Matthew Wells
Richie Brown
Beniquez Brown
Ivan Muniz
Deandre Ward
Dez Harris
Bernardrick McKinney
Bohanna? (I think his career is over)

When looking at the linebackers, you can't help but to be excited about the coming years. We lose Skinner, but that doesn't seem to be a huge loss, especially with Benny brown playing so well in his spot down the stretch. McKinney returns and will only be a Junior at MLB, and Richie Brown looked great this year and will be backing up McKinney as a Sophomore. Matt Wells is just a beast and will return but will be a Senior. I really like Zach Jackson backing up Wells and I feel like Collins is trying to mold him into a Wells mold. Jackson seems to have a high football IQ and while we have other higher recruited LB's..I think it will be hard to keep him off the field after Wells graduates.

Dez Harris has supposedly looked great in practice this year, and I expect big things from him in the future. And I'm not even mentioning guys like Gerri Green who appears to be a stud when healthy. We need to make sure we get green signed before I pencil him in though.

It looks like we will be loaded for several years at LB and it is not a position I worry about at all. I feel like LB's the way I feel about RB's....we will reload at those positions.

I think it is clear that McKinney, Wells, and B. Brown will start...and we will see several 4 LB sets with Jackson and Richie Brown involved. The question I have for the board is....How do we get Richie Brown on the field more over the next two years, when McKinney will still be here? I guess BMac could go pro next year, but I doubt it. Do we see more 4 LB sets? Or just continue a fresh rotation like we did this year where he still gets a lot of PT?

And if you have 4 LB's, that means you're taking a talented DLineman off the field. So how do we split time? Just mix up the looks and rotate?

Obviously, I'm having to search for discussion topics with this position group because it is a very talented and stable group. What are you expecting from this group in 2014?

Thoughts?

(My next position preview will be the DLine in the coming days. Looking forward to that group)

messageboardsuperhero
12-02-2013, 06:48 PM
We rotate tons of LBs- Richie will get plenty of time, even if he doesn't start.

The depth we have on defense is as good as it's ever been, at least in my memory.

Harrydawg
12-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Thanks for doing this CD, really enjoy these look aheads.

Political Hack
12-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Richie is fast enough to play several spots. I think he needs to be the backup Mike and Sam, play as a SS in some packages, and be a special teams warrior next season. When BMac goes pro, he needs to be ready to take over the D. Playing a lot of different spots in different packages will help him prepare for that.

Coach34
12-02-2013, 10:42 PM
I'll be shocked if BMac is here for his Sr year

But as others have said- Richie plays alot even though he doesnt start.

CadaverDawg
12-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks for doing this CD, really enjoy these look aheads.

Thanks, I enjoy doing it.

Barking 13
12-03-2013, 08:59 AM
you left out the wild card spare.. Turtle... I think we'll just leave it up to Collins to rotate and change looks and schemes.. i.e. the rush two, drop 9... I could even see a package that has one DT and a busload of linebackers with half of them with blitz on their mind... crazy stuff like that...

Maroons
12-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Muniz ran out for Senior Night - he's gone.

Irondawg
12-03-2013, 10:05 AM
I think you could line BMac up at some DE in pure pass situations as an edge rusher - have him and Preston on the edge with Jones and somebody else inside.

CadaverDawg
12-03-2013, 11:43 AM
you left out the wild card spare.. Turtle... I think we'll just leave it up to Collins to rotate and change looks and schemes.. i.e. the rush two, drop 9... I could even see a package that has one DT and a busload of linebackers with half of them with blitz on their mind... crazy stuff like that...

Wow. Could you imagine being a QB and looking up to see Chris jones as a single down lineman. McKinney, Wells, B Brown, R Brown, and Z Jackson as linebackers. And Redmond, Calhoun, Love, Arrington, and Cox in the secondary. All faking blitz and then dropping back pre snap, and not knowing who is coming? Damn, ole sunshine would shit his pants.

Barking 13
12-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Wow. Could you imagine being a QB and looking up to see Chris jones as a single down lineman. McKinney, Wells, B Brown, R Brown, and Z Jackson as linebackers. And Redmond, Calhoun, Love, Arrington, and Cox in the secondary. All faking blitz and then dropping back pre snap, and not knowing who is coming? Damn, ole sunshine would shit his pants.

'swat I'm talkin' 'bout!

Bullmutt
12-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks, CD, for fertilizing the wool!