PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- #RTGDF Edition

Coach34
09-10-2023, 11:45 AM
1. Another glorious Saturday of college football. Thank goodness Little Wool is a year older so I dont have to attend those hard to watch 6th grade games on Saturdays this year. We cooked a great batch of shrimp creole to enjoy with the games yesterday. A profitable Saturday at that. This season has been the opposite of recent seasons. Win that green Week 1- lose it all back in Week 2. This year was lose badly in Week 1- get it back and more in Week 2. Thank you to Colorado, Utah, Notre Dame, Mississippi, and our beloved Bulldogs for making my teasers shine yesterday.

2. I think we all saw the mind googgling gameplan that we had offensively last night. We certainly appear to be a team that doesnt know who their #2 playmaker after Marks is. Been a long damn time since I've watched us and thought "we are running the ball too much". The playcalling last night was awful. The situational use of Wright was terrible. It makes zero sense to be that run heavy with Rogers at QB. We only ran 56 plays last night and includes some OT. Just extremely puzzling. But #RTGDF we did. 1st and 20? Hand that baby off to make it 2nd and 20. I can speak for everybody that wanted to run the ball more- this is NOT what we had in mind.

3. Rogers played ok. Yeah there were some bad misses early that cost us points but he was 13/17. He just wasnt used. I'm a "get the ball to your best players" guy. We didnt do that last night near enough. 39 runs to 17 passes. We went from one extreme to another. The extreme conservatism of the offense damn near got us beat. Wright wasnt used enough or correctly. 1 carry for him is not enough

4. OL looked better than last week but still has work to do. They better get their ass ready for next week. Jones with a couple of costly penalties- one changing 3rd and 1 into 3rd and 6. Allow too much penetration in short yardage. Struggling too much on 3rd and short. 3rd and short is supposed to be a good thing for a team that wants to #RTGDF but right now it's not the best of situations for us. Smith missed the LB on the screen ( yeahhhhh baby....love those screens) that won it for us and it almost cost us. Smith also got a bad penalty on a hold that cost us points- turning a TD into a missed FG.

5. Marks is the guy obviously but our entire RB room got it done. 33 carries for 169 from our 4 RB's. Nice job by Pittman running thru the LB on the screen that Smith didnt block. Great playcall just not enough of them last night

6. Good job of blocking and hustle by the guys on Griffin's TD on the Now Pass. Give Rogers some credit for getting the ball out of his hands quick so Tulu could make the move needed. Also a good job of running thru the arm tackles and housing it. Just not getting the ball enough to the WR's. Period.

7. Defense forced 5 TO's and got a stop on downs in OT. 9 TFL's. 8 passes defensed. Lots of good out there defensively. We were knocking their ass off. The long pass before half was bad tho. Shit like that makes coaches (and fans) want to run into a brick wall. Stuff like that just cant happen. 23 seconds left in the half and we give up a 55 yard pass. Ridiculous. Our problem covering backs out of the backfield needs to get fixed immediately. That's just not sound defense. We do struggle getting pressure with the DL but we knew that coming in. Their QB hurt us with his legs and he is not as fast as Daniels. We certainly have our work cut out for us this coming Saturday.

8. Why go for it on 4th and 4 to start the game? Bad decision. Get the 3 there and some momentum. 4th and 2? Ok I can support that. Not 4th and 4. Then having Rogers out there in space on the call was just gross. He got it to the WR immediately- as he should have- but it also allowed the D to close on him quickly because the whole stadium knew the QB wasnt going to do anything else with it.

9. Net punting remains good and we still havent allowed a return in 2 games. Love that. Missed a FG and made one. A miss is going to happen here and there. It is what it is.

10. A win is a win but it was anything but pretty. Left us with alot more questions than answers. But we know one thing for sure- we plan to #RTGDF

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 11:57 AM
You know it's bad when Coach34 thinks we ran it too much.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-10-2023, 11:58 AM
I agree the OC was the main problem last night, and also with giving Will a pass because of it. But I think you're a bit soft on the OL "better than last week but still has work to do" just seems to undersell the fact they couldn't pass protect, missed assignments, committed a couple penalties, and couldn't run block the entire 2nd half. They need to be better across the board for the O to have any hope of success past WRs taking screens to the house

I am suprised at the lack of comment on the defense. There were some extremely inappropriate calls for the down and distance and a lack of adjustments. Hope Brock isnt over his head.

Good wright up, agree with all you said. Just feels like you're holding punches out of hope the staff gets it together next week

gtowndawg
09-10-2023, 12:06 PM
That offense made Croom proud. I miss Leach.

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 12:12 PM
That offense made Croom proud. I miss Leach.

One touchdown drive over 50 yards last night by the offense. That's putrid. If Arizona doesn't turn it over we not only lose- we get our asses kicked.

Leroy Jenkins
09-10-2023, 12:16 PM
Arnett said he told Barbay to run the ball because our D was gassed and "needed a blow".

BankerDog
09-10-2023, 12:21 PM
I was not high on Friend when we hired him. Say what you want, it?s his OL. And specifically it?s his guards messing up things.

Auburn fans felt the same about him-overrated recruiter and coach.

I wish we would?ve not done Miller the way it went down. Not only a good coach, but he was a excellent evaluator of talent.

This is what happens when we brought back guys so people could have ?access? again?Turner, Bump, Knox, etc. Bumps receivers don?t seem to fight for the ball and run lazy routes.

Dawgface
09-10-2023, 12:24 PM
Arnett said he told Barbay to run the ball because our D was gassed and "needed a blow".

Yeah....to hell with making first downs and scoring points.

EdwardDrayton
09-10-2023, 12:30 PM

So we intentionally retard the offense because we're not conditioned well enough on defense and/or don't have sufficient depth to relieve the starters.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-10-2023, 12:32 PM

Which doesn't really make sense! You can wait will 1s to snap the ball whether the play is a pass or a run. The literal time the D gets to catch their breath is dependent on the qty of 1st downs you pick up, not the type of play you run. Now, if you're trying to shorten the game running makes sense, but that's not what Arnett said

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-10-2023, 12:34 PM
Many on here theorized that because Arnett saw Leach leave him alone, that Arnett would understand the value in leaving the OC alone. But telling the OC to only run is meddling of the highest order. Let the OC get 1st downs and put up points, don't demand he do it in a style you prefer for your D.

makes it pretty clear Arnett is still a DC, not a HC with that perspective.

BlackSailsDawg
09-10-2023, 12:37 PM

And thats just a dumb thought. We can and did get first downs throwing it.

BlackSailsDawg
09-10-2023, 12:39 PM
Which doesn't really make sense! You can wait will 1s to snap the ball whether the play is a pass or a run. The literal time the D gets to catch their breath is dependent on the qty of 1st downs you pick up, not the type of play you run. Now, if you're trying to shorten the game running makes sense, but that's not what Arnett said

That is what he said. run the ball to use up the clock to rest the defense. It makes ZERO sense

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-10-2023, 12:41 PM
And thats just a dumb thought. We can and did get first downs throwing it.

Yes! Run the clock to 1s before you snap it, and pick up a 1st down. That's how you give the D time to breath. Whether they get that 1st down with passes or runs is irrelevant. By saying "run the ball don't pass it" Arnett must have been saying he doesn't believe Will is likely pick up a 1st down with his arm vs marks running it. But by the 2nd half our run game was shut down. If you don't think the veteran QB immobile QB can get a 1st down throwing it, why is he in the game at all? Even I think Will should have thrown more as they stuffed the run

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 12:42 PM
That is what he said. run the ball to use up the clock to rest the defense. It makes ZERO sense

Offenses job is to score points. Not let the defense take a smoke break.

Lord McBuckethead
09-10-2023, 12:45 PM
Note for Arnett, running the ball by itself does not give your defense a long time. First downs do that, timeouts do that, reviewed plays do that, and scoring does that.

Lord McBuckethead
09-10-2023, 12:46 PM

Bingo. Defense wasn?t even covering WRs, they should have had gas left.

R2Dawg
09-10-2023, 02:41 PM
One touchdown drive over 50 yards last night by the offense. That's putrid. If Arizona doesn't turn it over we not only lose- we get our asses kicked.

The length of drives wasn't the issue. We had a short field most of the night. It was finishing drives and horrible playcalling that was the issue.

R2Dawg
09-10-2023, 02:43 PM

Not defending CZA and I agree with your comment. However, one of the best Ds against a good O is keep them off the field. CZA comment was from a DC perspective not a HC perspective. He is learning to be a HC that is obvious.

maroonmania
09-10-2023, 02:53 PM
I was mad about number 8 most of the night. You are a defensive conservative coach and you go for 4th and goal from the 4 on the very first series?? That's got be less than about 30% chance to make that when its a near automatic 3. I kept thinking that extra 3 points was going to cost us the game and it almost did. I would not have liked it but could have understood that call from Leach but not Arnett when your gameplan is to run the ball and play defense.

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 03:56 PM
I was mad about number 8 most of the night. You are a defensive conservative coach and you go for 4th and goal from the 4 on the very first series?? That's got be less than about 30% chance to make that when its a near automatic 3. I kept thinking that extra 3 points was going to cost us the game and it almost did. I would not have liked it but could have understood that call from Leach but not Arnett when your gameplan is to run the ball and play defense.

Would have been nice to at least thrown it into the end zone when we went for it.

Still might not have worked but I would have at least felt better about the play call.

R2Dawg
09-10-2023, 04:05 PM

Agree that was a rookie mistake. Then the play call was poor too but the dump down throw is playing to Will's strength so maybe they thought that was the best call. I would have done a reverse to a speeding Tulo or Creed to wide side of field way before that. Or a Mike Wright bootleg to the wide side of field while overloading the weak side. Just dumb play call. Like we are not playing to our strengths.

msudawg1200
09-10-2023, 07:21 PM
Many on here theorized that because Arnett saw Leach leave him alone, that Arnett would understand the value in leaving the OC alone. But telling the OC to only run is meddling of the highest order. Let the OC get 1st downs and put up points, don't demand he do it in a style you prefer for your D.

makes it pretty clear Arnett is still a DC, not a HC with that perspective.

Arnett played for and is a coaching disciple of Rocky Long. Long's theory was score once or twice, then run the ball to eat clock, and play stout D. His mantra was win 14-10.

Westdawg
09-10-2023, 07:33 PM
You can still be that conservative minded, but also understand that it can just as easily be 35-10 and make you opponent?s offense even more predictable as a result, which plays right into your defense?s plan

lastmajordog
09-10-2023, 08:28 PM
Great to have you back Coach, and your input...! GO ?DOGS?!!!

War Machine Dawg
09-10-2023, 09:30 PM
Would have been nice to at least thrown it into the end zone when we went for it.

Still might not have worked but I would have at least felt better about the play call.

To be fair, if 3 hadn't tried to juke the defender and just immediately squared his shoulders and gone downhill, I think he gets in anyway. But as soon as he tried to juke, he was dead. That said, why are we rolling out Will in that situation? If he's mobile, he could've run for the TD. Wright scores on that play. But Will can't.