PDA

View Full Version : Whitley out for Bowl

TheRef
12-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Nickoe, per Mullen, has gotten his surgery and is officially no longer able to play for MSU. He played his best and good luck to him in the NFL. He will be receiving his Master's Degree in the Spring.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2013, 05:20 PM
Dan said he played on torn ACL, WOW!!! I just heard that

msstate7
12-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Wish him the best. Now is the time to move justin cox to fs.

Goat Holder
12-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Sort of makes this board look stupid, doesn't it? They been knocking Whitley all year. And the guy has been giving it everything he's got on a bum leg.

But there have been a lot of idiots show their true colors since September here.

RiverCityDawg
12-02-2013, 05:44 PM
I heard Mullen say this in the post game radio show and was shocked.

Allow me to be near the front of the line to eat crow on this. I bashed Nickoe most of the year...I was ignorant and wrong. Glad he went out on top by winning SEC defensive player of the week. I hope he truly gets back to 2010 form and has a great career in the NFL.

CJDAWG85
12-02-2013, 05:48 PM
He almost single handedly willed this team to a bowl game. His last moment as a Dawg was the love tap he gave Wallace after he stripped the ball. Damn I'm proud of him.

mic
12-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Nickoe will make a roster and will be one helluva of a special teams guy... Best of luck #1

mic
12-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Wish him the best. Now is the time to move justin cox to fs.

and yes this should settle the debate on if we are planning to move Cox to S next year. If we don't practice and play him there the bowl game then I don't see him moving.. I hope he does..

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2013, 06:04 PM
I agree, this provides a great opportunity to get Cox a head start at free safety, if that's what they decide to do.

Getting him a game there, 15 practices there, and spring practice at safety, could prove to be very valuable early next season.

Bothrops
12-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Gonna miss 'ol #1, formerly #5 out there. Never will forget the punishment he delivered to opponents, and the Cam Newton interception he had as a true freshman. Seems like yesterday.

messageboardsuperhero
12-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Stripping Bo on the last play of the Egg Bowl and letting him know about it is helluva way to go out.

Coach34
12-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Sort of makes this board look stupid, doesn't it? They been knocking Whitley all year. And the guy has been giving it everything he's got on a bum leg.

But there have been a lot of idiots show their true colors since September here.

Him playing on one leg shoes toughness- but it didnt make his play any better. He got abused at times this season. I applaud the effort- but him playing hurt us at times. I'm happy as hell it worked out in the end though for him. What a way to go out.

If Mullen would explain some things as we go instead of being all CIA- he would probably catch less shit when things go bad.

dawgs
12-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Him playing on one leg shoes toughness- but it didnt make his play any better. He got abused at times this season. I applaud the effort- but him playing hurt us at times. I'm happy as hell it worked out in the end though for him. What a way to go out.

If Mullen would explain some things as we go instead of being all CIA- he would probably catch less shit when things go bad.

exactly what i was going to say, except that mullen had good reasons for keeping the injury on the DL, because if that info was known to our opponents, they'd have tested whitley even more, and he'd probably have seen more than his fair share of blocks below the waist.

glad it worked out and he made some huge plays to get us bowl eligible in the end, but calling him out for getting burned doesn't make anyone stupid, it makes them observant. pretty sure some folks around here commented that he must be hurt given the way he was playing in the middle of the season, but without being in the lockerroom, no one knows. if we can't discuss who is playing well and who isn't, then what's the point of discussing sports at all, since everything might be revealed to due to an injury or off-field issue at a later date. for instance in the south carolina game, we all saw dak play his worst game of the season with a bunch of turnovers. the next day his mother passed away from cancer. we then all understood why the day before he had played his worst game, because he knew his mother was nearing the end. doesn't make us pointing out his bad game "stupid", it's just that after the fact we found out there was a reasonable explanation for what we saw on the field. the same applies to whitley. we now see there was a reasonable explanation for him getting burned in coverage throughout the season.

mstatefan91
12-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Proud of Whitley for sticking it out for his team. Best of luck to him in the NFL Combine!

messageboardsuperhero
12-02-2013, 06:45 PM

I've grown to like his secretive ways. If Mullen had come out and said "Nickoe is playing on a torn ACL," teams would have gone after him even more.

It all worked out though.

CadaverDawg
12-02-2013, 06:48 PM

^This is the post of the day^

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2013, 07:42 PM

Nailed it.

Harrydawg
12-02-2013, 07:48 PM
I remember telling my son when Whitley was a freshman that we would remember Nikoe as one of the great Safety's in MSU history......now, he had his struggles and now we see why! Guy was playing on one wheel. Btw, completely understand why coaches cannot declare these injuries.......they'd be pickd apart.

Nikoe is the man!

Pollodawg
12-02-2013, 07:51 PM

I understand what you are saying, but that is basically an invitation to pick on Whitley in the passing game if Mullen were to just come out and say it. Not to mention it raises the temptation for an already bad leg to get "rolled up on" if you know what I mean, for one our opponents to remove him from a game.

MSUDawg4Life
12-02-2013, 08:55 PM

Right.

Mullen should let our opponents know one of our starting safeties is playing on one leg. So that he can make our dumbass "fans" happy.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

CadaverDawg
12-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Right.

Mullen should let our opponents know one of our starting safeties is playing on one leg. So that he can make our dumbass "fans" happy.

I agree that you don't announce the injury...but you can't keep throwing the guy out there if he's hurting the team either. Teams picked on Whitley even without knowing he was injured, because they watched film of him getting horribly beaten.

That being said, I'm glad he went off in his last few games. Guy is a misunderstood warrior. He's getting his freaking masters degree and is being called a thug by people outside of our program. He has his idiotic moments, but the dude is a beast and I hope he has a long NFL career

MSUDawg4Life
12-02-2013, 09:39 PM
I agree that you don't announce the injury...but you can't keep throwing the guy out there if he's hurting the team either. Teams picked on Whitley even without knowing he was injured, because they watched film of him getting horribly beaten.

That being said, I'm glad he went off in his last few games. Guy is a misunderstood warrior. He's getting his freaking masters degree and is being called a thug by people outside of our program. He has his idiotic moments, but the dude is a beast and I hope he has a long NFL career

I agree with you on that.

However, it can be argued that playing Nickoe is the difference between winning or losing those last two games. We could very well be 4-8 without Nickoe's heart and experience out there. Yet, we have people who question Dan and Nickoe. People who suggest that we should trumpet our injuries from the mountaintops to satisfy people who know little to nothing about coaching or playing college football. It's ridiculous.

messageboardsuperhero
12-02-2013, 09:39 PM

The fact that UM fans hate Nickoe's guts makes me like him even more.

Coach34
12-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Right.

Mullen doesnt have to say "#1 has a partially torn ACL"....but he can say "#1 has been battling some knee soreness and is fighting thru it"

It's not like teams were more likely to find him and exploit after Mullen said something like that- they did it all damn season long. These guys watch hours of film- they can see he couldnt cover anybody- it was there game after game

Coach34
12-02-2013, 09:55 PM
People who suggest that we should trumpet our injuries from the mountaintops to satisfy people who know little to nothing about coaching or playing college football. It's ridiculous.

It's amazing other coaches in other programs can talk somewhat about injured players without being overly specific. But thanks to Mullen's extra secret CIA cover-ups, we have a special advantage over everyone huh?

I mean my God- I knew Prescott was gonna play in the EB the minute Mullen said he was out till the bowl game.

WeWonItAll(Most)
12-02-2013, 10:01 PM

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what he's getting his masters in?

CadaverDawg
12-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what he's getting his masters in?

Gardening?*

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/035/395/peeinhedges_display_image.jpg?1331953165

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Gardening?*

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/035/395/peeinhedges_display_image.jpg?1331953165

24 solid karat GOLD!!!

SPMT
12-03-2013, 07:53 AM

My sentiments as well
Tough
Not the best move by the coaches to play an injured player that was getting picked on at times

FISHDAWG
12-03-2013, 09:52 AM
ha - that's what dogs do .... and at UGA's hedges to boot