PDA

View Full Version : Everyone that said some of us were overreacting to the scheme change.....

HancockCountyDog
09-10-2023, 04:23 PM
Need to step away from the keyboard for a week or so.

I know the joke was that we were claiming that we were switching to the triple option and that we were being silly. Well last night wasn't the triple option, but holy hell it was bad. The one play that stands out is down near the goal line we ran a read option with Will and the LB just blitzed the HB and tackled him for a loss on 3rd and I think 4. The fact that we have Will Rogers running a read option is the opposite of tailoring your offense to your talent.

All offensive coordinators say they are going to tailor their offense to what they have, but it is a lot harder to actually scrap what you have been doing for years that landed you a SEC gig in the first place.

Let me be clear, this is not Will Rogers fault, the same way it wasn't Omarr Conner's fault when Croom put him under center. Will become a very average QB if you put him in an offense where he needs to be some type of running threat and just hands off the ball or needs to stand in the pocket for 4-5 seconds. If we are going to run this offense, and it sure seems like we are, then we are wasting Will and Wright. There is no such thing as being a little bit pregnant. Well same goes for the offense. You can't be a little bit ground and pound and want your QB to be mobile and simply play a guy that is a classic air raid QB. It is a disservice to your team and it sucks for the QB.

Our TD drives were 50, 6, and 30 yards long. Once again, our defense is setting our offense up for success. We have a tough game this week and then a pretty season defining game against a pretty average South Carolina team. We need to figure out what we are going to do on offense, because what we have been doing is not going to work.

Joebob
09-10-2023, 06:18 PM
Certainly can't disagree with this.

TrapGame
09-10-2023, 06:43 PM
I believe the most apt comparison would be Tyler Russell in Dan's offense. Dan's offense was made for guys like Tebow, Relf and Dak. Tyler Russell looked completely out of place in that offense. He had the running ability of a newborn baby giraffe. I am not going to be shocked at all if Mike Wright becomes the starter after Saturday, especially if he comes in, lights up LSU's defense and makes this a respectable game.

HoopsDawg
09-10-2023, 06:43 PM
I'm just hoping this was a one off. Barbay can scheme up some nice plays. He just called a really bad game. Also, the Oline played poorly.

RockyDog
09-10-2023, 06:59 PM
But not everything has to come down to mobile qb. There are plenty of guys in SeC history that had prolific careers and couldn’t move a lick.

App State’s qb last year wasn’t a big runner and threw for nearly 3k yards.

Why can’t Will run that playbook? I think that is what is concerning. We have an SEC history book leading Qb that the OC doesn’t trust to run his offense. That is a bad, bad sign of things to come this season if that is actually the case.

Like others have said, we are getting nothing from TEs but we totally did not use our WR to do anything downfield yesterday either. We were preached to all off season about stretching the field and explosive plays. You can’t do that very well in the SEC if you either can’t OR refuse to pass the ball

starkvegasdawg
09-10-2023, 07:16 PM
I am not going to be shocked at all if Mike Wright becomes the starter after Saturday, especially if he comes in, lights up LSU's defense and makes this a respectable game.

Honest question...have you seen anything that would lead you to believe they will let Wright come in and do anything other than hand the ball off and maybe run once or twice? We've played two games against crap competition and we've yet to see him throw a pass or be in for two plays in a row. Barring Will getting planted like a row of corn against LSU, do you really think Wright will be put into the game to do anything meaningful?

Lord McBuckethead
09-10-2023, 07:32 PM
And what good is Wright when Parson is probably better at all aspects of the game just lacking experience.

TrapGame
09-10-2023, 07:42 PM
Honest question...have you seen anything that would lead you to believe they will let Wright come in and do anything other than hand the ball off and maybe run once or twice? We've played two games against crap competition and we've yet to see him throw a pass or be in for two plays in a row. Barring Will getting planted like a row of corn against LSU, do you really think Wright will be put into the game to do anything meaningful?

One of two things is going on:

#1: Wright is just a change up QB to give defenses a different look. He's got some deer legs but can barely hit the broadside of a barn.

#2: The coaches are saving Wright for LSU, which jives with rumors about Wright making huge strides in the offense since Spring.

I'm hoping it's #2 and we can all go "Barbay, you glorious bastard.", but I'm bracing myself for #1.

TrapGame
09-10-2023, 07:43 PM
And what good is Wright when Parson is probably better at all aspects of the game just lacking experience.

C'mon, Bucket. If that were true Wright would be wearing the vest calling signals and Parson would be handing off to Woody.

TrapGame
09-10-2023, 07:49 PM
I'm just hoping this was a one off. Barbay can scheme up some nice plays. He just called a really bad game. Also, the Oline played poorly.

This is the way I'm leaning but LSU is going to tell us a lot. If we can hang with LSU and make it a game I'm going to feel better about the offense.

FISHDAWG
09-10-2023, 07:56 PM
Careful guys or some of our eternal optimists will come on here and tell you that you don't have lives other than bitching on a message board **

msstate7
09-10-2023, 08:06 PM
Lord knows I love jumping to conclusions using small samples, but it probably is worth noting that we had a drastic offensive scheme change. Whether this offense will be successful here isn't gonna be decided after 8 quarters

DownwardDawg
09-10-2023, 08:21 PM
One of two things is going on:

#1: Wright is just a change up QB to give defenses a different look. He's got some deer legs but can barely hit the broadside of a barn.

#2: The coaches are saving Wright for LSU, which jives with rumors about Wright making huge strides in the offense since Spring.

I'm hoping it's #2 and we can all go "Barbay, you glorious bastard.", but I'm bracing myself for #1.

In true State fan fashion, brace for #1 brother!!! Lol

TrapGame
09-10-2023, 08:45 PM
Lord knows I love jumping to conclusions using small samples, but it probably is worth noting that we had a drastic offensive scheme change. Whether this offense will be successful here isn't gonna be decided after 8 quarters

Who are you and what have you done with 7?!!***

Lord McBuckethead
09-10-2023, 08:49 PM
In true State fan fashion, brace for #1 brother!!! Lol

I am convinced no one keeps their offense vanilla.

Dawgface
09-10-2023, 09:36 PM
Was KB banned? I figured he would be here with 'I told you so'.

War Machine Dawg
09-10-2023, 09:57 PM

Yep. We're limited by our deficiencies at QB. I see the potential of this offense, though. Anyone calling for Barbay's head now needs go sit in the corner and calm down. I hope we're planning on hitting the portal hard for a QB the next time it opens. We need a dual threat guy desperately. That's the only way I see this offense really working, unless your pocket QB has a laser, rocket arm to stretch the field vertically.

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 10:04 PM
Need to step away from the keyboard for a week or so.

I know the joke was that we were claiming that we were switching to the triple option and that we were being silly. Well last night wasn't the triple option, but holy hell it was bad. The one play that stands out is down near the goal line we ran a read option with Will and the LB just blitzed the HB and tackled him for a loss on 3rd and I think 4. The fact that we have Will Rogers running a read option is the opposite of tailoring your offense to your talent.

All offensive coordinators say they are going to tailor their offense to what they have, but it is a lot harder to actually scrap what you have been doing for years that landed you a SEC gig in the first place.

Let me be clear, this is not Will Rogers fault, the same way it wasn't Omarr Conner's fault when Croom put him under center. Will become a very average QB if you put him in an offense where he needs to be some type of running threat and just hands off the ball or needs to stand in the pocket for 4-5 seconds. If we are going to run this offense, and it sure seems like we are, then we are wasting Will and Wright. There is no such thing as being a little bit pregnant. Well same goes for the offense. You can't be a little bit ground and pound and want your QB to be mobile and simply play a guy that is a classic air raid QB. It is a disservice to your team and it sucks for the QB.

Our TD drives were 50, 6, and 30 yards long. Once again, our defense is setting our offense up for success. We have a tough game this week and then a pretty season defining game against a pretty average South Carolina team. We need to figure out what we are going to do on offense, because what we have been doing is not going to work.

Great post! I was one of those.

I am convinced no one keeps their offense vanilla.

I agree. There is zero logical reason to be vanilla especially when you have a new scheme in place. There's a difference between "hiding" a trick play and not running your base offense. And if we do catch LSU with their pants down how long is that really going to last before they adjust? A quarter maybe? So was it worth it?

Was KB banned? I figured he would be here with 'I told you so'.
No one that likes the Air Raid is happy to see MSU fail. Think of it more like I see the train that is about to hit you and I don't want to see it hurt you.

There are a LOT of red flags after two weeks. If we scored 56-63 on offense and had been clean and done what we wanted against SELU I could totally chalk up last night to a "bad day". But maybe...

PMDawg
09-11-2023, 07:55 AM
Man, I'm typically the worst offender of overreacting when it comes to MSU sports, but I can't hold a candle to this board lately. Saturday sucked, no doubt. But we still won. Are we going to lose this week? Likely. But that's typical for LSU as far back as most any of us can remember, so I can't wait to see everyone act like it's something brand new. Anyone who thought the first year after Mike Leach wasn't going to be rough (no matter what direction we went) was fooling themselves anyway. I'm very impatient, so maybe I can't pull it off, but I'm going to try to at least give it the better part of one freaking season before I draw a final conclusion. The trend looks bad, but we have a young HC that appears to be micromanaging at this point. Let's see if we learn anything as a staff and start moving in a better direction.

And the hilarity of this post by Todd cannot be overstated: "Think of it more like I see the train that is about to hit you and I don't want to see it hurt you." Thanks for the laugh this morning Todd! I really needed it.

Dawgface
09-11-2023, 08:17 AM
No one that likes the Air Raid is happy to see MSU fail. Think of it more like I see the train that is about to hit you and I don't want to see it hurt you.

KB? Ha. I don't believe that. Plus we had a couple that were big on running the spread that hated to see the AR work when it did.

HancockCountyDog
09-11-2023, 10:42 AM

God I love unbridled optimism. Kid hasn't played a single snap and is better than a QB that beat Florida with Vandy last year.

HancockCountyDog
09-11-2023, 10:53 AM
KB? Ha. I don't believe that. Plus we had a couple that were big on running the spread that hated to see the AR work when it did.

I didnt love the air raid, but I thought if we incorporated run concepts that other Leach proteges had, that our offense could really take off.

Instead of doing that, we have literally switched offenses. He have passed the ball 46 times and rushed it 78 times. That is roughly 63/37 run pass split. Throw in the fact that 10 of those passes were to RB's, we have only thrown the ball 36 times to WR/TE in two games against inferior opponents. I'm not even counting the WR screens or quick "passes" to WR's that are running sweeps and "catch" a handoff.

NCDawg
09-11-2023, 11:30 AM
I think KB may have been right. I'm not sure we have the talent to run this type offense. The air raid didn't always work, but it could get you back in the game in a hurry. I don't think we could have ever won the Auburn game in '21 after being down 28-10 without Rogers accurate passing in the air raid to win the game. Hope I'm proved wrong about this offense.