PDA

View Full Version : Barbay is ATROCIOUS

No BS Dawg
09-09-2023, 09:37 PM
Play calling tonight has been abysmal.

DownwardDawg
09-09-2023, 09:48 PM
I have only been able to watch about half the plays at most, but I agree from what I've seen. It has been bad.

preachermatt83
09-09-2023, 09:58 PM
Oh, it’s bad. Really bad. He HAS to have a duel threat qb.

The Federalist Engineer
09-09-2023, 10:18 PM
Hopefully this was all a head fake on LSU, they will look at the film and say the OC is a clown.

BlackSailsDawg
09-09-2023, 10:25 PM
Oh, it’s bad. Really bad. He HAS to have a duel threat qb.

No, he doesn't have to have one. He just needs to call the right plays. Remember, he stated he was still going to use some Air Raid.... he knows what to do, but he refused to do it in games 1 and 2,

That's not going to change this season.

redstickdawg
09-09-2023, 10:30 PM
No, he doesn't have to have one. He just needs to call the right plays. Remember, he stated he was still going to use some Air Raid.... he knows what to do, but he refused to do it in games 1 and 2,

That's not going to change this season.

If things don't change we'll be searching for a new OC in December or before

BlackSailsDawg
09-09-2023, 10:34 PM
If things don't change we'll be searching for a new OC in December or before

Maybe, but we are wasting our very SR team. We don't get this opportunity to have this many vets that often.

PGHBulldogBG
09-09-2023, 10:35 PM
I was never a fan of the Barbay hire because he had elite talent for the sun belt but didn?t perform that well. That being said I am not going into panic mood yet. We won and have to move forward. Nothing has changed since my 6-6 preseason pick. Next year I will expect coaching improvements from arnett being its year 2 and you can?t make any longer time to adjust in the SEC

TrapGame
09-09-2023, 10:50 PM
Barbay's play calling was pretty bad. It could be Arizona put in some new defensive wrinkles that were not on film and we had a hard time adjusting. Although, I think the overall game plan for the offense was lacking. And I think Will made some poor decisions that a senior shouldn't make.

Ranchdawg
09-10-2023, 09:50 AM
Did it look bad on tv as it did in person.

Dawgface
09-10-2023, 09:57 AM
Did it look bad on tv as it did in person.

Yep. Mostly end of 2nd qtr and entire 2nd half.

WinningIsRelentless
09-10-2023, 10:06 AM
The second half wasn?t great but I?ll give credit to az for some of it. They made an adjustment at half and started playing downhill. We should have gone to the screen game early in the second half to slow the downhill play down.

First half was a thing of beauty calling plays. If Cole doesn?t have that hold on the last drive before half it?s probably 21-0 going on at half. Should have been 28-0 if plays were made.

Barbay showed he knows how to slow down d?s and get big plays. I think he is going to have to force Will to take some deep chances and I?m afraid the only way to do that is a single option fade or back door throw. If given the option 99% of the time Will is going to check down and not try to take the top off.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-10-2023, 10:37 AM
The second half wasn?t great but I?ll give credit to az for some of it. They made an adjustment at half and started playing downhill. We should have gone to the screen game early in the second half to slow the downhill play down.

First half was a thing of beauty calling plays. If Cole doesn?t have that hold on the last drive before half it?s probably 21-0 going on at half. Should have been 28-0 if plays were made.

Barbay showed he knows how to slow down d?s and get big plays. I think he is going to have to force Will to take some deep chances and I?m afraid the only way to do that is a single option fade or back door throw. If given the option 99% of the time Will is going to check down and not try to take the top off.

As critical as I am of will and the game Barbay called, the Ol HAS to block better for anything to develop. Like even vs a bad ZOna defense the only 2 deep throws will got off were the PI to the endone early and the play action for the TD- both were 1 read quick throws. Literally every other time WIll dropped back and tried to go through reads he was hit before read 3. Now some of that is WIlls inability to move and avoid the pressure, but if Will is going to throw deep or make 3+ reads the OL has to block. If the OL can't pass protect, we will be a dink and dunk and play action passing offense and Wright should be the starter for that

WinningIsRelentless
09-10-2023, 10:41 AM
As critical as I am of will and the game Barbay called, the Ol HAS to block better for anything to develop. Like even vs a bad ZOna defense the only 2 deep throws will got off were the PI to the endone early and the play action for the TD- both were 1 read quick throws. Literally every other time WIll dropped back and tried to go through reads he was hit before read 3. Now some of that is WIlls inability to move and avoid the pressure, but if Will is going to throw deep or make 3+ reads the OL has to block. If the OL can't pass protect, we will be a dink and dunk and play action passing offense and Wright should be the starter for that

Put a clock on how long Will has in the pocket. His inability to process the d at the snap and move to the next progression is what most people don?t understand. He doesn?t process information quickly and that?s fine you better be able to buy time with your feet. But we all know he can?t do that.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-10-2023, 10:44 AM
Put a clock on how long Will has in the pocket. His inability to process the d at the snap and move to the next progression is what most people don?t understand. He doesn?t process information quickly and that?s fine you better be able to buy time with your feet. But we all know he can?t do that.

Either way, for him to throw deep or make reads the OL has to block for longer. If we can't protect for the time Will requires, then there's no potential for WIll to use his accuracy advantage over Wright

CadaverDawg
09-10-2023, 11:37 AM
Barbay is going to make this fan base despise Will Rogers by year end. The Air Raid kept people from blitzing much and got the ball out of Rogers hands quickly...all while also keeping the QB from needing mobility. NOW, SEC Defenses are going to absolutely tee off on us starting next Saturday. They may sack Rogers 10+ times, bc he no longer has the scheme protecting him from the blitz, and his mobility is still zero. I would absolutely bring the house against our O, and we would do nothing against it.
Will has done nothing through 2 games that Mike Wright couldn't do....all while Wright could add such a dimension with his ability to run, and to keep defenses honest on the read option handoffs. I have zero issue with going 90% run, but for goodness sakes if you're going to do it, put the QB in that can add to it. Not the one that they can totally ignore and play 11 vs 10 against. Don't hamstring yourself

TrapGame
09-10-2023, 11:42 AM
Barbay is going to make this fan base despise Will Rogers by year end. The Adair Raid kept people from blitzing much and got the ball out of Rogers hands quickly...all while also keeping the QB from needing mobility. NOW, SEC Defenses are going to absolutely tee off on us starting next Saturday. They may sack Rogers 10+ times, bc he no longer has the scheme protecting him from the blitz, and his mobility is still zero. I would absolutely bring the house against our O, and we would do nothing against it.
Will has done nothing through 2 games that Mike Wright couldn't do....all while Wright could add such a dimension with his ability to run, and to keep defenses honest on the read option handoffs. I have zero issue with going 90% run, but for goodness sakes if you're going to do it, put the QB in that can add to it. Not the one that they can totally ignore and play 11 vs 10 against. Don't hamstring yourself

If Will is out there to hand it off to Woody and miss some wide open receivers, when he does pass, then put in Mike Wright. Will needs to be absolute money when he passes. That's supposed to be why he's out there.

Bothrops
09-10-2023, 11:49 AM
Will is very limited at what he can do. That makes life tough for Barbay. I would play and throw Wright more myself. At least he can zip the ball and roll out where no one is catching him. Extending pass plays is the ticket folks. It's the ticket to this offense becoming unstoppable.

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 12:01 PM
Will is very limited at what he can do. That makes life tough for Barbay. I would play and throw Wright more myself. At least he can zip the ball and roll out where no one is catching him. Extending pass plays is the ticket folks. It's the ticket to this offense becoming unstoppable.

If Barbay can't figure out what to do with one of the SEC all time leaders in passing and our cache of WR's then he is a dumbass.

What happened to adapt to your personnel?

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-10-2023, 12:06 PM
If Barbay can't figure out what to do with one of the SEC all time leaders in passing and our cache of WR's then he is a dumbass.

Seriously I'm hard on Will but he should throw it more than 17Fin times! That's Fitzgerald levels of "I don't trust this guy to throw a hitch without it being intercepted"

BlackSailsDawg
09-10-2023, 12:08 PM

Exactly. Caver stated that "The Air Raid kept people from blitzing much and got the ball out of Rogers hands quickly." The OC can still call plays that do that and it not even be Air Raid concepts. Instead he ran the ball all night and that allowed them to key off on it.

Todd4State
09-10-2023, 12:11 PM
Seriously I'm hard on Will but he should throw it more than 17Fin times! That's Fitzgerald levels of "I don't trust this guy to throw a hitch without it being intercepted"

Exactly and I'm not saying we have to throw it 50 times.

Will has done nothing to this point to warrant not throwing it more. I haven't looked it up but he has been around 70% completion percentage and has 5 TD's and 0 INT's.

It's not like he is at 50% with this short pass play calling and turning it over like Mike Henig.

Mjoelner34
09-10-2023, 12:26 PM
Barbay is going to make this fan base despise Will Rogers by year end. The Air Raid kept people from blitzing much and got the ball out of Rogers hands quickly...all while also keeping the QB from needing mobility. NOW, SEC Defenses are going to absolutely tee off on us starting next Saturday. They may sack Rogers 10+ times, bc he no longer has the scheme protecting him from the blitz, and his mobility is still zero. I would absolutely bring the house against our O, and we would do nothing against it.

This is why I said in the leash thread last week that the leash will be as long as the LSU D line allows it to be.