PDA

View Full Version : Football Helmets as we know them as done

Reason2succeed
08-27-2023, 01:35 PM
I predict that within the next five years that players will be wearing these Guardian caps on their helmets during live games. If it?s safer in practice why wouldn?t you do it in the game? Just for a logo? Nah, print the logo on it and keep your players safer than the other team?s. Mississippi State should take the lead on this and get ahead of the curve.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiSoqvbvP2AAxXIMdQBHWI8CccYABABGgJvYQ&ae=2&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6KunBhDxARIsAKFUGs_ZUyg7r4D0YxYnXgC1 z9tR_5G3i68BuIMQ49q44lK8gMVYBtIVkbYaAhuVEALw_wcB&sig=AOD64_2YcCLLGUP5BeDyarn3_EEZZPyfwA&adurl&ctype=5&ved=2ahUKEwi1s5zbvP2AAxUaEt4AHU8oBFUQwg96BAgBECc&nis=8

R2Dawg
08-27-2023, 01:39 PM
Looks, brand and lower quality game is why they won't do it. IF player safety was the goal, there would be no football.

Leroy Jenkins
08-27-2023, 02:03 PM
There is a slight decrease in impact, roughly 10-12%. There is also a slight increase in probability of neck injury because the guardian caps don't "glance" like hard shells.

The majority of time in practice is not full-on tackling like games so they probably don't know how much more dangerous they would be, if at all.

parabrave
08-27-2023, 02:31 PM
5 years from now it will be flag football with leather helmets. They don't even wear knee pads any more and football pants look more like Biker pants now.

Maverick91
08-27-2023, 07:16 PM
5 years from now it will be flag football with leather helmets. They don't even wear knee pads any more and football pants look more like Biker pants now.

I’m actually okay with the leg pads not being there. Gotta think about rugby they don’t wear anything in general much less their legs. At some point someone that is a decision maker has to stand up and say this is a violent game and people get hurt unfortunately but that’s the risk to the wonderful reward of playing this game.

lastmajordog
08-27-2023, 07:53 PM
DEL

Cooterpoot
08-27-2023, 07:59 PM
The guardian has been around a while. Ain't happening.

SpaceBully
08-27-2023, 10:47 PM
I'd be good with it.

Leroy Jenkins
08-28-2023, 06:38 AM
Remember that Mark Kelso "Gazoo" helmet? I thought that would have been more widespread, but it wasn't stylish enough.

Bubb Rubb
08-28-2023, 08:37 AM
There is a slight decrease in impact, roughly 10-12%. There is also a slight increase in probability of neck injury because the guardian caps don't "glance" like hard shells.

The majority of time in practice is not full-on tackling like games so they probably don't know how much more dangerous they would be, if at all.

This is the answer. The big guys up front wear the guardian caps to minimize incidental blunt contact. The skill guys usually don't wear them while practicing game situations, for the exact reason you give.

louisvilledawg
08-28-2023, 08:43 AM
Hard to articulate over internet, but i feel like safety equipment is almost doing *too* good of a job, or players rely on it too much.

Feel like helmets are so protective they give players confidence to lead with head or not afraid to lower it. Then feel like cleats are doing too good of a job sticking in the ground which potentially leads to more joint/ligament injuries.

Jack Lambert
08-28-2023, 09:10 AM
If they truly wanted to stop head injuries all they have to do is remove the face mask.

Saltydog
08-28-2023, 01:44 PM
Reminds me of "Dark Helmet" from "Space Balls".........

Commercecomet24
08-28-2023, 03:44 PM
If they truly wanted to stop head injuries all they have to do is remove the face mask.

Yeah remember playing tackle football in the backyard growing up, you definitely never led with your head. You learned to use your shoulder and wrap up.

Leroy Jenkins
08-28-2023, 03:56 PM

Having your front teeth pushed up into your gums is not fun

Todd4State
08-28-2023, 07:11 PM
I think they should just come out with Iron Man uniforms and just let guys beat the snot out of each other while causing no damage to the humans inside.