PDA

View Full Version : I know this won't happen- but it should

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 12:39 PM
If I were in Arnett's shoes I call a meeting with the offense.

Outside of the red zone and short yardage we run our old Air Raid packages. Will calls the plays in those situations like he did when Leach was here.

In the red zone and short yardage we go to 12 and 22 personnel unless it's an extremely long situation and Barbay calls those plays.

What this would do is maximize our personnel better because we would have Tulu, Zavion, Justin Robinson, Creed, and Woody on the field most of the time. We would be able to use Walley, Roberson, and Bellezar more. Could certainly work in Wright some too.

It would cause us to be more balanced too.

Sure it would piss off Barbay but I have a feeling that he is probably gone anyway after this year.

StarkVegasSteve
09-10-2023, 12:46 PM
Yea that would not work. We would have two different playbooks and two different terminologies. We suck at one offense currently, I would prefer to not suck at two.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-10-2023, 12:46 PM
"hey you know how we fired our really good OL coach because we wanted to bring in Friend who has more experience coaching run blocking, and then we spent all spring and fall practices teaching the OL new blocking schemes, and having WRs practice vs man instead of zone, and having Will learn new reads, and implementing TEs? Scrap all that, we have 3 practices to implement the full air raid vs LSU"

Just because these players ran the air raid before doesn't mean they can just go back to it. Leach himself still would have needed all offseason of practices to make his O look OK, now we've fired the whole air raid staff and you think we can pick it back up?

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 12:47 PM
Yea that would not work. We would have two different playbooks and two different terminologies. We suck at one offense currently, I would prefer to not suck at two.

True. But Leach's playbook was so small and we would be taking out the 3-4 running plays. And Barbay allegedly has some of the same plays as Leach so it's probably more doable in this instance.

CadaverDawg
09-10-2023, 12:50 PM
If the games were being played on PlayStation this might work.

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 12:53 PM
"hey you know how we fired our really good OL coach because we wanted to bring in Friend who has more experience coaching run blocking, and then we spent all spring and fall practices teaching the OL new blocking schemes, and having WRs practice vs man instead of zone, and having Will learn new reads, and implementing TEs? Scrap all that, we have 3 practices to implement the full air raid vs LSU"

Just because these players ran the air raid before doesn't mean they can just go back to it. Leach himself still would have needed all offseason of practices to make his O look OK, now we've fired the whole air raid staff and you think we can pick it back up?

Should have never scrapped it to start with.

CadaverDawg
09-10-2023, 12:56 PM
The Air Raid sucked. I miss Leach the man, but I'd rather watch last night's offense the rest of my life than to bring back the Air Raid.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-10-2023, 01:01 PM
Should have never scrapped it to start with.

Should have adapted it like every other air raid guy did. More run wrinkles, a mobile QB, not as heavy pass/run ratios. We'd still keep the same 4 wide, the same routes, the same reads for Will, the OL would have new stuff to pick up but not a much as this. Should have gone with the Reilly offense.

Turns out when you coach, run, and recruit for 3 years to an offense that passes vs zone 80% of the time, it's hard to take that same personnel and have them run it 70% of the time and pass vs man the other 30%. We literally had to convert a WR to TE to line up the way the new OC wants. We do not have the personnel to run this system. We did have the personnel to run a Reilly style Air Raid

Quaoarsking
09-10-2023, 01:40 PM
The Air Raid sucked. I miss Leach the man, but I'd rather watch last night's offense the rest of my life than to bring back the Air Raid.

Why? Just personal preference?

I'll take the win, but last night may be the least amount of fun I've ever had watching us beat a P5 team.

State82
09-10-2023, 01:43 PM
I'll take the win, but last night may be the least amount of fun I've ever had watching us beat a P5 team.

My sentiments exactly. We are in a world of shit.

PMDawg
09-10-2023, 01:47 PM

Outside of the red zone and short yardage we run our old Air Raid packages. Will calls the plays in those situations like he did when Leach was here.

In the red zone and short yardage we go to 12 and 22 personnel unless it's an extremely long situation and Barbay calls those plays.

What this would do is maximize our personnel better because we would have Tulu, Zavion, Justin Robinson, Creed, and Woody on the field most of the time. We would be able to use Walley, Roberson, and Bellezar more. Could certainly work in Wright some too.

Sure it would piss off Barbay but I have a feeling that he is probably gone anyway after this year.

It's easy to say what you would do in a situation you will never be in. I know we all think we would be great coaches, but 99.99% of us would fail spectacularly.

MBDawg601
09-10-2023, 01:48 PM
Why? Just personal preference?

I agree. Atleast with the air raid, we had an identity. I don't know what we are running, but I can just about call the play 80% of the time. Marks up the middle.

BlackSailsDawg
09-10-2023, 01:55 PM
We do not have to be an either or team.

The truth is the staff is not game planing to our strengths. That's not saying we have to throw it 50 times. That's saying "we have a great run game SO LONG as people respect the pass so we have to throw the ball".

We need to be as close to 50/50 as we can while taking what the defense gives us. As in, more runs vs "Team A" or more runs vs "team B"...

R2Dawg
09-10-2023, 02:08 PM
I agree. Atleast with the air raid, we had an identity. I don't know what we are running, but I can just about call the play 80% of the time. Marks up the middle.

The reason we don't have an identity is the fact we are coming from the air raid and don't have the personnel to run much else right now. Just like when Leach came in, it sucked most of the time.

When he came in I told everyone you are gauranteed 2 suck years - the first year in and first year out when he is gone. Jury was still out on what the middle would bring. Well here we are and year 1 is gonna suck on O. Thank God we can run the ball some or we'd be looking 2-10.

R2Dawg
09-10-2023, 02:10 PM
Will can't handle pressure - in air raid or regular O that much is clear. If a team is gonna blitz Will has to call an audible to get rid of ball quick not waste a play, take a sack and lose yards. A vet QB and any coaching staff should know that but we don't somehow.

MBDawg601
09-10-2023, 02:12 PM
The reason we don't have an identity is the fact we are coming from the air raid and don't have the personnel to run much else right now. Just like when Leach came in, it sucked most of the time.

When he came in I told everyone you are gauranteed 2 suck years - the first year in and first year out when he is gone. Jury was still out on what the middle would bring. Well here we are and year 1 is gonna suck on O. Thank God we can run the ball some or we'd be looking 2-10.

That is true. I guess I am really mind blown that we cannot get our top athletes the ball in space.

Zavion, Whittemore and Tulu are all top tier athletes. Slants and screens should be able to eat a defense alive with the linebackers pinning their ears back on the run.

Coach34

This all day

magrooder
The whole idea of hiring Barbay was that he was going to play an offense base on their strengths. I haven't seen that yet.

parabrave
09-10-2023, 02:13 PM
Should have adapted it like every other air raid guy did. More run wrinkles, a mobile QB, not as heavy pass/run ratios. We'd still keep the same 4 wide, the same routes, the same reads for Will, the OL would have new stuff to pick up but not a much as this. Should have gone with the Reilly offense.

Turns out when you coach, run, and recruit for 3 years to an offense that passes vs zone 80% of the time, it's hard to take that same personnel and have them run it 70% of the time and pass vs man the other 30%. We literally had to convert a WR to TE to line up the way the new OC wants. We do not have the personnel to run this system. We did have the personnel to run a Reilly style Air Raid

Well you said the majic word, MOBILE.

Coach34
09-10-2023, 02:18 PM

Wow. You have forgotten the Croom years already? Last night's O was nowhere near that bad. We beat Auburn in 2007 with 217 yards of Total O on 5/18 passing for 45 yards. We got 6 turnovers that day and scored 19 points

https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/272580002

Coach34
09-10-2023, 02:20 PM
The whole idea of hiring Barbay was that he was going to play an offense base on their strengths. I haven't seen that yet.

He's doing a good job of running it to Mark's strengths

Cowbell
09-10-2023, 02:27 PM
Amen

Quaoarsking
Wow. You have forgotten the Croom years already? Last night's O was nowhere near that bad. We beat Auburn in 2007 with 217 yards of Total O on 5/18 passing for 45 yards. We got 6 turnovers that day and scored 19 points

I was at the Auburn game in 2007. It's one of my all-time favorite MSU memories. Like the complete opposite of last night.

Dawgface

This all day.

Quaoarsking
09-10-2023, 02:29 PM
I think some people think you're "supposed" to win football by running the ball and being physical, and any other way of winning is inferior to that. If you approach games from that mindset, then last night's shitshow of an offense is going to be more fun the Air Raid.

However, if Leach were still alive, I can just about guarantee we would have won the game without overtime, and would have probably had at least 100 more yards of offense, maybe more. It would have been much more fun in the stands.

Coach34
09-10-2023, 02:30 PM
I was at the Auburn game in 2007. It's one of my all-time favorite MSU memories. Like the complete opposite of last night.

All about perspective I guess. I watched it sating thats some of the worst shit I've ever seen from a college offense. Nothing will ever top 3-2 but that turd in 2007 was awful

MBDawg601
09-10-2023, 02:31 PM
All about perspective I guess. I watched it sating thats some of the worst shit I've ever seen from a college offense. Nothing will ever top 3-2 but that turd in 2007 was awful

That Auburn team wasn't half bad in 07. The 3-2 game in Starkville is the worst game I have ever been to.

Quaoarsking
09-10-2023, 02:35 PM
That Auburn team wasn't half bad in 07. The 3-2 game in Starkville is the worst game I have ever been to.

Yes, but if we'd somehow pulled out a win that day (say 5-3, since we did miss a FG in it), I think last night might have dethroned it as my least favorite P5 win.

parabrave
09-10-2023, 02:54 PM
Well one thing I will definitely watch after the Cowboy game will be Matt Film Study.

Percho
09-10-2023, 03:25 PM

One thing about it, You will NEVER forget it.

Homedawg
09-10-2023, 03:25 PM
I think some people think you're "supposed" to win football by running the ball and being physical, and any other way of winning is inferior to that. If you approach games from that mindset, then last night's shitshow of an offense is going to be more fun the Air Raid.

However, if Leach were still alive, I can just about guarantee we would have won the game without overtime, and would have probably had at least 100 more yards of offense, maybe more. It would have been much more fun in the stands.

And you can guarantee that how?? I've got a laundry list of games in 3 years that disagree.

Offshore Dawg
09-10-2023, 03:35 PM
My sentiments exactly. We are in a world of shit.

That is putting it mildly !

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 03:47 PM

That's what I mean. An Air Raid system but with some more wrinkles in it that's more modern.

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 03:54 PM

We had one TD drive last night over 50 yards. We got five turnovers last night and got 24 points. That's not much better.

StarkVegasSteve
09-10-2023, 03:58 PM
True. But Leach's playbook was so small and we would be taking out the 3-4 running plays. And Barbay allegedly has some of the same plays as Leach so it's probably more doable in this instance.

You do realize terminology is different right? Like every coach does not use the NCAA 14 playbook with the same terminology.

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 10:07 PM
You do realize terminology is different right? Like every coach does not use the NCAA 14 playbook with the same terminology.

I do realize that. I kind of forgot about it when I made the post. My bad.

We do however have 4-5 WR sets and I think we should use them way more than we are. They seem to be some of our more successful plays thus far.

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 10:20 PM

The reality about the current situation at MSU is this. We have an AD that is very football-centric now. We're going to see a lot more focus on football than we have in awhile- probably since Byrne was our AD. And with that focus there is going to be a lot of it centered on the product on the field. We've long focused on the atmosphere and stuff like that and outside of a few things like needing LED lights or something it's great as is although I'm sure it will improve as well.

Back to the product on the field. I think there is going to be a big focus on making sure that what the team is doing is entertaining and is something that is going to move the needle with the media. What we are doing with Barbay the first two games isn't going to do that. One of the biggest complaints I have seen from fans on social media and other forms of media is what we are doing is boring as well as not working. Now that's not to say that we should go back to the Air Raid. But fans want to see something more explosive and in general pass plays are more explosive than run plays. Running some is fine. I think that has to be in there too. But going forward not only are we going to have to be truly balanced and probably slightly pass heavy (55-60% pass)- we're going to have to be functional with a deeper passing game too. This is the only way we're going to beat people like Alabama and LSU too- which is also going to promote our brand as well.

And with the brand I also think we're going to eventually go back to the late 1990's uniforms that everyone likes too. No more of this "Nike owns it" BS from Larry Templeton.

War Machine Dawg
09-10-2023, 10:51 PM

I can't laugh at the absurdity of this hard enough. It's ridiculous on so many levels. You can't run two completely different offenses well. The terminology, the schemes, nothing is the same. Not only that, you have an offensive staff that largely has zero idea how to run that gimmick offense. Asking Will to run it is ridiculous. He needs to be spending his time learning this offense.

Also, it completely undermines the offensive coaching staff, especially the OC. If a head coach did that to me, I'd immediately resign. Then I'd go to the nearest sports reporter and say exactly why I resigned. No OC worth a single darn would ever want to work for that HC. You let your coaches coach. If they screw up, so be it. But trying to micromanage them is suicidal. This offense will be fine once we have a QB that can actually run it.

Todd4State
09-11-2023, 01:00 AM
I can't laugh at the absurdity of this hard enough. It's ridiculous on so many levels. You can't run two completely different offenses well. The terminology, the schemes, nothing is the same. Not only that, you have an offensive staff that largely has zero idea how to run that gimmick offense. Asking Will to run it is ridiculous. He needs to be spending his time learning this offense.

Also, it completely undermines the offensive coaching staff, especially the OC. If a head coach did that to me, I'd immediately resign. Then I'd go to the nearest sports reporter and say exactly why I resigned. No OC worth a single darn would ever want to work for that HC. You let your coaches coach. If they screw up, so be it. But trying to micromanage them is suicidal. This offense will be fine once we have a QB that can actually run it.

At this point we have a pass first QB and we also have a run first QB on the roster. So far we haven't been able to use either one correctly. So outside of a unicorn at QB I'm not sure what is left?

Pancho
09-11-2023, 06:21 AM
It might be possible is the NCAA allowed them to practice 4 hours a day..........