PDA

View Full Version : Sark to USC: Who does Washington hire?

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Who does Washington hire?

I know Mora at UCLA played for Washington, but I don't think he would leave UCLA

CJDAWG85
12-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Peterson would be my guess

engie
12-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Doug Nussmeier Alabama OC would have to be a big candidate -- as would Justin Wilcox(current DC) IMO...

smootness
12-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Mora said, while still HC in Atlanta, that he would leave for the Washington job if he had the chance, so it wouldn't shock me if he did go to Washington.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't see Washington hiring a coordinator and I think Peterson turned down USC.

Franklin
Petrino
Mora
Coach at Fresno State?

engie
12-02-2013, 02:34 PM
So, if Mora did leave UCLA --- would Washington have made a better hire than USC did? My thoughts are yes indeed they would have...

Sark to USC would ~= Mullen to Florida. Just a VERY underwhelming hire for an alleged national powerhouse. Sark has been decent at Washington -- but he certainly hasn't lit the world on fire...

Todd4State
12-02-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't see Washington hiring a coordinator and I think Peterson turned down USC.

Franklin
Petrino
Mora
Coach at Fresno State?

I think Sarkisian was a coordinator before he went to Washington.

smootness
12-02-2013, 02:37 PM
I think Sarkisian will do well there. He fits the culture and knows how to coach offense. USC recruits itself but he should be able to keep that train rolling as well.

Todd4State
12-02-2013, 02:39 PM
I think Sarkisian will do well there. He fits the culture and knows how to coach offense. USC recruits itself but he should be able to keep that train rolling as well.

And I bet he will keep Coach O around.

engie
12-02-2013, 02:42 PM
I don't see Washington hiring a coordinator

Based on what?

3 of their previous 5 head coaches were career coordinators -- including Sarkisian himself.

engie
12-02-2013, 02:45 PM

In what way is this any different than hiring Kiffin? Or is it using the exact same formula expecting a different result?

He'll be more successful than Kiffin was because he won't be faced by the same sanctions...but this is FAR from the guaranteed slam dunk hire I was expecting USC to make...

Goat Holder
12-02-2013, 02:50 PM
In what way is this any different than hiring Kiffin? Or is it using the exact same formula expecting a different result?

He'll be more successful than Kiffin was because he won't be faced by the same sanctions...but this is FAR from the guaranteed slam dunk hire I was expecting USC to make...

Ha, based on your current track record on judging coaches, I'd have to say SC is feeling pretty damn good.

Sarkisian is nothing like Kiffin. Kiffin was brought in to recruit while SC was on probation. He was expendable. They could fire him at this point, like they did, or if he had won, kept him. And the program is in VERY good shape because he recruited well. They got exactly what they wanted....they weathered probation about as well as they could. Shit, I bet even Kiffin understood that when he took the job.

Todd4State
12-02-2013, 02:55 PM

Sarkisian is not a complete jackass who will insist on bringing in his washed up Dad as DC. That's a start I guess.

Sarkisian and Kiffen are both from the Pete Carroll coaching tree though. I know I am in the extreme minority, but I don't think Lane Kiffen is all that bad of a coach. But the fact of the matter is he lost his team this year and they had to make a change. His last three jobs have been- 1. with the Raiders and a senile Al Davis 2. A rebuilding Tennessee team where he was only there for one year and didn't have the chance to build something because he chose to leave 3. a USC program with some pretty severe sanctions and on probation.

Todd4State
12-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Ha, based on your current track record on judging coaches, I'd have to say SC is feeling pretty damn good.

Sarkisian is nothing like Kiffin. Kiffin was brought in to recruit while SC was on probation. He was expendable. They could fire him at this point, like they did, or if he had won, kept him. And the program is in VERY good shape because he recruited well. They got exactly what they wanted....they weathered probation about as well as they could. Shit, I bet even Kiffin understood that when he took the job.

I looked at USC's recruiting class from a year or two ago and every single player was a 4 or 5 star guy. I was like- man, that must be nice.

engie
12-02-2013, 02:59 PM
That's funny. Tell me again how Mizzou is going to suck this year when I told everyone otherwise. Only at MSU will you be bashed for calling a 6-6 coach mediocre. I guess he's the best ever now? Wait -- isn't this basically what you were just bashing DS for yesterday?

You tell me he is nothing like Kiffin -- yet you fail to explain to me a SINGLE WAY that he's any different from Kiffin? More goat logic**

Dawgfan77
12-02-2013, 03:00 PM
This is the exact same hire as Kiffen. OC at USC then land a HC gig for a few years as an average coach then BOOM HC at USC I don't get it unless he was the only coach that would agree to keep O

Todd4State
12-02-2013, 03:02 PM
This is the exact same hire as Kiffen. OC at USC then land a HC gig for a few years as an average coach then BOOM HC at USC I don't get it unless he was the only coach that would agree to keep O

This is quite possible. If I was a head coach and he was on my staff, I would be worried about going on probation or if he is going to go off on a Red Bull rage at some point.

engie
12-02-2013, 03:09 PM
- Same coaching tree tying them to USC.
- About the same record as a head coach with Sark having a few more years of experience. Sark inherited a Washington program in the dumps and Kiffin inherited a floundering(but not terrible) Tennessee program
- Both offensive-minded HCs.

Sark has gone 5-7, 6-6, 7-5, 7-5, 8-4(34-29 or .540) at an all-time 678-423-50(.611) program.
Kiffin went 7-5(.583) at an all-time 799-354-53(.685) program.

What has Sark done to make him any more of a guaranteed slam dunk hire than Kiffin was?

I'm not saying it's a bad hire -- it may prove to be a good one -- but it is FAR from the slam dunk that I expected USC to pull...

smootness
12-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Sarkisian is a similar type of hire to Kiffin, but I like Sarkisian more. I think, given time, he would have made Washington a consistent contender in the Pac-12. I honestly don't know a ton about the strategy of each guy or what it is they do specifically, but Sarkisian was having success at Washington that was pretty similar to what Kiffin was doing at USC with a lot less talent.

I can't give you a lot of tangible reasons as to why Sarkisian is a better hire than Kiffin was. I just personally think it was a pretty good hire, though they certainly could have gotten someone more proven.

engie
12-02-2013, 03:11 PM

This is basically my thoughts....

He will probably keep alot of the current staff intact I'd think...

Goat Holder
12-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Wait -- isn't this basically what you were just bashing DS for yesterday?

No.

You tell me he is nothing like Kiffin -- yet you fail to explain to me a SINGLE WAY that he's any different from Kiffin? More goat logic**

Sarkisian can coach and win games. In the 5 years before Sarkisian got to Washington, they won 12 games total. They won 33 with him in 5 years (not counting bowls). And, he proved he could handle a head coaching job, which Kiffin has failed to do. Next question.

dawgs
12-02-2013, 03:29 PM

i think peterson would be more likely to take a washington level job than a usc level job. i don't think he wants the bullshit that comes with the mega-programs.

Dawgfan77
12-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Haden and USC need to see that their are other coaches besides Carol's staff. Has Bear and Bama feel to it. Pete ain't walking through that door Pat.

engie
12-02-2013, 03:39 PM
i think peterson would be more likely to take a washington level job than a usc level job. i don't think he wants the bullshit that comes with the mega-programs.

Washington is a big boy school. Don't let a decade of floundering confuse that fact... They are the #18 all-time program in terms of winning percentage. They just spent $280 million renovating their stadium, which was the most expensive in college football history prior to the Kyle Field work. Suffice to say that there's a high desire there to win and win now. Was even some talk of Sark's seat being warm prior to this year.

I do agree that it seems like a better "fit" for Petersen than USC though....

Goat Holder
12-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Name a better hire, that they could get? Sumlin? Nope. Franklin? Nope. There aren't any Saban's available right now.

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Washington is a big boy school. Don't let a decade of floundering confuse that fact... They are the #18 all-time program in terms of winning percentage. They just spent $280 million renovating their stadium, which was the most expensive in college football history prior to the Kyle Field work. Suffice to say that there's a high desire there to win and win now. Was even some talk of Sark's seat being warm prior to this year.

Washington's problem is Oregon.

Like Mark Brunnel said today, "If your willing to go play football in the North West, your probably going to Oregon."

engie
12-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Name a better hire, that they could get? Sumlin? Nope. Franklin? Nope. There aren't any Saban's available right now.

You honestly don't think they could pull Franklin from Vandy? This is USC we're talking about -- and Franklin's success has been awarded by a STILL half-empty stadium. He's got to be getting perturbed. Sumlin is a different story -- since aTm is basically a tier-1 job and there's no reason to think he can't win a national title there.

There are a bunch of guys "available" on the tier below Saban and the tier above Sark IMO. Malzahn, O'Leary, Gundy, Dantonio, Strong, Pinkel, Graham, Franklin, DeRuyter, Andersen, Mendenhall, Golden, Petersen all > Sark IMO...several arguably, several decisively. This is still USC we're talking about here...

engie
12-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Washington's problem is Oregon.

Like Mark Brunnel said today, "If your willing to go play football in the North West, your probably going to Oregon."

Washington can recruit nationally with the correct coaches in place there. It's a beautiful campus in downtown Seattle with tremendous football facilities now. At this point, it's a pretty easy sell for the "right" coach... It should be an entirely different "sell" in recruiting compared to Eugene, Oregon...

trob115
12-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if Coach O ends up in Washington as head coach. He just resigned from USC btw.

CJDAWG85
12-02-2013, 05:42 PM
And I bet he will keep Coach O around.

Nope.... Coach O said Oy Yo Yo Bye

dawgs
12-02-2013, 06:01 PM

i live in this corner of the country, and trust me, the pressure out here, even at oregon, is minimal compared to the sec or schools like texas and usc. washington flies well under the radar with the seahawks across town.