PDA

View Full Version : So does NIL end..

HoopsDawg
08-23-2023, 07:57 PM
If football and basketball players become employees?

Lord McBuckethead
08-23-2023, 08:16 PM
No. Unless that is a term of their employment, and who in the hell would agree to that. The players literally have 100% of the power. Just like higher level workers or construction worker jobs at the moment.

HoopsDawg
08-23-2023, 09:24 PM
No. Unless that is a term of their employment, and who in the hell would agree to that. The players literally have 100% of the power. Just like higher level workers or construction worker jobs at the moment.

I'm assuming if they become employees like Jack Swarbrick predicts then they will get a share of TV revenue. Once you are an employee, there can be a lot of rules put in place...as we adults all know.

coachnorm
08-24-2023, 12:27 AM
Who is going to over rule the Supreme Court to impede NIL?

99jc
08-24-2023, 06:44 AM
Nope NIL is like Covid will continue to mutate and be a royal pain in the Arse~!

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-24-2023, 07:54 AM
I'm assuming if they become employees like Jack Swarbrick predicts then they will get a share of TV revenue. Once you are an employee, there can be a lot of rules put in place...as we adults all know.

Yes there CAN be, but there's no incentive for any school to do it:

In the Pros, players enter through the draft. Teams pick them. If the player wants to play, they have to sign that contract whatever may be in it.

In College, the players pick the school. So if one school had a very restrictive "employee contract", the player will pick a different school.

The teams with big NIL have a competitive advantage over those of us that don't, and they will NOT let that go easily

Coach34
08-24-2023, 08:20 AM
NIL is here to stay until it morphs into the next thing. Players have been paid for years- just under the table. Now its completely legal. Either pay them or become Vandy- thats our choice.

Cooterpoot
08-24-2023, 09:20 AM
If there's a bargaining agreement, then it would simply move to a situation like pro football. Guys could still get paid for image etc like doing commercials, ads, etc etc etc. But, under the table stuff would get limited some, assuming there's language like pro football to eliminate tampering etc.
Eventually it will happen. Eventually players will get part of the tv money too. It'll be the NFL minor league. The goal is to be in it. Fans better start forking out the money until then.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-24-2023, 09:32 AM
NIL is here to stay until it morphs into the next thing. Players have been paid for years- just under the table. Now its completely legal. Either pay them or become Vandy- thats our choice.

I mean there's a scale to it. Be #1 in NIL? You're signing top 3 classes. Be #25 in NIL? Get borderline top 25 talent. We are already well above Vandy level of NIL per our recruiting. But we definitely will have to step it up if we want to break into the top 20. Might even have to step it up just to stay in the top 30 as these other similar to us programs get more invested themselves

Maverick91
08-24-2023, 10:29 AM
Is there anyway to actually get NIL to what it was created for? Making money off your name, image and likeness? And to get away from just paying to play?

This is the part that I was afraid of that we would just be paying players. If not, can we at least change NIL to PSP player stipend program?

CaptainObvious
08-24-2023, 10:44 AM
Is there anyway to actually get NIL to what it was created for? Making money off your name, image and likeness? And to get away from just paying to play?

This is the part that I was afraid of that we would just be paying players. If not, can we at least change NIL to PSP player stipend program?

👆☝🏻☝🏻

They aren?t getting paid for their Name, Image, or Likeness. The government knows it, the Supreme Court knows it, and the NCAA knows it. They are getting paid for their 1) talent 2) potential 3) STARS!

This legalized cheating and we all know it. And by participating in it (which programs and boosters alike will have to do) we are condoning it. It is immoral. Start a dang Minor League for the NFL. Let the best go get paid. And make athletes Students again, who choose Athletics as a way to pay for their education, period. Give them a stipend as a part of scholarship. Do the same for the exceptional student who doesn?t play sports. You bring a 28 or higher ACT with a 4.0 GPA and major in a field that will lead to important research or producing something, you get a stipend of monthly spending money so that you can focus on your academic growth.

You Major in English, Art History, Sociology, or Political Science, you pay double to attend the University!

HoopsDawg
08-24-2023, 11:41 AM
If there's a bargaining agreement, then it would simply move to a situation like pro football. Guys could still get paid for image etc like doing commercials, ads, etc etc etc. But, under the table stuff would get limited some, assuming there's language like pro football to eliminate tampering etc.
Eventually it will happen. Eventually players will get part of the tv money too. It'll be the NFL minor league. The goal is to be in it. Fans better start forking out the money until then.

This is sort of the direction I'm hoping for. The problem will be getting the same bargaining language for different conferences across the board. We know this will be a challenge because the dollars available aren't the same.

Then what about the collateral damage? Football funds the entire athletic development. Should be less money for other sports plus I don't know Title 9 implications.

HoopsDawg
08-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Who is going to over rule the Supreme Court to impede NIL?

Probably no one. But I would have a hard time contributing $50/mo to a collective if the players are getting a big chunk of TV dollars.

R2Dawg
08-24-2023, 12:40 PM

NIL definition is a joke. All you got to do is say I paid them blank $$$$ for having their name on the roster listing in the program. The other poor stories of players do stuff for little kids on the side or can't get a job to make money is BS. NIL by definition is just window dressing nothing to alllow legal pay players. Always was, always will be.

HoopsDawg
08-24-2023, 01:14 PM
Another thought, would they really pay the 3rd string olinemen the same as the QB? This could lead to fewer scholarship players which would be good for MSU.

HancockCountyDog
08-24-2023, 01:53 PM

I think our model for success, at least for now is to look to sign and develop high 3 star and low 4 star guys that want to come to MSU. The McKinney, Forbes, and Saulsberry type of kids that may take a year or two to develop, but when they do, we keep them with NIL money.

I know this isn't the sexy thing to do because people love recruiting, but I think NIL will make recruiting more irrelevant.

I don't see that as an immediate winning strategy because our roster is pretty empty once this senior class leaves, but I think we have to rebuild this way. We enjoy the hell out of this season, take our lumps next year, be frisky in 2025 and be ready for a 8-9 win season in 2026.

At least that is how I think we do it.

Extendedcab
08-24-2023, 02:25 PM
��☝��☝��

They aren?t getting paid for their Name, Image, or Likeness. The government knows it, the Supreme Court knows it, and the NCAA knows it. They are getting paid for their 1) talent 2) potential 3) STARS!

This legalized cheating and we all know it. And by participating in it (which programs and boosters alike will have to do) we are condoning it. It is immoral. Start a dang Minor League for the NFL. Let the best go get paid. And make athletes Students again, who choose Athletics as a way to pay for their education, period. Give them a stipend as a part of scholarship. Do the same for the exceptional student who doesn?t play sports. You bring a 28 or higher ACT with a 4.0 GPA and major in a field that will lead to important research or producing something, you get a stipend of monthly spending money so that you can focus on your academic growth.

You Major in English, Art History, Sociology, or Political Science, you pay double to attend the University!

This is the truth!!! Captain, I tried to Give you some rep but the system will not let me :-( I must spread it around more first.

Lord McBuckethead
08-24-2023, 02:33 PM
It is not cheating. It is fair to the players. If you have a talent, no matter what that talent is, and can legally profit from that talent, then you should have that opportunity. Students can make money. Sorry, but the Supreme Court got it actually correct.

This all could have been avoided if the schools would have agreed on a stipend that was fair for all athletes. But NO. They didn?t want to share the profits earned by the athletes.

Extendedcab
08-24-2023, 03:39 PM
It is not cheating. It is fair to the players. If you have a talent, no matter what that talent is, and can legally profit from that talent, then you should have that opportunity. Students can make money. Sorry, but the Supreme Court got it actually correct.

This all could have been avoided if the schools would have agreed on a stipend that was fair for all athletes. But NO. They didn?t want to share the profits earned by the athletes.

Then go pro if you want to profit from your talents. Collegiate sports initially was an "extracurricular" activity for amateurs, just like high school and junior high, that you have to qualify for - have above a C average. In college, they do get paid - its called a FREE education.

This pro/semi-pro collegiate sports morphing is what is turning off a lot of sports fans like me! I do not know how much longer I can take this BS!

This has only been an issue as stadiums have gotten larger and TV contracts have become lucrative for the school. It is pure GREED by the players! That is the driving force, otherwise nobody would give a rats patoot!

Coach34
08-24-2023, 08:02 PM
Then go pro if you want to profit from your talents. Collegiate sports initially was an "extracurricular" activity for amateurs, just like high school and junior high, that you have to qualify for - have above a C average. In college, they do get paid - its called a FREE education.

This pro/semi-pro collegiate sports morphing is what is turning off a lot of sports fans like me! I do not know how much longer I can take this BS!

This has only been an issue as stadiums have gotten larger and TV contracts have become lucrative for the school. It is pure GREED by the players! That is the driving force, otherwise nobody would give a rats patoot!

Those days ended long, long ago. The Big 3 have been a minor league for the pros since the 1960's

Liverpooldawg
08-24-2023, 09:04 PM
Short answer...no. That Pandora's box is uncloseable.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-24-2023, 09:10 PM

Is it "greed" when you want to be paid more than 30k a year? If your boss offered a raise would you say "no thanks! Don't want to be greedy"?

The players are the ones actually playing the game and putting in work. The coaches make millions. The university profits millions. The rich boosters spend millions on water slides to attract better players. But if a player gets paid... THAT is greed? Not the people hoarding the profit? Not the people being paid millions? Not the boosters who have F you money to spend on college sports? The... poor 21 year old who wants to make money for the first time in his life, THAT is the greedy one because he should be happy with his 30-40k benefits? Again, let's see you live off 30k and then call you greedy if you want more. This is all so self serving and hypocritical from you

MadDawg
08-25-2023, 10:13 AM
Is it "greed" when you want to be paid more than 30k a year? If your boss offered a raise would you say "no thanks! Don't want to be greedy"?

The players are the ones actually playing the game and putting in work. The coaches make millions. The university profits millions. The rich boosters spend millions on water slides to attract better players. But if a player gets paid... THAT is greed? Not the people hoarding the profit? Not the people being paid millions? Not the boosters who have F you money to spend on college sports? The... poor 21 year old who wants to make money for the first time in his life, THAT is the greedy one because he should be happy with his 30-40k benefits? Again, let's see you live off 30k and then call you greedy if you want more. This is all so self serving and hypocritical from you

I couldn't imagine having to make it through college as a 19 year old single guy on only 30-40k in spending money. That would be just too much.

Extendedcab
08-26-2023, 10:02 AM

The problem with your response and others so like minded is yo do not understand the difference between a scholarship and work or pay for work.

Scholarships that are specifically given, which athletics scholarships are, for paying for educational related expenses are not considered work or pay for work and are not therefore taxed by our government. They are provided to pay for school related expenses only. The key here is the person must, first and foremost, be a student or a candidate for a degree.

Work on the other hand or pay for work is given or earned to pay for a persons basic sustenance and if there are leftover funds that can be used as desired by the individual. Pay for work is taxable by our government as it is considered earned income. It is not a scholarship as this person does not have to be a student in order to get paid.

This is the line between being an amateur and a pro. Amateurs are not paid for play but pros are. Yes, pros can negotiate whatever salary they deem is fit and the market will bear. Nobody is arguing that.

Now comes NIL and being paid to play. It is turning amateur sport into pro sports. As a purist, this is a huge turnoff to collegiate sports and soon to be high school sports as well.

This is what old timers like me, and maybe some younger people miss, amateur sports. Amateurs approach the game differently than pros - they do it for the fun and it shows in how they play the game or love of the game and not for the money as pros do.

Let those so like minded turn pro if they have the skills and let those who primarily want an education play collegiate sports and remain amateurs. College sports, as it is today, is crumbling and I do not think will survive the long term. Something will happen in the future whether it is separating the NIL types from college and creating a semi-pro or pro league or it will collapse altogether under its own weight (fans will not be able to afford tickets to pay for bloated costs NIL/other forms of pay to play schemes imposes or travel every other week from coast to coast just to watch their favorite team play a conference opponent).

NOTE: There is already concern, in the press, about these super conferences having "student athletes" fly from coast to coast every other week to play a conference opponent. This is the beginning of its downfall in my opinion.