PDA

View Full Version : How long is the leash?

Pinto
09-03-2023, 10:03 PM
If we start out like we did against SELA next Saturday against Arizona, how long before you make a QB change? 1 series? 1 quarter? 1 half? Or let it ride? If you do change, do you stick with Wright or do you go to a 2 QB game plan?

Cooterpoot
09-03-2023, 10:14 PM
QB wasn't the problem. Damn, some of you fools just don't give up.

Leroy Jenkins
09-03-2023, 10:17 PM
How long is the leash? ... about 13 games.

Lord McBuckethead
09-03-2023, 10:19 PM
I edited to add, Will is a captain. Will is our general out there. We will go as far as he can take us. I hope the light turns on for him. Let?s go.

Pinto
09-03-2023, 10:35 PM
I can?t imagine going through life blindly following someone. If you are content with the QB play in the first half Saturday then you deserve a losing season.

QB wasn't the problem. Damn, some of you fools just don't give up.

LC Dawg
09-03-2023, 10:45 PM
There is no leash. Will Rogers is QB1 for every game barring an injury.

RockyDog
09-03-2023, 11:05 PM
I can?t imagine going through life blindly following someone. If you are content with the QB play in the first half Saturday then you deserve a losing season.

You are arguing with COOTERPOOT. It’s not like you are philosophizing with Socrates.

BlackSailsDawg
09-03-2023, 11:15 PM

Bless you heart

Todd4State
09-04-2023, 12:04 AM
I need to see Wright throw a pass first before anything.

Otherwise no way do I not start Will this week barring injury or illness.

somebodyshotmypaw
09-04-2023, 08:29 AM
I need to see Wright throw a pass first before anything.

I assume the coaching staff has seen Wright throw a pass in practice sessions. And they chose Will.

TrapGame
09-04-2023, 08:39 AM
Will is the starter, period. He will be QB1 all season long.

Now, with that said, we are rope a doping LSU's DC with Wright only running the ball. Barbay never let Wright attempt some passes even when it was late in the game and we winning handily. I'm sure we are going to see some run/pass options for Wright in the LSU game.

Mjoelner34
09-04-2023, 09:04 AM
How long is the leash? It will be as long as the LSU D-line allows it to be. If they get penetration like they did the first half last night, we won't be able to get off a pass.

Todd4State
09-04-2023, 09:35 AM
I assume the coaching staff has seen Wright throw a pass in practice sessions. And they chose Will.

That is the assumption I am also making

WinningIsRelentless
09-04-2023, 09:48 AM
That is the assumption I am also making

I?m under the opinion they are doing the right thing and letting the 3 year starter either win or lose the job on the field. Basically the leash is long enough for him hang himself.

DownwardDawg
09-04-2023, 10:06 AM
If we start out like we did against SELA next Saturday against Arizona, how long before you make a QB change? 1 series? 1 quarter? 1 half? Or let it ride? If you do change, do you stick with Wright or do you go to a 2 QB game plan?

It's an extremely long leash. It might not even have 2 ends on it.

Goldendawg
09-04-2023, 10:36 AM
Leash should and will be short on all players with this staff. We are beyond Hollaway up the middle or Aries not getting the playing time a blind man could see he deserved. Hail State!

Extendedcab
09-04-2023, 10:38 AM
You are arguing with COOTERPOOT. It’s not like you are philosophizing with Socrates.

LOL, rep given!!

Coach34
09-04-2023, 10:42 AM
How long is the leash? ... about 13 games.

Not a chance in hell. Let the offense struggle in a couple of games with us losing them and a change will be made.

People for some reason think there was an actual QB competition in camp and they chose Rogers. No. That didnt happen. A new HC and OC had no choice but to start Rogers regardless of the performance of the QB's in camp. There was no way they could replace Rogers in the beginning. It would be a PR nightmare for them.

I'm in no way saying a change needs to be made or will be made. However, if the offense struggles- then you can bet they will want to put the guy in there that can run the ball and force the defense to account for him also in the run game.

Cowbell
09-04-2023, 11:43 AM
Not a chance in hell. Let the offense struggle in a couple of games with us losing them and a change will be made.

People for some reason think there was an actual QB competition in camp and they chose Rogers. No. That didnt happen. A new HC and OC had no choice but to start Rogers regardless of the performance of the QB's in camp. There was no way they could replace Rogers in the beginning. It would be a PR nightmare for them.

I'm in no way saying a change needs to be made or will be made. However, if the offense struggles- then you can bet they will want to put the guy in there that can run the ball and force the defense to account for him also in the run game.

This. There is a reason that Wright came in immediately in the first quarter when we were struggling. The best thing is that Will has no choice but to improve and he knows it and I honestly expect him to respond.

SpaceWranglerDawg
09-04-2023, 11:54 AM
Do you think that Rogers would still be out there if there was an option that's better? Think Arnett just wants to keep him in just because he's "earned it?"

If somebody else gave us a better chance of winning, they'd be in. And if there is someone who gives us a better chance of winning, and they're not playing because of some random reason....this won't end well.

Reason2succeed
09-04-2023, 12:03 PM
It?s not a leash but I think we will have a legit two QB system before it?s all over. Even with whatever improvements Mike made passing over the summer Will is far and away going to be the better passer. It?s smart to make defenses have to prepare for both. Play the hot hand.

R2Dawg
09-04-2023, 12:26 PM
It?s not a leash but I think we will have a legit two QB system before it?s all over. Even with whatever improvements Mike made passing over the summer Will is far and away going to be the better passer. It?s smart to make defenses have to prepare for both. Play the hot hand.

We have a 2 QB system this year like it or not. Will is starter and MW is change of pace guy. How much he might do is TBD. But this we know is that he is gonna run. I think he ends up passing some too later. If he produces, I can see him completing a drive.

Not a QB controversy at all right now but could it become one? You bet if certain things happen.

PGHBulldogBG
09-04-2023, 12:35 PM
Wright definitely brings a nice QB running game to the table, but we have not seen him attempt a pass. Will has the starting job barring an injury for a reason. I think we see Will play better on Saturday. Hard to evaluate against FCS teams.

TrapGame
09-04-2023, 01:08 PM
We have a 2 QB system this year like it or not. Will is starter and MW is change of pace guy. How much he might do is TBD. But this we know is that he is gonna run. I think he ends up passing some too later. If he produces, I can see him completing a drive.

Not a QB controversy at all right now but could it become one? You bet if certain things happen.

Matt Wyatt just said in his YouTube video that we will have a two QB system. We are going to make DCs prepare for both QBs.

Todd4State
09-04-2023, 01:23 PM
Matt Wyatt just said in his YouTube video that we will have a two QB system. We are going to make DCs prepare for both QBs.

That makes the most sense.

BulldogDX55
09-04-2023, 01:39 PM
This. There is a reason that Wright came in immediately in the first quarter when we were struggling. The best thing is that Will has no choice but to improve and he knows it and I honestly expect him to respond.

Do you think that the entire first quarter's offense wasn't scripted beforehand?

Coach34
09-04-2023, 01:39 PM
Do you think that Rogers would still be out there if there was an option that's better? .

For Game 1? Yes 100%

For Game 5? No

HoopsDawg
09-04-2023, 01:48 PM
Wright definitely brings a nice QB running game to the table, but we have not seen him attempt a pass. Will has the starting job barring an injury for a reason. I think we see Will play better on Saturday. Hard to evaluate against FCS teams.

Yes, we have seen him pass. At Vandy last year and the spring game this year. He is a capable passer, elite runner.

chef dixon
09-04-2023, 02:02 PM
I'm afraid we are going to see this coming weekend that a change needs to be made. Hope it doesn't cost us the game.

Also so many people have mentioned we are saving MW throwing for LSU. You think if a bunch of message board posters think it the LSU coaching staff doesn't realize that possibility? Lol

TrapGame
09-04-2023, 02:11 PM
I'm afraid we are going to see this coming weekend that a change needs to be made. Hope it doesn't cost us the game.

Also so many people have mentioned we are saving MW throwing for LSU. You think if a bunch of message board posters think it the LSU coaching staff doesn't realize that possibility? Lol

Of course they are thinking about it. That's the point. But after last night LSU has bigger fish to fry. That defense got slap wore out before the fourth quarter. FSU's RBs were just gashing them up the middle in the fourth quarter.

Todd4State
09-04-2023, 02:32 PM

LSU's going to be like "who is that guy"?**

Commercecomet24
09-04-2023, 03:02 PM

100% agree on all this! I think Rogers will be fine BUT if he can?t get it done CZA will give Wright a shot. CZA didn?t take the job to make players happy and be their friend he?s here to win. Notice he benched furdge in second half and went with Decarlos because Furdge blew some coverages and gave up td pass.

Tater
09-04-2023, 03:20 PM
100% agree on all this! I think Rogers will be fine BUT if he can?t get it done CZA will give Wright a shot. CZA didn?t take the job to make players happy and be their friend he?s here to win. Notice he benched furdge in second half and went with Decarlos because Furdge blew some coverages and gave up td pass.

Smells a lot like the fanbase is about to sound a lot like the Tyson Lee / Chris Relf debates.

Rogers is far and away a better QB than Lee, but the fanbase (myself included) treats him closer to Lee. Whether it's fair or not, Will hasn't been the reason we won a game since Auburn 2021. He was a large reason for the loss to LSU in 22, didn't really do anything against Kentucky 22', and was not at fault for being overmatched against Bama/Georgia. It's what have you done for me lately and he just hasn't impressed.

CaptainObvious
09-04-2023, 03:22 PM
Well I know I am the resident negative Nellie but at one point in the first half, the memory of Tech and 10 flashed through my mind as I watched our offense struggle against a directional school. And please don?t come I hear with that bs that SELA is better than the clowns our other conference brethren slaughtered because there is absolutely no way of knowing that without them playing each other. SELA looked like a paper lion.

Pre-Season Accolades are always BS. For reference
see Tigers, El. Es. You.
and Gators, You. EF.

Dawgface
09-04-2023, 05:59 PM
I know they're not going to make a major change if Will is getting the job done. Wright will probably be a change of pace guy as mentioned. But I wish they would let him have a full series at some point in the games. Will could get hurt and Wight would be better prepared by playing a little more. And it also serves in changing the pace.

We will know more about how it goes over the next 2 weeks.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2023, 06:22 PM

The entitlement that some are showing in this thread for Will is disturbing. Seems like some would rather start Will, regardless, even if it's not best for winning games

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2023, 06:23 PM

If Will isn't going to throw the ball down the field, then his "better passing" is fairly useless

BuckyIsAB****
09-04-2023, 08:13 PM
I would love for someone to explain to me how the LSU game was Wills fault haha. We repeatedly asked a tackle to do something he could not do and it nearly got Will broken in half. Our boy Rara dropped a game sealing TD in the 2nd half over the middle and Rufus and Ducking all had key drops. Not to mention Austin Williams muffing the punt.

Then again that argument is as stupid as all the rest I have read here.

Tater
09-04-2023, 08:24 PM
I would love for someone to explain to me how the LSU game was Wills fault haha. We repeatedly asked a tackle to do something he could not do and it nearly got Will broken in half. Our boy Rara dropped a game sealing TD in the 2nd half over the middle and Rufus and Ducking all had key drops. Not to mention Austin Williams muffing the punt.

Didn't check out of short yardage stacked boxes and let his RBs get blown up. He wasn't the only reason mind you. Lots of blame to go around. But he was a large reason himself. And he's one of the only ones still on the team this year left.

Todd4State
09-04-2023, 08:52 PM

I'm still confused as to why a lot of MSU fans are shocked that we lost to LSU in the road last year.

It's only like the most difficult environment to play in perhaps the entire country.

Reason2succeed
09-04-2023, 08:55 PM
The keyboard cowboys may have QB controversy but from everything I see about Will, MW, and CZA I seriously doubt they will have a problem at all. They all just want to win. Also, Barbay has dealt with two QB systems before.

Lastly, whoever said that Wright was a capable passer at Vanderbilt must have been watching different games than I did. He was below average at best.

MrCoachKlein
09-04-2023, 09:18 PM

I saw Decarlos in but didn't make the connection that it was a quarter before the other 2nd - 3rd string guys came in. I'm rooting for him

viverlibre
09-04-2023, 09:31 PM
There is no leash. Will Rogers is QB1 for every game barring an injury.

I don't if Arnett is going to play that, I hope he has the 11 on the field that will put us in the best position to win. Remains to be seen.

Cooterpoot
09-04-2023, 10:37 PM
Rogers is fine. Wright isn't beating him out. I don't think some of you realize just how bad a passer Wright is. He's got a limited package of plays. If he's running things, we're in trouble.

dawgday166
09-04-2023, 11:15 PM
I've stayed out of the "let's bring in the backup QB" since I don't do that kinda speculation. I let the coaches figure that out.

However, everyone keeps saying Wright is a horrible passer so I said to myself "just how bad is he?". Cause I honestly have no idea.

Last year in conference only he completed 55.4% with 6 TD/3 Int for a higher yds/att than Will. Nov is where he threw the majority of his passes and that would've been against USCe, KY, FL, and Tenn. That month he completed 55.2% with 5 TD & 3 picks and still had a higher yds/att than Will. He also rushed for 232 yds/1 td in Nov at 7.03 yd avg.
ETA: And that was at Vandy .. interesting.
Another ETA: Wright actually had a better QBR than Will against the conference. WTF! 127.51 vs 122.09. I keep looking at these over and over to make sure I'm reading the right lines for each QB.

Last year we were 11th overall in conference (all games) in yds/att and 91st nationally. Tied with Vandy for last against conference only competition.
We need better WRs. If only we had a young Jerry Rice ****

Commercecomet24
09-04-2023, 11:25 PM
I saw Decarlos in but didn't make the connection that it was a quarter before the other 2nd - 3rd string guys came in. I'm rooting for him

DC is a great young man. I talked to him after the game and plan on seeing him and his family this Saturday after the game.

Todd4State
09-05-2023, 12:08 AM
Rogers is fine. Wright isn't beating him out. I don't think some of you realize just how bad a passer Wright is. He's got a limited package of plays. If he's running things, we're in trouble.

Some of these people are Chris Relf fans so...

Todd4State
09-05-2023, 12:19 AM
I think we also need to think about doing some things to help Will out.

We run way too much on first down. At least mix it up some. It's going to continue to get us behind the sticks if we don't.

Call more shot plays. I was really surprised we didn't call more against SELU. The offense was just as much dink and dunk as Leach's ever was but with more running plays. We probably actually took fewer deep shots than we did when Leach was here in that game. We only took like 4-5 the whole game and I was expecting at least twice that. Even if he doesn't connect (and yes I DO care if we throw an INT) it's going to open up other things.

Will looked more comfortable throwing out of 3x1 formations. That would also get our best guys on the field too- Tulu, Robinson, Zavion, Creed, and Woody with Harmon sometimes in as a flex TE. Aren't we supposed to be getting our best guys on the field? Have a hard time believing that playing a true freshman OL prospect at TE and Ryland Goede half the time is doing that for us.

And when Wright is in the game do we really have to keep Will split out at WR every time? I get doing it some and I understand trying to set up something but until Wright at least throws a pass it's kind of hollow.

dawgday166
09-05-2023, 12:35 AM
I think we also need to think about doing some things to help Will out.

We run way too much on first down. At least mix it up some. It's going to continue to get us behind the sticks if we don't.

Call more shot plays. I was really surprised we didn't call more against SELU. The offense was just as much dink and dunk as Leach's ever was but with more running plays. We probably actually took fewer deep shots than we did when Leach was here in that game. We only took like 4-5 the whole game and I was expecting at least twice that. Even if he doesn't connect (and yes I DO care if we throw an INT) it's going to open up other things.

Will looked more comfortable throwing out of 3x1 formations. That would also get our best guys on the field too- Tulu, Robinson, Zavion, Creed, and Woody with Harmon sometimes in as a flex TE. Aren't we supposed to be getting our best guys on the field? Have a hard time believing that playing a true freshman OL prospect at TE and Ryland Goede half the time is doing that for us.

And when Wright is in the game do we really have to keep Will split out at WR every time? I get doing it some and I understand trying to set up something but until Wright at least throws a pass it's kind of hollow.

Leach's Past Air Raids weren't dink & dunk.

Todd4State
09-05-2023, 12:41 AM

Yeah. You don't get an offense named Air Raid just dinking and dunking all the time. I'm sure we would have attacked more vertically as time went on and we continued to collect WR's and had different QB's.

Dawgface
09-05-2023, 07:02 AM
Some of these people are Chris Relf fans so...

So you're not a fan of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciaK9LT0laQ&t=53s&ab_channel=SlickDawg

EdwardDrayton
09-05-2023, 08:35 AM

^^^^^^

BlackSailsDawg
09-05-2023, 08:46 AM
I never want to go back to a 50-55% passer.

vindastra
09-05-2023, 09:08 AM
I never want to go back to a 50-55% passer.

No one wants to. Our record-setting "passer" is not passing anything past the 10 yards either.

Tater
09-05-2023, 09:14 AM
So you're not a fan of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciaK9LT0laQ&t=53s&ab_channel=SlickDawg

Exactly. Putting in Wright to run the Will offense would be stupid. Some people see the value having a top end speed QB would bring to our offense. But you become a very read option dependent offense. And I haven't seen the proof between the tackles that we'd be better off with that style of play. So Wright should stick in packages for now. We will need him to win games this year.

And I'll say this. Wright needs to have a 30+ yard pass and 30+ yard run for us to beat Alabama.

tcdog70
09-05-2023, 09:16 AM
The keyboard cowboys may have QB controversy but from everything I see about Will, MW, and CZA I seriously doubt they will have a problem at all. They all just want to win. Also, Barbay has dealt with two QB systems before.

Lastly, whoever said that Wright was a capable passer at Vanderbilt must have been watching different games than I did. He was below average at best.

Mike lost his starting job at Vandy--why--because he wasn't getting the job done. He can't start at vandy but idiot fans of MSU want him to start for Us. How about trust our Coaches to play the best QB>

NCMSTFAN
09-05-2023, 09:29 AM
Mike lost his starting job at Vandy--why--because he wasn't getting the job done. He can't start at vandy but idiot fans of MSU want him to start for Us. How about trust our Coaches to play the best QB>

State has better athletes than Vandy, and we seem to be run heavy so its hard comparing what happened at Vandy. I don't think he should start but I think he and Rogers should split reps down the middle. I've never been a fan of dual QB's but we have to get Wright on the field, no one can deny how athletic he is and running an option with him will give defenses fits.

Coach34
09-05-2023, 09:44 AM

http://cfbstats.com/2022/player/736/1113992/passing/split.html

Completion percentage was 57.5 with 12 TD's to 4 picks is below average at best? Also averaged more yards per attempt with Vandy talent than our QB last season.

Really Clark?
09-05-2023, 11:36 AM
State has better athletes than Vandy, and we seem to be run heavy so it's hard comparing what happened at Vandy. I don't think he should start but I think he and Rogers should split reps down the middle. I've never been a fan of dual QB's but we have to get Wright on the field, no one can deny how athletic he is and running an option with him will give defenses fits.

Successful 2 QB systems don't split reps down the middle. You have one who can run the majority of the offense and one who brings something different to the table who has his packages that he excels at. Think Chris Leak and Tebow as a freshman. That's what a successful 2 QB system looks like b

NCMSTFAN
09-05-2023, 11:46 AM
Successful 2 QB systems don't split reps down the middle. You have one who can run the majority of the offense and one who brings something different to the table who has his packages that he excels at. Think Chris Leak and Tebow as a freshman. That's what a successful 2 QB system looks like b

True, when I say split down the middle I don't mean literally. Every game is different, there may be a game where Rogers plays 75% of the game and Wright plays 25%, then there may be games where Wright plays 60% and Rogers 40%... It all depends on the flow of a game and what the defense gives. Again, I still say Rogers should start but Wright needs reps in every single game also, trust me there is going to be a point in the year where Wright uses his legs to either win a game or get us out of trouble.

BlackSailsDawg
09-05-2023, 01:17 PM
True, when I say split down the middle I don't mean literally. Every game is different, there may be a game where Rogers plays 75% of the game and Wright plays 25%, then there may be games where Wright plays 60% and Rogers 40%... It all depends on the flow of a game and what the defense gives. Again, I still say Rogers should start but Wright needs reps in every single game also, trust me there is going to be a point in the year where Wright uses his legs to either win a game or get us out of trouble.

Rogers is the starter. Will remain the starter.

Wright is the backup and will play limited reps.

Saying that Wright is the bomb dot com based off of what he did vs SELA is a bit ridiculous.

1bigdawg
09-05-2023, 01:21 PM
I am not for making a change at the moment. Will has earned the right to be the starter. However, let's not forget how bad he and the offense were against Ole Miss and Illinois. When someone's play is substandard against LSU or Alabama talent, it easy to give them a break, not so when it is Ole Miss and Illinois.

confucius say
09-05-2023, 01:51 PM

Purvis for Page too

Cowbell
09-05-2023, 02:06 PM
A change is only made if the offense is losing a game and Mike comes in and takes charger and starts putting points on the board. Could happen Saturday or may never happen

MaroonFlounder
09-05-2023, 02:49 PM

Saying that Wright is the bomb dot com based off of what he did vs SELA is a bit ridiculous.

If Will is off target and ineffective again in the first half Saturday, he could and should be benched.

There's no reason for a 3-year starter to look that bad

Really Clark?
09-05-2023, 03:04 PM
If Will is off target and ineffective again in the first half Saturday, he could and should be benched.

He was 14 for 20 (70%) for 175 yards and 1 TD in the first half Sat. He was not his sharpest but there is not a coach in the country pulling a starting QB on pace for 350 yards passing and 0 INT's after that first half. That's a moronic take.

NCMSTFAN
09-05-2023, 03:20 PM

Do you even read before posting? I've said on numerous occasions that Will is our starting QB. I've also said Wright will be used alot as well, especially depending on matchups.

Please tell me where I said "Wright is the bomb dot com". I said Wright is too explosive to keep off the field, obviously the coaches see the same thing

Commercecomet24
09-05-2023, 03:26 PM
Purvis for Page too

Youre right. I forgot about that one. Page kept jumping inside and not setting the edge and was pretty much responsible for them getting the yards outside they were getting in the first half. That changed with Purvis replacing him.

Maverick91
09-05-2023, 03:58 PM
Youre right. I forgot about that one. Page kept jumping inside and not setting the edge and was pretty much responsible for them getting the yards outside they were getting in the first half. That changed with Purvis replacing him.

Ever since the Georgia game I have been saying Pervis deserves to be out there he is to good. I hope he turned whatever corner he needed to mentally to get on the field.

Todd4State
09-05-2023, 06:13 PM

He wasn't really off target in general. Not enough to warrant benching him for sure. He just wasn't asked to attack downfield enough. I don't believe that was totally his fault in this case.

Cooterpoot
09-05-2023, 06:21 PM
We played a lot of players and didn't even remotely open the playbook. Will had about 4 bad throws/reads total. This is a stupid topic.

Maverick91
09-05-2023, 06:25 PM
We played a lot of players and didn't even remotely open the playbook. Will had about 4 bad throws/reads total. This is a stupid topic.

Retweet!

If he sucks this week then yeah we might be able to broach this subject again. You guys just hate him to hate him. Is it warranted on a skill level? Sometimes, but let’s see what he does in a new system against real opponents before we burn him at the stake.

TrapGame
09-05-2023, 06:28 PM

Good point. Matt Wyatt in his analysis was talking about how many freshmen we played on defense to get them reps in the fourth and we were still getting three and outs on SELA's offense.

BlackSailsDawg
09-05-2023, 07:21 PM
He was 14 for 20 (70%) for 175 yards and 1 TD in the first half Sat. He was not his sharpest but there is not a coach in the country pulling a starting QB on pace for 350 yards passing and 0 INT's after that first half. That's a moronic take.

It's like insantiy has set in. It's as bad as saying he won't take shots down field because he cant... and we all know that's not true.

MaroonFlounder
09-05-2023, 07:50 PM

I can’t wait to see how awful he plays in the egg bowl.

His best egg bowl was as a true Freshman. He’s gotten progressively worse in that game each year.

BlackSailsDawg
09-05-2023, 07:53 PM

His best egg bowl was as a true Freshman. He’s gotten progressively worse in that game each year.

Lol.. . Wow.

Really Clark?
09-05-2023, 07:55 PM

He played like crap last Egg Bowl, doesn't have a thing to do with your horrible take about Sat. Or the fact you are trying steer the topic away from that take earlier.

Coach34
09-05-2023, 07:58 PM
Will is the QB until he shows he isnt. I'm hoping he gets adjusted soon to the new offense

BuckyIsAB****
09-05-2023, 10:12 PM

Well nobody was playing 3 high then either, but for the most part yes they were dink and dunk not as bad as here

BuckyIsAB****
09-05-2023, 10:16 PM

Ok. Man free 2 off the edge to the RB side your zone read is dead. Power read? Same deal. Man free backside ILB blitz to the rb side you cant block 3 with 2. Throw it and beat me Mike Wright vs man free. Good luck.

Todd4State
09-05-2023, 10:54 PM
He played like crap last Egg Bowl, doesn't have a thing to do with your horrible take about Sat. Or the fact you are trying steer the topic away from that take earlier.

The thing about the Egg Bowl is most of his bad plays were when he was running the ball and fumbled. And yes, of course we all remember his INT that was bad but passing he wasn't bad. 27/39 (69%) with 2 TD's and 1 INT for 239 yards isn't bad at all from a pure passing standpoint. He also made some pretty clutch plays too- pass to Tulu to get the TD before the half and of course he hit RaRa for the other TD. The first TD drive of the game Will was very good too.

MaroonFlounder
09-06-2023, 07:01 AM

Will is the starter, for better or worse. His experience alone is invaluable.

But he grew up a rebel. He doesn?t have the same desire about winning that game as us.

MagicDawg
09-06-2023, 08:09 AM
He doesn?t have the same desire about winning that game as us.

I don't buy this speculation. I know he grew up OM but in my experience, State fans who converted from the other school are even MORE anxious to see us beat the rebs.

SpaceBully
09-06-2023, 08:16 AM

Leash is long. Damn long. I expect the same this week. Mostly Rogers and some Wright for wildcatting.

PMDawg
09-06-2023, 09:28 AM
Leash is long. Damn long. I expect the same this week. Mostly Rogers and some Wright for wildcatting.

Yep. Love him, hate him, or luke warm about him...it doesn't matter. He's the best we have, and he's the one who's going to start for the entire season, barring injury. Wright will get his spots, but he is not our starting QB, nor should he be. Our coaches aren't complete morons. We go as far as Will takes us this year. Just like the last 3 years. He's not perfect, but he's not garbage either. He's somewhere in between, and more to the upper end than the lower end. His arm strength is not elite, he doesn't move well in the pocket, and sometimes his decisions are questionable. But here's the thing - he doesn't hurt you trying to do too much. His mindset is to minimize mistakes. That's why his completion % is high, interceptions are low, and ypa/ypc are low. It is what it is.

State82
09-06-2023, 09:42 AM
Yep. Love him, hate him, or luke warm about him...it doesn't matter. He's the best we have, and he's the one who's going to start for the entire season, barring injury. Wright will get his spots, but he is not our starting QB, nor should he be. Our coaches aren't complete morons. We go as far as Will takes us this year. Just like the last 3 years. He's not perfect, but he's not garbage either. He's somewhere in between, and more to the upper end than the lower end. His arm strength is not elite, he doesn't move well in the pocket, and sometimes his decisions are questionable. But here's the thing - he doesn't hurt you trying to do too much. His mindset is to minimize mistakes. That's why his completion % is high, interceptions are low, and ypa/ypc are low. It is what it is.

Pretty well sums it up.

Coach34
09-06-2023, 10:06 AM
Ok. Man free 2 off the edge to the RB side your zone read is dead. Power read? Same deal. Man free backside ILB blitz to the rb side you cant block 3 with 2. Throw it and beat me Mike Wright vs man free. Good luck.

That's fine. I'm going to scat the back out of the backfield and throw a middle screen to one of the slots. I've scored 7 times on that the last 3 seasons. Backside CB caught us Friday to keep us from scoring. Slows that rush down immediately. I use the screen game with the pump-n-go's to offset all that mess. Then you would get a dose of pick routes to get you off my WR's. Lastly, We are going to get wide the way Tenn does and stack WR's. Your force guys are going to play coverage or play the box. Triple option football 2020. Zone dive/QB keep/Flip to Slot

Commercecomet24
09-06-2023, 10:49 AM
I think everyone on here with rational, semi intelligence, realizes that for us to have a special year, Will has to be the man. He has to make the throws and can't miss the big plays because our margin for error is so small against the very elite teams and that's just the way it is. I picked Will as team MVP in C34s thread and if he plays like a team mvp we will have a great year, if he doesn't we will be average to good. As always the qb gets to much credit or to much blame and that's just the way it is. If you're gonna be a qb you have to accept the blame when it goes bad and of course you'll get the accolades when it goes well. It's nice to know that we have a capable backup, with sec experience who has game breaking speed and agility, and special packages designed for his talents(and i bet wright would be heck on a go route!!!). So come on Will put the team on your shoulders, play with no fear and aggressiveness and help this team reach it's potential!

dawgday166
09-06-2023, 11:17 AM
I think everyone on here with rational, semi intelligence, realizes that for us to have a special year, Will has to be the man. He has to make the throws and can't miss the big plays because our margin for error is so small against the very elite teams and that's just the way it is. I picked Will as team MVP in C34s thread and if he plays like a team mvp we will have a great year, if he doesn't we will be average to good. As always the qb gets to much credit or to much blame and that's just the way it is. If you're gonna be a qb you have to accept the blame when it goes bad and of course you'll get the accolades when it goes well. It's nice to know that we have a capable backup, with sec experience who has game breaking speed and agility, and special packages designed for his talents(and i bet wright would be heck on a go route!!!). So come on Will put the team on your shoulders, play with no fear and aggressiveness and help this team reach it's potential!

Good post CC.

Goldendawg
09-06-2023, 12:54 PM

This, 100%. Hail State!

Gutter Cobreh
09-06-2023, 01:55 PM

That's fine. I'm going to scat the back out of the backfield and throw a middle screen to one of the slots. I've scored 7 times on that the last 3 seasons. Backside CB caught us Friday to keep us from scoring. Slows that rush down immediately. I use the screen game with the pump-n-go's to offset all that mess. Then you would get a dose of pick routes to get you off my WR's. Lastly, We are going to get wide the way Tenn does and stack WR's. Your force guys are going to play coverage or play the box. Triple option football 2020. Zone dive/QB keep/Flip to Slot

I want more of this banter!!! Great stuff from you two!!!

Commercecomet24
09-06-2023, 02:41 PM
I want more of this banter!!! Great stuff from you two!!!

100% agree. Excellent inside football stuff. We need more of this.

Coach34
09-06-2023, 08:44 PM
100% agree. Excellent inside football stuff. We need more of this.

Absolutely. I'm hamstrung with where I'm at currently. I spend more time teaching left and right than actual techniques or plays- so the offense doesnt look like I want it to. But we are able to run a few things decently. Just have to be simplistic and get good at a few things. But imma run my screens yo. The kids are learning what it takes to play hard and come to practice everyday. Not just show up on Friday

https://twitter.com/d1Marshall_/status/1699582953477624204?s=20

Play 2 in the clip is the middle screen I referenced. We have work to do but we are getting better. We are a 2A playing a 5A in the clips. Our schedule is ridiculous. But I'll take a win over a bad 5A when we are 2A anytime

Commercecomet24
09-06-2023, 11:51 PM
Absolutely. I'm hamstrung with where I'm at currently. I spend more time teaching left and right than actual techniques or plays- so the offense doesnt look like I want it to. But we are able to run a few things decently. Just have to be simplistic and get good at a few things. But imma run my screens yo. The kids are learning what it takes to play hard and come to practice everyday. Not just show up on Friday

https://twitter.com/d1Marshall_/status/1699582953477624204?s=20

Play 2 in the clip is the middle screen I referenced. We have work to do but we are getting better. We are a 2A playing a 5A in the clips. Our schedule is ridiculous. But I'll take a win over a bad 5A when we are 2A anytime

Great stuff! The hardest thing with this generation is getting them to understand you have to bring it everyday including practice.

That middle screen was a thing of beauty. That cat has some nice acceleration. Looks like he may be a beast in the open field. Anytime a 2A can beat a 5A is a thing to appreciate!

tcdog70
09-07-2023, 09:16 AM

But he grew up a rebel. He doesn?t have the same desire about winning that game as us.

come on--both his mother's parents are State Grads--Will is true maroon.

BuckyIsAB****
09-07-2023, 10:08 AM

You are widening those guys out for nothing. No Coach worth his salt is going to widen his hang players out if the Qb cant throw it out there. Screen may work once or twice but DL will see it after that. Point is, and you know this, it is extremely hard to score if you cant throw it at all

BuckyIsAB****
09-07-2023, 10:11 AM

Wrong. Like wronger than wrong. He played the worst game of his career vs them because he wanted to beat them so badly. Dont take my word for it go watch the pre game video state put out after the ETSU game

HancockCountyDog
09-07-2023, 10:16 AM

I purposefully ignored this thread based on the title, because I just assumed it was about Will, and it looks like I made the right call. This post sums up the current situation.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-07-2023, 06:46 PM
I said post game that if will didn't start playing better, we'd be unable to move the ball vs LSU and Wright would come in and take over. I stand by that.

That is not be saying Will is trash, just that he played bad on Saturday and it'll give us no shot in SEC play. It's also not me saying Will can't play better, there have been excellent games by him and I hope he gives us 2021 Auburn every game. It is also not saying Wright is amazing or the next Heisman winner. He's Fitzgerald. But Fitzgerald would have won 10 here if Dan had stayed in '18.

At the end of the day the coaches will not let the offense fail if the backup can succeed. If will succeeds, great! If Will fails but Wright succeeds, good! If both fail, the season is lost. Some of y'all are pulling for players and not the jersey they're wearing. Way too much personal passion when what matters is winning.

The ball is in Wills court- if he wants to win and stay the starter, he's got to make better throws than he did Saturday. End of story. Nobody knows what he'll do we have to watch and see because he's capable of going wither way

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-07-2023, 07:05 PM
You are widening those guys out for nothing. No Coach worth his salt is going to widen his hang players out if the Qb cant throw it out there. Screen may work once or twice but DL will see it after that. Point is, and you know this, it is extremely hard to score if you cant throw it at all

lol C34 is going 4 wide every play of that game and you want to lecture him on the need to throw the ball?

Where did he say you don't need to throw the ball to win? And to flip it around, you need to run the ball to win too, which is why ever Air Raid disciple has been forced to add run concepts and be more balanced. Leach was the last of his kind and even he added more run stuff to combat SEC defenses and recruited Parson.

Will will throw it 67%, won't turn the ball over, but will have a low yards per attempt and no ability to gain yards on broken plays, avoid pressure, or make the defense account for him.

Wright will throw for a higher yards per attempt, be able to make something out of broken plays, forces the defense to account for him, but only throws it 57% and will kill some drives by by missing wide open men due to inconsistency. He will turn it over more than Will but he's not a TO machine either. He's Fitz. But we would have won 10 games with Fitz in '18 if we had a coach that understood his team.

I'm sorry but the situation is clearly not black and white. Both have strengths and weaknesses. If Will plays bad he'll eventually get benched. If he plays good Wright will stay the change of pace guy. End of story.

CoachT14
09-07-2023, 07:33 PM
It's like insantiy has set in. It's as bad as saying he won't take shots down field because he cant... and we all know that's not true.

What is true is that Will doesn?t target down the field. He pads his accuracy stats by targeting mostly behind the line of scrimmage.

https://twitter.com/sec_statcat/status/1699940725016736146?s=46&t=rtTZ5VcLluA0hTe_oGr6IA

He took 7 shots 11 yards or deeper and was 3 for 7. 2 of those completions were right at 10 or 11 yards.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-07-2023, 07:42 PM
The thing about the Egg Bowl is most of his bad plays were when he was running the ball and fumbled. And yes, of course we all remember his INT that was bad but passing he wasn't bad. 27/39 (69%) with 2 TD's and 1 INT for 239 yards isn't bad at all from a pure passing standpoint. He also made some pretty clutch plays too- pass to Tulu to get the TD before the half and of course he hit RaRa for the other TD. The first TD drive of the game Will was very good too.

https://youtu.be/_32sspKCF8Y?si=mxJ3IhNd-yjQ_2ZC&t=312

Down 2. 3rd Q. 3rd and 2 from the OM 38. Prime 4th down territory. Will drops back. defender comes free infront of him. He could heave it out of bounds, but he'll take a hit. Instead, he literally RUNS STRAIGHT TOWARD HIS OWN ENDZONE and gets sacked at our own 48. 14 yards lost vs throwing it away, and a chance at a 4th down conversion lost. All because he's scared to take a hit. "oh he was trying to make a play!"? No, no he wasn't. I've never seen a QB literally sprint toward his own endzone, nobody is coached that, nobody thinks "let me run 10 yards straight at my own endzone to avoid this pressure". That was panic, not a football play.

Conversely, he's capable of being surgical with the ball. But he's never scared and surgical. It's one or the other. He was scared vs SELA. The running game and the defense and special teams and even Wright made that game a blowout, not Will. If he plays surgical going forward, that's awesome. But there's a side to will that doesn't fly vs SEC defenses and you never know what % of drives in a game will be which Will. He's the starter so if he's got all the opportunity in the world to perform

Coach34
09-07-2023, 08:02 PM
lol C34 is going 4 wide every play of that game and you want to lecture him on the need to throw the ball?

Where did he say you don't need to throw the ball to win? And to flip it around, you need to run the ball to win too, which is why ever Air Raid disciple has been forced to add run concepts and be more balanced. Leach was the last of his kind and even he added more run stuff to combat SEC defenses and recruited Parson.

Will will throw it 67%, won't turn the ball over, but will have a low yards per attempt and no ability to gain yards on broken plays, avoid pressure, or make the defense account for him.

Wright will throw for a higher yards per attempt, be able to make something out of broken plays, forces the defense to account for him, but only throws it 57% and will kill some drives by by missing wide open men due to inconsistency. He will turn it over more than Will but he's not a TO machine either. He's Fitz. But we would have won 10 games with Fitz in '18 if we had a coach that understood his team.

I'm sorry but the situation is clearly not black and white. Both have strengths and weaknesses. If Will plays bad he'll eventually get benched. If he plays good Wright will stay the change of pace guy. End of story.

haha- nice response. 34 runs to 26 passes last week. I'm a "get the ball to your best players guy"

Nobody wants a guy that cant pass at all and that is not who Wright is. aGAIN- he completed 57% of his passes last season at Vandy.

I hope Rogers adjusts and the offense rolls. I'm just saying- if it doesnt- Wright is a very good option for us to go to and we will still move the ball to win games. Mullen did it here for 9 seasons and had better offenses than we had under Leach

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-07-2023, 08:22 PM
What is true is that Will doesn?t target down the field. He pads his accuracy stats by targeting mostly behind the line of scrimmage.

https://twitter.com/sec_statcat/status/1699940725016736146?s=46&t=rtTZ5VcLluA0hTe_oGr6IA

He took 7 shots 11 yards or deeper and was 3 for 7. 2 of those completions were right at 10 or 11 yards.

Thank you for the stats.

Lets look at career stats for starting Leach QBs:

Will (2020-2022): 6.5 Y/A, QBR 139

Anthony Gordon (2019): 8.1 Y/A, QBR 157

Garner Minshew (2018): 7.2 Y/A, QBR 148

Luke Falk (2015-2017): 7.1 Y/A, QBR 142

Conner Halliday (2012-2014): 6.9 Y/A, QBR 132 --> the QB leach inherited when he want to WSU, not a Leach recruit and Leach benched him repeatedly

Taylor Potts (2009-2010): 7.1 Y/A, QBR 140

Graham Harrell (2006-2008): 7.9 Y/A, QBR 154

Cody Hodges (2005): 7.9 Y/A, QBR 148

Sonny Cumbie (2004): 7.3 Y/A, QBR 139

BJ Symons (2003): 8.1 Y/A, QBR 151

Kliff Kingsburry (2000-2002): 6.6 Y/A, QBR 133 ---> Not a leach recruit, Fr season was before Leach was hired

Only 3 QBs with a sub 7 Y/A: the QB Leach inherited at TTU, the QB leach inherited at WSU, and Will... with WIll being the lowest of the 3.

EDIT: adding Fitz and Wright as a comparison to each other:

Fitz in 2017: 55.6%, 6.2 Y/A, 117 QBR

Wright 2022 Vandy: 57.4%, 6.6Y/A, 134 QBR.

SO Iv'e been calling Wright Fitz, but he's a better passer. And according to some here, he's gotten better since getting to campus too.

Goldendawg
09-07-2023, 08:25 PM
https://youtu.be/_32sspKCF8Y?si=mxJ3IhNd-yjQ_2ZC&t=312

Down 2. 3rd Q. 3rd and 2 from the OM 38. Prime 4th down territory. Will drops back. defender comes free infront of him. He could heave it out of bounds, but he'll take a hit. Instead, he literally RUNS STRAIGHT TOWARD HIS OWN ENDZONE and gets sacked at our own 48. 14 yards lost vs throwing it away, and a chance at a 4th down conversion lost. All because he's scared to take a hit. "oh he was trying to make a play!"? No, no he wasn't. I've never seen a QB literally sprint toward his own endzone, nobody is coached that, nobody thinks "let me run 10 yards straight at my own endzone to avoid this pressure". That was panic, not a football play.

Conversely, he's capable of being surgical with the ball. But he's never scared and surgical. It's one or the other. He was scared vs SELA. The running game and the defense and special teams and even Wright made that game a blowout, not Will. If he plays surgical going forward, that's awesome. But there's a side to will that doesn't fly vs SEC defenses and you never know what % of drives in a game will be which Will. He's the starter so if he's got all the opportunity in the world to perform

This is the ugly play still seared in my mind along the fumble on the OM 4. I want Will to replace those with some spectacular plays this year to make it a great year! Hail State!

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-07-2023, 08:31 PM
This is the ugly play still seared in my mind along the fumble on the OM 4. I want Will to replace those with some spectacular plays this year to make it a great year! Hail State!

Exactly, he's capable of making great throws! I'm hard on him and call it like I see it, but I've also seen undefendable beautiful touch throws and an amazing comback vs Auburn. It's in there and I hope he finds it again

vindastra
09-07-2023, 08:46 PM

Guess, if we force Wright to throw only 10 yards or less, he likely will be an accurate "passer" too.

CoachT14
09-08-2023, 08:43 AM
Guess, if we force Wright to throw only 10 yards or less, he likely will be an accurate "passer" too.

It’s easy to be called accurate when 19 of your pass attempts are 9 yards or less. That means nearly 3/4 of his passes were 9 or less or behind the line of scrimmage.

BlackSailsDawg
09-08-2023, 09:19 AM

And will be the starter the rest of the year unless injured.

BlackSailsDawg
09-08-2023, 09:24 AM
haha- nice response. 34 runs to 26 passes last week. I'm a "get the ball to your best players guy"

Nobody wants a guy that cant pass at all and that is not who Wright is. aGAIN- he completed 57% of his passes last season at Vandy.

I hope Rogers adjusts and the offense rolls. I'm just saying- if it doesnt- Wright is a very good option for us to go to and we will still move the ball to win games. Mullen did it here for 9 seasons and had better offenses than we had under Leach

And he also threw an INT for every 3 TDs

Coach34
09-08-2023, 11:26 AM
And he also threw an INT for every 3 TDs

let's add those rushing TD's in as well to make it 17 TD's with 4 picks. His 7.28 yards per carry was also higher than Roger's yards per pass that was last in the SEC among starters.

Todd4State
09-08-2023, 12:59 PM
Thank you for the stats.

Lets look at career stats for starting Leach QBs:

Will (2020-2022): 6.5 Y/A, QBR 139

Anthony Gordon (2019): 8.1 Y/A, QBR 157

Garner Minshew (2018): 7.2 Y/A, QBR 148

Luke Falk (2015-2017): 7.1 Y/A, QBR 142

Conner Halliday (2012-2014): 6.9 Y/A, QBR 132 --> the QB leach inherited when he want to WSU, not a Leach recruit and Leach benched him repeatedly

Taylor Potts (2009-2010): 7.1 Y/A, QBR 140

Graham Harrell (2006-2008): 7.9 Y/A, QBR 154

Cody Hodges (2005): 7.9 Y/A, QBR 148

Sonny Cumbie (2004): 7.3 Y/A, QBR 139

BJ Symons (2003): 8.1 Y/A, QBR 151

Kliff Kingsburry (2000-2002): 6.6 Y/A, QBR 133 ---> Not a leach recruit, Fr season was before Leach was hired

Only 3 QBs with a sub 7 Y/A: the QB Leach inherited at TTU, the QB leach inherited at WSU, and Will... with WIll being the lowest of the 3.

EDIT: adding Fitz and Wright as a comparison to each other:

Fitz in 2017: 55.6%, 6.2 Y/A, 117 QBR

Wright 2022 Vandy: 57.4%, 6.6Y/A, 134 QBR.

SO Iv'e been calling Wright Fitz, but he's a better passer. And according to some here, he's gotten better since getting to campus too.

Well we only attempted three deep passes against SELU. Not sure whose fault that is- Will or the OC or probably some of both.

Todd4State
09-08-2023, 01:09 PM

I may not be remembering correctly but was this is the play that was when the ball was snapped before Will was ready?

Maverick91
09-08-2023, 02:00 PM
Well we only attempted three deep passes against SELU. Not sure whose fault that is- Will or the OC or probably some of both.

Out of those three deep I blame will for two of them. They were horribly overthrown. Is it timing on the route idk but they have to clean them up. Must hit on them.

Todd4State
09-08-2023, 04:17 PM
Out of those three deep I blame will for two of them. They were horribly overthrown. Is it timing on the route idk but they have to clean them up. Must hit on them.

One of the two the receiver was double covered too.