PDA

View Full Version : The Backup QB isn't the answer... The starter playing to his potential is

Tater
09-09-2023, 02:29 PM
Here's your weekly thread remind Bucky that most rational people compare Will vs. what Will can be. Not Will vs. our backups (though some do and Wright with a different game plan would be interesting.)

Sawyer ain't it. Not yet at least.

Will at his worst plays like the Burns kid for Utah. He's a better passer than Johnson. But Johnson got the ball moving and sparked a different scheme with easier throws. I hope Arnett rides Wright in a game if Will has one of those games like Burns had today. That's the reasonable ask.

But ******* Will is too good of a QB to have that. So here's hoping it never comes to that moment.

Beat Arizona.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-09-2023, 02:45 PM
Nobody wants will to fail, we'd all love to have him throw those consistently accurate touch passes with good timing we saw from him in '21.

But potential only matters if you play up to it. Will is a 4th year starter. He is what he is. If he plays worse than the backup would, the backup should play. End of story. If he plays to his ceiling, then he's playing better than Wright would, and Will should stay the starter. It's all in Wills court.

Personally, I saw him regress in '22, play bad in the EB and the bowl game and vs SELA. I do not think it likely he elevates his game. That's why I stand by my "hot take" that the Will let offense will fail vs LSU and perform better under Wright and that will be the change of the guard. Am I saying I think that's the most likely scenario? No, not really. I'm just saying it's something I could definitely see happening if Will doesn't play better than his last 3 games.

Dawgology
09-09-2023, 03:15 PM
I just want the coaches to play the best person that allows us to win. Whoever that is. These guys are paid to be here and they would leave if another school made them a better offer. My allegiance is to State at this point. This is now minor league NFL.

tireddawg
09-09-2023, 06:05 PM
Yep, Will stepping up, not only in the pocket, but to elevate his game, would be best case scenario. If he refuses to do that, he's refusing to do what's best for the team, & only best for him.
Seems like he may be in self preservation mode.

CaptainObvious
09-09-2023, 06:20 PM
Will is what he is. If y?all aren?t willing to accept the results we get with him at QB, y?all need to watch somebody else. He may be great tonight. But we win tonight with defense and running game.