PDA

View Full Version : Arnett presser

Leroy Jenkins
09-11-2023, 12:13 PM
He admitted that he made the wrong call by trying to burn clock with a 14 point lead vice trying to break the game open. He said he "took the wind out of our sails".

Lord McBuckethead
09-11-2023, 01:36 PM
Note to Arnett, never take your foot off the gas or off their throat unless the game is truly out of reach.

BlackSailsDawg
09-11-2023, 01:36 PM
I look forward to watch the presser later today when I am home. Did he say anything else.

Commercecomet24
09-11-2023, 01:42 PM
Note to Arnett, never take your foot off the gas or off their throat unless the game is truly out of reach.

Amen to that! CZA is still a young coach and there will be some growing pains but as long as he will self evaluate and not act like he invented football(which i don't think he will ever do), then he'll learn and grow and we'll be better for it.

Maverick91
09-11-2023, 02:44 PM
Arnett just referenced that we are moving a guy from tackle to tightend?

Leroy Jenkins
09-11-2023, 02:48 PM
Amen to that! CZA is still a young coach and there will be some growing pains but as long as he will self evaluate and not act like he invented football(which i don't think he will ever do), then he'll learn and grow and we'll be better for it.

He has no problem standing up on national TV and saying "I messed that up" (among other things*). It is easy for an established coach to admit fault because they already have a reputation. For a new guy, its harder to do.

Leroy Jenkins
09-11-2023, 02:50 PM
Arnett just referenced that we are moving a guy from tackle to tightend?

Ellis. He's been in both games at TE and has been since spring. He will be an OT next year, so don't expect us to throw him the ball*

Commercecomet24
09-11-2023, 03:10 PM
He has no problem standing up on national TV and saying "I messed that up" (among other things*). It is easy for an established coach to admit fault because they already have a reputation. For a new guy, its harder to do.

100%

Maverick91
09-11-2023, 04:35 PM
Ellis. He's been in both games at TE and has been since spring. He will be an OT next year, so don't expect us to throw him the ball*

Roger that. I thought this was something new. Good on that kid for making the change for the team.

MetEdDawg
09-11-2023, 05:47 PM
Arnett admitting that is one step in the right direction. He found out first hand what happens sometimes when you "can't wait to be the boss" and something you would change blows up in your face.

Happens to all of us in those positions. He probably thought for years that it would be damn nice to give the defense a nice blow after a grueling drive. He watched it work pretty piss poor. He won't make that mistake again.

BuckyIsAB****
09-11-2023, 08:44 PM
I personally dont think he did that and that Barbay just had an entire quarter of trying not to lose. I will say this, they said a lot of things in the off-season to get some kids to hang around that they better start backing up. I am not calling for anyone?s head because this job is hard and I like Arnett. But the facts are there, 2 games in and this is not what they said we were gonna do

Maverick91
09-11-2023, 09:41 PM
I personally dont think he did that and that Barbay just had an entire quarter of trying not to lose. I will say this, they said a lot of things in the off-season to get some kids to hang around that they better start backing up. I am not calling for anyone?s head because this job is hard and I like Arnett. But the facts are there, 2 games in and this is not what they said we were gonna do

This is true and has worried me.

Todd4State
09-12-2023, 12:57 AM

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up firing Barbay at the end of the year if things don't change and we just throw a ton of NIL money at Will to try to get him to come back and basically start over again in 2024.

BuckyIsAB****
09-12-2023, 06:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up firing Barbay at the end of the year if things don't change and we just throw a ton of NIL money at Will to try to get him to come back and basically start over again in 2024.

Dont hold your breath. Will has turned down some major money to stay here

PGHBulldogBG
09-12-2023, 06:22 AM
I?m still confused what Arnett saw in Barbay. App State has one of the top most raw talents in the Sun Belt and they had one of their worst years last year going 6-6. I?m not a fan of hiring coaches from small conferences that have a talent advantage over other teams they are playing. Florida is getting a taste of that now with Napier. I want to hire coaches that have mid or lower level talent compared to the other teams in the conference and then step up and win with it

Dawgology
09-12-2023, 09:21 AM
We really should have gone after Joe Craddock.

Really Clark?
09-12-2023, 09:47 AM
We really should have gone after Joe Craddock.

His time as OC at Arkansas was pretty abysmal. 14th and 13th in scoring. Chad Morris was a horrible HC then too though.

BlackSailsDawg
09-12-2023, 10:27 AM

Yeah! It wasn't just a half that he refused to be balanced. Some are acting like it was for a series. No. It was the entire game. And per completion we averaged 12.5 yards.... and only had 15 attempts in regulation.

KB21
09-12-2023, 10:41 AM
Arnett admitting that is one step in the right direction. He found out first hand what happens sometimes when you "can't wait to be the boss" and something you would change blows up in your face.

Happens to all of us in those positions. He probably thought for years that it would be damn nice to give the defense a nice blow after a grueling drive. He watched it work pretty piss poor. He won't make that mistake again.

The problem is, that was his first instinct. It basically shows that he pays no attention to analytics.

Maverick91
09-12-2023, 11:59 AM
The problem is, that was his first instinct. It basically shows that he pays no attention to analytics.

Who gives a turd about analytics, Lame Kitten? I feel like no one spoke of analytics until Lane got to Pissville U.

I think this is less about analytics and more about how he felt the game and made a freshman head coaching mistake.

KB21
09-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Who gives a turd about analytics, Lame Kitten? I feel like no one spoke of analytics until Lane got to Pissville U.

I think this is less about analytics and more about how he felt the game and made a freshman head coaching mistake.

All coaches should be very into analytics. Analytics and young, hyper intelligent coaches who embrace them is the reason the NFL has such a great product right now. All the old school fogies are being phased out with the new school mindset "nerd" coaches. It's a beautiful transition. College football is in severe need of a similar transition.

Maverick91
09-12-2023, 01:14 PM
All coaches should be very into analytics. Analytics and young, hyper intelligent coaches who embrace them is the reason the NFL has such a great product right now. All the old school fogies are being phased out with the new school mindset "nerd" coaches. It's a beautiful transition. College football is in severe need of a similar transition.

Well, you and I are going to disagree there. I think football is slightly regressing with the new mindset of football.

KB21
09-12-2023, 01:24 PM
Well, you and I are going to disagree there. I think football is slightly regressing with the new mindset of football.

Please don't tell me you are anti spin rate, anti velocity, and pro bunting in baseball as well.

Really Clark?
09-12-2023, 01:42 PM
Please don't tell me you are anti spin rate, anti velocity, and pro bunting in baseball as well.

Nobody is anti-spin rate and velocity, you've never seen anyone make that statement on here. Hell even Bill James is pro bunting in very limited situations. Less pro sacrifice bunting but he even broke his data down of when it was situationally, batter and defensive alignment advantageous to consider it a favorable strategy. Bunting for base hit he likes more if the batter can consistently bunt into specific zones. Read his later stuff and his online content.

Maverick91
09-12-2023, 02:10 PM

I’m going to really throw you for a loop. I don’t watch baseball, I respect it and if I am at a game I can get into it. I only care about the World Series.

Back to football - this new game is softer than the old game. It’s enjoyable to watch it’s just not what I am used to. It will come back around eventually.

KB21
09-12-2023, 02:19 PM
I’m going to really throw you for a loop. I don’t watch baseball, I respect it and if I am at a game I can get into it. I only care about the World Series.

Back to football - this new game is softer than the old game. It’s enjoyable to watch it’s just not what I am used to. It will come back around eventually.

The new game is so much better from a schematic standpoint and more enjoyable to watch. 20 years ago, NFL football was dull with the exception of the teams that had elite QBs. Now, you have coaches like Kyle Shanahan doing innovative stuff with the likes of Jimmy Garropolo and Brock Purdy at QB. Mike McDaniel in Miami is going to set league on its ear with that explosive offense. I'm very interested in seeing what Matt LaFleur does with Jordan Love this year. Sean McVay is one of my favorite coaches in the NFL. I'm even excited to see some of the defensive coaches that will branch off the Shanahan tree very soon. Guys like Ejiro Evero in Carolina now and while he's not from the Shanahan tree, Sean Desai is a young defensive coach that I'm very high on. Yale graduate. Super intelligent. Highly analytical.

The days of the knuckle dragging mouth breathers in the NFL are over.

Maverick91
09-12-2023, 02:41 PM
The new game is so much better from a schematic standpoint and more enjoyable to watch. 20 years ago, NFL football was dull with the exception of the teams that had elite QBs. Now, you have coaches like Kyle Shanahan doing innovative stuff with the likes of Jimmy Garropolo and Brock Purdy at QB. Mike McDaniel in Miami is going to set league on its ear with that explosive offense. I'm very interested in seeing what Matt LaFleur does with Jordan Love this year. Sean McVay is one of my favorite coaches in the NFL. I'm even excited to see some of the defensive coaches that will branch off the Shanahan tree very soon. Guys like Ejiro Evero in Carolina now and while he's not from the Shanahan tree, Sean Desai is a young defensive coach that I'm very high on. Yale graduate. Super intelligent. Highly analytical.

The days of the knuckle dragging mouth breathers in the NFL are over.

I still dont understand why you are taking about NFL. The NFL to college game has always and prayerfully will always be different.

KB21
09-12-2023, 02:48 PM
I still dont understand why you are taking about NFL. The NFL to college game has always and prayerfully will always be different.

Because football is football. Sound decision making and scheming based on analytics works at all levels. Passing the football is better than running the football at all levels. Most of the analytics that you can get a hold of and study is from the NFL. Hopefully soon, we will see more analytics on the college game.

Here's a good link on some data about pass vs run from the college level though: https://staturdays.com/2019/09/23/should-you-ever-run-the-ball/

Maverick91
09-12-2023, 03:13 PM
Because football is football. Sound decision making and scheming based on analytics works at all levels. Passing the football is better than running the football at all levels. Most of the analytics that you can get a hold of and study is from the NFL. Hopefully soon, we will see more analytics on the college game.

Here's a good link on some data about pass vs run from the college level though: https://staturdays.com/2019/09/23/should-you-ever-run-the-ball/

Some of the beauty of college ball is the shooting from the hips. NFL gets flack for being so scripted that they are already decided games before the game plays.

I NEVER want college ball to get to that point. Again there is a reason why NFL and college is so different. I never want that water to be blurred.

bulldawg28
09-12-2023, 03:56 PM
Dont hold your breath. Will has turned down some major money to stay here

Bye Will

KB21
09-12-2023, 04:10 PM
Some of the beauty of college ball is the shooting from the hips. NFL gets flack for being so scripted that they are already decided games before the game plays.

I NEVER want college ball to get to that point. Again there is a reason why NFL and college is so different. I never want that water to be blurred.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNFL/status/1701281279746969667

MrCoachKlein
09-12-2023, 05:36 PM

Really makes you wonder why no one just throws 95% of the time. Its so easy anyone should be able to coach at a high level.

I do believe your understanding of analytics is only skin deep. For one your throwing stats and EPA are derived from teams running at least 45% and keeping the d off balance. You change the entire game (including your precious analytics) when they don't have to respect the run.

MetEdDawg
09-12-2023, 06:26 PM

This right here. Why can't people just make mistakes and learn from them? Why do others have to read into it some deep psychological aversion to analytics that will cripple Arnett over the rest of his career 2 games into his coaching tenure?

If you work over people, you are going to screw up. Period. I know people don't like to hear that, but every coach screws up sometimes. The question is whether or not they learn from it. And we have some folks on here dead set on Arnett and Barbay sucking after 2 games.

I just don't understand that type of mentality. It simply makes no sense.

Todd4State
09-12-2023, 07:21 PM
Really makes you wonder why no one just throws 95% of the time. Its so easy anyone should be able to coach at a high level.

I do believe your understanding of analytics is only skin deep. For one your throwing stats and EPA are derived from teams running at least 45% and keeping the d off balance. You change the entire game (including your precious analytics) when they don't have to respect the run.
The run game has value in instances. Like when you are trying to run out the clock to win a game or inside the 6 yard line.

Todd4State
09-12-2023, 07:26 PM
MSU football could use an analytics department. Analytics in football is "new" but with context it could help our game planning and play calling a lot.

Like Arnett tells the OC we want to run some clock. Instead of running it three straight times we might run the ball on first down and then go with a RPO on second down giving us a run option in a favorable box or an easy throw, or just a quick pass like a slant or a screen. Then third down use a constraint play to convert based on down and distance if we get that far.

KB21
09-12-2023, 07:41 PM
The run game has value in instances. Like when you are trying to run out the clock to win a game or inside the 6 yard line.

It?s very few instances though.

Maverick91
09-12-2023, 08:28 PM
https://x.com/TheAthleticNFL/status/1701281279746969667?s=20

Twitter link didn't work for some reason.

Again… you and I will not see eye to eye on this. Also, just because they are more pass happy doesn’t mean “analytics” are the cause. That was the start of our conversation. I like the spread I also like the run. I just think if you get into analytics to much you can have analysis paralysis set in.

Maverick91
09-12-2023, 08:32 PM
This right here. Why can't people just make mistakes and learn from them? Why do others have to read into it some deep psychological aversion to analytics that will cripple Arnett over the rest of his career 2 games into his coaching tenure?

If you work over people, you are going to screw up. Period. I know people don't like to hear that, but every coach screws up sometimes. The question is whether or not they learn from it. And we have some folks on here dead set on Arnett and Barbay sucking after 2 games.

Facts! I love that the coaches are hearing us. I hope they take that as a good thing, as in dang this fan base is passionate not dang I gotta listen to the fan base and over analyze the situation. Arnett has already said everything I need him to say. Recognized the mistake and will from it. Sweet I look forward to seeing the change.

Commercecomet24
09-13-2023, 11:19 AM

Great post! I've been very successful in my field but I've also blown a deal or two. It happens, no one is 100%. The thing you have to do is self evaluate and get better not let one defeat become two.

Leroy Jenkins
09-13-2023, 05:44 PM

100%. The fun part of college football is putting together the best plan you possibly can that can be learned in the 20 hour a week mandate, and the imperfection that comes along with that. NFL players spend nearly 20 hours preparing in 2 days not 6.

You can't get to NFL precision in 20 hours.

BulldogBear
09-13-2023, 10:17 PM
Comparing NFL and College with any criterion you can imagine or otherwise come up with doesn't tell you much about either game. It's comparing a chicken bacon ranch with white sauce to say normal sausage and pepperoni pizza. Clearly they are both pizzas. Clearly they have some similar characteristics and use some of the same ingredients. They probably even cook in the same length of time. But they are very different experiences.

Todd4State
09-14-2023, 01:22 AM
Again… you and I will not see eye to eye on this. Also, just because they are more pass happy doesn’t mean “analytics” are the cause. That was the start of our conversation. I like the spread I also like the run. I just think if you get into analytics to much you can have analysis paralysis set in.

You have to have a staff that can apply analytics correctly to benefit from it. But if done properly it could be very useful for a team.

Todd4State
09-14-2023, 01:27 AM
Comparing NFL and College with any criterion you can imagine or otherwise come up with doesn't tell you much about either game. It's comparing a chicken bacon ranch with white sauce to say normal sausage and pepperoni pizza. Clearly they are both pizzas. Clearly they have some similar characteristics and use some of the same ingredients. They probably even cook in the same length of time. But they are very different experiences.

What needs to happen is analytics needs to be more developed for college. It's starting to happen. See PFF.

There are likely some differences but I would also imagine that there are a lot more similarities in the results.

KB21
09-14-2023, 08:29 AM
What needs to happen is analytics needs to be more developed for college. It's starting to happen. See PFF.

There are likely some differences but I would also imagine that there are a lot more similarities in the results.

We need to add an analytics department to the football staff. Hire some people that can sit down with the coaches and show them why they should be throwing the ball more on first and second down. I wonder if Kevin Barbay even knows what EPA is?

Maverick91
09-14-2023, 09:13 AM
We need to add an analytics department to the football staff. Hire some people that can sit down with the coaches and show them why they should be throwing the ball more on first and second down. I wonder if Kevin Barbay even knows what EPA is?

No… what we need to do first is throw the appropriate amount of money at growth of the staff to have the amount of off the field coaches that the big programs have. I will always chose the coach dissecting game film over analytics.

Their is a reason why Saban is Saban he has the likes of Charlie Strong stuck in a room dissecting offensive game film all freaking week.

KB21
09-14-2023, 09:51 AM
No… what we need to do first is throw the appropriate amount of money at growth of the staff to have the amount of off the field coaches that the big programs have. I will always chose the coach dissecting game film over analytics.

Their is a reason why Saban is Saban he has the likes of Charlie Strong stuck in a room dissecting offensive game film all freaking week.

The problem with that is that you will end up hiring coaches who have been fired, and the likely reason they have been fired is because they are too conventional. Analytics breaks conventional wisdom. There are so many things that have been considered conventional wisdom in football that have been proven wrong by analytics, such as the idea that you have to establish the running game. When we have a staff that abandons conventional thinking and embraces the use of data, that's when we will see a lot more innovation with what we do on the field.

Maverick91
09-14-2023, 10:57 AM
The problem with that is that you will end up hiring coaches who have been fired, and the likely reason they have been fired is because they are too conventional. Analytics breaks conventional wisdom. There are so many things that have been considered conventional wisdom in football that have been proven wrong by analytics, such as the idea that you have to establish the running game. When we have a staff that abandons conventional thinking and embraces the use of data, that's when we will see a lot more innovation with what we do on the field.

So wait you are going to be the guy that pushes the button that creates nuclear Armageddon and ushers in the control of cyberdyne and skynet. Because the “analytics” said it wouldn’t happen and dammed be conventional wisdom that says “hold up let’s think about this.”

Analytics didnt drive us away from the idea of “have to establish the run” the game changing just in general to get a competitive edge did that. When you have a bunch of beef up front and LBs that weigh 260 and run a 5 flat 40. It’s pretty smart to try and spread them out and try to cover quick fast receivers. That’s conventional wisdom not analytics.

KB21
09-14-2023, 11:17 AM
So wait you are going to be the guy that pushes the button that creates nuclear Armageddon and ushers in the control of cyberdyne and skynet. Because the “analytics” said it wouldn’t happen and dammed be conventional wisdom that says “hold up let’s think about this.”

Analytics didnt drive us away from the idea of “have to establish the run” the game changing just in general to get a competitive edge did that. When you have a bunch of beef up front and LBs that weigh 260 and run a 5 flat 40. It’s pretty smart to try and spread them out and try to cover quick fast receivers. That’s conventional wisdom not analytics.

Yet, you still have coaches who say "Everything starts with the running game" or "We have to establish the run." Even Arnett's "Run the ball to give the defense a rest" is straight out of conventional thinking when analytics has proven that idea incorrect.

Dawgology
09-14-2023, 11:19 AM
I’m going to put this out there and make a historical statement. The first program (NFL or college) that learns to feed AI their opponents coaches historical plays and game flow and let’s AI generate and call plays will probably win a NC before the other programs catch up to it.

Commercecomet24
09-14-2023, 11:27 AM
I?m going to put this out there and make a historical statement. The first program (NFL or college) that learns to feed AI their opponents coaches historical plays and game flow and let?s AI generate and call plays will probably win a NC before the other programs catch up to it.

So you're saying the Mcdonalds kiosks and walmart self checkout are coming to football, lol? Would we even need coaches at that point? Teams would definitely save a lot of money without having to pay a coaching staff, just one computer guy to feed data and let the AI call the plays and call em in to the qb or defensive play caller.

Honestly I know I'm old and I do love digging into stats but I enjoy the human element in sports even more and when the day comes that it's completely gone(and i have no doubt you're right about your statement), I'm done with sports. Might as well just play video games at that point.

KB21
09-14-2023, 11:37 AM
I’m going to put this out there and make a historical statement. The first program (NFL or college) that learns to feed AI their opponents coaches historical plays and game flow and let’s AI generate and call plays will probably win a NC before the other programs catch up to it.

I'm here for the nerd revolution in football. College football is in dire need of some hyper intelligent, analytically minded coaches who are young and unconventional.

KB21
09-14-2023, 11:39 AM
Baseball is so much better now that we have a better understanding of spin, spin axis, velocity, vertical approach angle, induced vertical and horizontal movement when it comes to pitching and maximizing exit velocities and swing angles with hitting.

EDIT: Also, thanks to analytics, the sacrifice bunt has almost been completely eliminated in baseball. It's always been a stupid play.

Commercecomet24
09-14-2023, 11:45 AM
Baseball is so much better now that we have a better understanding of spin, spin axis, velocity, vertical approach angle, induced vertical and horizontal movement when it comes to pitching and maximizing exit velocities and swing angles with hitting.

Definitely helps the players maximize potential but there's nothing like watching a bunch of 8 year olds play who have no idea about analytics and are just having a blast playing the game. My youngest son works at a baseball facility called The Lab and he's the pitching director and they have all the latest gadgets and widgets and he's into all the high tech stuff but I sure enjoyed just taking my kids to the baseball field and just teaching them fundamentals and how to play the game the right way without all that. There's definitely a place for analytics but I kinda miss the pure joy of watching a baseball game without velos and spin rate and exit velocities and launch angles. I rewatch a lot of old world series games and just enjoy the magic of the game. Yeah I'm a dinosaur and you kids better stay off my lawn, lol.

Maverick91
09-14-2023, 11:56 AM
I'm here for the nerd revolution in football. College football is in dire need of some hyper intelligent, analytically minded coaches who are young and unconventional.

Going to get to the point where it’s analysis paralysis like chess where you have two masters playing and they see ten moves ahead and know they are going to lose so they resign the win. We are going to have coaches coming out of halftime forfeiting the win saying “you know we ran all the analytics and pay calls with every variation of personal and play call and the computer says we cannot win. So we will forfeit.” And we as fans will be such robots that we are like, “yeh yeah that makes sense.”

Dawgology
09-14-2023, 01:18 PM
There will always be a human element because humans play the game and you just never know but AI will definitely be able to analyze trends and give coaches great gameplans

PCHSDawg
09-14-2023, 01:27 PM
When AI can tell me which way a football will bounce is when I will listen to it on play calling. I think it could be useful for game planning.