:17 PM
#2. LSU D was ranked 13th in the SEC against the run. Grambling gashed them. So our coaches came out passing when we've shown we can clearly run the ball.

Sure y'all see how disturbing this is. We are in big trouble.

msudawg1200
09-17-2023, 07:15 PM
Enough with the BS already, OM doesn't have the D to win win the West, much less finish 4-4 in the SEC. I agree that the West is "down" this year and it's unfortunate that we don't appear to be in position to capitalize. But stop acting like OM is ready to "walk on water."

Agreed. They've beat Mercer, Tulane, and Georgia Tech. That ain't murderers row by any means. They were tied with Tulane with 10 minutes remaining, and Tulane was without their starting QB. They allowed almost 500 yards to that offensive juggernaut known as Georgia Tech and were only up 7 with 10 minutes remaining. They are about to get destroyed by Bama and LSU. Period.

Bothrops
09-17-2023, 07:19 PM
You can be pissed about our performance but don?t be delusional. Jaxon Fart is not running for 100 yards on Bama and Judkins still looks terrible. No way they come close to winning the West.

They might. LSU is the best team, but Ole Miss gets them at home and OM could beat Bama Saturday. They have a vertical passing game so they have a good chance. Plus, this is their last chance to ever win the west. Motivation

BuckyIsAB****
09-18-2023, 08:32 AM
With the money they spent on QBs this off-season, let throw this question out there. Everyone knows they tried hard to get RaRa and Tulu from our squad. But why, if they were hell bent on getting transfer QBs, did Lane not come after Rogers??

Again Will is a great kid, but he was offered by Joe to get Mingo. It backfired in a few ways..

Talking out your rear end here bud. I get its a message board, and I wont lose sleep over it. But folks shouldnt get on here and spew lies

BuckyIsAB****
09-18-2023, 08:34 AM
Wright never had an 11 for 28 game last year. Stop with your bullcrap

Yeah because he never threw it close to 28 times. And he never will

BuckyIsAB****
09-18-2023, 08:37 AM
My mistake, he threw it 29 times vs Elon. Against SEC teams he threw it at most 23 times.

Again I am not hating on Wright it?s not his fault he has been put in this position by our staff.

DEDawg
09-18-2023, 08:39 AM

If you think they won?t win 4 conference games idk what to tell you. They are good. 5-3 in the SEC is most likely their floor

DEDawg
09-18-2023, 08:42 AM

You?re telling me Wright can?t read if a LB is coming or not and either throw the middle of the field, take off, or throw it away? Not ideal but some version of that would be better than what we saw Saturday

Really Clark?
09-18-2023, 08:43 AM
Yeah because he never threw it close to 28 times. And he never will

Yes he has. He threw it as much as 44 times in a game vs UM. Didn't throw it well but he has thrown it more than 28 on more than 1 occasion. Not saying he should I think 20-25 times is all I would call for him, less if the run game is going really well. My hope is Will gets right, the OL gets settled and the coaches simplify things to get some sort of foundation to build off of.

DEDawg
09-18-2023, 08:46 AM

You?re joking right? Yes if Wright could complete 57% of his passes for 150ish per game, throw a few deep shots and complete 2 per game, and add another 85-100 on the ground we would be in good shape. Marks would feast in that scenario.

Bothrops
09-18-2023, 10:30 PM
Bottom line is we score touchdowns if Wright plays.

Offshore Dawg
09-19-2023, 05:09 PM
#2. LSU D was ranked 13th in the SEC against the run. Grambling gashed them. So our coaches came out passing when we've shown we can clearly run the ball.

Sure y'all see how disturbing this is. We are in big trouble.

Why do our coaches think doing something against the norm would work ??