PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Thoughts-We Do Not Have A QB Edition

StarkVegasSteve
09-17-2023, 09:55 AM
I am still pissed about that performance yesterday but here we go:

1. Figure out the GD offense. Either go back to the Air Raid and let Will do the only thing he REMOTELY does well or play Wright/Parson and run this offense. It truly is not a hard concept, or so I thought, to figure out.

2. Our defensive secondary is shit. We cannot play man nor can we play zone. If we try to jam receivers they run by us. If we give them cushion the either run by us or run crossing routes right behind our slow LBs.

3. Mason Miller>Will Friend/Mike Schmidt. Our O Line is trash. They have been put on skates in 2 of our 3 games. And the worst part is, this is in pass pro. Something they should be able to do in their sleep.

4. Goede was a wasted scholarship. We would have been better off not getting anything in our ?trade? with Georgia rather than getting him. He is a below average receiving TE and an average to below average blocking TE.

5. We probably need to take playcalling duties away from definitely Brock. Barbay probably needs to lose playcalling duties as well but I have no clue who would take Duties. Knox maybe?

6. Arnett will not be long for this job if every week he comes into a press conference and says that we did not have a good game plan and that is on the coaches. At a certain point it starts sounding like white noise because the changes are not being made.

7. Still hopeful, but not nearly as optimistic.

Dawgface
09-17-2023, 10:22 AM
Poor plan...poor plan is what he said yesterday. If they were not smart enough to come up with a plan yesterday there is no reason to think that will magically change.

starkvegasdawg
09-17-2023, 10:34 AM
If I'm Wright I ask the coaches if he was really brought in to just hand the ball off three times a game. I would be beyond pissed if I were him. Especially since the offense under Will is about as effective as a worm trying to crawl across a hot sidewalk.

Ranchdawg
09-17-2023, 10:35 AM
Poor plan...poor plan is what he said yesterday. If they were not smart enough to come up with a plan yesterday there is no reason to think that will magically change.

And he?s being paid millions for poor plans? Yes he?s not Lane Freeze Kelly Napier millions but it ain?t chicken feed either. Do your #&@% job. Yes I?m angry.

TrapGame
09-17-2023, 10:38 AM
#1: The only answer is tailoring this offense to Mike Wright. We might actually make it to a bowl game.

#2: Brock is a shitty DC who can't mask our flaws.

#3: Two OL coaches is asinine. Friend is probably gone at years end.

#4: Goede followed his volleyball girlfriend here. He's not here to play football. He was a 4* TE out of high school. This is unacceptable.

#5: Brock is not ready be a DC. He does a piss poor job running Arnett's scheme. Arnett needs to take over the defense. I want to see Barbay calling plays for Mike Wright before I totally dump him.

#6: If he's basically saying "I suck as a head coach." after every game with zero changes on either side of the ball then there is no incentive or reason to give him a second year. I'm afraid Selmon is going to have a big decision in December.

#7: I'm not holding my breath. Saturday could be another blood bath. If that happens I think we are staring 4-8 straight in the face. Which means refer to #6.

msstate7
09-17-2023, 10:42 AM
Arnett is saying he essentially sucks in the press conferences? If so, he's about 1 more bad game from me taking him at his word

MBDawg601
09-17-2023, 10:43 AM
Arnett was not hired by our AD.

I have a feeling if this gets any uglier, he may not make it through year 1. The AD will want to hire someone he sees fit.

Not what some of you want to hear, but it may be what we need. We are a very bad football team.

msstate7
09-17-2023, 10:44 AM

I have a feeling if this gets any uglier, he may not make it through year 1. The AD will want to hire someone he sees fit.

Not what some of you want to hear, but it may be what we need. We are a very bad football team.

I'd be shocked if he isn't our HC through at least 2024.

MBDawg601
09-17-2023, 10:45 AM
I'd be shocked if he isn't our HC through at least 2024.

If we go "0-fer" in the sec. He is gone. I can easily see us doing that.

msstate7
09-17-2023, 10:46 AM
If we go "0-fer" in the sec. He is gone. I can easily see us doing that.

Maybe, what's his buy out? I don't think we go winless in sec though

MBDawg601
09-17-2023, 11:02 AM

I'm not sure of his buyout. I just know, the AD has an out. It's not his hire, the leash is shorter in that situation more often than not.

If we continue to look like Vanderbilt (maybe worse?). We may not have a choice?

TrapGame
09-17-2023, 11:06 AM

He didn't make the hire but the hire will reflect on him as an AD. A 4-8 finish will push his hand. I doubt the cigar boys will put up a fight. When we lose 55-10 to Lane they'll be fuming.

Arnett's buyout is pennies compared to other coaches in the conference.

MBDawg601
09-17-2023, 11:11 AM
He didn't make the hire but the hire will reflect on him as an AD. A 4-8 finish will push his hand. I doubt the cigar boys will put up a fight. When we lose 55-10 to Lane they'll be fuming.

This is true, but if he gives Arnett a pass and we duplicate a season like this next year. It could mean 4-5 years of rebuilding. If the entire fan base feels like I do, another few weeks of this and I will have a lot of free time on Saturdays this fall. I love State and love football Saturdays, but there is nothing to be excited about at this point.

CaptainObvious
09-17-2023, 11:17 AM
We ARE Vanderbilt, except without the benefit of being in Nashville.😳

Oversized Stadium, undersized Fanbase, Smallest Budget. Continue to think replacing previous Head Coaches with Assistant Coaches is the best route for our program. In a small State with a Rival that is more committed to winning by hiring a Dynamic and nationally know football coach with modern concepts of successful offenses.

Yep. State is Vandy, Rice, Ga Tech, Indiana and Kansas ?All rolled into one.

BankerDog
09-17-2023, 11:18 AM

The cigar boys hand picked this staff. They were the reasons we brought back Peterson(to have access), Turner, Knox, Bump, and Friend. They had been on a Bump and Friend fest going back to when we hired Leach.

Don?t you think it?s a little funny that all of a sudden we brought back ?South Farm? practices? It?s laughable.

Also does not help that Keenum likes to act as an AD 3/4 of the time and is more Templeton that most know.

TrapGame
09-17-2023, 11:28 AM
The cigar boys hand picked this staff. They were the reasons we brought back Peterson(to have access), Turner, Knox, Bump, and Friend. They had been on a Bump and Friend fest going back to when we hired Leach.

Don?t you think it?s a little funny that all of a sudden we brought back ?South Farm? practices? It?s laughable.

Also does not help that Keenum likes to act as an AD 3/4 of the time and is more Templeton that most know.

Our cigar boys hate hanging out with the ole miss cigar boys with nothing to brag about. That's why they only care about beating ole miss. And once ole miss embarrasses us on Thanksgiving night we're going to have another JoMo situation.

StarkVegasSteve
09-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Our cigar boys hate hanging out with the ole miss cigar boys with nothing to brag about. That's why they only care about beating ole miss. And once ole miss embarrasses us on Thanksgiving night we're going to have another JoMo situation.

Our cigar boys only hang out with our other cigar boys. They all want to talk about what they “heard” this week about practice and continue to bury their head in the sand. The funny thing is they continue to lap up everything Rosebowl, Faulk, and Hadad feed to them.

Todd4State
09-17-2023, 12:07 PM

And because of Leach's passing there is no buyout that our alumni have to worry about. I'm pretty sure the leash is short.

Todd4State
09-17-2023, 12:13 PM
I'm not sure of his buyout. I just know, the AD has an out. It's not his hire, the leash is shorter in that situation more often than not.

If we continue to look like Vanderbilt (maybe worse?). We may not have a choice?

Zac is not going to be blamed for anything this staff does nor should he. And that point is going to be hammered home by MSU media soon.

On top of it I think MSU is going to make a co concentrated effort to focus on football. Everything is going to be scrutinized especially the product on the field.

KOdawg1
09-17-2023, 12:22 PM
Arnett needs to drop the whole "poor coaching, poor planning, I didn't do a good job" crap.

StarkVegasSteve
09-17-2023, 12:27 PM
Arnett needs to drop the whole "poor coaching, poor planning, I didn't do a good job" crap.

Agreed because it sounds more and more like he is in over his head, which I believe he is.

Turfdawg67
09-17-2023, 12:30 PM

Who are we beating? Vandy is it on our schedule I don't believe. Unless we make a quarterback change, I don't see any Conference wins.

Todd4State
09-17-2023, 12:31 PM

At least JoeMo won the Egg Bowl.

Thanks Elijah Moore and DK Metcalf!

basedog
09-17-2023, 01:03 PM

Who do you see us beating in the Sec? As of today, I don't see any.

msstate7
09-17-2023, 01:08 PM
Who do you see us beating in the Sec? As of today, I don't see any.

I think we're getting a little carried away. We will get better at execution. We faced the best team on our schedule yesterday. I think we play better next week. Here's my ranking of most winnable games going forward...

1. Kentucky
2. OM
3. Auburn/SC

I say we at least get 2 of those 4

THE Bruce Dickinson
09-17-2023, 01:18 PM
I think we're getting a little carried away. We will get better at execution. We faced the best team on our schedule yesterday. I think we play better next week. Here's my ranking of most winnable games going forward...

1. Kentucky
2. OM
3. Auburn/SC

The only 2 games we even have a chance to win are UK at home and Auburn on the road. South Carolina is going to embarrass us next week.

Of the 2 possible winnable games, we won't win both. 5 wins is the ceiling now. We could go as low as 3.

msstate7
09-17-2023, 01:24 PM
The only 2 games we even have a chance to win are UK at home and Auburn on the road. South Carolina is going to embarrass us next week.

Of the 2 possible winnable games, we won't win both. 5 wins is the ceiling now. We could go as low as 3.

SC is a 4-pt favorite. Stop being so dramatic

MBDawg601
09-17-2023, 01:26 PM

Lsu was 9.5.

We had 79 total yards in a half of football.

DownwardDawg
09-17-2023, 01:31 PM

I'm not a betting man, but that looks like easy money to me. They will win by 10 or more.

THE Bruce Dickinson
09-17-2023, 01:34 PM

Im not being dramatic. You are failing to see how bad the product really is.

This isn't a knee jerk reaction. I have been saying it since the Arizona game. We are awful and have been playing at home. Imagine how good our offense is going to be playing at night in Columbia in front of 80k people.

Turfdawg67
09-17-2023, 01:35 PM

1. Kentucky
2. OM
3. Auburn/SC

I'm assuming you are basing most of that off of equivalent talent. And that may be, at least close, in fact. But every single one of those teams is far superior in coaching. We have a coach who doesn't have a clue except maybe run a pretty good bend but don't break defense when he's calling the plays.

AROB44
09-17-2023, 01:45 PM
We will get better at execution

Oh, I don't know......I think without question that we were executed yesterday.

basedog
09-17-2023, 02:03 PM
We will get better at execution

Oh, I don't know......I think without question that we were executed yesterday.

Rep given. LOL

basedog
09-17-2023, 02:04 PM

So u are gonna take MSU and the 4?

msstate7
09-17-2023, 02:12 PM
So u are gonna take MSU and the 4?

No, just saying impartial people aren't seeing ruins like most of us right now. We were horrible, but I think we'll improve

BlackSailsDawg
09-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Who are we beating? Vandy is it on our schedule I don't believe. Unless we make a quarterback change, I don't see any Conference wins.

I'm sorry... Does Rogers play on the OL? Is he making blocks while standing beside himself @ RB so he can have time to allow the play to develop? When did Rogers start playing both ways? I had no clue he could play BS, S, DL... Now I have seen him line up at WR, so I guess he is the one not running the routes right. Got it......

Lord McBuckethead
09-17-2023, 02:26 PM
We?ll Bump, should have been brought in anyway. Friend is maybe the worst OL coach we have had in 30 years.

William Tecumsah Sherman
09-17-2023, 02:35 PM
Thanks for your services , Will. You set records, but you?re and air raid QB. Put Wright in there and run the Relf offense.

confucius say
09-17-2023, 02:51 PM
Arnett is saying he essentially sucks in the press conferences? If so, he's about 1 more bad game from me taking him at his word

I'm getting the vibe that he is soft on players.
They say he is a players coach, which is not always bad but can be.
Stop babying them.

dawgday166
09-17-2023, 02:55 PM
I'm getting the vibe that he is soft on players.
They say he is a players coach, which is not always bad but can be.
Stop babying them.

I've read that in a couple of places now. And it certainly looks like we ain't as tough or quick as we were last year.

One of the main reasons IMO to make Zach HC was to keep the culture.