PDA

View Full Version : Was arnett too insecure to keep hollinshead?

msstate7
09-16-2023, 04:12 PM
WKU hanging with Ohio st

dawgday166
09-16-2023, 04:16 PM
I didn't understand Zach's offseason moves myself. Still don't. Mason was a pretty decent Oline coach IMO. Friend sucks. And while I'm ok with his change of philosophy on O, I really didn't understand the coaching hires that well. They certainly didn't WOW me.

TrapGame
09-16-2023, 04:20 PM
I wanted to give Zach the benefit of the doubt but seeing what's on the field now, it's really hard.

RockyDog
09-16-2023, 04:23 PM
Their QB definitely doesn’t have concrete feet and his arm looks like a howitzer compared to Noodle

BankerDog
09-16-2023, 04:32 PM
Hollingshead was considered a future star in coaching circles. He was also the QB coach for Rogers up until last year.

He was a recruiter too but also a great play caller. His offenses have looked really good which several of us could?ve told y?all but there was too many people hell bent on changing everything and having access to the program instead of seeing us advanced.

We Auburn?d ourselves without Auburn pocket books to get out of it.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-16-2023, 04:34 PM
As said in another thread, Arnett didnt hire his coaches.

The good ole boys did. We had no AD, our President is an idiot, so it was their time to run our program. They hired Peterson immediately because they knew him. They promoted Arnett because they knew him and he'd let them continue to make hires. Then they hired Bump because they knew him, Turner because they knew him and wanted those stud Mullen DLs back, Knox because they knew him, and Friend because he's a MS boy and they wanted to lock down the state for bragging rights vs OM boosters.

Arnett was just along for the chance to be an SEC HC.

If we were TN, Auburn, or A&M it would have been the gossip of CFB. But we're State so nobody noticed. But we 100% had boosters hand selecting our on field staff

Mjoelner34
09-16-2023, 04:35 PM
Tyson Helton is who I wanted to replace Leach. Their D is just totally overmatched by Ohio State's speed (kind of like we saw on the field today) but their O has moved the ball a LOT better than we did today. They were just moving it again and fumbled after a long 3rd reception.

TrapGame
09-16-2023, 04:40 PM

The good ole boys did. We had no AD, our President is an idiot, so it was their time to run our program. They hired Peterson immediately because they knew him. They promoted Arnett because they knew him and he'd let them continue to make hires. Then they hired Bump because they knew him, Turner because they knew him and wanted those stud Mullen DLs back, Knox because they knew him, and Friend because he's a MS boy and they wanted to lock down the state for bragging rights vs OM boosters.

If we were TN, Auburn, or A&M it would have been the gossip of CFB. But we're State so nobody noticed. But we 100% had boosters hand selecting our on field staff

If the wheels fall off, Selmon might be faced with a crucial decision in December. He didn't hire Arnett. This reflects on him as AD.

BlackSailsDawg
09-16-2023, 04:43 PM
WKU hanging with Ohio st

YES!

And we all knew it then.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-16-2023, 04:46 PM
If the wheels fall off, Selmon might be faced with a crucial decision in December. He didn't hire Arnett. This reflects on him as AD.

So the guy who "doesn't want to make a Baseball hire in his first year on the job" will make a football hire in his first year??

No, he'll ***** out. Arnett gets at least a year 2 even if we go 4-8. Honestly, he's such a standup dude I wouldn't be shocked if he resigned at that point. He doesn't seem like the type to want to get paid millions of dollars he's not earning and harm State in the process. Not saying that's likely though

Coursesuper
09-16-2023, 04:52 PM
Hollingshead was considered a future star in coaching circles. He was also the QB coach for Rogers up until last year.

He was a recruiter too but also a great play caller. His offenses have looked really good which several of us could?ve told y?all but there was too many people hell bent on changing everything and having access to the program instead of seeing us advanced.

We Auburn?d ourselves without Auburn pocket books to get out of it.

Well said sir.

Homedawg
09-16-2023, 06:25 PM

Do you believe EVERYTHING you read on a board. Good grief dude..... the fact you said they hired Peterson immediately, should let people know you are full of shit. Arnett hired bp. So wrong order. And it was ZA's hire. Trust me. I'm checking out. This board is full of people just spouting utter bs. Like this.

Leeshouldveflanked
09-16-2023, 06:58 PM
OSU beat WKU 63-10.

msstate7
09-16-2023, 07:01 PM
OSU beat WKU 63-10.

Hell of a performance by wku.

Haha

Todd4State
09-16-2023, 07:09 PM

I can't imagine that Arnett has a very long leash.

Cooterpoot
09-16-2023, 07:10 PM
Our OL recruiting was trash. Friend is using Masons guys. That's the problem there.
Hollinghead was completely unproven and the air raid we ran sucked anyway.

Quaoarsking
09-16-2023, 07:13 PM
Our OL recruiting was trash. Friend is using Masons guys. That's the problem there.
Hollinghead was completely unproven and the air raid we ran sucked anyway.

That air raid that "sucked" got us to a top 20 ranking and would have likely sustained it as long as Leach was here.

Without it, we're probably breaking our 13-year bowl streak.

StarkVegasSteve
09-16-2023, 07:24 PM
Hell of a performance by wku.

Haha

Really hung with them. We hung even closer with LSU today!!

RockyDog
09-16-2023, 07:26 PM
That air raid that "sucked" got us to a top 20 ranking and would have likely sustained it as long as Leach was here.

Without it, we're probably breaking our 13-year bowl streak.

The Errr Raid extended the bowl streak thanks to Covid. It stunk year 1, had a few highs, more lows and a lot of frustration over its 3 years. You guys making it out to be that it was some unstoppable offense are laughable.

msstate7
09-16-2023, 07:37 PM
Really hung with them. We hung even closer with LSU today!!

To be fair, when they made it 14-10, they were in the game more than we ever were

dawgday166
09-16-2023, 07:39 PM
The Errr Raid extended the bowl streak thanks to Covid. It stunk year 1, had a few highs, more lows and a lot of frustration over its 3 years. You guys making it out to be that it was some unstoppable offense are laughable.

Not saying it was or is unstoppable but I love how folks conveniently forget that not only was most of our entire offense freshmen and sophs with no spring installs, but also we were missing players due to COVID at times while playing an all-SEC 10 game schedule which included Bama and UGA.

Now I know most freshmen and sophs would make a 1st year offense flourish normally so yea ... the Air Raid sucked. That's the reason we were so bad in '20.

msstate7
09-16-2023, 07:44 PM
Not saying it was or is unstoppable but I love how folks conveniently forget that not only was most of our entire offense freshmen and sophs with no spring installs, but also we were missing players due to COVID at times while playing an all-SEC 10 game schedule which included Bama and UGA.

Now I know most freshmen and sophs would make a 1st year offense flourish normally so yea ... the Air Raid sucked. That's the reason we were so bad in '20.

The highest we finished in sec under leach was 7th in total offense. That was 2021. Moorhead finished 7th in 2019, and he was fired.

dawgday166
09-16-2023, 07:53 PM
The highest we finished in sec under leach was 7th in total offense. That was 2021. Moorhead finished 7th in 2019, and he was fired.

Against conference only in 2021 we were 4th. Only Mullen in '14 and '15 has beaten that.
And that's with s true soph QB and Sophs in backfield and Oline too.

ETA: Look ... I'm past the Air Raid. I said last year part of the problem was Will. We had downfield open receivers many times but he always dumped it short. Now we're seeing that to be the case.

msstate7
09-16-2023, 07:56 PM
Against conference only in 2021 we were 4th. Only Mullen in '14 and '15 has beaten that.
And that's with s true soph QB and Sophs in backfield and Oline too.

ETA: Look ... I'm past the Air Raid. I said last year part of the problem was Will. We had downfield open receivers many times but he always dumped it short. Now we're seeing that to be the case.
Damn, we must have really been a handful in 2022 with those as juniors

dawgday166
09-16-2023, 07:57 PM
Damn, we must have really been a handful in 2022 with those as juniors

Read my ETA. Will don't stay in the pocket long enough to go thru his progressions. Regardless of how well he's protected.

msstate7
09-16-2023, 08:00 PM
I don't think we should bench will, but I do think we should get more snaps for wright. I wanna see us give series to wright also

dawgday166
09-16-2023, 08:02 PM
I agree on Wright. If he's a tougher QB, then I wanna go with a tougher QB. Will got real nervous somewhere between end of season '21 and early last year. Must've gotten his bell rung good or something ... I dunno.

Lord McBuckethead
09-16-2023, 08:09 PM
If we go 4-8, it is not going to be better in year 2 with our upper class men leaving the team.

lastmajordog
09-16-2023, 08:09 PM
Well we could have moved Brad Peterson to off cord, he would have been great. Had nothing to do with being a Ms boy, it had to do with being a innovative, think out of the box play caller and offensive mind.

Lord McBuckethead
09-16-2023, 08:10 PM
I don't think we should bench will, but I do think we should get more snaps for wright. I wanna see us give series to wright also

What have you seen from Will that leads you to believe he can be the player we need to win games? Outside of the comeback against Auburn, he hasn?t done shit, in now 4 years.

TrapGame
09-16-2023, 08:20 PM

Wright needs a full quarter running the offense.

If we go 4-8, it is not going to be better in year 2 with our upper class men leaving the team.

If we go 4-8 Selmon has to fire Arnett. That's Croom territory and we should never, ever entertain that level of suck.

BuckyIsAB****
09-16-2023, 08:43 PM

It was more like one person. And you listed his name in this post

Quaoarsking
09-16-2023, 08:46 PM

It wasn't "unstoppable" but it was better than this shit, and it was way more fun to watch too. I loved every second of the Leach Era. Those 3 years are in my top 5 favorite seasons all time (with 99 and 14, both of which ended with a whimper)

lastmajordog
09-16-2023, 08:55 PM
del