PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Collins on OB

Fader21
12-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Did anyone catch the interview? If so can ya'll give a quick summary of what was said??

engie
12-02-2013, 01:26 PM
http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=551&c=3041&f=2162133

CJDAWG85
12-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Basically talked about our boys sticking with the process. Talked about Calhoun and how he has developed on the field and in the classroom. Talked about Damien and Dak and signed off with a Hail State.

rbdog82
12-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Pay the man something starting w/ a $500. He earned every penny and then some.

Bubb Rubb
12-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Pay the man something starting w/ a $500. He earned every penny and then some.

I think we've got to pay him and keep him, definitely. But I do want to point out one thing....Joe Lee Dunn was one of the greatest defensive coordinators ever, as long as he had the right personnel. When he didn't have his players, his defense wasn't nearly as good. The biggest difference with our defense this year is the defensive line...we had the ability to pressure the QB without bringing the house. This makes the secondary infinitely better. Our biggest problem last year was that we didn't have that. Some if it is scheme...and Collins deserves immense credit for that. But having monsters up front makes a difference too. Rebels like to say, "I don't understand why we didn't take shots downfield" and the answer was that they couldn't. We took it away from them because Wallace didn't have time. That's why he threw three (really four) picks...he was running for his life.

OL and DL recruiting....that is where we have to keep improving more than anything. You can have a servicable QB and a servicable secondary, but if you have the big boys, it can totally change the look of your football team.

Any rebel who says "we just played bad," or "playcalling got us beat," or "Bo played a bad game," or "we lost to an inferior team" is a retard. I mean, a world class, delusional retard. State won that game because we were much better in the trenches. Infinitely better.

CadaverDawg
12-02-2013, 01:57 PM
I think we've got to pay him and keep him, definitely. But I do want to point out one thing....Joe Lee Dunn was one of the greatest defensive coordinators ever, as long as he had the right personnel. When he didn't have his players, his defense wasn't nearly as good. The biggest difference with our defense this year is the defensive line...we had the ability to pressure the QB without bringing the house. This makes the secondary infinitely better. Our biggest problem last year was that we didn't have that. Some if it is scheme...and Collins deserves immense credit for that. But having monsters up front makes a difference too. Rebels like to say, "I don't understand why we didn't take shots downfield" and the answer was that they couldn't. We took it away from them because Wallace didn't have time. That's why he threw three (really four) picks...he was running for his life.

OL and DL recruiting....that is where we have to keep improving more than anything. You can have a servicable QB and a servicable secondary, but if you have the big boys, it can totally change the look of your football team.

Any rebel who says "we just played bad," or "playcalling got us beat," or "Bo played a bad game," or "we lost to an inferior team" is a retard. I mean, a world class, delusional retard. State won that game because we were much better in the trenches. Infinitely better.

Good post. I agree completely

smootness
12-02-2013, 01:59 PM
No doubt that our DL helped, but the scheme was definitely different. Last year we just sat back in 'read and react' mode and allowed teams to pick us apart. This year we forced them to make quicker decisions, and I don't think it was about the talent on the DL as much as it was the fact that the opposing offense was never 100% confident about what we were going to do on a particular play and we brought pressure from various spots.

People got on Collins some for the CB blitzes, but the fact that he was willing to do it represented a complete 180 in defensive philosophy.

Bubb Rubb
12-02-2013, 02:04 PM
No doubt that our DL helped, but the scheme was definitely different. Last year we just sat back in 'read and react' mode and allowed teams to pick us apart. This year we forced them to make quicker decisions, and I don't think it was about the talent on the DL as much as it was the fact that the opposing offense was never 100% confident about what we were going to do on a particular play and we brought pressure from various spots.

People got on Collins some for the CB blitzes, but the fact that he was willing to do it represented a complete 180 in defensive philosophy.

We sat back in read/react a lot this year too. We played a little more man than last year, but in the egg bowl, we played almost entirely cover two zone. We occasionally blitzed a linebacker or a safety. The bulk of the pressure came from the DL. That's what happens when you replace a Cherrington with a Chris Jones. That's why it's so important to get Quay and Nick James right.

The zone is what we played last year too, but they torched our asses, because we couldn't get pressure up front, so Bo had time to let his receivers find the holes in the zone. This year he couldn't wait.

I would say the difference in our defense this year is probably 85% attributable to the defensive line.

Bass Chaser
12-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Also instead of a corner blitz in the EB we brought Whitley, so we didn't leave our safety on 1-1.

engie
12-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Pay him -- yesterday. I'm not beating this dead horse anymore -- but there is NO REASON to wait until he's taking interviews to show him the money. A lack of commitment is rewarded by a lack of commitment. It's time we commit to Collins and our entire defensive coaching staff...

smootness
12-02-2013, 02:29 PM
There were also several times, especially late in the year, where the QB was able to scramble out of the pocket and still had nowhere to throw. The DL played better, but the secondary improved by leaps and bounds. It's hard to say we were more talented there this year than last year, so to me it comes down to scheme. We may have continued playing some zone, but we definitely played it better this year than last.

NCDawg
12-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Also, our DL coach, David Turner, did a great job and deserves a pay raise.

rbdog82
12-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Pay him -- yesterday. I'm not beating this dead horse anymore -- but there is NO REASON to wait until he's taking interviews to show him the money. A lack of commitment is rewarded by a lack of commitment. It's time we commit to Collins and our entire defensive coaching staff...

+1

fishwater99
12-02-2013, 03:25 PM
The announcers said it during the game. something like.. "Lock us in a phone booth and MSU can play Big Boy football all day."

Coach34
12-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Also instead of a corner blitz in the EB we brought Whitley, so we didn't leave our safety on 1-1.

THIS- good adjustment

Percho
12-02-2013, 05:40 PM

I don't care if you are Joe Lee or Geoff or Whoever you need to remember: ----Highway: You adapt. You overcome. You improvise. Let's move. Four minutes!

Dawg61
12-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Pay Hevesy while we are at it. What is Scott waiting for? Hire 20 more football people, raise all the assistants salaries, hire a new OC, hire a new ST coach, fire Bracky and completely overhaul the compliance department and the athletic department. There's TONS of work to be done. Get on it Stricklin. Oh yea and hire another assistant coach for basketball.

Westdawg
12-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Pay Hevesy while we are at it. What is Scott waiting for? Hire 20 more football people, raise all the assistants salaries, hire a new OC, hire a new ST coach, fire Bracky and completely overhaul the compliance department and the athletic department. There's TONS of work to be done. Get on it Stricklin. Oh yea and hire another assistant coach for basketball.

I will gladly apply for one of those additional staff positions!!! Extensive work coaching in the southeast and southwest, Mullen! Sign me up!!!

CadaverDawg
12-02-2013, 06:46 PM
I will gladly apply for one of those additional staff positions!!! Extensive work coaching in the southeast and southwest, Mullen! Sign me up!!!

As long as you aren't the guy dropping the turd in his pants in your avatar.*

dawgs
12-02-2013, 06:51 PM

yep, so many in our fanbase doesn't seem to understand that paying bigger $$ attracts better candidates, which is why we are stuck taking chances on relative unknown guys for coordinators and then lose them if they pan out. if we'd pony up the $$ and establish a better baseline pay for our assistants, we'd start getting interest from a lot more proven candidates when we need to make a new hire. our fanbase seems to want to pay a guy the lowest salary in the conference until he proves something, and then we might make him the 12th highest paid guy in his position in the conference. offering a guy a $325K salary to be a sec coordinator is the equivalent of recruiting a 2* guy instead of a 4* guy and hoping you found the diamond int he rough.

archdog
12-02-2013, 08:35 PM
I would second this. Happens in my office all the time.

PendingTransaction
12-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Bubb, you understand football. Great comments!