PDA

View Full Version : Auburn ? on getting into the 'ship

justwin
12-02-2013, 03:29 PM
With all of the talk about OSU's wins not being "dominating", I haven't heard any pundit mention the same thought on Auburn's wins. Just seems that most are looking for chinks in OSU's team, without using the same logic on Auburn.

Auburn beat a 6 win WSU by 7, a 6 win MSU on the last second, handled pretty well by an decent LSU team, 8 point win vs TSUN, a 4 point win over TXAM with an injured Johnny Fball, a decent GA team on a hail mary, and a win vs Bama team that missed 4 FGs on a last second play.

OSU only went into the 4Q with two games....Iowa & Michigan....each decent teams.

I would think that most would agree that the SEC was average this year sans Bama. So, why does beating Bama (who wasn't as good as the previous Bama teams) automatically put Auburn in the 'ship assuming they beat Mizzou?

I do think that a Meyer lead team with a month to prepare can play with any other team in the country...assuming they beat MSU Saturday.

Is this crazy talk?

Goat Holder
12-02-2013, 03:51 PM
It doesn't. I completely agree with you. I honestly think Mizzou has much more of an argument to be in Auburn's shoes than Auburn does, and I think I'll be proven correct on Saturday. This Auburn drooling is RIDICULOUS. That team is charmed like none other I've ever seen, they honestly are an 8-4 type team. And you're correct, Bama isn't as dominant as they have been. I personally think that if Bama had played FSU, they'd have gotten beat for the title.

Of course, knowing Auburn's luck, they'll get some flukey fumble to win the SEC title somehow, tOSU will lose to Sparty on a blown referee call and Famous Jameis will get his charges filed against him the day before the BCS title game.

curmudgeon
12-02-2013, 03:55 PM
The anti-SEC Bias is so strong I don't see anyway that its not FSU-Ohio State for the title.

And you know what? That's good for the Mississippi State Bulldogs.

Bubb Rubb
12-02-2013, 04:13 PM
This is why I hate all of the "you can't win at Mississippi State" arguments. The winner of our division is always in the conversation for the national championship. There is always a chance that the stars align for that perfect season.

As for the "SEC is down" comments...that may be true, but there is no way anyone can convince me that Ohio State belongs in the championship game. The Big 10 is a joke, plain and simple.

Goat Holder
12-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Until they play, you'll never know. The regular season is in essence a playoff. We have no sample except that Mizzou and Ohio State both blew out Indiana. We all play a conference schedule, it is what it is.

It doesn't matter anyway. FSU is going to soundly beat whoever they play and become National Champs, as they deserve to be.

The Croom Diaries
12-02-2013, 04:42 PM
This Auburn drooling is RIDICULOUS. That team is charmed like none other I've ever seen, they honestly are an 8-4 type team.

They had 296 yards rushing vs. a defense that gave up 90 YPG rushing coming into the game. They scored 28 offensive points on a defense that allows 11 PPG.

Sure, they got lucky we couldn't score when given opportunities, then played prevent on the final drive. Then Johnny Football goes down at just the right time. Then their defense collapses vs. UGA and they get lucky on that catch. But this Auburn team as it currently sits after getting better all year long is better than an 8-4 record. I'd say if they were to play their schedule all over again right now they'd handily win every game except for Bama, who they would probably lose to and be 11-1.

Goat Holder
12-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Sure, they got lucky we couldn't score when given opportunities, then played prevent on the final drive. Then Johnny Football goes down at just the right time. Then their defense collapses vs. UGA and they get lucky on that catch.

Ha, thanks for making my point.

justwin
12-02-2013, 06:54 PM
The anti-SEC Bias is so strong I don't see anyway that its not FSU-Ohio State for the title.

And you know what? That's good for the Mississippi State Bulldogs.

I see this very similarly and do not want Auburn to go. I do think that this will be the last year that the SEC has to worry about not getting a team in the NC with the 4 team model in 2014.

justwin
12-02-2013, 07:01 PM
This is why I hate all of the "you can't win at Mississippi State" arguments. The winner of our division is always in the conversation for the national championship. There is always a chance that the stars align for that perfect season.

As for the "SEC is down" comments...that may be true, but there is no way anyone can convince me that Ohio State belongs in the championship game. The Big 10 is a joke, plain and simple.

True. What SEC teams do you think would beat OSU this year assuming ample preparation time? I see Bama and OSU being a stalemate that could go either way especially since Meyer has SEC experience and has beaten Saban...Plus, I think Braxton is better than Marshall. I could also see Mizzou & Auburn making a good game vs OSU as all of those teams can score points. I could even see USC if fully healthy being competitive. I don't think LSU or TXAM's defense is up to task. Overall, I just don't see any SEC team blowing out OSU, but I could see one of those 4, some more than others, beat OSU, but not blow them out.

Overall, I do think the Big Ten isn't as strong top to bottom, but OSU is clearly the most "SEC" like team in that conference. I don't care that they played Iowa and Michigan close.....just like I didn't care that Bama played Tenn close a few years back when the fat bama DL blocked that FG attempt.

justwin
12-02-2013, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=The Croom Diaries;99633]They had 296 yards rushing vs. a defense that gave up 90 YPG rushing coming into the game. They scored 28 offensive points on a defense that allows 11 PPG.

QUOTE]

Come to think of it, Auburn was the only team that committed to running the ball with a multitude of backs, formations, and motion unlike any other team. I genuinely think that there's only 1-3 more teams in the SEC that can run the ball effectively from different sets for success vs Bama, but the coaches have to have faith in the gameplan much like Malzahn does in his. I do think MSU is one of those teams due to the stable of RBs that we have and will continue to have, but we have to have the gonads to do it.

I do think the 90ypg stat is misleading as most of the SEC teams, including MSU, lose to Bama b/c of the name of their jersey.

PendingTransaction
12-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Croom you are right on this one. Auburn played tough in their games, stayed close and when the ball bounced their way, they took it and won. Sure they had the last second play, but you don't win with it if you are down by 20.

Bubb Rubb
12-02-2013, 10:23 PM
True. What SEC teams do you think would beat OSU this year assuming ample preparation time? I see Bama and OSU being a stalemate that could go either way especially since Meyer has SEC experience and has beaten Saban...Plus, I think Braxton is better than Marshall. I could also see Mizzou & Auburn making a good game vs OSU as all of those teams can score points. I could even see USC if fully healthy being competitive. I don't think LSU or TXAM's defense is up to task. Overall, I just don't see any SEC team blowing out OSU, but I could see one of those 4, some more than others, beat OSU, but not blow them out.

Overall, I do think the Big Ten isn't as strong top to bottom, but OSU is clearly the most "SEC" like team in that conference. I don't care that they played Iowa and Michigan close.....just like I didn't care that Bama played Tenn close a few years back when the fat bama DL blocked that FG attempt.

Just because Meyer has SEC experience doesn't mean OSU would compete. Alabama would absolutely run OSU off the field, like always happens to OSU against an SEC team in a BCS game. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

fishwater99
12-03-2013, 12:58 AM
I think Mizzo beats Auburn Saturday.