PDA

View Full Version : best MS WRs in last 5 years..

justwin
12-02-2013, 03:51 PM
saw a few posts on other threads about top WRs from MS. Looking back through 2009 since Mullen arrived, I'd say the best 5 WRs based on college performance are:

1. Bumphis - led SEC in TD catches sr year
2. Moncrief - caught 10 tds as a soph
3. Norwood - been clutch in several of Bama's big games the last several years.
4 & 5. I couldn't find a guy whose made a significant impact....there were several guys who caught a few tds here and there like Chris Smith, Vince Sanders, RoJo, but no one who really has made a major impact on the college level. I guess we could put Jameon Lewis at #4 with 11 career tds.

Deandre Brown was really good, but he came out a year before Mullen arrived.

Just trying to think about the instate MS WRs who were available the last 5 years and what they've done in college & who Mullen would have "missed" on. The really glaring one is Kevin Norwood.

Does MS just not produce that many gamechanger WRs?

Goat Holder
12-02-2013, 03:55 PM
MS typically doesn't produce QBs and WRs at all. It's gotten better lately though, as you've pointed out with the guys you list. The HS coaching just isn't there.

Honestly, the most success we've had recruiting WRs is going to the small towns and recruiting the QB, who is typically the best athlete on the team. Tubby Lewis is an example of this. Omarr Conner was a good receiver, hell even Eric Moulds was a QB in HS.

Coach34
12-02-2013, 05:11 PM
It's not that coaching in Mississippi is so bad- it's the mindset. It's only been in the last 7-8 years that HS coaches are starting to embrace the Spread offenses. It's been I-Pro, Wing-T, Spit-backs Veer, and Wishbone forever.

And that doesnt develop 5-star WR's

Madisonmd
12-02-2013, 05:16 PM
Had an SEC assistant tell me MS coaching was really bad, which explains why AL has dominated the MS/AL All star game . He said kids in LA and AL are way ahead of our kids in fundamentals of the game.

Goat Holder
12-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Which is another reason that AL and LA should be our biggest focus of recrootin, outside of Our State obviously.

Coach34
12-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Had an SEC assistant tell me MS coaching was really bad, which explains why AL has dominated the MS/AL All star game . He said kids in LA and AL are way ahead of our kids in fundamentals of the game.

I've talked to many, many SEC assistants and the overwhelming view was what I said.

Alabama dominates the All-Star game because they have almost 2 million more people in their state- which turns out a higher number of top-flight athletes.

Mississippi HS coaches are as good as it gets coaching I-Pro formation and Wing-T football. You never see Mississippi having a problem turning out linemen or RB's. Mississippi churns out DL and CB recruits like few other states.

Mississippi doesnt churn out QB's and WR's because of the offensive mindset that has lingered for years. Say you practice offense for an hour at practice everyday- 45 minutes was spent on the running game and maybe 15 minutes on passing. Some of Mississippi's best coaches are famous for not throwing the ball- Mike Justice won a 5A state championship in the late 90's without throwing a damn pass. South Panola dominated 5A and they never threw the ball. Shit, you have to be a pretty good coach to accomplish that. It means you can teach the **** out of the run game.

Sienfield
12-02-2013, 05:36 PM
I believe we can find wide receivers on any street corner in Miami.

justwin
12-02-2013, 06:51 PM
pretty good point which makes sense. Seems like there are 5 or less MS high schools that commit to the passing game...Meridian & Oak Grove come to mind.

if that's the case, then does that mean that the "raw" talent is there in MS, but the instate colleges just can't develop it? How much of it is to blame on OM & MSU not being known historically as passing schools? Yes, OM has gotten the occasional good QB (and MSU was at a complete loss with what to f*ck to do with Russell or Fant's talent), but none of those WRs were outstanding that Eli was throwing too. I guess I keep thinking about Norwood and how him choosing Bama over the instate schools may have really paid off for him as he's developed over the years and gotten exposure. I wonder how he would've developed had he gone to an instate school b/c he looks like he's on his way to the NFL. Of course, he seems to have really made the plays when they were presented to him. I just wish we could get a guy to make catches like the td catch over Redmond a few weeks back.

On the flip, you have guys like Patterson, Brassell, Singleton, Sanders, Morrow, etc who were thought to be all world coming out of HS and they just got screwed by falling for the fool's gold in oxford or just not producing. Does anyone realistically think that those three would've been worldbeaters had they come to Vegas?

Overall, it just seems like we need a dominant outside WR to make the next step and I'm curious if there are viable instate options albeit raw...

It's not that coaching in Mississippi is so bad- it's the mindset. It's only been in the last 7-8 years that HS coaches are starting to embrace the Spread offenses. It's been I-Pro, Wing-T, Spit-backs Veer, and Wishbone forever.

dawgs
12-02-2013, 07:13 PM
pretty good point which makes sense. Seems like there are 5 or less MS high schools that commit to the passing game...Meridian & Oak Grove come to mind.

if that's the case, then does that mean that the "raw" talent is there in MS, but the instate colleges just can't develop it?

maybe msu and om do develop it the best they can, but when guys come in 2-3 years behind the developmental curve, that means that they are sophs or juniors before they are on the same level as a true frosh our of states like texas, georgia, bama, louisiana, and florida.

as pointed out above, MS produces plenty of OL, RB, and defensive players. it's good to see us looking to states like louisiana (dak), florida (sandberg), and georgia (staley and fitzgerald) for QBs lately, and to texas (ross) and bama (wilson) for WRs. i'm sure i'm missing some more WRs. texas is especially loaded with overlooked QBs and WRs that can run a really great spread offense.

Todd4State
12-02-2013, 07:24 PM
What's interesting is this upcoming year for 2015, there are a TON of good WR prospects in Mississippi, but not as many RB prospects.

Malik Dear at Murrah, Cameron Myers at Oak Grove, Dontae Jones at Louisville, Jay Johnson at Bruce, Tupelo has a good slot WR that is a prospect, Anfernee Sullivan at Taylorsville, Damion Willis from West Lauderdale, Indianola-Gentry has a good slot WR prospect, and etc.

You also have Minchew and J'Mar Smith and then Olive Branch's QB if he recovers from his concussion as far as QB prospects.

Todd4State
12-02-2013, 07:27 PM

For example, I've heard that Madison Central is going back to the triple option next year. And you look at who their coach is. In the 6A state championship game, Tupelo runs a pass first spread and Oak Grove runs a spread. That's good for Mississippi because I think a lot of coaches in Mississippi would look at South Panola and say "see, our style still works better."

Todd4State
12-02-2013, 07:30 PM

if that's the case, then does that mean that the "raw" talent is there in MS, but the instate colleges just can't develop it? How much of it is to blame on OM & MSU not being known historically as passing schools? Yes, OM has gotten the occasional good QB (and MSU was at a complete loss with what to f*ck to do with Russell or Fant's talent), but none of those WRs were outstanding that Eli was throwing too. I guess I keep thinking about Norwood and how him choosing Bama over the instate schools may have really paid off for him as he's developed over the years and gotten exposure. I wonder how he would've developed had he gone to an instate school b/c he looks like he's on his way to the NFL. Of course, he seems to have really made the plays when they were presented to him. I just wish we could get a guy to make catches like the td catch over Redmond a few weeks back.

On the flip, you have guys like Patterson, Brassell, Singleton, Sanders, Morrow, etc who were thought to be all world coming out of HS and they just got screwed by falling for the fool's gold in oxford or just not producing. Does anyone realistically think that those three would've been worldbeaters had they come to Vegas?

Overall, it just seems like we need a dominant outside WR to make the next step and I'm curious if there are viable instate options albeit raw...

A lot of the bigger 5 and 6A schools are running some version of the spread. I think the issue is there aren't many schools that run the spread that are high profile like South Panola. Olive Branch has run the spread for years, Tupelo has gone to it, Brandon runs one- but I think it's going to take someone going on a championship run like South Panola did for it to catch on, as well as the older coaches to retire out.

Todd4State
12-02-2013, 07:38 PM
And as far as Patterson, Singleton, Brassell, etc. There's no way to know how they would have turned out. Patterson would have been a H-back under Dan and probably would have done OK. Singleton never fit Nutt's offense, and he is doing pretty well for JSU right now. I think if we had taken Brassell away from his negative environment, he would have stood a better chance at MSU. Sanders has done OK at Ole Miss, and Morrow is progressing and I think he will have a pretty solid career when all is said and done.

Even though we didn't get most of those guys, we did a good job of finding guys like Malcolm Johnson and Jameon who have been productive.

Todd4State
12-02-2013, 07:42 PM
And as far as out of state, I'm telling y'all- Louisiana is the place to go. Alabama has two SEC schools, Louisiana only has one. That means less competition and likely more high end talent. New Orleans is a major city and a lot of people don't recruit there other than LSU. Then you have Baton Rouge, Shreveport, and Monroe.

Dan has done a good job with that- Dak, Day, Robinson, etc.

Coach34
12-02-2013, 07:51 PM
maybe msu and om do develop it the best they can, but when guys come in 2-3 years behind the developmental curve, that means that they are sophs or juniors before they are on the same level as a true frosh our of states like texas, georgia, bama, louisiana, and florida.

Yes Yes Yes

These guys arent doing much reading of coverages or any type of option routes likes all these guys in other states. When they get to college- it's all new to them- you get kids from Texas HS's that have been doing stuff like that since the 9th grade. It makes a huge difference in blocking, route running, positioning your body, etc...